Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of you guys, when i saw this cartoon. I bet some of your dogs do this while you are not around.

8b509b9cb9650227c2734183e1d272fd.jpg

#EffinRant!

Vickie just got home from taking Presley to her new home. I posted a while back that she took her to NC to her new family.
20150205_203323_zpsmnqlrcz4.jpg

This dog is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever seen. She is almost afraid to be away from a human which is undoubtedly from being a street dog or left in the yard with no human interaction. The one night we had her, our dogs would run up the stairs (it's a game they play) and then back down. Presley couldn't play, because she didn't know how to climb stairs.

Anyway, the trip goes off great and there is a nice picture posted with Presley and her new family. Wife gets to spend the weekend with our daughter in Knoxville and all is good right..... NO!

Stupid dizzy broad(sorry to call names but I'm being generous at the moment) texts my wife at 2:00 CST TODAY asking her where she is and that she wanted to give the dog back. What? She's kidding right? How could they have made a determination that this was not a good fit in 48 hours?! Due to having a passenger who had a schedule to keep, Vickie couldn't turn around and go get the dog and continued on home extremely upset. Emails and texts were exchanged, and as it turns out, these people decided that they didn't want Presley because she had some 10 accidents on their "very expensive" dining room carpet, made some very damaging spots on their hardwood floors and could not climb stairs. WTF is wrong with these people? Did they think this was some sort of decorative piece of living room furniture?! This is a living thing! What happened to planning and a period of adjustment? I am freaking livid!

Our rescue requires a home visit and interview for an adoption. These people were able to bypass that due to the distances involved and the fact that her sister is here local and a "non active" member of tails of hope. Lesson learned all the way around I guess, but my wife is so upset about this that she can't think. Seems there were some emails and texts exchanged that were group instead of individual. She basically told those people that they were heartless bastards and when they responded, they included the rescue. The rescue responded and didn't "have her back", until they figured out it was a group text. So pi$$ed I cannot see straight. If I didn't have to travel this week, I would go get that dog this week. Do they allow dogs to go to jail with humans? I would not be pleasant when I met these pieces of.......

Rant off.......

JM

#EffinRant!

Vickie just got home from taking Presley to her new home. I posted a while back that she took her to NC to her new family.

This dog is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever seen. She is almost afraid to be away from a human which is undoubtedly from being a street dog or left in the yard with no human interaction. The one night we had her, our dogs would run up the stairs (it's a game they play) and then back down. Presley couldn't play, because she didn't know how to climb stairs.

Anyway, the trip goes off great and there is a nice picture posted with Presley and her new family. Wife gets to spend the weekend with our daughter in Knoxville and all is good right..... NO!

Stupid dizzy broad(sorry to call names but I'm being generous at the moment) texts my wife at 2:00 CST TODAY asking her where she is and that she wanted to give the dog back. What? She's kidding right? How could they have made a determination that this was not a good fit in 48 hours?! Due to having a passenger who had a schedule to keep, Vickie couldn't turn around and go get the dog and continued on home extremely upset. Emails and texts were exchanged, and as it turns out, these people decided that they didn't want Presley because she had some 10 accidents on their "very expensive" dining room carpet, made some very damaging spots on their hardwood floors and could not climb stairs. WTF is wrong with these people? Did they think this was some sort of decorative piece of living room furniture?! This is a living thing! What happened to planning and a period of adjustment? I am freaking livid!

Our rescue requires a home visit and interview for an adoption. These people were able to bypass that due to the distances involved and the fact that her sister is here local and a "non active" member of tails of hope. Lesson learned all the way around I guess, but my wife is so upset about this that she can't think. Seems there were some emails and texts exchanged that were group instead of individual. She basically told those people that they were heartless bastards and when they responded, they included the rescue. The rescue responded and didn't "have her back", until they figured out it was a group text. So pi$$ed I cannot see straight. If I didn't have to travel this week, I would go get that dog this week. Do they allow dogs to go to jail with humans? I would not be pleasant when I met these pieces of.......

Rant off.......

JM

People like that are why these guys wind up in shelters in the first place. So sad.

Corgis are awesome.

IMAG1283_zps9whvzzwm.jpg
#EffinRant!

Rant off.......

JM

You sound like us Johnny, we've been part of the Patriot Siberian Husky Rescue for years and its amazing the reasons why people give up dogs. Alot of times people just want the dog based on looks and have no idea whats involved in training/caring for a pet. We always tell people its easier to adopt a child than it is a Siberian when you see the paperwork etc..

