Forum Testing Signup - TaylorMade R11 Irons

1. What irons do you currently play? I play the old Top-Flite Tour irons from just after high school.

2. What shafts are in those irons? Spalding True Temper Top-Flite Advance Flex Regular steel shaft

3. What do you look for in irons? I look mainly for a good combination of workability/accuracy and forgiveness.

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I haven't hit them yet, but I've hit each of the Tour Preferred irons and the Burner 2s. I've been impressed with the feel and distance of each one I've hit, although the Burner 2 felt a bit bulky. I'm curious how the larger heads on the r11s would affect the way I play them on the course.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level?
I am a new member, but I plan to be very active here at THP. I take a very methodical approach to practice and am looking forward to taking advantage of the advances in technology as well as the community support that have developed since I was last playing golf competitively. There's a lot of cumulative knowledge on this website and I'm looking forward to using it to make my game better and helping others in whatever way I can.

I currently play two to three times a week and hit the range an additional two to three times a week. I record the majority of my practice sessions and often record my swing during rounds. I also have a journal where I keep track of various aspects of my performance and things I'd like to test as well as improve upon. If I am chosen to test these irons, this approach would be much more thorough. Providing that data for other golfers, after all, is what I imagine the point to these tests to be. Updates would follow every round and practice session, and commentary would focus on feel, distance, and workability, with pictures and video. I also have occasional access to a launch monitor, so I can provide hard data for the number crunchers. I would welcome questions and requests, and I can also post to Facebook and Twitter. Although my irons are quite out of date, I have demoed multiple sets of irons in the last few weeks and have logged quite a few notes in the interest of finding an iron set with a good combination of workability/accuracy and forgiveness.

Last edited:
Holy smokes this is so cool, what a great opportunity for THP members! Thanks TaylorMade and THP and good luck to everyone!

1. I currently play Callaway Razr X Tour irons
2. DG S300
3. I look for a combination of feel, forgiveness, feedback, length and looks in that order.
4. I have not tried them, I was very intrigued by what all the TMaG sponsored Morgan Cup players were saying about them though.
5. I practice and/or play 2 to 3 times a week. I'm generally quite active on THP and would love to share my experience with testing these irons with the THP members.

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping i15 bent 0.75 degrees flat.
2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock steel in regular flex & standard length.
3. What do you look for in irons? I like a little bit of offset and some forgiveness.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not the pleasure of hitting these irons.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I play nearly everyday and I would put these irons right into the bag and into play. I know the distances of my current irons well and the normal shot shape, so I would be able to compare these as far as a starting point for the testing. I would keep a log/note book with me at all times during the testing to note ball flight, distance etc. as well as using my GPS for additional information. I am on the site daily off and on throughout the day, and I post several times a day.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner HT
2. What shafts are in those irons? Steel, regular flex
3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness, feel and distance
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? I haven't had the opportunity to hit the R11s yet.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Hit the range several times before taking them to the course, due to play in some scrambles in the very near future as well as regular rounds so would be using them then as well. Compare them to my current clubs and previous clubs played. Pretty new to THP, but plan on being a more more active member now that I am playing more.

Awesome opportunity!! Would definitely have signed up had I not get fitted for a set of these just today.

Awesome opportunity for the lucky testers selected. Being that I'm testing the Adams A12 OS set I'll be bowing out of this one. Good luck to everyone throwing their name in and a huge thanks to TMAG and THP for providing us with this wonderful opportunity.

Just wanted to come in and say thank you to THP and TaylorMade for this opportunity. I can't tell enough people about how much I love these irons, and I'm really looking forward to more peoples thoughts. Good luck everyone.

Man, it hurts to have to hold out on this one, but I am gonna have to because I only get to play once a week until football is over. Thanks a TON TM and THP.

Another amazing opportunity for 5 lucky people to test what should be some fantastic irons.

1. What irons do you currently play?

Callaway Big Bertha 08 Irons

2. What shafts are in those irons?

Standard light weight steel shafts

3. What do you look for in irons?

I like my irons to provide me with a feeling of confindence when I am addressing the ball. I've never really had an issue with distance, so whilst this is important it's not a key factor for me. Accuracy and workability are two important things though, and forgiveness from the odd bad shot is also something that's always appreciated.

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts?

I am currently in the process of deciding whether to change my irons or not, and these were some of the first one's I have had a crack with at the range. They are fantastic looking irons and provide a sweet feeling when the ball is struck cleanly. I tried both the steel and graphite shafts (stiff graphite) and both seemed to suit my swing, so this is something I am likely to look for should I opt to change them.

