The sponge and the know it all

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I joined up with a beginner and a guy that is so tan you know he lives on the course. The issue is that he 'thinks' he knows and the kid is soaking it up. I didn't say a word as he told stories about shafts, what sucked about the industry and every bad swing tip known to man. And the kid was eating up.

I have no issue with a little bravado now and again. But this guy was non stop. And then he starts telling me what I should be doing to get more spin and my shafts had a weird step pattern. I think he shared more BS then I'm used to. Anyone play with a guy like that?

Cant say I have as I Pretty much only golf with friends, family, and THpers. None of my local courses really just match people up for groupings.

I think if you play long enough, you will always find one of these sometime, someplace. We have a couple of these at my home course. Hard to call them anything other than "these"...........

I have never seen that before, have heard it uttered many times at big box retail stores though.

without a doubt. It's not just the equipment snob guy, but like you are saying, the guy who knows everything about everything in the golf business. He knows the equipment, the swing, and the tech. Most of the times I just shake my head and listen to whatever they say. You sure do meet some interesting personalities out on the golf course.

Can't say that I have.

I have definitely played with those guys before, and even though sometimes it makes for good comedy I generally just ignore them and walk away, a lot of club builders are the same way, constantly telling what you should be playing.

Thankfully I've not had the pleasure to play with one of those types.

I joined up with a beginner and a guy that is so tan you know he lives on the course. The issue is that he 'thinks' he knows and the kid is soaking it up. I didn't say a word as he told stories about shafts, what sucked about the industry and every bad swing tip known to man. And the kid was eating up.

I have no issue with a little bravado now and again. But this guy was non stop. And then he starts telling me what I should be doing to get more spin and my shafts had a weird step pattern. I think he shared more BS then I'm used to. Anyone play with a guy like that?

hahaha, not that I've not confronted (with a smile on my face of course).

I hate misinformation. It's a plague.

Did you say anything back to him?

I've run into a few folks that say things like that but once they understand that I'm ignoring them for the most part they just give up. I'm all for friendly conversation and a tip or two but this description just comes off as overly brash.

I had a instructor once that was kind of pompous like that. Spent most of the instruction telling me who he knew and how he used to golf with this pro and that pro. Needless to say I'm no longer seeing him.

Thankfully, no, I have not had that pleasure.

If only "Mr. Know It All" knew who he was playing with, haha. I've encountered guys who will talk equipment or give tips here and there but never for an entire round. I just nod and move on.

I was on the range one day at a local good public course that I often play, and I was talking with a friend about the course design and some things we liked and did not like. One of the things we wished they would change is the tee locations on the par 3's. Basically, three of the par three's are almost the exact same distance, so you hit the same club on all three holes. The tee boxes are big enough such that you could move the tee markers up on one par 3 hole or the other, and back on the other par 3, so the total yardage would be the same, but you would have different clubs to hit. But they always seem to be the same distance.

So this guy a couple of mats down overhears our private conversation, and comes over to tell us about how he has served on the such and such committee at the course for so many years, and how you couldn't move the tee markers around because that would destroy the course rating and the course "integrity," and how perhaps my friend and I didn't have enough game for the course and should maybe play a "muni course." (I'm play to a 5 and my friend is a 6.)

We had a good laugh about it later. We now refer to the guy as "Mr. Integrity." We've played behind him since then, and he's probably about a 15 at best, and he plays really slow. Even the cart girl said that the guy has a huge ego. The other thing is that we often find the tee on the par 4's or par 5's might be moved up or back because they are working on the regular teeing area, or for some other reason, and someone in our foursome will joke that they've now "destroyed the course integrity."

Some people think they know everything, and when they open their mouths they just prove how much they don't know.

hahaha, not that I've not confronted (with a smile on my face of course).

I hate misinformation. It's a plague.
He even drove up to the cart return, took his bag off and whistled at us he was leaving....the kid was like ' wait up' I putted out and left like I arrived, alone

When I lived in NYC and played a lot with my Dad, he had that guy as a golf buddy. I asked him once why he played with that guy, he said no one else would play with the guy and he felt bad for him. I called BS on my Dad because I knew his hearing sucked and he just turned off his hearing aid when he golfed with him. Dad just gave me a goofy grin and said, " how do you think I stayed married to your mom all this time"

Not to that extent, but it's funny to hear 'know it alls' on the course. Swing tips are always funny.

Never played with anyone like that... yet. I'm sure I will eventually.

I have played with the "what club is THAT?" guy. Always sticking his nose in the bags of the other players, asking 100 questions about everyone's drivers as they got ready to tee off, wanting to know who's playing what ball and why, etc.

I had "that guy" on Monday at the driving range. Julia and I were happily sending range balls into oblivion when an older gentleman arrives and starts his practice. Shortly, "guy" shows up and after a few balls starts up a conversation with the older gentleman. Seems the older gent was just picking up the game and "guy" was going to set him straight on every swing with every club. These swing tips were only eclipsed by his vast knowledge of equipment and "what the pros do" when they release the club, and how they blah, blah, blah......

The older gent just wanted to beat balls and pass his time. He was visibly intimidated as guy critiqued his every swing. I couldn't take it any more and moved down to the other end. I wish I would have said something, but nothing good would have come from it. It's not that I am smarter than guy or anything, I just wanted him to shut up and leave the older gent alone.

Even my daughter recognized that guy was a D-Bag!

JM

With my really weird swing I've run into all types of gurus and guys who know how to fix it. "Just hold your head still and keep the club on plane!"

Thanks jackass, why aren't you on Tour?

I haven't really run into Mr. Equipment know it all yet but now I'm looking forward to it haha.

Yes.

I've also read too many posts here about shaft puring and spining and frequency and oscillation and added weight altering COR and other assorted voodoo

If only "Mr. Know It All" knew who he was playing with, haha. I've encountered guys who will talk equipment or give tips here and there but never for an entire round. I just nod and move on.

That was my thought as well. If he only had known. Problem is with guys like that it probably wouldn't have mattered or shut him up.

Too bad the guy didn't pipe down, the young kid could have learned quite a lot of correct information from The Panda.

I tell my golf buddies what club to hit all the time. I know their games and what club they'll need to NOT carry the water :sinister:

Wait, a real life #InternetGolf? What would you even call such a thing?

I played with a father/son pairing when I first started working at the course, they welcomed me to join. Very nice, but the father was hounding the kid (probably 12 at the time) about every aspect of his swing. I know the kid to this day, five years later, with a proper coach and he's had a complete swing overhaul since joining him.

Back