We usually have 2 or 3 of our own ( 3 right now) and then on occasion foster another 1 or 2. We try to keep a 4 dog limit here. The 3rd one we picked up was going to be a foster... People in our town got the dog but they were in too poor of health ( bad back, bad shoulder, bad hip...) that they couldn't control the dog if he pulled them. They we sooo upset to give him up but they felt better knowing that animal control was working with us on it. The dog is just one year old. I think the people were under the impression that we would keep the dog and not put him up for adoption.

Well...we ended up keeping him. The people were happy, he's a great dog and all 3 get along well. My other 2 are yrs old and the puppy gets them running in the yard more. The new one has lost 5-7 lbs with the exercise and my 2 have renewed muscle tone. Its just alot of poop.

Last edited:
04b5a1e505f2a99efddb03bcb9aed960.jpg

Dont have a better pic. We picked up this little girl yesterday. My wife saw a free puppies ad of Facebook and asked if we could just go look. So I gave into her wishes and off we went. Well when we get there we pull into a not so nice neighborhood and there is the kennel with the puppy outside. It was around 45 degrees so I was already a little upset by that first off. We get closer and I notice the kennel is far from clean and she had poop stuck on her and poop in the kennel. Was also full of worms. So we talk to the guy and he says they have no idea what she is, knows the mom is a mini schnauzer but the dad is just a neighborhood dog, and that they didn't want puppies at all. The guy was actually very nice but was just looking to unload the puppies. Said she has had no shots and no worm medicine. He also tells us that she is 9 weeks old and is on adult dog food and they are feeding her beneful. She only has 4 teeth i think right now. He asked us nothing about us or our house or if we have other dogs. So me and the wife talked and decided whether we keep her or not she doesn't need to stay here. So she is with us now and right now we are looking to find her a home as we don't really need a third dog but the wife seems attached, not gonna lie I am getting attached as well. So she might stay with us. She is very sweet.

Chewing bones is tiring.
46f848940c9042f3a8b33a460a0b3960.jpg
417307c492261335021cd4ceb7a86b96.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423511048.148438.jpg

Coolest cat ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my little buddy Gatsby with my daughter. He's an 8 year old puggle
77246e65d73a30d7f952711c0bad3ef9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont have a better pic. We picked up this little girl yesterday. My wife saw a free puppies ad of Facebook and asked if we could just go look. So I gave into her wishes and off we went. Well when we get there we pull into a not so nice neighborhood and there is the kennel with the puppy outside. It was around 45 degrees so I was already a little upset by that first off. We get closer and I notice the kennel is far from clean and she had poop stuck on her and poop in the kennel. Was also full of worms. So we talk to the guy and he says they have no idea what she is, knows the mom is a mini schnauzer but the dad is just a neighborhood dog, and that they didn't want puppies at all. The guy was actually very nice but was just looking to unload the puppies. Said she has had no shots and no worm medicine. He also tells us that she is 9 weeks old and is on adult dog food and they are feeding her beneful. She only has 4 teeth i think right now. He asked us nothing about us or our house or if we have other dogs. So me and the wife talked and decided whether we keep her or not she doesn't need to stay here. So she is with us now and right now we are looking to find her a home as we don't really need a third dog but the wife seems attached, not gonna lie I am getting attached as well. So she might stay with us. She is very sweet.

That's awesome man, good on you guys!!

4 is our max....for now. Haha

Yeah I said 2 is our max ( a black and yellow lab, also have 3 cats but they are no where as difficult to take care of haha) but just couldn't leave her there. So no matter with us or someone else she will have a good home

When I went to meet Pico at his foster house she had 7. 5 foster britts, their britt and Pico. It's was bedlam and awesome all at the same time!

Jacksons toy might be a bit too big for him.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423531454825.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423531454825.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
IMAG1283_zps9whvzzwm.jpg

You sound like us Johnny, we've been part of the Patriot Siberian Husky Rescue for years and its amazing the reasons why people give up dogs. Alot of times people just want the dog based on looks and have no idea whats involved in training/caring for a pet. We always tell people its easier to adopt a child than it is a Siberian when you see the paperwork etc..

We usually have 2 or 3 of our own ( 3 right now) and then on occasion foster another 1 or 2. We try to keep a 4 dog limit here. The 3rd one we picked up was going to be a foster... People in our town got the dog but they were in too poor of health ( bad back, bad shoulder, bad hip...) that they couldn't control the dog if he pulled them. They we sooo upset to give him up but they felt better knowing that animal control was working with us on it. The dog is just one year old. I think the people were under the impression that we would keep the dog and not put him up for adoption.

Well...we ended up keeping him. The people were happy, he's a great dog and all 3 get along well. My other 2 are yrs old and the puppy gets them running in the yard more. The new one has lost 5-7 lbs with the exercise and my 2 have renewed muscle tone. Its just alot of poop.

