Do Dress Codes bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I'm linking a dumb rule from the past to a dumb rule in the present. Telling someone what to wear, where to sit, etc just to appease a select few is ridiculous. I've made opinions heard I really don't have much else to add, hope no one sees me in my Kid Rock shirt and work boots on the course, I'd had to be shamed for not fitting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never shame you, nor care, if we played at a course without a dress code. Almost every single course I have ever played asks for a collared shirt and no jeans, and I just don't see it as a big deal. It is what most people wear at courses I go to WITHOUT a dress code.

Yep just like Rosa Parks was told to get to the back of the bus. That was also a rule. Is that right? Get with the times. And we wonder why kids don't find it fun.

Is this even a serious reply?

Let's remember... Courses have dress codes, golf does not.
It's not in the rule book that you can't swing a club in jeans, but it might very well be stated in the facilities rules.

So when a restaurant says "No shirt, no shoes, no service" it's snobby because they appreciate customers walk into the door fully dressed?

No I'm linking a dumb rule from the past to a dumb rule in the present. Telling someone what to wear, where to sit, etc just to appease a select few is ridiculous. I've made opinions heard I really don't have much else to add, hope no one sees me in my Kid Rock shirt and work boots on the course, I'd had to be shamed for not fitting in.

Work boots on the course? That's actually a serious no no here and not because of appearance. Even the courses here on Bragg that have relaxed dress codes has a no boot policy even on the practice green because of damage to them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone has thought that was a good rule for a long time and it was changed simply because it was the right thing to do.
I coach AAU basketball. One of my players also plays golf. He is African American and does not have a lot.I went to watch him play. He wore a polo shirt, golf shorts,ect. The First Tee taught him it is about respecting the game.They also taught that there are other times in life where you try to fit in to the norm.He kept playing quite because he did not want to get dissed by his friends. They all know now and they respect him for playing a game he simply likes and fit his quiet personality.FYI tomorrow when hoop he will have his flip flops for after the game and other elements that are part of that uniform.
Yep just like Rosa Parks was told to get to the back of the bus. That was also a rule. Is that right? Get with the times. And we wonder why kids don't find it fun.

Still waiting for all you pro-dress code golfers to give a reason why they are necessary or important...

Golf is an experience. There are plenty of courses that make golf simply golf with whatever rules... I'm sure plenty of executive courses and a majority of ranges are lax on dress code.

But for some, golf is about more than swinging a club. It's about a lifestyle, and an opportunity to experience this world in a different way. Have you ever played organized sports? For me, I used to play hockey, and when I strapped on the skates and put my helmet on, for about an hour, my life was centralized around that rink. Golf is no different and it's about the atmosphere more than anything else.

Also, it is a WONDERFUL place for kids to learn integrity, manners, respect, and how to present themselves. Put those same kids in their casual clothing, and I am confident they will treat the game more casually. I'm sure that's great for some families, but my professional development was strongly aided by experiences on a golf course and I will support the dress code for a LONG time because of it. If/when I have kids, I will have them golfing at a course that adheres to a dress code in hopes they experience the same values I did growing up.

Do Dress Codes bother you?

Will you or anyone else be wearing jeans and workboots during your upcoming Treetops trip?

What if they won't let you?
I would guess they would be acting snobby?

Flying nude?

Guess I could make a health and safety argument. Can you imagine what the person sitting in that seat on the next flight may experience? Ugh.

My ex-wife #2 was a flight attendants, and back in the '80's, men wore shorts that were too short - i.e., see '80's basketball and you get the idea.

I wore shorts on one of her flights.

She said, "Do not wear shorts, ever again on a plane, Can you imagine your sweat and hair for the next passenger? No!"

Thirty years later, she and those words still haunt me, and I have never worn shorts again on a flight.

Use common sense and decorum. Think of others besides your wants.
Either this is the biggest skim job in this thread or the entire humor analogy went right over the head.

Either this is the biggest skim job in this thread or the entire humor analogy went right over the head.
I had just hoped that you hadn't planned on clipping your toenails on the flight.

Judge Smails, you'll be playing with Vincent and Jules today.

