Went for the 1st time this last week in Grant, CO. Was so much fun. Caught this 25 incher right off the bat.

0a6ad52d53161fb6c93f668330987ef5.jpg

Went for the 1st time this last week in Grant, CO. Was so much fun. Caught this 25 incher right off the bat.

No that's a fish story!!!

Tried fly fishing once - never caught a single fly.
Actually, years ago, I use to do some spring nymph fly fishing, but found out that I could catch more and bigger browns and rainbows using small red worms.

Nice catch! Now you've given me another spot to go fish. Thanks!

Nice catch! Now you've given me another spot to go fish. Thanks!

That river that runs along 285 is a hot spot from what I hear. We fished on some private property but I'm sure you know that area better than I.

That river that runs along 285 is a hot spot from what I hear. We fished on some private property but I'm sure you know that area better than I.
I actually don't know that area at all lol. I know the river but had to look up where Grant is and what river ran through it. Only a 3 hour drive from me so I will definitely explore it this summer sometime. Looks like you had perfect conditions for catching big fish and made it count!

I started at 5 years old and have been fly fishing ever sense!! Love tying flies too!

I've fished all my life and I've never caught a bigger trout!! That is a beauty!!

I've fished all my life and I've never caught a bigger trout!! That is a beauty!!

She was a pig! Guy I was fishing with then caught around a 28incher. Had multiple break the line before we could get 'em in.

Green Drakes are on! Fished for a couple of hours last night and slayed them! I caught about 12-15 fish, half on stonefly nymphs before the hatch and half on dries during.

Caught these two beauties on back to back casts while nymphing. Both were 20". Most of the rest of the fish were between 16-19". I fish this hatch every year and it is easily the best, most exciting hatch I've ever fished ?
e0b0c612f8c7eb4b120c101c0f6a72dc.jpg
a8bd9d9eccf1e4807cef2d5fc82a8bce.jpg
d99d03df110fff7744e1a589df818539.jpg
a9573e0baf3fd83adee388082ae4166d.jpg

So one of the kids on my little league team has a father that is the regional rep for Orvis, and he invited me out with him and his son for some float fishing on the Roaring Fork River.

I don't get to float fish much, so I was stoked to go, and the water levels have been dropping like a rock so the conditions were perfect. Toss in a strong hatch of yellow sallies and dry/dropper season is on!

We caught lots and lots of fish, and a lot of good sized ones too. The biggest one was this 21" brown. The little dude was having a blast being my net man, and he jumped into the shot with my piggie.

Awesome day on the river!!!

2893483c51d3c4654d20c6cefa733984.jpg
a120a9b611d25bf6b2d866e5d18c3b77.jpg

Pulled quite the accomplishment package today. Shot under par on the back 9, then did some fishing in the river off of the front nine and landed a 20" brownie on a dry fly. Great day!!!
3ef69f6f5cfbb1b35336dca5c7914052.jpg

Had a great night on the river tuesday
95953ccc2a02fb1ea96b24281d9d4288.jpg
8905635519bf4c42258c9671ec0af744.jpg
7a5100f9916c48df492105911865614f.jpg
94bfea87b92ade56d057229e41059984.jpg
7f4e4298f1ddc26f15d9e7047d72af67.jpg
784dea50761cb23460ea7222af4da709.jpg

Lifelong bass fisherman...also bream / shellcracker / catfish, etc...moving to Colorado in the next month and REALLY interested in learning to fly fish.

What is the best way to learn? Take a class? I have no idea where to get started.

Like golf. The best way to start learning is to get out there and do it.
You'll figure out soon enough what interests you and where you need to learn.

Often the easiest way to find a fishing buddy is to go fishing, or share fishing stories. Plus, you will be a better companion once you get some of that hard experience in on your own.
The classes, tying your own flies, gear, etc. will come soon enough if you enjoy it.

Since you have other fishing experience, I don't think you'll take too long to adjust to throwing out the line instead of the lure. Not going to be foreign enough to require a whole bunch of info initially.

The other thing is unlike other fishing, the fly reels are only holding your line. You can spend a ton of money on fancy gear and I enjoy getting back what I've put into it. But don't start out on that route.
Always good to have back up gear down the road.

Last edited:
Lifelong bass fisherman...also bream / shellcracker / catfish, etc...moving to Colorado in the next month and REALLY interested in learning to fly fish.

What is the best way to learn? Take a class? I have no idea where to get started.

Find a local fly shop and start asking questions, most of the folks are pretty nice and will give pointers on casting, flies and other goodies. What part of Colorado are you moving to? I’m out there often and usually bring my rod, maybe we can hook up and talk guitars and fly fishing

Like golf. The best way to start learning is to get out there and do it.
You'll figure out soon enough what interests you and where you need to learn.

Often the easiest way to find a fishing buddy is to go fishing, or share fishing stories. Plus, you will be a better companion once you get some of that hard experience in on your own.
The classes, tying your own flies, gear, etc. will come soon enough if you enjoy it.

Since you have other fishing experience, I don't think you'll take too long to adjust to throwing out the line instead of the lure. Not going to be foreign enough to require a whole bunch of info initially.

The other thing is unlike other fishing, the fly reels are only holding your line. You can spend a ton of money on fancy gear and I enjoy getting back what I've put into it. But don't start out on that route.
Always good to have back up gear down the road.

Very good suggestions. The parallels with golf are true, both are awkward and confusing at first and incredibly rewarding once you get some experience. Good luck.

Find a local fly shop and start asking questions, most of the folks are pretty nice and will give pointers on casting, flies and other goodies. What part of Colorado are you moving to? I’m out there often and usually bring my rod, maybe we can hook up and talk guitars and fly fishing

Denver suburbs, Highlands Ranch

Is this a brook or brown trout?

I envy you and your location. Not much fly trout fishing close by the Las Vegas area. Looking at the pics of the river calmed me down, gorgeous. Play well and fish well.

8905635519bf4c42258c9671ec0af744.jpg

That is a nice fat brown

I flyfish for bass or panfish only. I also tie all my own flies which are usually foam frogs, mice, and cork poppers, various streamers, and foam bugs like beetles and hoppers. I also make ant, worm, and grub flies.

I have been a bass/pan fisherman all my life. I just bought my first fly rod to give it a shot. I would love to go to the Smoky Mountains to do some fly fishing.

Back