I have a Mk6 GTI and I don't know how I feel about this TDI thing. They were just trying to cheat emissions, to be honest I feel like emissions testing in most states is just a tax. Don't forget companies like GM hid problems that caused deaths.

I look at is as it would have been something I would have suggested in a meeting about trying to lower emissions. I would have suggested it semi sarcastically and added what could possibly go wrong to the end of it.

I have a Mk6 GTI and I don't know how I feel about this TDI thing. They were just trying to cheat emissions, to be honest I feel like emissions testing in most states is just a tax. Don't forget companies like GM hid problems that caused deaths.
Other companies have been trying for years to bring their diesels for years now, and can't bring a product to market that passes the epas ridiculous diesel restrictions.

Other companies have been trying for years to bring their diesels for years now, and can't bring a product to market that passes the epas ridiculous diesel restrictions.

Diesel isn't that bad, I am surprised its so strict considering its usual 40 mpg at minimum. The US has some sort of hangup when it comes to diesel vehicles unless its a bro dozer. Tell me how a truck that gets 20 mpg max is better than a car that gets 40 mpg min. I can get 5 mpg better than my mk6 is rated for and that is gas.

The really sad thing is I was just complaining about how my local dealership has been stalking me trying to get me to trade my TDI Golf in. Now the resale value just took a giant dump, and depending on what happens I might not be able to resell it in the state (California) until after VW solves this issue.

I wasn't planning to sell it anytime soon, but this doesn't look like something they can fix really quickly.

going to be a big hurt on VW and many of us VW owners.

You guys see the mess going on with VW? I was just about to buy a Jetta TDI. Now sales have been halted....

http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

Diesel isn't that bad, I am surprised its so strict considering its usual 40 mpg at minimum. The US has some sort of hangup when it comes to diesel vehicles unless its a bro dozer. Tell me how a truck that gets 20 mpg max is better than a car that gets 40 mpg min. I can get 5 mpg better than my mk6 is rated for and that is gas.
They have gone after the trucks as well, they have the same power and mpg sapping requirements.

Any VW owners?

Hence the reason Cat, International and many others have moved on from the ridiculous grasp of the EPA and stuck strictly with AG where the requirements aren't so stupid .

Last edited:
Ugh...just got a 2013 Jetta TDI and 2013 Passat TDI (wife)...I LOVE both cars...fuel economy for both is excellent. I drove from Raleigh to Savannah for the invitational this year in the Jetta and averaged over 50 mpg. I'm disappointed in VW for being shady in how they got past the EPA emissions. That being said, the EPA emissions standards for diesels are ridiculous. I am very curious to see how all this plays out. I will not accept a fix that hurts either of our cars fuel economy or power. VW needs to find a fix where the performance of the cars we purchased are not affected. Otherwise they have sold the cars based on fraudulent data.

Ugh...just got a 2013 Jetta TDI and 2013 Passat TDI (wife)...I LOVE both cars...fuel economy for both is excellent. I drove from Raleigh to Savannah for the invitational this year in the Jetta and averaged over 50 mpg. I'm disappointed in VW for being shady in how they got past the EPA emissions. That being said, the EPA emissions standards for diesels are ridiculous. I am very curious to see how all this plays out. I will not accept a fix that hurts either of our cars fuel economy or power. VW needs to find a fix where the performance of the cars we purchased are not affected. Otherwise they have sold the cars based on fraudulent data.
If they could have done that, they wouldn't have needed the fix.

ITs a software fix. Last week I took my 2011 A3 tdi in and they fixed it. I live in California. I use to own a 2009 jetta sportwagen TDI also, so I was all in on the TDI thing. Now I probably would not buy another one, only because I got a new A3 loaner 2.0t. the gas milage on the highway was around 34. AND Most of the time gas is cheaper than diesel and if I can get 34 on the highway and get WAY better performance with the 2.0t or the VW TSI, I see no reason to buy the diesel anymore. It was because of 40 MPG and clean was really the only reasons I was interested. But with the newer gas models getting mid 30's mpg, I see really no reason for the TDIs anymore. This might hurt sales of new TDIs which probably is good for used ones, since TDI geeks will always want one.

Honestly, don't see how that is going to be possible and not sure what VW can/will do about it. For me, I bought mine in 2012 and picked it over a similarly priced Lexus CTH. My guess is when this is all said and done the MPG will be significantly lower than what we have been getting.

