Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year my aunt came into town for a week and after I mentioned I was golfing she said "I want to go". Now my aunt doesnt golf and simply wanted to ride in the cart, drink a few beers and maybe swing the club once. Before leaving to go she said "wait, do you have a collared shirt I can wear?". I said of course and found her something that kinda fit, she tucked it in and we were on our way. She never once thought omg I have to wear this? She knows nothing about golf but knew enough to try and look somewhat presentable on the course. It didn't even for a second make her not want to play, discourage her or drive her away from the game as some mentioned. She had an awesome time just riding and hitting some balls and now wants to play EVERY SINGLE TIME she visits. Guess what? She even bought herself a polo and little shorts just to ride in the cart!!!! She isnt rich or anything of the sort, she just likes to dress appropriately. Driving people away from the game? I think not

Buddy told me he played at some cow pasture course in rural Michigan that had a sign saying "Shirts required on holes 1,9,10 and 18"

I once negotiated a $5 an hour clothing allowance into a contract because the job required me to wear a tie. I didn't even own a button down shirt, much less a tie, so I totally understand how someone may not own some article of clothing that I think is everyday wear.

You are crazy :alien:, not everyone has these items or feels they are needed in life. They stick to what they know and that's it. The same holds true for some golfers. They don't own golf pants or a polo. They play their golf at tracks that allow this and are happy with it. Some courses have laxed rules and guys just like playing in jeans, that is their choice. If the club doesn't mind, why should anyone else.

If your club doesn't allow attire outside of golf attire then I am all for following the rules and holding people to those rules. But if the course doesn't then I have no dog in the fight.

I think part of the issue with this thread it hat it is perceived that guys that were jeans are lesser. And that some would not tee it up with these guys. That I have an issue with, no a dress code.As I read through, that is the feeling I get. Not saying its you but I thunk some feel that way.

I think that last part hits the nail on the head. Which is causing some to get a little touchy about the subject.

Personally, I love just about everything about today's golf attire. Good golf pants/shorts and a good polo might just be the most comfortable thing I wear. Something about that whole "look good feel good play good" saying that I buy into. But I don't feel like I'm in a place to judge what others wear (and if I do, I just keep it to myself) especially if it's within the rules of the course

Exactly it is human nature to judge anything different.

Also keep in mind you may be OK with jeans but what if the other three in your group are uncomfortable with it? I personally would not be bringing anyone to my course that I knew would be wearing jeans. All are entitled to do what they want and dress how they want but your choice may make others act a certain way. All actions have a reaction and just because the reaction may not be what you like doesn't make either side wrong this goes for life as well as dress.

People absolutely judge you based on how you dress and present yourself. Right or wrong that is the way it is.

In my profession, how you dress absolutely will result in judgment upon you, both in terms of your respect (or lack thereof) and upon your skills as a lawyer. It's just the way it is.

Question for the guys who love playing in skynard shirts, jeans and work boots. Do you look at someone funny if they show up in shorts showing off their underwear, that are halfway down their shins, with a Tupac tee and multiple gold chains?

People still wear Tupac shirts?

Buddy told me he played at some cow pasture course in rural Michigan that had a sign saying "Shirts required on holes 1,9,10 and 18"

So I'm guessing their theory was, "if we don't see it, we don't care"?

~Rock

In my profession, how you dress absolutely will result in judgment upon you, both in terms of your respect (or lack thereof) and upon your skills as a lawyer. It's just the way it is.

People still wear Tupac shirts?

So I'm guessing their theory was, "if we don't see it, we don't care"?

~Rock
You have a problem with my Tupac shirt?

Elitist

Pleated shorts offend me worse than jeans.

Obviously, you've never seen me in a pair of flat front shorts. Talk about offending to the eye.

You have a problem with my Tupac shirt?

Elitist

Well, I mean, I don't know, what are the rules about wearing shirts of people who are still alive (or is he??) But back to your other post about wearing shorts so low the underwear is showing. Yes, I look at those people funny, I tell myself "wow, that dude needs a belt. But then I realized that today, there are girls and women wearing yoga pants so tight that it literally leaves nothing to the imagination, so why should I be upset that some guy wears shorts around his knees.

