Xbox One and PS4 Systems

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I am not a gamer. I found a Xbox I had and its set up in the bedroom and for the most part collects dust, but we do use it for streaming media from our TV Hub in the living room.

These two systems are coming out and I am sure they will be a huge hit.

Which is the better system?
What are the major differences?
Will you be getting one at release?

I'm on the fence with both as well. Certainly looking to help be convinced one way or the other. Currently have a 360 right now and have some Xbox Live cards still to use but that isn't a deterrent to getting a ps4

I'm in the same boat. Want one, not sure which. Want a backup bluray player, games, etc. old Wii just gathering dust. Want better tech.

Gently tapped like a downhill three-footer.

Pre ordered an Xbox One here!

Biggest question is what do you want to use it for?

Media Center, get a one

Gaming system, ps4

• Admin
I should reiterate that I am not in the market one, I just know its a hot topic right now.

And I'm making a the switch from 360 to Sony.

I want a gaming system, not an entertainment system (even though ps4 also does Netflix, etc)

Biggest question is what do you want to use it for?

Media Center, get a one

Gaming system, ps4
Care to elaborate a bit? What helps you come to that conclusion?

Was vaguely interested in a PS4 to replace my PS3 but no backwards compatibility and no streaming means no way for me, can't justify two consoles.
They are supposed to be offering access to previous gen via cloud at some point and that may persuade me to jump but not really interested in paying for content again.

If you're not gaming, there are som great streaming media players based on Android that you get get for very little and turn any TV into a decent media centre.

Care to elaborate a bit? What helps you come to that conclusion?

Been beaten to death in the Video Games thread, not going to rehash here.

Look no further when the xb1 commercials refer to it as the "Xbox One Entertainment System"

I'm too old for video games, says this Asian guy. HA!

I've just started looking at both systems. Really not sure which way I'm going to go. I wont be getting one at release it will probably be closer to Christmas based on availability. I can wait a while if/when everyone is sold out.

PS4 for me i got a pre order and i'm really looking forward to getting it.

i completely agree with Joe, XBox one is a do all media center you can watch tv right through it and watch movies through it, they actually seemed to spend more time on showing off those features than any games in the press conference... it seems they put a lot of thought into it becoming more of a media center than a gaming system (i know it will also play games but they didn't show me much of that yet)... the PS4 seems to be more focused on being a gaming system and improving things with developers of games and with some major complaints with the PS3... the media they shown is more gaming based with sharing videos of your game play and better connection with your friends, which was a let down on the PS3. ive watched a ton of videos about both of them over the last few months and to me it really is gonna come down to 2 things imo.... personal taste of what you're looking for in a console and if you're a fan boy or not on what, but i still think a lot of people will wait and see how things fall over the next few months and pick one from there. but again for me if i wanna go on the internet or watch tv i'll grab my computer or turn my tv on. no need to go through my gaming console and use it unnecessarily and although i did try netflix for a while though my ps3 i barely used it and cancelled it because of that. i really think they improved in a lot of ways from where there were let downs in the PS3 and i just don't see the need to spend an extra $100 right now on an Xbox one so i can move my hands to get it to change the tv channel. if i'm playing a gaming system i usually don't want to move at all! lol

Xbox one. Not sure why

MS thinks that the Xbox One will be understood to play games. They think the ability to add media functions will enhance its acceptability in the Family Room instead of the basement connected to an old TV.

My kids have asked for a X1 for Christmas. Their reason is the Kinect and for the games they like it def adds something.

Does the PS4 have something similar? I haven't seen it if they do and that's the deal maker for us.

If I were to get a new console it would be PS4. Because I don't play that often it would make sense to go with the system that offers some sort of online capability for free. Couldn't pay $50 a year for Live and then never using it. At least with with Sony you can connect to the Internet for free with an option to upgrade if you would like.

MS thinks that the Xbox One will be understood to play games. They think the ability to add media functions will enhance its acceptability in the Family Room instead of the basement connected to an old TV.

My kids have asked for a X1 for Christmas. Their reason is the Kinect and for the games they like it def adds something.

Does the PS4 have something similar? I haven't seen it if they do and that's the deal maker for us.

Ps4 has a camera as well you just aren't forced to buy it like with the xbox one. Ps4 will have some media functions like Internet access and netflix and such they just don't seem to be hanging their hat on that. Not having a family my ps4 is in my " family room" cause it a me room. Haha

If I were to get a new console it would be PS4. Because I don't play that often it would make sense to go with the system that offers some sort of online capability for free. Couldn't pay $50 a year for Live and then never using it. At least with with Sony you can connect to the Internet for free with an option to upgrade if you would like.

This would be me!!!

They do have some online for free but multiplayer will cost you now but comes with free games every month now.

I don't have a 360 or a PS3 right now...not really a gamer anymore...guess I am too old.

Do what I do with the online memberships. That is wait until black friday and go to best buy or walmart and they always have the 3 month gold cards for around 7-12 dollars. I buy about 4 or 5 (12-15 months) for around 35-45 dollars instead of the full 50-60 they charge and then I have the freedom to play for a few months and not have to worry about getting bored after that and wasting a whole year. And when I get something new to play I will activate another one.

I have one of both on order for launch day. I was planning on keeping the PS4 and flipping the XBOX to pay for the other one, but with Watch Dogs delayed there aren't any real killer games I am looking for so I plan to flip both to help pay for some souvenirs at WDW.

I'm not a gamer but I handle one of the biggest game companies in the world. So I was able to see both systems at E3 this past summer. The PS4 was the best in my opinion and that of my client ubisoft.

I want the ps4. I have a 360 now, and I do like it, but I've always been a bigger sony fan.

Do what I do with the online memberships. That is wait until black friday and go to best buy or walmart and they always have the 3 month gold cards for around 7-12 dollars. I buy about 4 or 5 (12-15 months) for around 35-45 dollars instead of the full 50-60 they charge and then I have the freedom to play for a few months and not have to worry about getting bored after that and wasting a whole year. And when I get something new to play I will activate another one.

I need to do that. I'll have one early in the new year, but I may still want to roll Xbox360 for a couple months (and my yearly ends Jan1).

I'm not a gamer but I handle one of the biggest game companies in the world. So I was able to see both systems at E3 this past summer. The PS4 was the best in my opinion and that of my client ubisoft.

Ubisoft!!! Awesome company!! Assassin's Creed has been a great series of games.

Back