We have different definitions for apologizing šŸ˜‚. He was ā€œunprofessionalā€ and regrets the words used. Ends with the strangest of statements that the new speeds are somehow related to emotions. Iā€™m sorry, but where is the Iā€™m sorry or I was wrong or I apologize or, idk, Iā€™m dumb?

I'm just quoting an article.

UPDATE: 6:15 p.m. ET ā€” DeChambeau took to social media later on Friday to apologize for his comments.

Seems as though a journalist thinks he 'apologized' :rolleyes:

He's been playing Cobra now for how long? Quite a long time I believe. It seemed to work the past number of tournaments, including the one that he won. :eek: But now it's the R&D's fault because their best efforts are not good enough? He's just an ass that should have just admitted that he had a bad day with the driver ... end of story ;)
If he ever finds a driver that goes long and straight wherever itā€™s hit on the face, I hope he tells me about it šŸ¤£.

We have different definitions for apologizing šŸ˜‚. He was ā€œunprofessionalā€ and regrets the words used. Ends with the strangest of statements that the new speeds are somehow related to emotions. Iā€™m sorry, but where is the Iā€™m sorry or I was wrong or I apologize or, idk, Iā€™m dumb?

Even in the written words, his ā€œapologyā€ comes off as insincere. And rather than focus on the apology, he attempts to justify his behavior.

I'm just quoting an article.

UPDATE: 6:15 p.m. ET ā€” DeChambeau took to social media later on Friday to apologize for his comments.

Seems as though a journalist thinks he 'apologized' :rolleyes:

Ahhh thatā€™s my bad! Oops

Iā€™m curious to see how some people defend him this time. Not at all the first time heā€™s acted like an ass.

I just hate it for Cobra. But it 100% goes in line with another story Iā€™ve heard about Beefcake Bryson from someone in the industry who used to work with him.
I donā€™t think anybody has. Whatā€™s to defend?

I donā€™t think anybody has. Whatā€™s to defend?
Didnā€™t say anyone had yet, but itā€™s been the history, he does something totally douchey, and then there is a rebuttal of him being an easy target or whatever. Itā€™s the history with any discussion on this guy.

If he ever finds a driver that goes long and straight wherever itā€™s hit on the face, I hope he tells me about it šŸ¤£.
Problem with that is he will never be satisfied, not someone like that. He tinkers too much

SUCH a bad look for Bryson. I'm usually pull for him and try to like him, but sometime he makes it so hard. And I'm definitely against him on this one. As so many of you have said its generally the Indian, not the arrow that's at fault.

Growing up and playing sports my dad beat in to me that you, only you are responsible for your performance. Don't blame officials/refs if they blow a call at the end you should have played better all game so it didn't come down to their call. And likewise Its not the glove's fault you dropped a double play. It doesn't sound like that was a message he received while growing up.

Having a difficult round at a location that doesn't fit your game well does not give you the right to $#!t all over one of your sponsors who treats you better than any equipment manufacture has treated a player since Tiger! I know he apologized on IG but that not the same, I assume he'll have a chance to make it right during a post round presser today but the headlines are already made and damage done. I'd love for him to have consequences out of this but I doubt anything will happen.

Just fell bad for the folks that work so hard on that product.

Problem with that is he will never be satisfied, not someone like that. He tinkers too much
I agree. I think it can be a good thing to never be satisfied with your skill set and believe that you can always get better. But to obsess over equipment is unhealthy.

i guess i'm in the minority that i didn't mind the "apology." sure it could have been better, but it didn't bother me as much. yes he has to get in front of a camera with a mea culpa. but he couldn't let everything fester all night long, so this statement was an ok-ish way to address it overnight. one of the worst things he can do today is avoid media like he did at the rocket mortgage when tim quit. be a man, take the questions, and move past it.

the steroid thing falls flat for me. this isn't irrational or aggressive behavior; instead, it seems to be unchecked juvenile immaturity. i worry that he is surrounding himself with people who just tell him how great he is, when he needs a voice of reason in his life. i hope he learns from these challenges and comes out on the other side more mature because i still think he's very good for the game.