~Rock

Speedos on a golf course. Because it's the ultimate tan/heat control.

Also, AdamW? At least he wears a collared shirt with them.

I got busted a couple times for taking my shirt off on the private course I belonged to when I was 19 or 20 years old. It was so super hot and humid that there were only about 5 groups on the course with no other golfers within sight. A member drove by the road next to the 15th hole and ratted us out. I told the assistant pro who drove out to have us put our shirts on that we looked better without shirts. He wasn't buying it.:act-up:

Well, I mean, I don't know, what are the rules about wearing shirts of people who are still alive (or is he??) But back to your other post about wearing shorts so low the underwear is showing. Yes, I look at those people funny, I tell myself "wow, that dude needs a belt. But then I realized that today, there are girls and women wearing yoga pants so tight that it literally leaves nothing to the imagination, so why should I be upset that some guy wears shorts around his knees.

~Rock
Haha, most of skynard are dead as well, so I imagine it's the same rule.

Do Dress Codes bother you?

18 pages about a dress code.

I'm Not minimizing anyone's opinion, but to me it's simple. Follow the rules of the course. If you need a collared shirt and golf shorts, then that's what you wear. If the course doesn't care then I don't care.

We all come from various backgrounds & this wonderful game is what we have in common. Our experiences are unique and shape what we feel is "right" & just as someone is only used to experiencing/adhering to a stricter dress code, other are only used to a relaxed one.

Take a deep breath, have fun & it isn't personal, it's just the Internet.

I've played in flip flops/no shoes and t shirts before and once in a blue moon will do so, but I would never want to play in jeans just from a comfort standpoint.

Just for my own sake, I want it clear that I am firmly in the camps of "whatever you wear on the course is fine, as long as it abides by the course rules", and "the course dress code rules need to be respected".

And visions of nudity and toe clipping on airplanes just don't need to be seen, especially from this group. Some of us have to eat, you know.

Honest question. If you play a course with no dress code and the guy next to you is in daisy dukes and a wife beater with a giant belt buckle of the confederate flag you tell me you don't assume or judge anything?

Cmon now...just because it's extreme doesn't mean the case changes.
It's not that extreme. They weren't daisy duke short, but I have played with a guy in cutoff jeans and a wife beater before.
We are obviously from different neighbourhoods, if you feel that gives you the right to judge me then I can't stop you.

Andy, why do you take offense to people wanting to adhere to a dress code? And why do you think that carries over onto THP and who should feel comfortable being on the site? No one is asking you to wear a collared shirt while posting buddy!!!

Like me he doesn't think that strict codes are necessary. Your comments make it appear that you feel that you are better than those of us who hold that opinion. You place us below you on the social scale solely because we like to wear jeans to the course. We only do this where it is allowed, and if not allowed, we either don't play there or we dress as they feel is appropriate. This isn't - or at least it shouldn't be - a "my way or the highway" situation, yet some of the posts in this thread suggest exactly that. If one condones the wearing of jeans and or a t-shirt to play golf, he is the lowest of the low, untouchable.

Some of those same people who are so strict about proper apparel are also some who feel that it is okay to play loose with the rules. They are the same ones who get in my face every time I respond on a rules question here. I consider reasonable adherence to the rules and etiquette of the game to be a far more important measure of a golfer than what he wears to the course.

Your comments make it appear that you feel that you are better than those of us who hold that opinion.
Not going to speak for him personally, but I didn't read his comments that way. He was stating his opinion and preference. If he didn't mean it that way, and you still think it says what he doesn't mean ... that's on you, not him.

It's not that extreme. They weren't daisy duke short, but I have played with a guy in cutoff jeans and a wife beater before.
We are obviously from different neighbourhoods, if you feel that gives you the right to judge me then I can't stop you.
Dude you are looking at this from a chip on the shoulder stand point when everybody keeps saying the same thing. Nobody has a care what anybody wears if the course allows it.