I am active on the THP forums daily and very much enjoying the THP community. In terms of testing, I play at least 2 full rounds of golf per week, and have the luxury of having a driving range within 10 minutes drive of my place of work so often duck out at lunchtime for a quick "bucket of balls". Given the large amount of time I spend either on the course or at the driving range, THP would be able to expect regular updates from me as well as a detailed first impression and after testing conclusion.

Jacob -- this thing is gonna fill up quicker than a red neck pub on Friday night! TaylorMade is an AWESOME company and these irons are popular already! Just watch the frenzy after this puppy has been out a couple of days.... This thread is going to look like a bunch of piranha fish hooking up for feed fest. lol It's going to be fun for five folks when the roll is called!

Another great testing/review opportunity from :thp: and :taylormade:!

Mizuno MP-30

TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300

First, I think an iron has to look/feel good at address. That can mean different things to different folks, but I think it's important to look down at an iron and have the confidence that you can pull off the intended shot. Second, I want the right blend of forgiveness and feedback. Taking advantage of weight redistribution helps us hackers hit the ball long and straight, even on less than perfect hits. However, I still want to know if I'm not striking the center of the clubface, so I can work more on ballstriking. Finally, I want an iron that retains workability. I don't always drive the ball in the middle of the fairway, and I play some heavily wooded courses, so having an iron that I can bend around the trees or hit under the branches, when needed, is important.

I have not had to opportunity to hit the R11, but I did look at them in the store last week, and was impressed with their overall appearance. They appear to have a lot of technology going on, but not at the expense of aesthetics.

If selected for testing, I would plan to put these irons through their paces at frequent range sessions (2-3x/week) and on-course (1-2x/week). I would provide updates after each session with a combination of text, photos, and video. In the off-season, I plan on continuing my play with weekly "rounds" at a local indoor (simulator) facility. While the simulator rounds may not provide much information about turf interaction, they would allow me to keep very detailed stats about each club's performance and compare with my current irons.

Since joining THP in July, I have been an active member, participating in threads in multiple sub-forums. I am not a heavy-poster, but I do contribute if I have something to say that has not already been addressed. I do log-on to the forums multiple times throughout the day to keep abreast of the latest goings-on. I also follow THP on Facebook and Twitter, and enjoy the other elements of the site, such as the radio shows, videos, staff and member reviews, and the store. This is truly a great golf community.

Best of luck to those signing up for testing and thanks again to :thp: and :taylormade: for the great forum-member long-term testing opportunities!

WOW :shock: :taylormade: is really stepping up to the plate!! Big Kuddos to THP and to Taylormade for this incredible opportunity to test some of the hottest irons on the market! Because of my commitment to testing the Adams A12os Hybrids/Irons, I will not be signing up, but I know that THP and Taylormade will choose 5 great forum members that will give these irons a real workout!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade R7

2. What shafts are in those irons? True temper dynamic gold steel/stiff

3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness workability feel and looks. I prefer a thin top line.

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have tried 6 and 7 iron in the simulator. First impression on looks alone I was blown away! At address the irons have a traditional look with a thin top line that inspires confidence. And the feel through the ball was buttery smooth! They have the feel of a forged iron.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? If I'm lucky enough to be chosen as a tester I plan to test at the range 1-2 times a week and play a minimum of 1 round golf per week plus testing the wedges at home just about everyday. I will give the irons a thorough test with frequent updates and pics. I'll give my thoughts on first impressions and answer any and all questions and a full review at the end of the testing period. I am new to THP but in a short time I'd say I'm borderline fanatical on the site I'm on multiple times a day from morning to night. I'm trying to find my place here taking in everything this forum has to offer and giving my input thoughts and help when appropriate.

Ping i3 O-Size

Ping Cushin Z-Z65 (Stiff)

I have always been drawn to irons with thin top lines. I am not a fan of designs that look and feel chunky at address. I need an iron that offers forgiveness because I am definitely in need of some assistance with off center hits.

I have not even seen the R11s in person. I have played the Burner 2.0's a few times while traveling as they are prevalent on Clubcorp courses and have really liked them, so I would be excited to try the R11s. I have always been a fan of TM irons.

I check out THP anytime I am online and participate in discussions when I think I can add something. My golf season is just getting started as I will be able to practice without it being over 100 degrees here in Central TX. I plan on twice weekly range sessions and at least one round per week. In addition to regular updates on the forum, I will send live Tweets during play. I will do my best to communicate all of my feelings about the clubs and testing results especially as compared to the playability and forgiveness of my current clubs and other clubs I have played.