This has been such a rewarding/emotional experience! We would keep all of them if we could. I'm not sure if it's because our daughter is out of the house or what, but fostering has filled a void while at the same time made me think just a little less of the human race. People will surrender a dog because they are moving. Did you people hear me? Honey gets transferred and they don't want to take the dog? wTF is that?! Also, and this is the kicker here....surrendered animals get killed FIRST here. That's right, Fido, who has lived a wonderful life gets killed in 2 weeks because some selfish human decided to take him or her to the pound instead of the new city he or she got transferred to because it's too much trouble to go through pet deposits etc. there is no gray area with a surrendered pet, people aren't going to come to the shelter looking for it, it's a known situation, therefore if it is not adopted in two weeks, it dies. I never knew this and it hit me hard.

When this wench did this with a dog that came through our house, I wanted to hurt someone for a little while. I know some won't understand these sentiments, but knowing we couldn't do anything at the time was such a helpless feeling, it just made me so angry. Thanks for what you guys do Typhoon!

JM

Thanks to you and your wife. You know where she came from so I'm sure if you find her another home, it will be up to YOUR standards, and that says a LOT.

JM

you're doing an incredible thing. Good on you sir.

So we have had her for 2 days and she has went from a lethargic puppy who wouldn't eat anything to a very happy and very sweet little girl who would eat all day if you let her. She has now become friends with the cats and will chase them around the living room. One cat still isn't too sure about her but he gets very stressed out with new animals or humans (he was a rescue as well and is blind in one eye). The two big dogs don't pay her much attention as the would rather be outside any ways. She loves to sleep as close to you as possible and is doing a great job at putting a smile on our faces

30bc844c53ca2791fe35f7b97a4bd146.jpg

I'm posting this here because a lot of the folks in this thread seem to be familiar with rescue dogs.

My girlfriend and I have been talking about getting a dog for years and have always abstained because we didn't have enough time to be good parents. Well, we finally decided we could give a dog the attention it deserves and visited some rescue dogs this weekend. We loved all the dogs. They were all so sweet. We immediately went home and filled out the application.

One of the rescue workers called my girlfriend back this evening and they went through the initial screening. My girlfriend called me on the verge of tears right after the call.

Turns out they won't place dogs in homes where someone isn't home at all times or can come home at lunch to let the dog out. Their expectation is that the dog will be kept inside at all times and not left outside unattended. What the heck kind of requirement is that! It is absolutely unreasonable to expect us to keep the dog inside.

We both have had dogs growing up and at different times during our adult lives. We have always treated all of our animals very well and are conscious of their environment. I can't believe they won't let 2 income families take a dog home!

Does this seem like the norm? Are these people being unrealistic?

I'm posting this here because a lot of the folks in this thread seem to be familiar with rescue dogs.

My girlfriend and I have been talking about getting a dog for years and have always abstained because we didn't have enough time to be good parents. Well, we finally decided we could give a dog the attention it deserves and visited some rescue dogs this weekend. We loved all the dogs. They were all so sweet. We immediately went home and filled out the application.

One of the rescue workers called my girlfriend back this evening and they went through the initial screening. My girlfriend called me on the verge of tears right after the call.

Turns out they won't place dogs in homes where someone isn't home at all times or can come home at lunch to let the dog out. Their expectation is that the dog will be kept inside at all times and not left outside unattended. What the heck kind of requirement is that! It is absolutely unreasonable to expect us to keep the dog inside.

We both have had dogs growing up and at different times during our adult lives. We have always treated all of our animals very well and are conscious of their environment. I can't believe they won't let 2 income families take a dog home!

Seems a bit extreme to me. I love that they are being cautious and all, but we have 7, and can't be home all the time. We do have a very large fenced yard, and 2 dog doors in/out of the house. They always have water, and access outside. Our problems are miniscule. If you provide shelter and water outside, and your yard is fenced, it doesn't seem like an issue.

I would visit more shelters in the local area and talk to them about their expectations. While it is quite some time to leave a dog unattended, my wife and I did that very thing for the first few years after rescuing my dog. It's worked out just fine for everyone.

All rescues have different rules, some are crazier than others. In the end though, they put the dogs first, which they should. Would a dog door suffice for them?

I got by a couple rules because I met face to face with the dog at one of the coordinators house and she was able to wave some rules because of the connection the dog and I showed and my plans were what she wanted for the dog. Maybe volunteer some time and get to know the people at the rescue.

If they are unwilling to work with you at all then as Dan said, there is always another rescue and dog that needs a loving home.

I would think it would also depend on the personality of the dog. When we rescued our guy the rescue knew we both worked but they also knew he had been left alone before and wasn't destructive or a chewer. I still hate leaving him home and even drop him off at my folks a couple days a week to make up for it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back