Ironically you skipped over the part of judgement on the confederate flag. You have been to a thp event including a heck of a grand one. Anybody judge you because of where you came from? Or were you treated with respect from the minute you arrived?

Also some irony of I came from a single parent that was a school teacher with two of us living in a small apt. My guess is our neighborhoods are different and yet both found this great game.

Like me he doesn't think that strict codes are necessary. Your comments make it appear that you feel that you are better than those of us who hold that opinion. You place us below you on the social scale solely because we like to wear jeans to the course. We only do this where it is allowed, and if not allowed, we either don't play there or we dress as they feel is appropriate. This isn't - or at least it shouldn't be - a "my way or the highway" situation, yet some of the posts in this thread suggest exactly that. If one condones the wearing of jeans and or a t-shirt to play golf, he is the lowest of the low, untouchable.

Some of those same people who are so strict about proper apparel are also some who feel that it is okay to play loose with the rules. They are the same ones who get in my face every time I respond on a rules question here. I consider reasonable adherence to the rules and etiquette of the game to be a far more important measure of a golfer than what he wears to the course.

You're reading someone else's posts, or completely reading mine wrong if you ever got the bolded impression.

I think the planes joke was going in a different direction but I wasn't following the thread when it happened.

If you spend your life doing something a certain way and it's presented in another, you're going to assess and judge what you're not used to seeing. It's human nature to do so. Me personally, I'm not judging someone for going to play a golf course that allows that attire, but I'll absolutely judge them if they show in jeans to play courses that DO have a dress code, but mostly if they make a big deal about it.

We all get our own unique experience out of this crazy game. Just like my wife's uncle who plays in gym shorts and flip flops. I'll still wear what I wear, and play the game how I want to play, but you better believe i'm not trying to take him anywhere with a dress code hahahaha!

See the bolded? How could you possibly take that out of context? if you come to my golf course, you have to dress appropriately. What you do on your own time is not my business or my concern, however I'd have no issues with somehow the entire Nation required collared shirts and no jeans for golf. I'd celebrate it. That doesn't make me 'above you' or 'think I'm better than you' it's simply how I see the game of golf.

Also, I'm a fan of the rules as well, but not everyone plays by the rules nor are they required to in casual play. That's their right and in the situation that suits it, their choice. Just like yours to wear jeans on a course that accommodates that. Because of the way I see the game of golf, it's very unlikely that I'll be playing that course if I have a say in where I'm playing. To each their own.

you need a mic drop emoji added to the list JB.

You're reading someone else's posts, or completely reading mine wrong if you ever got the bolded impression.

See the bolded? How could you possibly take that out of context? if you come to my golf course, you have to dress appropriately. What you do on your own time is not my business or my concern, however I'd have no issues with somehow the entire Nation required collared shirts and no jeans for golf. I'd celebrate it. That doesn't make me 'above you' or 'think I'm better than you' it's simply how I see the game of golf.

Also, I'm a fan of the rules as well, but not everyone plays by the rules nor are they required to in casual play. That's their right and in the situation that suits it, their choice. Just like yours to wear jeans on a course that accommodates that. Because of the way I see the game of golf, it's very unlikely that I'll be playing that course if I have a say in where I'm playing. To each their own.

Read this quote and tell me how it looks:

No jeans should be on a golf course.
Collared shirts should be worn on a golf course.

I STRONGLY support a dress code. It makes perfect sense to me.

Nothing out of context.

Read this quote and tell me how it looks:

Nothing out of context.
It's his opinion. He's allowed to have one, right? There's no judging there, just a simple statement of his personal preference. Does his opinion make you somehow feel bad or less as an individual?

It is the personal preference of the individual golfer and the course as to what is worn. Find a match and go play the game.

This thread went from an interesting discussion to one that has people getting defensive and personal.

I think by now we all agree that we all have different ideas about dress codes. Unfortunately there will never be a "right" answer, as these are all just opinions. If you want to play a course that has a dress code (whether you think it's stupid or not, you should respectfully dress accordingly). If you want to play a course that doesn't have a dress code, then you shouldn't worry about what other people are wearing and just play golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back