Wow, seems like there is a demo every week now. Good luck to all those who enter and thanks to TM again for the opportunity to demo some of their offerings.

I'm not very lucky, but I'll throw my hat in the ring!

1. What irons do you currently play? TM SuperLaunch, I think testing the high end clubs versus the game improvement clubs would be very interesting?!?
2. What shafts are in those irons? Standard TM steel stiff flex
3. What do you look for in irons? I’m a high handicap player so I went to the SL for forgiveness and a higher ball flight
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Not yet, but everything I’ve read has been tremendous and I'm a TM guy for sure
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Just signed up today, not in relation to this test opportunity but through the urging of one of playing partners war.eagle. I like what I see and I plan to be very active here. As a former math teacher I have a strong analytical side and I would be on here posting thoughts, pics and vids at every opportunity. I play at least once a week and could get the range another 2 days to give these clubs a work out.

1. What irons do you currently play? TM MC's
2. What shafts are in those irons? KBS X tour
3. What do you look for in irons? I look for forgivness, ball flight, weight/balance of face, thin top view and workablitiy.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I've never tried the R11, but would love to!
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I play a couple rounds a week and get to the rance once or twice a week as well. I would test the R11 against my current TM set and play my home course at times I would be able to do a side by side test. I would give my opinions on the set of irons no less than once a week and hopefully twice with pictures and videos (if I could figure it out) which could help the readers understand my thoughts and why I have them. Some of the things I would judge and compare are the exact things I look for in a set of irons as listed above. I would be willing to update THP facebook page and my twitter account with thoughts and updates a well. I'm an active user on THP and am here daily updating threads and posting. I would be posting daily in the review thread and answering as many question as I could about these irons in which members have.

Thank you to TaylorMade and THP for such a great oppertunity once again.

Embarrassed to say... Knight Connexion Irons

Stock shafts (Steel, Shift)

I look for irons that give me confidence when I stand over the ball. I prefer irons that are more forgiving and produce a high launch angle. Distance is not an important factor to me.

I have not tried them nor really researched them. It would be a fresh slate and unbiased if I were chosen.

I would golf 1-2 times per week. I would goto the range at least once a week as well. I would take A TON of pictures and even videos of the clubs in action. I have friends who are much better than me, so I would let them test and provide feedback on the clubs as well. I would then provide updates on twitter as well as my sports blog. I joined THP last month and I visit the forums daily.

Last edited:
Say whaaaat? Much love to :taylormade: and :thp: for this wonderful testing opportunity.

I am swinging a set of 5-PW & AW Callaway Big Bertha 2006 Irons at 2* upright.

My irons are fitted with uniflex steel shafts. They are OK, but I always think that my next set might be different.

At this point I'd like a set with a good look, great sound, great out of a variety of lies and maybe most importantly, allow me to start to take the next step with my game. I have read that the TMR11s have a great groove pattern that could help me with my mid and short-game touch. Also, I can probably drop some handicap points with my BB2006s, but those irons are already 5 years old, how much can new tech help me?

I have not. I held a 7 iron in the Golfsmith once! From that experience I thought they were pretty sweet looking. Outside of that, my thoughts are heavily influenced by the experiences of the Morgan Cuppers, most of which reported a strong affection for these clubs both during and after the event.

My story includes an active interest in actually improving my game, not just talking about it and how these clubs may help/hinder that. At this point, I'm going to the range at least three times a week and am looking to play at least 9 holes once a week. I will be soon keeping track of my vital golf statistics, misses, FIR,GIR, etc etc. As you can see in my currently test of the Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood, I post often, hopefully with clarity, effective descriptions and some humor. I recently purchased a tripod stand so I can take videos with my smart phone (once it finally gets here, c'mon Amazon!), so I look to improve my posts with quality videos to go along with my writing. (For an IT guy, I'm a way better writer than videographer!) As for my activity level, I log on to THP at least once a day and comment two to three times that. I'm considering getting Tapatalk for my phone because THP is more powerful of an addicting presence than most illegal drugs I am aware of. I currently testing the Boccieri Heavy Wood testing where I endeavor to post every two to four days. I also have Google+, Facebook and Twitter accounts I try to post to them on a regular basis, repping and retweeting THP and the testing I'm doing.

