Taylormade R9 Irons

My 3i head broke off the shaft today.

All the shafts were recently replaced not even 3 months ago.

Full rant.

Full rant.

That sucks man! I have not had any issues with the actual shafts, but I am playing the S300s.

Full rant.

i feel for you. after having my clubs for 4 weeks taylor made have decided there is nothing wrong with them even though there is an audible difference in the 7-PW, but as technically they are ok (swing weight etc.) they wont do anything!!
so i traded them in for something i have confidence in. (see my sig)

if i had several shaft failures i dont think i could keep playing them with confidence. hope you get it sorted.

Went and swung them today, and didn't even use the tp. I was comparing the mx300, cb2, and r9. On the simulator, I was bombing it anywhere from 190-215.. While I seriously doubt those are legit, there was no question the r9 was the longest of the three.

I think I'm all but convinced... Now to see if Golf Galaxy will price match!

Without looking at the others, isn't the R9 a bit stronger in loft?

after 8 months of ownership i have had to send my irons back to TaylorMade.

noticed more and more in recent weeks that the feedback from the clubs was very inconsistent. phoned TM and they said to send them back for assessment.

just waiting to see what their response is..

Can you explain what you mean the "the feedback from the clubs was very inconsistent"?

Can you explain what you mean the "the feedback from the clubs was very inconsistent"?
Hi, I suppose feel isn't technically the best term to use. It was more the fact the 7-pw all sounded different.
The 7 iron had an insert replaced and it sounded solid, the 8- pw started to 'ping' when you hit them. It's hard to describe and I had to get a second opinion from my playing partner to make sure it wasn't just me.
so Yeh, more sound than feel as performance wise they all worked and hit their yardages, I just didn't like the audible differences to the clubs.

Posted from my Android mobile.

I have a full thread/long post in the fitting subforum, but short story is that I had a fitting at GolfTEC tonight and the best performing club from all the numbers and my own feel was the R9 TP, KBS Tour Stiff. I haven't had a chance to go through this entire thread yet since these weren't really on my radar until tonight, but the performance was impressive. I have a 6i to hit tomorrow on the range/course and can't wait to see it out on grass.

Any comments on the R9 TP specifically? Seems most here are hitting the regular R9 head. I'd love to hear any feedback on the TP.

I have a full thread/long post in the fitting subforum, but short story is that I had a fitting at GolfTEC tonight and the best performing club from all the numbers and my own feel was the R9 TP, KBS Tour Stiff. I haven't had a chance to go through this entire thread yet since these weren't really on my radar until tonight, but the performance was impressive. I have a 6i to hit tomorrow on the range/course and can't wait to see it out on grass.

Any comments on the R9 TP specifically? Seems most here are hitting the regular R9 head. I'd love to hear any feedback on the TP.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...s-Long-Term-Review&highlight=taylormade+irons

I voted last week and the lines were long.

Thanks, JB. When I try using the search function it just tells me that R9 and TP are too short, so I tried other combinations but the search never returned that particular thread for me. Who needs a search when you have "the man"? :)

Friend of mine is looking to get a set of r9 irons. He knows which shaft bit is worried they might not suit him. He's off 18 but is inconsistent at the moment. He's playing enough to improve a great deal but will he struggle with these to begin with. Basically the question is can a high handicapper buy these and use them to improve to a mid handicap?

Friend of mine is looking to get a set of r9 irons. He knows which shaft bit is worried they might not suit him. He's off 18 but is inconsistent at the moment. He's playing enough to improve a great deal but will he struggle with these to begin with. Basically the question is can a high handicapper buy these and use them to improve to a mid handicap?

I think they can.

I hit some about a week ago and I think they're forgiving enough to do that.

