Wilson Staff C100 Irons Review

I've had these irons on my mind quite a bit lately. Paired with CTLs or Tour 90s would be a killer combo.
What a combo, indeed. I think that has Legacy written all over it :D

Performance looks solid for you guys. What do you think about their looks? If I were in the market for irons I think these would be a logical choice, though from the pictures I'm not a fan of that two tone look.

Performance looks solid for you guys. What do you think about their looks? If I were in the market for irons I think these would be a logical choice, though from the pictures I'm not a fan of that two tone look.

I personally like the look. I will say that I have dinged up the finish on the face of the club outside the grooves, so it's not mirror shiny like it was originally on a few of my clubs. However, it's more durable than I expected. At least once I damaged it by using a brush (one of those brushes with nylon bristles surrounding a few metal bristles). It's not horrible, but some small scratches are visible. I feel like the two tone helps me align the clubface.

I personally like the look of black irons over the sliver ones. The finish is holding up good minus a couple ball marks on the toe from a couple of miss hits.

My Speedblades have a similar two-tone look. I don't like it when I just look at them, but it doesn't bother me on the course.

I like the two tone look, it shows off the details of the design nicely. If you have the chance you should demo them, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not a huge fan of the two tone thing going on with these on the soles. Its not enough to be a deterrent its just not what I prefer.

What shaft tip size do the C100s have?

I think I remember reading somewhere that all .370 tip shafts were parallel tip. Is that right?
I don't know for sure. I will defer to someone with a little more shaft knowledge than me.

370 is parallel, 355 is taper tip.

Hit these today at my fitting with Wilson Staff. Aesthetically they are a great looking iron, the blend of glossy black and nickel works very well. Top line is a little thicker than im used to with my Apex Pros, but it's not alarming. These were paired with the True temper CL100 steel shafts. I found these to be a lot of fun to hit. Distance wise they were comperable to everything I hit except the D200's. The weighting of these felt very nice, and the ball seemed to get off the face pretty quickly. These seem to launch a bit higher than I expected, but that could of very well been a product of shaft too. At a very reasonable price point these are a great iron for the money. They fit very well inside the line of Distance Control and Feel the Wilson Staff has established.

So you didn't find these longer than the V4s or M3s?

It's very difficult to say, because of shafts. If these had the fitted shaft in them I would expect to see an increase. I was hitting a pretty high ball with the C100. Similar to the DGPro shaft that was originally in the V4

I was hitting in the bay next to T2G this afternoon. I only hit 7 irons with the stock shafts, but I hit all the iron models.

In my experience, my best shots with each model, excepting the D200, were within a 10 yard circle. The rub is that as you move up the line, the club demands a more precise strike to realize full distance potential.

IME, you're going to have to get hands on with several shaft options to see what works best for you and if the distance you see is satisfactory. IMHO, if you want to use strictly distance as your gold standard for comparing clubs then I think you're going to be disappointed comparing a players iron to a GI iron.

I was hitting in the bay next to T2G this afternoon. I only hit 7 irons with the stock shafts, but I hit all the iron models.

In my experience, my best shots with each model, excepting the D200, were within a 10 yard circle. The rub is that as you move up the line, the club demands a more precise strike to realize full distance potential.

IME, you're going to have to get hands on with several shaft options to see what works best for you and if the distance you see is satisfactory. IMHO, if you want to use strictly distance as your gold standard for comparing clubs then I think you're going to be disappointed comparing a players iron to a GI iron.

so much this part. Especially the last line.

I hit the C100s quite a bit on Saturday. Strangely, Wilson only had a 7 iron at their own demo day. Still, here are my thoughts on this club. For whatever reason, I thought it was harder to control, and by that, I mean it seemed more difficult to feel where the club head was at throughout the swing. The offset is there, which didn't offend my eyes. I was pulling the first handful of shots, but made a few tweaks and got it closer to on line. The face is forgiving, but nothing like the D200s. I don't try to work the ball usually, although occasionally, I may try to play a draw if I'm hitting iron off a tee. No issues getting this club to draw (or fade for that matter).

I thought the turf interaction was a little tougher with these compared to a players iron. But it may just be that it's different from what I'm used to. Either way, it was noticeable.

The C100 7 iron was a full club longer than the m3 7 iron. They had nearly the same launch angle. From watching the ball flights, it appeared the m3 7 iron had a steeper angle of descent. Also, based on the sound of the ball going through the air, it seemed like the m3 had more spin than the c100. There was no launch monitor available, and I hope to get on one to see if my observations match what the launch monitor says about it.

Overall, a solid club, and good looking too.

~Rock

Pretty much my thoughts between the two exactly.

I have pretty much 99% decided I'm going C100s for Legacy.

I like the M3s but they just don't offer enough "intangibles" to overcome the distance loss vs the C100s. I like hitting 180 yard 7 irons and giving that up in a tournament like this would be pointless.

I like the M3s but they just don't offer enough "intangibles" to overcome the distance loss vs the C100s. I like hitting 180 yard 7 irons and giving that up in a tournament like this would be pointless.
I wish I could hit 180 7 irons lol. Take 20 yards off that and we've got the same thoughts

I wish I could hit 180 7 irons lol. Take 20 yards off that and we've got the same thoughts
It's more club related than anything else. I hit the M3 7i about 165 and my old DPC 7i 160.

C100s (and other similar irons) are long clubs. Effortless launch is a recipe for distance in my experience.

I like this move - I like it a lot. Your ability to hit silly long iron shots is a key component of your ability to score, and you're right, it doesn't make sense to give that up heading into a pressure situation.

My AP1s have been put on notice... The C100s are moving in.

Paired with the KBS CTL I'm super excited to see what these bad boys can do!

These irons and the FG Tour wedges are what I am most excited about equipment wise for Legacy. With the KBS engines in them they are going to be so damn special, and I just have a feeling they are going to be awesome performers.

Back