497314d1367464869-1st-gens-movies-2013-03-02-00.22.19.jpg

DSCN6514.JPG

Why do get the feeling that those here that are adamant about wearing denim and t-shirts on a golf course would also show up at a wedding in the same casual attire.

Will you or anyone else be wearing jeans and workbooks during your upcoming Treetops trip?

What if they won't let you?
I would guess they would be acting snobby?

07THBOOKS_304681f.jpg

Tough to wear these bad boys on your feet CJ, I think all traction would go out the window. :alien:

A moment of levity, brought to you by Clorox Bleach. Clorox, it gets things really clean.

I had just hoped that you hadn't planned on clipping your toenails on the flight.
Brother that was one flight I could do without in my noggin....haha. And it was in first class if I remember correctly.

I think a little of this conversation and debate seem to be at times getting just a tad personal. I am of no authority here but its imo a very good interesting debate and would like to see it continue and keep hearing the opinions and counter arguments but I hope we keep it all respectful so that we can do so in a good way.

Perhaps we should all up-dress while typing and help maintain our better behavior and etiquette. LOL :)

Dress codes and those who prefer them imo are not snobby. Assuming that is every bit as wrong the same as assuming those who down-dress are trashy. My local courses only require a collared golf shirt and I am thankful that's all they require but I am also happy they do make that one requirement. Should they decide to enforce stricter codes I don't really know how i'd feel or react. But I can understand imo (as I've explained over again) why they would do such a thing. If they did and I didn't like it what can I do? Life is not always fair and everything is not a democracy. Establishments have a right to dictate policy and to desire a certain atmosphere. If its the only choice I have I would have to either accept it or not play. In the end its still my choice being made.

A restaurant tells you "no tanks and no shorts" so I either accept it or I don't enter. If I don't enter than that's not their fault, its mine because that's the choice I made. Its the same with any thing including golf courses.

I know and understand very much that money can be very problematic for many people but golf is not and never was a necessity. Its a recreation like so many others that cost money. Just look how expensive skiing is.
If my only opportunity to play golf happened to be only at a course that has dress codes which require me to spend money on clothing than that unfortunately will be part of my golf expenses.

on a side note here = its never fair for any of us to imply to any others what is cheap or expensive for clothing. Its one thing to offer helping suggestion as to how to obtain clothing on the cheap as possible but quite another to imply whats ridiculous or not. No one has the right to decide for another that 20 bucks is no big deal because for many people it is. But with that said, regardless , golf along with any required attire is a luxury, not a necessity and along with it comes the expenses. There are many people who cant afford to golf at all and others who do but is very limited. in fact most of us are limited at some point to how often we can golf and purchase all required to golf as often as we may like. It unfortunately is what it is. It kind of sucks and can seem unfair but when one doesn't have the disposable income the they just cant golf. If dress code at given courses is required than that extra expense (regardless how much it may be) is simply part of the expense of the golf itself (at least there) and if that makes it unaffordable than well, unfortunately you, I, we, cannot afford to golf (there).

I asked the owner of my home course about this, it isn't a shabby place mind you. Pretty darn nice course. His response, "We prefer collared shirts, but we won't kick somebody out for wearing t-shirts. Jeans are fine, it's a non issue. I have a tee sheet to keep full."

that's pretty much my old course that I grew up playing(that I mentioned earlier yesterday). They were losing money big time. They loosened up their dress code, and while it ruffled some feathers of the members, it brought more money to the course. Helped get them out of debt, and the course saw improvements. And yes I did get kicked off the course once when I was young for not wearing a proper shirt.

I used to be all about the dress code, and if I was at a real nice place, then yeah I'd be all for the course to be strict about it. I don't ever play in jeans, because honestly I don't think it's comfortable to do so. I understand the talk about golf is an experience and dressing the part is about the experience. I like golf cloths and wear them on a daily basis. But if someone wants to go out to a course that doesn't enforce their club's dress code, and they want to wear jeans or athletic shorts, with a sports tops I'm not going to stop them. If they go out there, and have a blast and decide to come back and bring 2 other friends who dress the same, because they had such a good time, than that's fine with me. Who knows maybe getting them out on the course having a good time gets them to want to take their experience to the next level, buy new golf shoes instead of sneakers, buy golf shorts/pants, and a collared top.