Can/will VW do anything about this? That to me is the ultimate question, but my guess is not enough for any of us to be truly satisfied.

I highly doubt you are going to get a product that gets significantly less MPG than it currently gets. I worked in the aftermarket VW/Audi game, performance tunes generally MPG would increase a bit so I doubt they wont be able to figure something out. I am sure they can work it out because if they do not there is going to be a lot of legal ramifications.

I highly doubt you are going to get a product that gets significantly less MPG than it currently gets. I worked in the aftermarket VW/Audi game, performance tunes generally MPG would increase a bit so I doubt they wont be able to figure something out. I am sure they can work it out because if they do not there is going to be a lot of legal ramifications.
But that's the issue all of the manufacturers have, making a product that performs well / gets good mileage AND meets the regulations.

But that's the issue all of the manufacturers have, making a product that performs well / gets good mileage AND meets the regulations.

Yeah but if a company like APR can figure out how to increase HP/TQ while adding MPG there is no way VAG cannot figure it out. My guess is they figured no one would notice and it was cheaper to lie. Just like it was cheaper for GM to ignore their issues and let people die. Paying out for wrongful deaths is cheaper than recalling cars.

If it was a simple thing to up performance while meeting specs, don't you think they would have done that prior to sending these out? This is something that goes back 6 years... that is a long time to possibly fix it, and there is a lot of risk to actively cheat the EPA specs (which VW has seemingly admitted to doing).

Will their be a 5% decrease in MPG? If so that app. 2 mpg lower than what I am currently getting. Will all TDI owners be ok with that? Will it be 10% (4mpg)? Will my car be out of commission for a while during the "fix"? Will my resale value be hurt? Even at 5-10% decrease, this does not look good for those of us that own these vehicles.

If it was a simple thing to up performance while meeting specs, don't you think they would have done that prior to sending these out? This is something that goes back 6 years... that is a long time to possibly fix it, and there is a lot of risk to actively cheat the EPA specs (which VW has seemingly admitted to doing).

Will their be a 5% decrease in MPG? If so that app. 2 mpg lower than what I am currently getting. Will all TDI owners be ok with that? Will it be 10% (4mpg)? Will my car be out of commission for a while during the "fix"? Will my resale value be hurt? Even at 5-10% decrease, this does not look good for those of us that own these vehicles.
Easiest solution is don't take it in for the recall, only way that gets hairy is if you need warranty work.

Easiest solution is don't take it in for the recall, only way that gets hairy is if you need warranty work.

I'm not real sure how this will work. You may need to prove you brought it in to have it done.

This is kind of uncharted territory . Could be interesting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not real sure how this will work. You may need to prove you brought it in to have it done.

This is kind of uncharted territory . Could be interesting .

Prove to who?

I have a year left on my warranty, and if I ever want to sell it, at least within the state of California, or renew my registration in a year, I think I will have to get the recall done.

It is what it is at this point, sucks for everybody.

Any VW owners?

Prove to who?

The EPA or the state for testing purposes .

Usually when the EPA gets involved it isn't optional .

I understand your concerns and I would certainly be upset. As of now you are okay and if there is a recall you will certainly hear about it. I am probably being to optimistic but I would imagine VW would have to make this right in some way or its going to cost them an astronomical amount. Then again, big companies seem to find a way to get out of these sorts of things while screwing over the little guy. They are saying a software tune could fix the issue but decrease MPG while a bigger and more expensive mechanical update would fix the issue but be more costly (obviously at VW expense). Hopefully it gets straightened out in a way that helps the consume.

I have a year left on my warranty, and if I ever want to sell it, at least within the state of California, or renew my registration in a year, I think I will have to get the recall done.

It is what it is at this point, sucks for everybody.

That doesn't surprise me in California, they are the ones who created this mess.
The EPA or the state for testing purposes .

I can't imagine the EPA taking the enforcement of that on, I can see it happening for state testing like you said, luckily we don't have that here.

If the recall lowers mpg, I would certainly expect a very large lawsuit similar to the settlement after the whole Kia debacle a few years ago.

As a new owner of a 2010 Jetta TDI, this is an interesting turn of events. Will wait to see what happens, but I can see the resale value of my car rising of the stop selling new diesels for an extended period of time.

Seems like they set aside 6 or 7 billion? to correct this and their stock also tanked. Probably a good time to buy it.

Back