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Tour Burner 4-PW
2. What shafts are in those irons? True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (steel)
3. What do you look for in irons? Definitely looking for a bit more distance, balance, forgiveness, accuracy and workability. I like irons with a thin top line and ones that look ready to pulverize balls at address. Easy to hit and minimal loss of distance on slight miss-hits.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not had a chance to try these yet, but have been drooling over them ever since they came out! I didn't think TM could match their Burner 2.0 line, but I think the R11's have a great chance at over taking them. To each their own, but I've been slowly moving from a "Burner lover" to the "R11 line" lover. Does that make sense? Sure it does...
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing these irons will be a cinch! These irons look so great and have gotten such good reviews from the Morgan Cup, I could game them tomorrow and not skip a beat. I'll setup range sessions with my current set and get some swing videos taken noting the differences between sets. I can repeat the same for on course action as well. And since these clubs are pin-seekers, I'll have fun fixing divots with my Greensaver! Reviewing clubs won't be a problem as I love to write up reviews and am very long-winded and thorough. My activity level on THP is good. I'm on THP every day and love chiming in on all threads, random to relevant. I also am an avid Twitterererer and Facebooker, following both THP and TM on both. I'll soon be celebrating my 1 year anniversary on THP and what a great way to celebrate, if I could test me some R11 irons!

Thanks again THP and TM - a spectacular combination!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Burner 1.0

2. What shafts are in those irons?Burner Superfast 85 regular flex

3. What do you look for in irons? Feel, results from mis hits, forgiveness. All around feel of the irons

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? NO! Depressing that I havent gotten to try these. I knew when the driver cam out they would follow with irons eventully. They look amazing and Im sure they perform much better than they are talked about!

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? As Ive said before I would continue doing my 2 to 3 rounds a week as well as 3 2hr range sessions every week. I also spend as much time as possible on the range and course over the weekends. Its starting to get cold here in Indiana but still plenty of time left to golf. If all else fails I have a heated range I go to every year thru the winter. If I am picked for this, I would give a complete an honest review of these. Being a TM guy all of my golf life I cant think of anything negative I would have to say about them. I can assure you that it would be very very vewry much appreciated to get this opprotunity. Thank you THP and Taylormade AGAIN for everything you guys do for us. My motto since I joined here is this......THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE THAN THP BESIDES THE GOLF COURSE ITSELF. Thanks THP and all the companies as well as all the great forum members for making this a wonderful experience since I have become a part of it. My activity level has been very good since Ive joined and this post actually makes my 100th! I WILL NOT be going anywhere. This place is like me being a kid in a candy store. So many great things going on and such great advice from very informative members. I will continue to stay active as long as Im breathing. Again thank you to everyone for everything!!

THANKS THP AND TAYLORMADE! :act-up:

1. What irons do you currently play? - Taylormade Burner 2.0's

2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock Stiff Flex Steel

3. What do you look for in irons? Feel, look, control, Taylormade, durability

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I havent tried them, however the reviews from the morgan cup are all awesome. I have played the B1's, B2's, and this would be a great opportunity to move up to the R11's.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Well right now I am playing about 3 times a week. Hitting the driving range almost daily as well. Our season here is drawing to a close but Ill play until it snows. I didnt mean for that to rhyme! I am on THP near daily, but always see thier facebook posts. I will take video and photos of everything that I can and give a fair and hopefully accurate review of the irons.

Nike TW VR Blades

Project X 6.0

Thin topline. Workability. Feel. Accuracy.

They look similar to the CB in my opinion other than the forged face on the CB.

I'd be interested in experimenting with the TaylorMade CB on the launch monitor and see how they stack up with each other.
I play at least 2-3 times a week w/ range sessions and I can take pictures and film a few swings here and there. I can determine how easy it is to work the ball as well as comment on feel and accuracy. I'll post my findings and experiences on a weekly basis to inform the community on how it performs.

1. What irons do you currently play? - Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 5-PW
2. What shafts are in those irons? - Actionlite 55 Graphite
3. What do you look for in irons? - Distance, Distance, ease of use, Feel & Weighting and did I say Distance?
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? - No, I love my new CG-16s. But word on the board and elsewhere say these may be a winner
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? - Play 2-3 times a week with a couple of range sessions. I would be comparing the R11s to my current irons (side by side if the course isn't busy) and would try to document the process via written thoughts and video whenever possible.I am a daily surfer thru the THP site and contribute whenever possible.

Thanks THP for the consideration.

Thanks THP and TM!

1. What irons do you currently play? Adams Redline
2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock steel, regular flex
3. What do you look for in irons? Accuracy, consistency, good feel, and forgiveness
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have yet to try the R11 irons. This iron set seems to take the best of what TM has and bundled it one package.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am active on THP. My testing plan would be to golf twice per week and have 1 range session per week. Would use vids/pics/ and text to report my findings. I really enjoy the process of testing.

Will be a fantastic test for sure! Thanks again.

Back