Difference btw hyrid and FW?

Miss Shanksalot

Newb trying to break 100!
Reaction score
Handicap
Alignment
Okay, Teh Google has given me about a billion different answers for this question. What is the difference between a hybrid and a FW? How about a "fybrid," a hybrid, and a FW?

Yes, I'm golf stupid. I just started taking lessons in February and only played my first rounds in September. I'm asking because I don't know whether I should add a FW or a hybrid to my collection. Right now, I have a Callaway FT-iZ hybrid 3 (21*) and 5 (27*).

So I'm thinking I need about a 24* something or other. But I don't know whether I should get another hybrid or a FW. Is one easier to hit than another? I have to admit that I'm not great with my hybrids, but I'm pretty sure that I'd really suck at trying to hit regular 3, 4, and 5 irons.

Thanks,
Kim

Hybrid is gonna be a lot more versatile especially in lies.other than the fairway. As far as technical difference someone more qualified will have to answer that for you.

They are really different clubs. The hybrid was created to be more user friendly compared to long irons. They were intended to replace the long iron for some and have caught fire (both for amateurs and tour players) due to their user friendliness. They started in Japan and came over here when a team at Taylormade led by John Hoeflich and Clay Long created the first one.

At their rawest state, think of a iron shaft with a fw head on the end of it. Hence the name of the club, since they are a hybrid mix of FW wood and iron. Now fast forward a decade or so and the market has been flooded with different types of heads. Reason being? Because some people hit woods better than they hit irons. Sweeping swing to digging swing. In the Spring issue of THP the Magazine, there is an interview with John Hoeflich about the hybrid and who should be using what type? Its a really good read if you have that issue.

Take all the names out of it for the most part. Determine if you are a sweeper or a digger in basic terms with your swing. Do you pick the ball clean or hit down on the ball and take divots? Are you better with irons or FW woods? All of these will determine which shape is best for you. Then pick the brand that sounds and feels the best and matches up with the wallet the best.

Then get fit for the best shaft for your swing and you should be home free.

Now keep in mind, this info is completely raw and there is far more information out there as you get more scientific about breaking down different heads and how they respond differently. But the first step is to determine which "head type" works for you (if looking at hybrids). The FW Wood shape (Adams SuperBlack comes to mind) or the iron shape (Cleveland DST comes to mind). From there you can fine tune and decide which one to get.

Hope this helps.

Okay. So what I'm getting is that they both should accomplish pretty much the same things (though the hybrid probably will be able to get me out of the rough better than the FW), and that I should make my decision based on feel (i.e., particular to me). I tend to be a digger, so I'm going to take that into account. Even though my FT-iZs look more FW-shaped, I still tend to dig those things.

Are there people who don't play with woods at all (i.e., only play with hybrids)?

And where does a niblick really fit into all of this? (Or should I tart another thread for that?)

Thanks, JB.

I dont play with Woods a lot outside of my driver. Im going to a 15.5 degree hybrid instead of a 3 wood.

A niblick is a completely different animal. It is a utility club that some would use instead of wedges or irons around the green. There is a thread on them that is about 50 pages long.

I have a three wood in my bag, but i'm not very successful with it. I tend to hit a hybrid better, so I use my 19.5° instead when I have longer distances. My friend is no good with a hybrid, but put a 7W in his hands and he will kill the ball with it. It's all really a preference thing when it comes down to it.

In answer to your question, I just recently removed my last wood from my bag (5W) and am now playing all hybrids after driver like JB mentioned he was going to do soon. I find the versatility of the hybrids better for my game and allows me to do more with each club.

I dont play with Woods a lot outside of my driver. Im going to a 15.5 degree hybrid instead of a 3 wood.

A niblick is a completely different animal. It is a utility club that some would use instead of wedges or irons around the green. There is a thread on them that is about 50 pages long.

Slightly off topic, but then again not really, but how concerned should a person be with distance? Doesn't a fairway shot go farther than a hybrid due to the increased size of the clubhead? For example JB, the SF fairway is the biggest out there and you yourself have sworn how long it is, would a 15.5 hybrid still give you all that distance, or is it a sacrifice for more versatility?

Slightly off topic, but then again not really, but how concerned should a person be with distance? Doesn't a fairway shot go farther than a hybrid due to the increased size of the clubhead? For example JB, the SF fairway is the biggest out there and you yourself have sworn how long it is, would a 15.5 hybrid still give you all that distance, or is it a sacrifice for more versatility?

Yes, distance can be a factor, but its not just about the club head size, its also about shaft length. However shot dispersion is even more important and if a shorter shaft gives one more accuracy (not always the case), then it can work out well. The other side of it is gaps. It does not matter how far or how short one hits the ball if there are large yardage gaps in their bag.

Amateur golfers have been programmed (in my opinion) about what should be in their bag. From the time we pick it up, with starter sets or full sets, we see what others use and determine what should be in our bag rather than what "really" should be in our bag. Wedges are the perfect example of this. Off of my mini rant now, it really comes down to where you play and what works best for the person to keep the ball in play with minimal gaps between clubs.

Yes, distance can be a factor, but its not just about the club head size, its also about shaft length. However shot dispersion is even more important and if a shorter shaft gives one more accuracy (not always the case), then it can work out well. The other side of it is gaps. It does not matter how far or how short one hits the ball if there are large yardage gaps in their bag.

