Callaway XR Irons - THP Review

I know everyone's focus and excitement here really seems focused on the XR Pro's and not the XR's, but there is definitely something here to take note of:
  • They aren't as big as people are making them out to be, they really aren't. While Callaway's rounded type shape may not be for everyone, the standard XR are a balanced design. The topline is bigger, but not "chunky", the sole width is what you would expect in a design in this category, and the offset isn't bad at all compared to many irons I have had in hand and at address. Its a good balance that fits a target area for sure.
  • The TT Speed Step 80's are stable enough, good launchers, not going to get a ton of "feel", but no issues holding up to my SS through the set. Higher launch, mid spin.
  • The clubs LAUNCH the ball and do so with a lower spin than I have seen in like classed heads, now, lower spin DOES NOT MEAN ISSUES HOLDING GREENS in irons when the launch is there, I hit the 8 balls into a 202 yard Par 3 yesterday with the 5i and had no issue holding the green on all 8 shots. I've also seen plenty of "action" with scoring irons into the greens. No issues there with the lower spin.
  • That spin and launch though does mean one thing, distance. Compared to the Apex I'm seeing about a 5-7 yard jump, for me, per club, compared to my VPC's its about 10-11 yards and no I'm not lying. Distance will vary for everyone, but thanks to some SOGGY conditions yesterday I was able to really track my carry numbers with GPS and laser and the increase, for me, is real. Some will argue against the "need" of a 179 yard 7i, but pulling that number into a green from that distance is exciting. Everyone is different in their needs.
  • I also had no issues with partial swings through the set, I especially focused on this with the PW yesterday since I forgot my 50/54/58 at home, played it all around the green with little runners, some nice pitches from 20-40, and partial swings from 90-150. Sure, that's not ideal, BUT, it can be done for those so focused on "gaps" with these distance irons. I wish I had the AW to test though, that I will admit.
  • 360 Cup-Face is legit. I've got no other way to put it, I hit the ball ALL OVER the face yesterday and though you do still see some diminishing returns on the misses, its definitely lessened than I see with my gamers and even the Apex. Off the toe it was silly yesteday, on a handful of yards were lost and the line was kept well. Most telling though has been the height I still see on shots LOW on the face, typical low liners are more low-mid liners, doesn't seem like a big deal, but when so many am's have that miss a little bit more retained launch can be a BIG deal.
  • Also on the cup-face, the ball speeds I tracked yesterday on those misses were pretty intriguing, "pure" (silly internet golf lingo) shots were what I expected, but it was on those near misses and larger misses that the retention numbers caught my attention. Really need a range session JUST to track this soon.
  • The polished chrome on the iron is wearing as expected, seeing brushing on that (scratches) from the interactions but nothing I haven't come to expect, hos this finish wears is why I'm amazed more haven't moved from it. Quality is fine, but it just loses some of that aesthetically pleasing nature for me over time, thats personal though.
  • And I have to say it again, these stock grips are just not good.

