Do you share golf tips with your friends or competitors?

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
I was watching a Champions Tour event last week and Bernhard Langer was asked about the recent improvement with his putting. He politely refused to divulge the secret of his recent success. I have always been of the mindset that I'll share anything with anyone if I think it helps them. That being said, I also am not competing for my livelihood. What about you? Do you share info?

Not usually since what works for me, may not for someone else. The only time I might mention something is when I notice alignment issues.

I was watching a Champions Tour event last week and Bernhard Langer was asked about the recent improvement with his putting. He politely refused to divulge the secret of his recent success. I have always been of the mindset that I'll share anything with anyone if I think it helps them. That being said, I also am not competing for my livelihood. What about you? Do you share info?

I ask first if they want it and/or lead with "i'm not a professional and you should take a lesson if you need help."

It's how I wish everyone would be. Unsolicited advice, especially incorrect advice, is a horrible thing.

I usually don't give out advice as I feel I am even remotely qualified to do so.

I think I'm that annoying guy who shares my thoughts on swings although, I'm not good enough myself to teach anything. But it's usually to those who is just starting up or if someone asks.

I only give advice if someone asks and even at that I don't try and pretend that I know a whole bunch about the golf swing.

Only when asked for my opinion.

I will share things that I am currently doing that have helped me, but I am in no way qualified to help anyone with their swing.

I'll only say something if asked or if the person says "I don't know whats wrong today" a couple dozen times.

Totally agree here. I don't give out advice unless asked, but I'll never say no.

Only if asked and I always end my tips with "I'm not an instructor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

JM

If i am playing with you and you ask..?? Sure why not,... If I'm playing AGAINST you ???.....NOT HARDLY

I share tips regardless...even if we are playing against each other and I have local course knowledge.

I don't have many tips to give, but mostly with my friends who play one or two times a year, I'll try to help them when I can. Mostly to do with elongated back swings and overswinging.

I share tips regardless...even if we are playing against each other and I have local course knowledge.

This is my thought as well. It is a gentleman's game after all haha

I only share info if I am asked, or a friend is having a real bad round, I might ask 1 time if they want to know what I am seeing different in their swing.

Do you share golf tips with your friends or competitors?

I've shared a few tips from time to time with my friends.

Last edited:
I'm all about sharing if someone asks no matter who it is. I'm always rooting others on and love sharing things I've learned. One lady kept asking me how I hit the ball so high or why she kept doing this and that so I offered to ride out on the course with her after we played and show her a few things. After that I always encouraged her and she even took a group lesson from our pro. She got most improved player this year. I was so proud of her! I do not offer unsolicited advice unless asked unless it's my husband. He loves when I do that. NOT

I definitely share with my friends when were playing we're all trying to have a good time and when you play well you have fun so why not. Competitors ehhh it's a grey area they have to solicit it and I typically don't share too much.

Using Tapatalk

I'm all about sharing if someone asks no matter who it is. I'm always rooting others on and love sharing things I've learned. One lady kept asking me how I hit the ball so high or why she kept doing this and that so I offered to ride out on the course with her after we played and show her a few things. After that I always encouraged her and she even took a group lesson from our pro. She got most improved player this year. I was so proud of her! I do not offer unsolicited advice unless asked unless it's my husband. He loves when I do that. NOT

I am the same way Kelly! I want to help bring out the best in others, so if someone asks me how I am doing something, I am always glad to help. Without going on a tangent - I just don't understand people who don't won't to take the time to help someone else - the feeling I get from helping someone and watch them improve seems to be as much of a rush for me as it is for them!

Funny, I get asked about my short game a lot, but the driver - not so much :beat-up:

Tips on the driving range: yea.
Tips while playing for a round: nay... just play your game lol
Tips after a round of golf: yea.

I'll share if asked. I have a few friends who are very new to golf who ask for tips during a round so I try to help them out. Not as much with others because I'm no Freddie Kong and don't want to do more harm than good.

I will offer advice if asked, I'll share information amoung friends on something new that I have or tried. I know one guy on our local course that is always trying to get players to use this swing, change this club, play your tee shot from left or right "Most of guys try to avoid him even though he is a really good golfer in his own game".

I only give advice if someone asks and even at that I don't try and pretend that I know a whole bunch about the golf swing.

I'm in this boat. Plus my normal buddy's swing has some Furyk-like quirks to it so I don't know what the heck he has going on anyway.

Back