Amateur golfers have been programmed (in my opinion) about what should be in their bag. From the time we pick it up, with starter sets or full sets, we see what others use and determine what should be in our bag rather than what "really" should be in our bag. Wedges are the perfect example of this. Off of my mini rant now, it really comes down to where you play and what works best for the person to keep the ball in play with minimal gaps between clubs.

Well stated JB! :good:

Shaft length is usually the key, a hot face matters as well. 3 wood standard length is 43 inches and hybrids can vary in length but i would think a 15.5 degree hybrid would generally be shorter due to a shorter shaft. People are swearing by how long the mashie is though.

Thanks JB. I have been half looking at getting a new 3 wood and until reading this thread it never dawned on me that I could just skip the wood and get a hybrid for that role. The gaps at the top of my bag are fairly big at the moment, and my 3 wood is not always my best club. Might be something to look into.... I'm assuming you're going for the 15.5 Mashie?

The thing for me is that I feel like I have a 3 wood because it's just what people have in their bag. When I went club shopping as a beginner, I just assumed that I needed one. I NEVER use it from the fairway and I'm much more accurate with a higher lofted hybrid off the tee. If I can't hit a hybrid into a green I don't really have any business going for it any way. Right now I feel like it just takes up space for no real reason.

Okay, another question.

I pretty much like my current hybrids (and in any case, I'm not willing to spend the $$ right now to get new ones. I just need a 25*-ish because I definitely have a gap in my yardage that needs to be taken care of.).

When I hit the hybrids, they have a lower trajectory and are more laser-like than my actual irons. Is this what's supposed to be happening?

I find that mine are usually higher than their iron counterpart.

I have had problems hiting a 3W for as long as I could remember and for a long time kept trying one 3w after the other to no avail and finally took it out of my bag completely. I was marginally successful with the 5W so the top of my bag had Driver then 5W. About 6 weeks ago I found a Nickent 1 Hybrid (14*) for $20 in the used bin at my local store, took a shot and purchased it and have loved it ever since. It is the club I go to normally for that second shot on par 5s whether or not I am in the fairway or just off it, (used to use the 5W but only if on fairway). It is a great club to punch out with due to its low loft I can usually hit it pretty good and keep it under the trees. With the success the 1h was giving me along with my 4h that had always been my money club, it was a natural for me to go looking for a Hybrid to fit in between, and then I found the 18.5+* again in the bargain bin ($15 this time). The success I have had with this club has allowed me to remove the 5W from my bag with no regrets and more importantly no worries. Anyone looking to "try" hybrids, I would suggest looking for Nickent Hybrids. They are very easy to hit and you can genenerally find them for a real good deal.

Okay, another question.

I pretty much like my current hybrids (and in any case, I'm not willing to spend the $$ right now to get new ones. I just need a 25*-ish because I definitely have a gap in my yardage that needs to be taken care of.).

When I hit the hybrids, they have a lower trajectory and are more laser-like than my actual irons. Is this what's supposed to be happening?

The short answer is no. The extra mass and weighting should give you a higher ball flight. But in reality, the shafts, heads, and so much more can play a major role in ball flight.

I find that mine are usually higher than their iron counterpart.

Okay, but I don't have the iron counterparts. I only have 6-SW irons. Then I have a 5H and a 3H, and their shafts are tons longer and have much more flex than the shafts in my irons.

Okay, but I don't have the iron counterparts. I only have 6-SW irons. Then I have a 5H and a 3H, and their shafts are tons longer and have much more flex than the shafts in my irons.

If I am understanding you correctly then it is very normal for the 5H to be lower than your other clubs because the 5H has a lower loft. But a 5H will go higher than a 5I, in general. As for your question about filling the gap in your clubs, I would definitely suggest getting the 4H. You will find that it will be able to hit more greens.

I don't really use my FW at all, mainly because I can't hit with it except off a tee :) But I absolutely :love: my 4 hybrid. Not only do I use it in the rough, but I use it in the fairways in lieu of my 3 wood.

Okay, another question.

I have this exact same problem. I can't seem to get much loft with my hybrid, but it sure does go long and straight though :good:

About 6 weeks ago I found a Nickent 1 Hybrid (14*) for $20 in the used bin at my local store, took a shot and purchased it and have loved it ever since. Then I found the 18.5+* again in the bargain bin ($15 this time).

I hope you don't mind me asking....but what is your local store in L.A.? I need to stop by every now and then and scope out the bargain bin.

I have this exact same problem. I can't seem to get much loft with my hybrid, but it sure does go long and straight though :good:

Exactly. It's not a line drive, but it's definitely a lower trajectory.

I think I'm going to try out the Cleveland Hibore 4H and see if I like that better than my FT-iZs.

If I am understanding you correctly then it is very normal for the 5H to be lower than your other clubs because the 5H has a lower loft. But a 5H will go higher than a 5I, in general. As for your question about filling the gap in your clubs, I would definitely suggest getting the 4H. You will find that it will be able to hit more greens.

Thanks. As I said, I just can't compare the irons and the hybrids because I have no overlap. I guess I'll be getting another hybrid, tho!

Back