DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shot did work out well for you. Now the next one, not so much. I had a fun time out there today. I was honestly surprised at how many people were actually on the course. But I was happy that there weren't to many and we were able to get in 27.
Thanks for coming out to play while you were in town. Give a shot put next time your back in the area. We'll get you on a different course next time around.

Absolutely. It's always a blast playing with you guys, and the weather turned out to not be so bad. Now that it's warming up again, I plan on actually practicing and having more than a decent chip in my toolbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever is fine.

LOL....cookie takes requests but then has the power of veto if he's not happy with it. Make a better choice next time Andrew!!!

You know me, I'm just excited to get out with everyone.

LOL....cookie takes requests but then has the power of veto if he's not happy with it. Make a better choice next time Andrew!!!

That's why i hardly post anymore. My opinion doesnt matter. Lol

Normally I don't......but when my CC got dinged for a grand this morning I felt a bit more empowered. :alien:

Normally I don't......but when my CC got dinged for a grand this morning I felt a bit more empowered. :alien:
Just take control Cookie. They'll get over it. I will play with whom ever you pair me up with. Ready to have some fun.

Start up a Fishing With Dr Dru thread and people will be forced to listen!! I'd subscribe.
Lol, thats funny. Maybe I should. Perhaps a segment on how to fish ponds on a golf course?

For Stevens Park, I'm open to any pairing.

Good article I found today on the remodel
http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/renovations_complete_at_historic_stevens_park_gc_in_dallas

Colligan Golf Design has finished up an extensive multi-million-dollar million renovation of Stevens Park Golf Course in Dallas. The municipal facility is one of only two layouts ever designed by Jackie Burke, Sr.; the other - Tenison Park - also in Dallas, underwent a similar remodel 10 years ago.

Burke, who was born in 1890 in Philadelphia and settled in Houston in the late-1920s, is a member of the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. He was also one of the early club pros at Aronomink, and finished second to Ted Ray in the 1920 U.S. Open at Inverness.

His namesake, Jackie Burke Jr., grew the family legacy even more. Jackie Jr. is also a member of the Lone Star State's Golf Hall of Fame and, as a fine player on the PGA Tour - winning four straight tournaments in 1952, second only to Byron Nelson's amazing 11 straight victories - became a member of the PGA Hall of Fame in 1976. Jackie Jr. won both the Masters and PGA Championship in 1956.

Dallas native John Colligan and his associate, Trey Kemp, were given the challenge of placing the Burke Sr. classic back into the limelight. Their task at Stevens Park was pretty daunting: somehow modernize a popular but rundown course built in 1924.

"Quirky" is the term John Colligan uses to describe Burke's routing. There were several "snap" dogleg holes and many others where technology had removed driver from the hands of average players. Over time, the 110-acre course off Montclair Avenue had also been segmented by streets, creeks, trees and underground utilities.

Kemp reconfigured the 5,700-yard course into a track that now measures 6,300 yards from the tips. He utilized existing bluffs, creeks, trees and vistas that had been either ignored, hidden or didn't exist in the original routing.

One key was to convert the short par-4 eighth into a par-3 to allow the ninth tee to be expanded into a 602-yard, par-5. Kemp and Colligan also reversed Nos. 13 through 17. The par-4 15th now features a 40-foot-high tee that offers one of the best views of the "Big D."

Revitalized Stevens Park plays to a par of 70 with a rating of 70.3 and a Slope of 127. "I feel this will be the most enjoyable short course around," promises Colligan.

Other upgrades include a new irrigation system fed by a 400,000-gallon water tank that eliminated the need for a holding pond and which stores the effluent water used to irrigate the course. The new system also allowed the introduction of new playing surfaces: fairways and tees are Premier bermudagrass while the rough is Tifton 10 bermudagrass.

"These two (grasses) provide great playability and superb texture and color contrast," said Kemp. The greens are now Miniverde bermudagrass. Also woven into the design were 38 bunkers.

During Kemp's research he found a 1930 aerial photo of the course that depicted a variety of green shapes. The putting surfaces were square, rectangular, diamond, triangular and round. These same shapes were re-introduced by the designers during the remodel.

Because the city of Dallas wanted Stevens Park to be a "garden golf course" and it is the centerpiece of the historic Kessler Park community in Oak Cliff, over 800 trees were planted. The species include magnolia, Arizona cypress, live oaks, red cedar, red oak, pond cypress, chinquapin oak, holly, pittosporum, nandina and over 2,000 roses.

"It was a perfect storm, with the city of Dallas, Pegasus Management, Dan Farrier, Wadsworth Golf Course Construction and golf course superintendent Frank Hutcheson," Colligan said of the project. "Everyone worked as a team toward a common goal."

Since the course reopened in mid-October, the tee sheet has been full, averaging 210 to 220 golfers a day. "It's been just crazy," head pro Jim Henderson told reporter Roy Appleton of the Dallas Morning News. "It's the most surreal experience I've ever gone through. We've had two people just answering the phone. I had to bring my wife down and give her a crash course in booking tee times.

"A lot of people who grew up in the area are coming back to play," added Henderson. "And people are stopping and taking photographs. We're changing the face of golf for the city of Dallas,"

Pairings as of this moment but subject to change upon request or adds/drops. Feel free to speak up if you want something adjusted.

Won't turn in until Wednesday.

39883fee1824d8cc42983c2ae67661e4.jpg

I decided I don't want to play with Andrew.

No problem, I got another change to make tomorrow that was also since sent my way. I'll take care of you BIGTIME.

Haven't played with anyone that's coming so anything works for me. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem, I got another change to make tomorrow that was also since sent my way. I'll take care of you BIGTIME.
I want to be paired up with someone who's forum name starts with C, J, D, T, M, N, B, or S. Get the picture. I just want to play. Really excited to get back on Stevens Park.

The only person I've met on that list was Orange Hog at last years Minneapolis outing so I am excited to get to play with and meet some more THPers.

Lol, thats funny. Maybe I should. Perhaps a segment on how to fish ponds on a golf course?
I'm in on that! Probably do a little sight fishing this time of year.

Cookie, you can count me in!!

5 times booked for us beginning at 8AM. Still room for 3 more players.

I was emailing the director of golf yesterday and just spoke with the course. I will be providing my CC info to the course in order to book the 5 times at $53/player including cart. There is no driving range. Any no shows will be charged against my CC so it's important that if you plan on playing then you don't cancel. Will post more details regarding cancellation policy tomorrow.

Sunday March 29th 2015
Course: Stevens Park
8:00 AM is first tee time

1. TH34
2. Jman
3. #Cookie
4. Cwmonroe87
5. Nighthawk117a
6. Matthew
7. BigTex
8. afwcardinal
9. Dave Alvarado
10. Staticline
11. GregDan
12. Orange Hog
13. Spring182
14. Cpt. Dru
15. Big Time Nate
16. mpete
17. CRW
18. OPEN
19. OPEN
20. OPEN

5 times booked for us beginning at 8AM. Still room for 3 more players.

$53/player including cart. There is no driving range. Any no shows will be charged against my CC so it's important that if you plan on playing then you don't cancel.

Need to know by end of day Wednesday of any changes to the below list as I need to update course Thursday AM.

Sunday March 29th 2015
Course: Stevens Park
8:00 AM is first tee time

1. TH34
2. Jman
3. #Cookie
4. Cwmonroe87
5. Nighthawk117a
6. Matthew
7. BigTex
8. afwcardinal
9. Dave Alvarado