I know everyone's focus and excitement here really seems focused on the XR Pro's and not the XR's, but there is definitely something here to take note of:
  • They aren't as big as people are making them out to be, they really aren't. While Callaway's rounded type shape may not be for everyone, the standard XR are a balanced design. The topline is bigger, but not "chunky", the sole width is what you would expect in a design in this category, and the offset isn't bad at all compared to many irons I have had in hand and at address. Its a good balance that fits a target area for sure.
  • The TT Speed Step 80's are stable enough, good launchers, not going to get a ton of "feel", but no issues holding up to my SS through the set. Higher launch, mid spin.
  • The clubs LAUNCH the ball and do so with a lower spin than I have seen in like classed heads, now, lower spin DOES NOT MEAN ISSUES HOLDING GREENS in irons when the launch is there, I hit the 8 balls into a 202 yard Par 3 yesterday with the 5i and had no issue holding the green on all 8 shots. I've also seen plenty of "action" with scoring irons into the greens. No issues there with the lower spin.
  • That spin and launch though does mean one thing, distance. Compared to the Apex I'm seeing about a 5-7 yard jump, for me, per club, compared to my VPC's its about 10-11 yards and no I'm not lying. Distance will vary for everyone, but thanks to some SOGGY conditions yesterday I was able to really track my carry numbers with GPS and laser and the increase, for me, is real. Some will argue against the "need" of a 179 yard 7i, but pulling that number into a green from that distance is exciting. Everyone is different in their needs.
  • I also had no issues with partial swings through the set, I especially focused on this with the PW yesterday since I forgot my 50/54/58 at home, played it all around the green with little runners, some nice pitches from 20-40, and partial swings from 90-150. Sure, that's not ideal, BUT, it can be done for those so focused on "gaps" with these distance irons. I wish I had the AW to test though, that I will admit.
  • 360 Cup-Face is legit. I've got no other way to put it, I hit the ball ALL OVER the face yesterday and though you do still see some diminishing returns on the misses, its definitely lessened than I see with my gamers and even the Apex. Off the toe it was silly yesteday, on a handful of yards were lost and the line was kept well. Most telling though has been the height I still see on shots LOW on the face, typical low liners are more low-mid liners, doesn't seem like a big deal, but when so many am's have that miss a little bit more retained launch can be a BIG deal.
  • Also on the cup-face, the ball speeds I tracked yesterday on those misses were pretty intriguing, "pure" (silly internet golf lingo) shots were what I expected, but it was on those near misses and larger misses that the retention numbers caught my attention. Really need a range session JUST to track this soon.
  • The polished chrome on the iron is wearing as expected, seeing brushing on that (scratches) from the interactions but nothing I haven't come to expect, hos this finish wears is why I'm amazed more haven't moved from it. Quality is fine, but it just loses some of that aesthetically pleasing nature for me over time, thats personal though.
  • And I have to say it again, these stock grips are just not good.
Nice write up Jman! Are you going to end up with a gap where you transition from the XRs to the more standard style wedges?

Nice write up Jman! Are you going to end up with a gap where you transition from the XRs to the more standard style wedges?
For me I'll be fine with the 50 degree there during testing, there will be a difference, but nothing a 3/4 PW can't cure

Jman,
I would never have tried this club if it had not been in the hitting bay just sitting there. Mostly do to my perceived thoughts that I need something different, but after taking those swings and seeing the results I am going to go try them out at the Annika Academy with different shafts and hit them outdoors. Should be interesting to see if things get easier.

I think it was the Speedstep 80 I hit and it felt fine it just was sky balls off the mat, I need the help (heck I am playing 545's and not scoring well) I think I overloaded myself with the Steelfiber 110 in stiff but that is not the main issue.

These will get a serious look and if I can put my ego aside might be the way to go. I love Callaway gear and Customer Service so we will see what happens.

James,

great writeup dude. The yardage increase from Vapor PCs was to be expected IMO, but an increase from Apex is awesome. Wish they would have given you the GW, but seems you could manage without it long-term if need be.

Jman,
I would never have tried this club if it had not been in the hitting bay just sitting there. Mostly do to my perceived thoughts that I need something different, but after taking those swings and seeing the results I am going to go try them out at the Annika Academy with different shafts and hit them outdoors. Should be interesting to see if things get easier.

I think it was the Speedstep 80 I hit and it felt fine it just was sky balls off the mat, I need the help (heck I am playing 545's and not scoring well) I think I overloaded myself with the Steelfiber 110 in stiff but that is not the main issue.

These will get a serious look and if I can put my ego aside might be the way to go. I love Callaway gear and Customer Service so we will see what happens.

Hey, everyone's got their likes, and I get why the XR Pro's are getting the looks they are (hell, I'm past looking) especially with Cally talking about how better ballstrikers have seen distance gains with the Pro's over the XR. To me though, these just fit a big segment out there, if they would just try them and not write them off.

But, put Pro on something and people start drooling.

James,

great writeup dude. The yardage increase from Vapor PCs was to be expected IMO, but an increase from Apex is awesome. Wish they would have given you the GW, but seems you could manage without it long-term if need be.

Eh, I knew there would be a jump, but I expected Apex. My VPC 8i is 155, Apex 160, and these pushing 170, that's crazy talk.

I'm still a little torn between these and the pros. I liked the look of the pros a little better and I'm worried that I hit these too high, but I'm also hesitant to forego the extra forgiveness. These are seriously great irons.

I'm still a little torn between these and the pros. I liked the look of the pros a little better and I'm worried that I hit these too high, but I'm also hesitant to forego the extra forgiveness. These are seriously great irons.

Lots of no upcharge options available too if you think the SS 80's will launch too much.

Lots of no upcharge options available too if you think the SS 80's will launch too much.