Didnā€™t say anyone had yet, but itā€™s been the history, he does something totally douchey, and then there is a rebuttal of him being an easy target or whatever. Itā€™s the history with any discussion on this guy.
I honestly think that is every winning athlete. Think of Tiger, Spieth, Jt, etc. any criticism is met with a defense. This one however doesnā€™t seem to have that, so perhaps in the past it was less defense and more authentic.

unchecked juvenile immaturity

That and his dubious taste in headwear.

i guess i'm in the minority that i didn't mind the "apology." sure it could have been better, but it didn't bother me as much. yes he has to get in front of a camera with a mea culpa. but he couldn't let everything fester all night long, so this statement was an ok-ish way to address it overnight. one of the worst things he can do today is avoid media like he did at the rocket mortgage when tim quit. be a man, take the questions, and move past it.

the steroid thing falls flat for me. this isn't irrational or aggressive behavior; instead, it seems to be unchecked juvenile immaturity. i worry that he is surrounding himself with people who just tell him how great he is, when he needs a voice of reason in his life. i hope he learns from these challenges and comes out on the other side more mature because i still think he's very good for the game.

Honestly, I don't think he could have done much better than the statement he made. He had egg on his face from the statement, and I don't really think anything he did could completely smooth that over.

As to the bolded, I think this is a big part of it - I don't think all the bros hanging out with him in the Tik Tok house are doing anything but telling him he's awesome. Some tough love would go a long way. In my opinion he's gone from "quirky and interesting" to "completely unlikable" in pretty short order. He needs a "handler".

Honestly, I don't think he could have done much better than the statement he made. He had egg on his face from the statement, and I don't really think anything he did could completely smooth that over.

As to the bolded, I think this is a big part of it - I don't think all the bros hanging out with him in the Tik Tok house are doing anything but telling him he's awesome. Some tough love would go a long way. In my opinion he's gone from "quirky and interesting" to "completely unlikable" in pretty short order. He needs a "handler".
Yes re: the bit in bold... the videos of his Iā€™ve watched have had this written all over it. They seem to treat him like some kind of god.

I am a big Bryson supporter, but sorry you just don't do this.

Sure, you may think the driver face is the issue and maybe the club isn't the best for your game. Well, guess what, you signed a contract to be Cobra's spokesperson. You should not be bashing the driver or the manufacturer. You don't like it, then don't take their money. It's not like that one club is the reason you are not playing well and winning tournaments. You should shut your mouth and just say to the media you had a bad day driving and YOU need to do better to compete in the tournament.
I agree @fuffle master . I can't say I was a big BD fan before. Fun watching him hit. But if you swing out of your shoes things might get out of control. You are a Cobra ambassador, suck it up say you had a poor day and then work with Cobra or a coach to resolve or find another sponsor.

I've defended Bryson in the past, and he's one of the guys I usually pull for on Tour. I can't (and wouldn't even try to) make any rational defense for what he did yesterday. He effed up, plain and simple, and there's no excuse for it. Whether he's an easy target, had a bad day out there, whatever - none of that justifies throwing Cobra under the bus like he did. They've more than bent over backwards for him, and I was actually glad to see them step up and publicly call him out afterward. It's a really, really bad look for him.

Just once, I want to hear someone say, "See if you just start it on the right line, you find the fairway" after Koepka hits a tee shot.

Assuming of course he finds a fairway again today...

This is why it's hard to like him.
He's slowly losing me as a fan. I'm not going to toss my hat, as I like the hat, or change how I approach the game, which is similar to BAD's approach in many ways, or give up on the idea of trying OL, but I'm kind of getting to a "meh" place as far as he's concerned. And now to throw his sponsor under the bus? Not good.

It's never him. He's thrown every piece of gear under the bus the last few weeks, even the ball, ...
And "luck." In the U.S. Open it was "bad luck"
shake.gif

... instead of just saying he didn't play well.
Exactly.

Bryson reminds me of Bubba a few years ago. Bubba found a better perspective and I hope Bryson does too. Would like to see him come out and post a number today; the last few weeks have to have been tough on him even if some of it was self inflicted.

Bryson didnā€™t hit a driver on his opening tee shot this morning. He hit the fairway too, (barely)

I guess my biggest criticism of it is that he just released a statement instead of offering a public apology. That was a very, very harsh comment toward the company that has busted their butt for him. The least he could do is get on camera and apologize. Writing an apology is the easy way out.

I guess my biggest criticism of it is that he just released a statement instead of offering a public apology. That was a very, very harsh comment toward the company that has busted their butt for him. The least he could do is get on camera and apologize. Writing an apology is the easy way out.
Yup. He screwed them, hard.

He's childish. Like the Cobra rep said he is playing a 5 degree driver at 200rpm. There is a reason players are going the other way as far as loft is concerned, it's called keeping it in play. Thaat's the physics part the physist brain seems to be ignoring.

Itā€™ll be interesting if when he gets back in front of media post-round if he backs it up verbally.

Reactions: KEV
Back