No offense, but this is laughable. I have the same feeling about playing basketball on the gym floor with non-basketball shoes. Nobody wants the game to grow more than I do, but I also feel dress codes have their place.

If I put children in little league or soccer or basketball, tennis or anything else, the first thing they learn and receive is their uniform. If I dont like said unform, I dont say "Its okay lil Jimmy, you play in jeans".

I played Little League in jeans - in Wyoming back in 1957. Our only concession to a uniform was a t-shirt with the sponsor's company name on the front.

Course rules are just as or more important than any other rule. This goes with dress code, care for the course, time to play, etc. You have been very vocal about your own course rules being great as far as pace of play, this is no different. Rules are in fact rules.

If a cours says where a diaper and a t-shirt or thongs only. Its their prerogative. Some are of the belief that just like every other sport, when playing organized, dress code should be there.

The rules of golf are a universal code, observed worldwide. Course policies are just that course policies. They only apply to the course where you are playing. Again, playing on a basket ball court in street shoes damages the floor, that is the only reason for the restriction, not uniformity. Places I've been you can't even wear the sneakers you wore to the gym on the court - your playing shoes have to have never been worn outdoors where they might pick up sand and dirt.

My only issue is with those who are so adamant, and in some cases snobbish, that they can't even allow that there are times and courses when and where a relaxed dress code may be appropriate. It is those who are too stiff and stuffy to even consider that clean, neat jeans or t-shirts should be worn anywhere outside of the home and garden that I take issue with.

I don't have an issue with following dress codes where they exist. I do however feel that they are mostly unnecessary and potentially a detriment to the growth of the game in the modern world.

I do however feel that they are mostly unnecessary and potentially a detriment to the growth of the game in the modern world.
I disagree. Collared shirts are not the reason why golf is slow to grow. What causes golf to be slow to grow is the fact in order to become proficient you need a bag with 14 clubs, all of which incur an expenditure. Additionally, in order to play you need to go to a course and pay greens fees. These cost money, and are necessary because without those fees, the courses wouldn't exist.

You can't play a pickup game of golf, or play in the street like you can with baseball (I remember playing stickball growing up in the streets of NYC) ... golf costs money. Collared shirts and pleated shorts have nothing to do with it.

I disagree. Collared shirts are not the reason why golf is slow to grow. What causes golf to be slow to grow is the fact in order to become proficient you need a bag with 14 clubs, all of which incur an expenditure. Additionally, in order to play you need to go to a course and pay greens fees. These cost money, and are necessary because without those fees, the courses wouldn't exist.

You can't play a pickup game of golf, or play in the street like you can with baseball (I remember playing stickball growing up in the streets of NYC) ... golf costs money. Collared shirts and pleated shorts have nothing to do with it.

That's why I think places like Top Golf are going to open the door to the public more than anything else ever will.

Make it casual IN THE RIGHT SETTING, and let people get excited about the game. Then, if they love it, they can dive in.

I don't understand how someone would not own at least one polo/collared shirt and a nice pair of pants or shorts just in general. It seems like just a standard thing that everyone would have. Maybe I'm crazy.

Got the humor ... was returning it ... and then a story, and finally, words of questionable wisdom.

And since I am middle aged 60, I have no freakin' idea what skim job means ... but I am willing to learn. I have a 23 yr old son and need an urban dictionary at times to keep up.

Have fun ...

I'm no expert on style, but when I was in college, every dude had a collared polo shirt, usually with the collar popped. Then, everyone went to button down 'casual' shirts, again with a collar. I still see lots of this. So it's hard for me to understand any argument that requiring a collared shirt hurts the growth of the game.

~Rock

A few people have said that they are not down with people wearing jeans on any golf course. And ... that's their opinion. Fortunately we're all allowed an opinion, and honestly none of us are going to have the capacity to turn those opinions into hard and fast laws that lock us all into a certain form/fashion when out on the course. So why worry about it?

I worry about it because THP is suppose to welcome all types of golfers, but this thread does not make me feel very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back