Any fellow debaters out there?

tmtitleist411

#covertpondering
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.9
Title is self-explanatory. I do congress in NC.

***Edit: I'm on my high school's debate team. I do student congress (there are 5 main debate events: Policy/CX, Lincoln-Douglas/LD, Public Forum/PF, and Student Congress (my event, with a plethora of abbreviations that no one agrees upon).

Last edited:
I sure hope you recognize the authority of the United States' Constitution and its First Amendment

This is generally what happens when a "debate" comes about in school:

You do congress?

I'll show my ignorance here, what kind of congress in NC?
This is my thought. I feel it would be weird if you were in the state congress and posting about it. Maybe it's like a local township and he wants to sound official. Idk lolz. I for one, do love a good debate, which is why I love my AP US History class, so many good discussions and debates take place. Ap Classes>reg classes

This is my thought. I feel it would be weird if you were in the state congress and posting about it. Maybe it's like a local township and he wants to sound official. Idk lolz. I for one, do love a good debate, which is why I love my AP US History class, so many good discussions and debates take place. Ap Classes>reg classes

What is there to debate about in AP US History?

Everything. Current events, evolution, religion, abortion... We have a super die hard almost brain washed Catholic kid who is extremely sheltered and it always seems to come back to those.

Everything. Current events, evolution, religion, abortion... We have a super die hard almost brain washed Catholic kid who is extremely sheltered and it always seems to come back to those.

I liked the debates in AP US. Always fun to debate with other educated people.

Right. I thought you meant you were debating US History. That's where I was confused.

I liked the debates in AP US. Always fun to debate with other educated people.

Just because somebody is IN AP classes doesn't make them any more able to have a functioning and productive debate. I never took an AP class and have a BA in World Politics. I debate quite well on certain subjects.

@Dam Agreed. I have 2 classes that are non AP/honors/special classes. Just required, and I hate them. People just say such stupid things.

Right. I thought you meant you were debating US History. That's where I was confused.

Just because somebody is IN AP classes doesn't make them any more able to have a functioning and productive debate. I never took an AP class and have a BA in World Politics. I debate quite well on certain subjects.

I never really said that. I was more saying that generally people in AP classes are intelligent, but not all intelligent people are in AP classes. Like the square-rectangle thing.

I never really said that. I was more saying that generally people in AP classes are intelligent, but not all intelligent people are in AP classes. Like the square-rectangle thing.

Generally, yes. But I also knew a bunch of AP class kids who were socially defective and could barely interact with people.

I just went through a debate with the wife about where we were getting dinner, but that is it for me. :bicker:

Always. In my OAC (grade 13 before it got abolished here in Ontario about a decade ago) Law class, we had a girl who did that. I picked my seminars specifically to be Abortion and Euthanasia; all I had to do was go up and present a question and she spent an hour yelling at us all. I quite enjoyed it and got good marks lol. I am Science minded, so I particularly enjoy when somebody tries to debate me on how wrong evolution it. It turns out quite amusing [for me].

Always. In my OAC (grade 13 before it got abolished here in Ontario about a decade ago) Law class, we had a girl who did that. I picked my seminars specifically to be Abortion and Euthanasia; all I had to do was go up and present a question and she spent an hour yelling at us all. I quite enjoyed it and got good marks lol. I am Science minded, so I particularly enjoy when somebody tries to debate me on how wrong evolution it. It turns out quite amusing [for me].

Just guard against being one of those people that is so arrogant in how "enlightened" they are, they won't listen to the opinions of others.

Just guard against being one of those people that is so arrogant in how "enlightened" they are, they won't listen to the opinions of others.

Anyone science minded will listen to opinions, it's what a big part of what defines 'science minded'. On the other hand, I do have the pesky habit of demanding evidence, which often makes me come across as belligerent :)

Yea it's fun. We all get along but this kid just won't budge. We love to get him talking about it, of course we don't harass him but he sure is a special kid. And we talk about the illuminati a lot. haha awesome class for sure.

Yea it's fun. We all get along but this kid just won't budge. We love to get him talking about it, of course we don't harass him but he sure is a special kid. And we talk about the illuminati a lot. haha awesome class for sure.

Sounds like a lot of us history being taught in that Advanced Placement us history class.

Same here. We got along great with her, and in general liked her,but every conversation came around to one of the religious anger points. I swear to Joe Pesci she once turned a talk about our favourite food to an argument about abortion. None of us could figure out how. Never talked about her behind her back, but occasionally avoided her table at lunch.

Quit being so sadistic. Of course we learn.
Sounds like a lot of us history being taught in that Advanced Placement us history class.

Back