Wilson Staff Triton Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As part of 2016 THP Event, Staff Proto with Wilson Staff, each participant that was there will be receiving a brand new Triton, after that driver won Driver vs Driver. This thread will be used as the spot as each of the 8 participants and THPers from around the world that get to try the club out, share their thoughts on the new club.

This is a press release

Wilson Staff launches the world’s most adjustable multi-piece driver featuring two interchangeable sole plates for optimal launch, spin and extraordinary distance. The Wilson Staff Triton combines five elements of technology aimed at providing golfers with a new and exciting driver experience.

The initial concept was introduced by industrial designer Eric Sillies and perfected by the Wilson LABS team over a period of 16 months. The name Triton was selected as it communicates characteristics of power, strength and speed. It also speaks to specific product attributes including the three sole weight ports and the tri-winged shape of the sole plates, which were inspired by the aerodynamic manta ray.

“It was a new, fun experience to work with people and concepts from outside the golf industry, but there were numerous challenges as well. I am extremely proud of the work done by the Wilson LABS team and maybe more importantly, the final quality and performance of the Triton driver. This is truly a world class product,” said Michael Vrska, Wilson Golf’s Global Director of Innovation.

The Triton comes equipped with two interchangeable sole plates – one titanium and one carbon fiber – for significant launch and spin changes. The 22-gram titanium sole plate is optimized for the majority of players who need mid to high launch and low spin while the nine-gram carbon fiber sole plate is geared for players who prefer a more penetrating ball flight and lower spin.

Swing Active Technology, the 1:1 revolutionary crown alignment feature is designed to make hitting the sweet spot intuitive and consistent, improving ball striking for improved accuracy.

Five moveable weights – two, two-gram, two six-gram and one 12 gram – can be placed in 18 unique combinations to fine tune and perfect ball flight. By varying the weight placement in the three sole ports, shot trajectory can be adjusted higher or lower or to help with draws and fades for true customization to complement each player’s swing.

One of the smallest, lightest and easiest to use adjustable hosel systems available, Fast Fit technology makes getting the perfect set-up fast and easy. Just a few turns of the wrench allows easy access to all six hosel settings, including three loft and three draw options.

Headlined by the Aldila Rogue Tour Silver 125 MSI, ten different tour proven shafts are available at no upcharge. From Aldila Rogue to Project X HZRDUS Black and Red to several options from Matrix, the optimal bend profile, feel, launch and spin can be fit to every golfer for maximum distance and fairway finding control.

The Wilson Staff Triton will be available to customize online at DriverVsDriver.com and select retailers on Black Friday, November 25.

Actually was a little sceptical early on but the driver turned out pretty cool. I could definitely see getting fit with a launch monitor though with all the options.

This might be one of the more unique events with this driver being given out. A new fresh design by an industry outsider, winner of what seemed to be a pretty successful show but a stalwart in the business. Pretty cool when you think about everything surrounding this driver.

Pretty darned awesome.

This one looks freaking amazing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the sound of it a lot.

Man, that is a nice looking driver. Lots of nice shaft upgrades for no extra charge as well. I'm really looking forward to the review, and hope that this driver is a huge hit for Wilson.

I actually got caught up on the first two episodes of Driver vs. Driver last night. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, but now I guess I'll watch the remaining episodes knowing that THPers will be putting this one in play.

The timing is damn near perfect too. Released on Black Friday, just days after the winner was announced. Classic strike while the iron is hot.

I can't wait to put this club through its paces this weekend and provide some continuous feedback. Here's hoping FedEx/UPS is running early on Friday!

This is so cool that the #staffproto guys get this right away. Really looking forward to reading your thoughts and seeing some in hand photos.

I can't wait to see the reviews on this. Was a fun show to watch. Well done Wilson Staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digging the look of it and it sounded good when Streels hit it.

Eager to get it in hand and to get rolling in here.

The fact that Streels is adamant it's going into play on tour is huge, imo.

This is the one I was hoping would win, and knowing it'll be in the hands of 8 THPers momentarily is even more awesome. I'm really looking forward to the reviews!!

This product seems to be worthy of its pricetag, which is on the high end for W/S. The shaft choices, multiple weights and soleplates offered - there's a lot to like.

It's a very innovative approach to adjustability. Sincerely hoping this is a hit for them.

I cannot wait to have this bad boy in hand and take some swings. It's cold as heck here right now, but if it's even mildly golfable outside, you can bet I'll be giving it a run anyways!

Eager to get it in hand and to get rolling in here.

The fact that Streels is adamant it's going into play on tour is huge, imo.

HUGE. I'm curious to see when he first uses it - not sure when the next time he plays is.

Crazy that this has the 125 MSI Rogue Silver. That thing was a Tour Only release a year or two ago I think.

Crazy that this has the 125 MSI Rogue Silver. That thing was a Tour Only release a year or two ago I think.

I did a double take when I read that. 2 years ago that shaft was nearly impossible to source and was seen as one of the highest of high end. WS is really making a charge with this club (and their whole line). 2017 will hopefully bring great things for Tim Clarke and co.

THP TV will be with Wilson Staff this Saturday getting some episodes with the winner and on the driver. Expect to see those go up next week. Some fun stuff coming.

I'm not gonna lie, I might be a little concerned it's too much shaft for me. I generally play stiff, which I requested prior to knowing what it was, but I'm guessing this is a pretty freakin stout stiff flex.

THP TV will be with Wilson Staff this Saturday getting some episodes with the winner and on the driver. Expect to see those go up next week. Some fun stuff coming.

That is very cool!

I'm not gonna lie, I might be a little concerned it's too much shaft for me. I generally play stiff, which I requested prior to knowing what it was, but I'm guessing this is a pretty freakin stout stiff flex.

Yeah, knowing the shaft options ahead of time may have influenced my flex decision. I was fit into XS in my Diamana, but may have considered stiff for this (or 6.0 in HZRDUS). Oh well, I'll make it work.

Pretty cool concept and the timing is perfect. Hopefully people get properly fit and open up the potential this one has.

I'm not in the market for a driver, but if I was this one would be at the top to try

So the driver is supposed to be in store today correct? I wonder if Golfsmith has them by me? Might have to make a run over there at lunch.

Back