Costs of Lessons - Does it Stop You?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Been thinking about this a bit lately. While my course has more reasonable lesson prices (I think it's somewhere in the realm of 60 per hour) my go-to Professional - AKA the person who actually helps my swing rather than wastes my time - charges 90 per hour and is now about a half hour away from my house.

I think that's pretty steep, and I believe it's stopped me from going to see him on a more regular basis despite my belief that I need a lesson to improve my ball striking. So I ask you guys, how much does cost factor in why your lesson frequency? Is there a number you'd be more inclined to pay for lessons on a regular basis?

Dan great question.

I have gotten a couple of lessons, but didn't find them all that useful for my game. I am not saying lessons aren't important, but I don't think the instructor and I meshed, so I have been leery of instructors at golf courses.

I looked into GolfTec, but I just cannot justify the $$. It is either playing or taking lessons, and I don't want to stop playing. I know I will never be a low capper without lessons, but right now I am just not inclined to take them and sacrifice playing golf with my friends. Hopefully when I have more disposable income I will be able to look into them more seriously.

Been thinking about this a bit lately. While my course has more reasonable lesson prices (I think it's somewhere in the realm of 60 per hour) my go-to Professional - AKA the person who actually helps my swing rather than wastes my time - charges 90 per hour and is now about a half hour away from my house.

I think that's pretty steep, and I believe it's stopped me from going to see him on a more regular basis despite my belief that I need a lesson to improve my ball striking. So I ask you guys, how much does cost factor in why your lesson frequency? Is there a number you'd be more inclined to pay for lessons on a regular basis?

The guy I have gotten lessons from in the past offers a package of $150 for 3 one hour lessons, which is a pretty fair price IMO. He is a good teacher and easy to work with. I don't know how much more I would pay for a lesson. $90 per might be a bit much for my budget. My biggest issue is finding the time to get lessons as I can't do it during the week and he doesn't work Sundays, so that only leaves Saturdays.

Not so much cost that keeps me from more lessons....more a lack of desire to take lessons.

Now when I do take them, cost is a factor and I won't pay more than around $60/hour.

Yes for me it has.

In a perfect world Id do golftec year around, but the cost just doesnt afford me to do that.

So I did 12 lessons this year with a guy who I worked out a deal with. Great guy but it just hasnt done anything for me and setting up the actual lessons has been darn near impossible.

Hoping I can find someone this off season that knows his stuff and is reasonably priced and go from there

The guy I have gotten lessons from in the past offers a package of $150 for 3 one hour lessons, which is a pretty fair price IMO. He is a good teacher and easy to work with. I don't know how much more I would pay for a lesson. $90 per might be a bit much for my budget. My biggest issue is finding the time to get lessons as I can't do it during the week and he doesn't work Sundays, so that only leaves Saturdays.

I'd be ALL over 150 for 3 one hours. hell, lock me in at that price for 10 lessons at my preferred times over the course of the next year or so!

Not so much cost that keeps me from more lessons....more a lack of desire to take lessons.

Now when I do take them, cost is a factor and I won't pay more than around $60/hour.

Why no desire, out of curiosity?

It definitely puts me off for sure. I also don't have the time to really practice what I would learn from a lesson so that is another reason I haven't taken any. Once my kids get a bit older, I would like to set up a place in the yard where I can practice.

To answer the question, cost plays a big role in lessons for me. I took three lessons this year getting ready for the MC, and went to a guy that was a little cheaper and maybe not as helpful as a top pro in the city. I spent $30 for a 45 minute lesson while others in town are $60-$90. I don't know what they do differently, but I don't think I really want to pay to find out at this point.

I was payiing $40/hr so I was quite pleased with that ... until he decided he'd rather get married and move out of state. There is a guy down the road at the local CC but he charges $75/hr. Debating whether I really want to go see him. Maybe now during the off-season would be the best time to work on my game so I hit the ground running next spring. Cobbling together the money though is the hard part. It's going to take more than a couple of lessons ...

So I would ask this question ... if you're going to start lessons, when would be the best time to start them?

I'd be ALL over 150 for 3 one hours. hell, lock me in at that price for 10 lessons at my preferred times over the course of the next year or so!

It's a great deal, which is why it kills me not being able to make it out there during the week when he has more time.

I would LOVE to take lessons! Basically, I love doing anything golf related at all. The time commitment is what keeps me from doing it, something would have to give and likely it would be my rounds of golf. I can't see giving up playing for lessons...

Golf is already burdensome to my wife at times....throwing lessons in might tip the scales and get it banished from the home!

Why no desire, out of curiosity?