It was actually both S300s and Tour Vs that I was getting high launch with -- I think this just might an iron that I hit really high. Even still, these definitely have my attention.

Just got the call the ones we ordered for my daughter are in, and about to go pick them up. Be interesting to see what she thinks once she can hit them on the course.

I was able to hit these yesterday in a hitting bay at the local Dick's. 7-iron with stock regular shaft. Hitting bay had a finicky monitor that couldn't be turned around for my left handedness, so I don't have any ball flight data. I can say that the irons felt nice and I thought they were designed really well for the GI group (where I'm firmly seated). Topline was a little big, but not objectionable. Something I could certainly get used to. Sure, you notice some offset but I'm a little picky there, and the amount of it wasn't off-putting for me at all.

Callaway is offering some nice shaft upgrades at no upcharge through the end of the month, and that's a nice touch. I've got an outside demo day this coming weekend and hope to get some more experience with these. But from an initial looks/feel standpoint, I'm thinking these are really nice. Sure, my ego says I'd be fine with the "Pro" label, but with me playing only about a dozen times a year, the extra forgiveness and larger size of these irons might just do the trick.

It was actually both S300s and Tour Vs that I was getting high launch with -- I think this just might an iron that I hit really high. Even still, these definitely have my attention.
They're definitely designed to put a good launch on the ball.
Just got the call the ones we ordered for my daughter are in, and about to go pick them up. Be interesting to see what she thinks once she can hit them on the course.
Nice! Hope she enjoys them.

leaning the XRs but what shaft do i get so many free ones???!!!!!

Nice write up James, I still these are some of the sharpest looking Callaway irons made. Glad the cupped face technology is actually something noticeable rather than hype, seems like they have a winner.

Ordered. We're just about 2 months from season here, so should be in lots of time. Tried the stock steel and graphite plus the Recoil, the PX graphite easily worked best for me. Well struck 7i, I'm picking up 6-8 yds, (from MT588's, I also have i20's and hit them well but am very short with them) which I can use as that still leaves me a hair shy of 150, with the odd one rolling out over 150 on 2 different sims. Lots of forgiveness, wayyyyyy out on the toe I still get 130+ and I don't do that often.

1* up, Lamkin Crossline, 2 wraps, 5i-AW.

I just noticed my bag is all 2 brands, and I traded in an Odyssey (Callaway) putter as part of the deal, and just sold an X2Hot driver. Could have had an all Call bag, but the Pings I have just work for me so I don't care.

Its a solid shaft option in this head. Feels great and performance to match.

I love all the options Callaway is rolling out for products at no charge. Such a common sense thing, yet no one else will step up and put up that many different no up options themelves.

Putting these to work again today after work and then on Sunday with a group of THP'ers. If anyone has anything in particular you want me to focus in on, don't hesitate to post it up!

One word and one word only.

J-U-M-P-E-R-S

J-U-M-P-E-R-S

Hahahaha, damn you.

I've seen none yet, but I plan on dropping 8-10 balls from the same distances a few times just to make sure.

Hehehehe.

Inquiring minds want to know!

J-U-M-P-E-R-S

For whatever it's worth being limited experience, I've hit the 7i on 2 different monitors over 5-6 sessions and the worst I've seen that could be a little jumper or could be just the 'best swing deviation' is about 5y long in the air a couple times out of 150-175 swings. Curious to see a) what everyone else says and b) what my outdoor experience is going to be (still well over a month from even ranges opening here)....but I'm not a strong swinger, top out around 70mph 7i, owned the Burner 2.0's for 2 seasons and never really saw any.

Putting these to work again today after work and then on Sunday with a group of THP'ers. If anyone has anything in particular you want me to focus in on, don't hesitate to post it up!

I'm thinking I'd sure appreciate your opinion on what these clubs do well during your round, but also what (if anything) is missing in them, or not as strong in them, that you've seen with other irons that you like.

Thanks and have fun on your round.

For whatever it's worth being limited experience, I've hit the 7i on 2 different monitors over 5-6 sessions and the worst I've seen that could be a little jumper or could be just the 'best swing deviation' is about 5y long in the air a couple times out of 150-175 swings. Curious to see a) what everyone else says and b) what my outdoor experience is going to be (still well over a month from even ranges opening here)....but I'm not a strong swinger, top out around 70mph 7i, owned the Burner 2.0's for 2 seasons and never really saw any.

Sorry that was tongue in cheek.

Back