local pros forbidden to give lessons at municipal course

hifly

Hi flying Slice king
Reaction score
Handicap
the title doesn't really say it correctly but I couldn't figure out how to word it.

Basically, whoever is in charge of the county municipal courses, has forbidden the pro's to give golf lessons. The higher up says that lessons are not part of the manigerial duties. He has even ended a free program started by the pro at the course next to me to teach kids how to golf. just 2 weeks ago he had 15 kids ages 6 to 14 come for a free lesson. he was going to do it every other week. But that has abruptly ended.

I can see limiting the time devoted to lessons or making all lesson off normal hours but I thought forbidding them all together was rather rash.

Is this typical?

the title doesn't really say it correctly but I couldn't figure out how to word it.

Basically, whoever is in charge of the county municipal courses, has forbidden the pro's to give golf lessons. The higher up says that lessons are not part of the manigerial duties. He has even ended a free program started by the pro at the course next to me to teach kids how to golf. just 2 weeks ago he had 15 kids ages 6 to 14 come for a free lesson. he was going to do it every other week. But that has abruptly ended.

I can see limiting the time devoted to lessons or making all lesson off normal hours but I thought forbidding them all together was rather rash.

Is this typical?

I may not understand the golf business, but why bother hiring a pro to manage the course if he can't give lessons, just hire any other manager...

maybe someone can help me understand, but this decision doesnt make sense to me

Nope, and they are really shooting themselves in the foot by basically turning away current (and future) consumers. These kids that learn to golf would eventually be paying to golf. Now, that won't happen.

That's just crazy and makes no sense to me.

Some silliness going on there. That's not how one grows the game or bring in business

Sounds like someone has an alt plan, like maybe getting the course shut down for the land, since he's on that path.

Nope, and they are really shooting themselves in the foot by basically turning away current (and future) consumers. These kids that learn to golf would eventually be paying to golf. Now, that won't happen.

That's not a smart business move on the city's part, to say the least. However, that's not necessarily true, jlukes. The course I grew up playing on didn't even HAVE a Pro, and I still ended up playing. Granted, this might turn some of them off, and I wouldn't be surprised if the course losses some business because of this, but it won't be because of the Pro, right? If he was willing to do this (free kids lessons), I'm sure he's still willing to help on the side, outside of working hours, to a degree. My guess is this will cause enough flack with the locals that the city will have to change something, or the Pro will leave.

Where is this happening, what city do you live in?

That's not a smart business move on the city's part, to say the least. However, that's not necessarily true, jlukes. The course I grew up playing on didn't even HAVE a Pro, and I still ended up playing. Granted, this might turn some of them off, and I wouldn't be surprised if the course losses some business because of this, but it won't be because of the Pro, right? If he was willing to do this (free kids lessons), I'm sure he's still willing to help on the side, outside of working hours, to a degree. My guess is this will cause enough flack with the locals that the city will have to change something, or the Pro will leave.
But if there are kids looking for a junior program and find a course that has one they're likely to keep going back there. You're right, they still might go to the other course to play occasionally, but it's not as likely (assuming all other factors such as costs are mostly equal)

But if there are kids looking for a junior program and find a course that has one they're likely to keep going back there. You're right, they still might go to the other course to play occasionally, but it's not as likely (assuming all other factors such as costs are mostly equal)

Location to the course and the facilities/lessons are all relative though. I had to drive almost two hours for a quality kids clinic when I was learning, and I did that because I WANTED to learn. If they want to learn, they'll find a place to learn. My guess is (as this is what I would do) this will make it's rounds in the area, and if I'm a neighboring course, I'd take advantage of this (stupidity) and do whatever I could do to pull them to my course.

what was he hired for: Head Professional or General Manager?

Is this typical?
I can't see it being typical, if you want to grow the game and create more play on your course, doing those types of things only hinders that goal!

Sounds like someone has an alt plan, like maybe getting the course shut down for the land, since he's on that path.

The course is also a habitat for some endangered birds. It may be an environmental thing. never even thought of something like that till just now

Well, here's what I think. I think it's a move to make the professionals quit in order to save money. Rather than issue layoff notices which will require paying unemployment, they tell them they cannot give lessons. So the pros get frustrated and quit for greener pastures. They're replaced with clerks who cost less. By getting rid of pros, I would also imagine they're getting rid of professional golf groundskeepers, and hiring landscapers to do the job. Expect the courses to start going downhill quickly.

what was he hired for: Head Professional or General Manager?

I am not 100% certain but I thought he was basically both. As far as I know there is no separate general manager.

I was at a course in Florida on vacation last year and was helping my son with his swing on the range before a round and was approached by a employee telling me I had to leave as instruction from anyone other than the pro was forbidden! I told him to buzz off and was eventually approached by the club manager and after a brief exchange, he retreated and chided his employee. I was kinda flattered he thought I was a pro...lol

It's entirely possible the pros at municipal courses have their hands full with other duties. Heading outside to give lessons, free or otherwise, may take him away from his other duties. Before you know it, he may wind up spending 20 hours a week on the range vs in the shop managing staff, ordering product, running leagues, etc. With this being a government run institution, I imagine they probably aren't even staffed appropriately to manage the course as it is.

A fine line between doing what you were hired to do and doing what you would like to do.

It is not normal. It is part of the golf pros duties to give lessons. If they can't give lesdond then they should higher kids to run the place.

Well, here's what I think. I think it's a move to make the professionals quit in order to save money. Rather than issue layoff notices which will require paying unemployment, they tell them they cannot give lessons. So the pros get frustrated and quit for greener pastures. They're replaced with clerks who cost less. By getting rid of pros, I would also imagine they're getting rid of professional golf groundskeepers, and hiring landscapers to do the job. Expect the courses to start going downhill quickly.

I would normally agree with that thought as a possibility. But this guy was just hired on recently. If they didn't want a pro they had a perfect chance to not have one before they brought him on the staff. The last pro had been there for at least 10 years. not certain where he went.

There's got to be another side of this story. Because none of this makes sense.

I agree. Stupid idea. Sounds like a politician must be running the course's.........

Your right knee doesn't make sense :alien2:
There's got to be another side of this story. Because none of this makes sense.

municipalities can be the worst for just about anything.
Filled with any number of or combo of -

incompetent people,
power hungry people,
corrupt people,
over zealous people,
people unwilling to admit they were wrong,
lazy people,
spiteful people,
stupid people,
make no sense people,
cover your own ass people,
look the other way people,
far too much time on their hands people,
People whos only 2 speeds are stop and reverse.
And people who want to kill all the people who try to do the right things and not be any of those people.

Mix all that with politics, rules, regulations, budgets, laws, etc... and you can very often end up with the most inefficient , money losing, make no sense at all, confusing, impractical type of operation there is and where no one is to blame for anything.
I work for a municipality and let me tell ya, that is on a good day.:D

Back