Because I won't take the time to integrate recommended changes. I despise the range with a passion.

Also, I'm pretty content with my game. Current swing plus frequent playing (weekly) can get me to a 7 max and I would be happy with that.

Being a 2 would be great but I won't put in extra range time to get there.

I have always wanted to take some lessons, but I have heard horror stories about it screwing up their game and it worries me. BUT Considering how horribly I have been playing this last month I am seriously considering taking lessons for the first time ever in prep for The Grandaddy. Cost is definitely a factor. I am looking at a sheet right now and its 45/half hr and 90/hr or I can get 4 1/2 hrs for 160.

Which is more beneficial? I don't what you can accomplish in 1/2 hr but it seems like it would fly by.

Cost is a factor. It has never really stopped me from taking lessons but the status of the pocket book impacts things like when I sign up (or don't) for lessons, the package I buy, etc.

Definitely. My first instructor charged $60 for 3 30 minute lessons. Older retired gentleman who lived in rural Missouri and happened to be a PGA instructor ..he said he taught as a hobby, not to make a living. My cheapest yet favorite instructor, unfortunately I moved away after the first 3 sessions.

Since then I haven't found an instructor worth the cost, just my opinion.

Definitely think it's too expensive but my bigger issue is that I won't commit the time to practice what is worked on during lessons.

Cost doesnt play as much as a role as teaching philosophy IMO. You can have someone cheap, but if it takes 10+ lessons to grasp their concepts then it might not be worth it. My instructor charges $350 for 5 45 min lessons. He is both afforadable and his concepts are easy to grasp. You might balk at paying a higher price but in the end if it only takes a couple of lessons it might be better. To me, this is the most important aspect of improvement, not equipment

It is for sure, though the last two years I just dealt with it and paid the money since I had some important things that I needed to accomplish. I have considered doing the same this winter, but now the cost/benefit ratio is sort of skewed and I'm not sure I'm willing.

I have always wanted to take some lessons, but I have heard horror stories about it screwing up their game and it worries me. BUT Considering how horribly I have been playing this last month I am seriously considering taking lessons for the first time ever in prep for The Grandaddy. Cost is definitely a factor. I am looking at a sheet right now and its 45/half hr and 90/hr or I can get 4 1/2 hrs for 160.

Which is more beneficial? I don't what you can accomplish in 1/2 hr but it seems like it would fly by.

Speaking from experience, 1/2 hour would be a tune up, 1 hour would be a "help me something's wrong" (just in my experience)

The time definitely flies.

i agree...$90/hr is steep.

lessons from pros are probably invaluable, but depending on what exactly you need fixed, i think there are ways to take care of that yourself, without the need for a lesson.

i'm more apt to try to fix myself, before i pay for any lessons. especially at that price. i think $60/hr as you mentioned, is much more reasonable. that's about where i would draw the line. i'm also more inclined to go to pros for data, rather than swing tips. ya know, "am i playing the right clubs, shafts, ball, etc..." and in the process of that, if there are swing tips to be had, then i'll take them.

The one time I took a lesson from the head teaching pro at the most swank course in town and didn't ask the rate beforehand it certainly did. As he swiped the card for $225 for a one-hour lesson, I decided I would never make that mistake again.

Up to about $100, I'm OK. Any more than that and it will definitely make me think twice.

Huge factor. I did a 10 lesson pack from GolfTec this last year and won't be renewing when they are gone. Way too expensive sand I've played my worst golf ever. A range pass a few trips a week will help me far more than over priced lessons. This isn't a knock on my teacher either as I've felt he is really good and we mesh well. It just put far too many thoughts in my head at all times

I pay $225.00 for 3 1-hour lessons and I think it is more valuable then any new club I can purchase.

I'm working with a guy who's $600 for 10 lessons. He's got video and a flightscope x2. After just 1 lesson I added 15-20 yards to my drives and I'm hitting them straighter.

The package includes 10 hours of lessons, 3 holes of "on course" instruction, and 4 golf passes.

Huge factor. I did a 10 lesson pack from GolfTec this last year and won't be renewing when they are gone. Way too expensive sand I've played my worst golf ever. A range pass a few trips a week will help me far more than over priced lessons. This isn't a knock on my teacher either as I've felt he is really good and we mesh well. It just put far too many thoughts in my head at all times

I'm not a teacher, but I feel like giving a student too many swing thoughts is a recipe for disaster. The guy I've taken lessons from keeps it simple and we only work on a few things at a time and it has made all the difference. I would recommned if take lessons in the future someone who can maybe simplify things for you.

Back