That's what I'm doing. I'm an 18 or so and I bought the R9s. I really love the feel of them when I hit the sweet spot, and they are quite forgiving. I do find that the mid-irons are less forgiving than the short irons (I have 5-pw) which is forcing me to focus more on ball striking which is a good thing.
I chose the R9s after trying Burners (which were longer, but I preferred the feel of the R9s) G15s which I really liked the feel of but I liked the asthetic of the TMs, and the X-24 Callaways which I just couldn't meld with.

Do you think if I have the r9's bent strong one degree (to match the burner 2.0), it will achieve similar distance? Or is the something in the design of the burner 2.0 heads that make them longer regardless of loft?

I'm coming from a set of r7 xd's which are even stronger lofted than either the r9 or burner. I got used to the distance, but the pw and aw are way too clunky and terrible from 110 yards in.

The burner 2.0 sounds like the ideal set for me with the improvement they made to the wedges. However, I prefer the looks and finish of the r9.

From reading here, it sounds like the burners are way longer.

Do you think if I have the r9's bent strong one degree (to match the burner 2.0), it will achieve similar distance? Or is the something in the design of the burner 2.0 heads that make them longer regardless of loft?

I'm coming from a set of r7 xd's which are even stronger lofted than either the r9 or burner. I got used to the distance, but the pw and aw are way too clunky and terrible from 110 yards in.

The burner 2.0 sounds like the ideal set for me with the improvement they made to the wedges. However, I prefer the looks and finish of the r9.

From reading here, it sounds like the burners are way longer.

I think that you would get more distance, but the distance in the Burner 2.0s is not simply loft, but also shaft and ball flight.

I think that you would get more distance, but the distance in the Burner 2.0s is not simply loft, but also shaft and ball flight.

JB this is a huge skim alert and a question that just popped into my head..are these player irons or are more on the GI side of club? I read your initial reaction saying you could work them more but are they more of an MB? Or a blade or more of an mc?

JB this is a huge skim alert and a question that just popped into my head..are these player irons or are more on the GI side of club? I read your initial reaction saying you could work them more but are they more of an MB? Or a blade or more of an mc?

I'm playing the R9 irons right now, they are definitely more towards the GI side of things as opposed to players' irons. In the Taylormade line right now, these would probably come closest to the Tour Preferred CB irons. A few weeks ago, I compared the head size of the 6-irons of the CB set to the R9 set, and it was almost identical. You can definitely work these irons if you want to do that, but they also have a good bit of forgiveness built into them, they are a really nice set of irons. If you want to go with more of a players' iron but didn't want to go with this year's line, the R9 TP irons would be something to look at. Let me know if you have any other questions about these irons, I've been playing them for about a year.

I'm playing the R9 irons right now, they are definitely more towards the GI side of things as opposed to players' irons. In the Taylormade line right now, these would probably come closest to the Tour Preferred CB irons. A few weeks ago, I compared the head size of the 6-irons of the CB set to the R9 set, and it was almost identical. You can definitely work these irons if you want to do that, but they also have a good bit of forgiveness built into them, they are a really nice set of irons. If you want to go with more of a players' iron but didn't want to go with this year's line, the R9 TP irons would be something to look at. Let me know if you have any other questions about these irons, I've been playing them for about a year.

Okay thanks. I see that they R9s can be found pretty cheap compared to the TM line of mcs/mbs/cbs. I like my irons now but I feel as if I might be missing out on something better for me.

If you want to go with more of a players' iron but didn't want to go with this year's line, the R9 TP irons would be something to look at.

I moved from blades to the R9 TPs in the spring and am quite happy with the ability to work the TPs but still have much more forgiveness and a bit more power. It's been a good move for me so far. That said, I do love the new TM iron line. But for the price, the R9 TPs are still a great option for more of a players club while still offering some forgiveness.

I've been reading reviews all morning on these and love what I see. I just need to go hit them hopefully their in lefty...and also hopefully in TP

Might have a hard time finding them on the shelf anymore.

Are this years TP CB a game improvement or just a forgiving player iron?

Back