So, here's the summary of the experience my buddy had, minus the language haha

- They are extremely hot
- Ball jumps off the face especially around the green in the rough
- They have great feel
- They cut through the turf with ease
- Weight is perfect
- Presentation is awesome

They definitely do have a little spice to them greenside.

973A0A46-7CAA-475A-9E40-9DD1E522785A.jpeg35AC7908-FACF-479E-9F95-E46E91120760.jpeg47867A68-2120-4CA0-960C-0368611676A1.jpeg

8EF451AF-70D1-419C-BF39-189F50C0A252.jpeg

Wedge arrived last night. Looks very nice and the custom stamping is super cool. We’ve got our granddaughter this weekend so I won’t have a chance to dial it at the range this weekend so I will YOLO it on the course without practice for my round with Dad Monday.

Thanks THP more thoughts to come after my round Monday.

We wanted you guys to have something fun and Edel Golf thought the stamping would be a great touch. Looking forward to everybody’s thoughts.

Yes sir! Unboxing later then straight to the range. Thanks THP and Edel, this will be some fun reviewing.
F8897DEB-EE24-4CF4-A4BF-209AAA3E9C51.jpeg

Oh baby! Christmas came early this year. One word with Edel.. DETAIL. From the unboxing to the stamping and logo on the club they hit this one out of the park. Can’t wait to see how it performs!

8CB79409-24B5-4829-AD7A-AB3F855C9456.jpeg
5467F5E2-CD3B-4814-951D-8543D0BA90BE.jpeg
9F23A3F6-9D1C-487B-8D19-72227CF25375.jpeg
B362B22F-4A9F-4EF9-8AEA-BAB62C6A11BD.jpeg
02E76A1C-A50A-4610-AF92-D5DE1DB4D4F1.jpeg

The process has begun on getting dialed in!

IMG_1673.jpg

First range session tonight with my Edel 50* V Grind. See details below on the V Grind. I chose it because I definitely have a steeper swing and tend to take big divots.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.50.20 PM.png

I have to say, this first range session tonight was a lot of fun. Having the ability to adjust the weight around in the head had me really excited and it did not disappoint.

Feel: Great feel off the club face, overall pretty standard but nothing clunky and I was definitely all over the club face.

Distances: This was an exciting club to put in the bag for a lot of reasons. My TaylorMade Rsi1 stock iron set gap wedge is one of my worst clubs in the bag. I never have been able to hit it well. I can already tell this club is a game changer. After hitting 50 balls I definitely am dialing in some numbers. As of right now my 100% swing was 130 yards, 75% swing was 110, and my 50-60% was 85 yards. The 130 yard number is definitely a big one for me as I did not have that number before between my pitching wedge and my 54* ZipCore. This fills a very important empty spot in my game.

Adjustable Weighting: The first ten balls I hit I had the weight centered, but it did not last long. I read that for steep angled swingers the weight in the heel would be a major advantage. I shifted the weight to the heel and did not look back. The first couple felt a little different but I got extremely comfortable with it halfway through the bucket. I think when I go out to play next this will be where the weight will be placed and for the foreseeable future. I will come back to the range and try the weight out in the toe as well to see what it does for me.

Grind: As a steep swinger I chose the V grind and I think this was the right choice. Out of the 50 balls, I hit 3 total fat. That is a good ratio for me and I think the medium-high bounce helped me engage with the turf well and led to good results.

I am excited to see what kind of spin results I get both around the green and in live play from longer distances. I will look to get a chipping practice session in this week and then am planning on putting this in play in golf league on Friday!

One thing I'll challenge you guys with, and it's something Koske mentioned quite a bit... Focus less on what the club is doing for you on full swings with the weight adjusted, and more on what it's doing when you're hitting those touch shots.

Hit one at 75%, take a minute to think about it, and then hit another. See if you notice the club slotting just a touch better or worse for you depending on the location.

I had the SMS wedges back in play this weekend for both my rounds. There's an awful lot of good that will be said about their responsiveness, sound, and presentation, as well as weighting. It really is a great package.

On Sunday, I played my best round of the year, and relied heavily on them to get the job done down the stretch, not only from the fairway but also from the greenside rough/fairway, and they performed admirably.

I hit greenside wedge shots on my low point of the round (13-14-15) and they resulted in two pars and a birdie, 100% scramble town. On the birdie, I was sort of short sided with the bean portion of the green sticking out between me and the hole. I hit a pretty gentle pitch from an upslope fairway lie that carried to within about a foot of what I wanted, and rolled out to kick in. Basically the perfect condition. The big highlight though was on #10. From 110 yards, I landed my 58* just in front and left of the hole, it one hopped, zipped back a bit, and dropped to the bottom of the cup.

There's just a lot of confidence built in, and I really like that I can swing freely with an open face around the green without fearing a loss of groove out by the toe. It's critical for me being that I play only to the 58* loft and need the ability to open it up.

Now I just need to decide what gets stamped on these beauts.

I had the SMS wedges back in play this weekend for both my rounds. There's an awful lot of good that will be said about their responsiveness, sound, and presentation, as well as weighting. It really is a great package.

On Sunday, I played my best round of the year, and relied heavily on them to get the job done down the stretch, not only from the fairway but also from the greenside rough/fairway, and they performed admirably.

I hit greenside wedge shots on my low point of the round (13-14-15) and they resulted in two pars and a birdie, 100% scramble town. On the birdie, I was sort of short sided with the bean portion of the green sticking out between me and the hole. I hit a pretty gentle pitch from an upslope fairway lie that carried to within about a foot of what I wanted, and rolled out to kick in. Basically the perfect condition. The big highlight though was on #10. From 110 yards, I landed my 58* just in front and left of the hole, it one hopped, zipped back a bit, and dropped to the bottom of the cup.

There's just a lot of confidence built in, and I really like that I can swing freely with an open face around the green without fearing a loss of groove out by the toe. It's critical for me being that I play only to the 58* loft and need the ability to open it up.

Now I just need to decide what gets stamped on these beauts.

Well after that draino from 110 you should probably get “automatic” stamped on there. That is totally awesome, nice job and great feedback.

One thing I'll challenge you guys with, and it's something Koske mentioned quite a bit... Focus less on what the club is doing for you on full swings with the weight adjusted, and more on what it's doing when you're hitting those touch shots.

Hit one at 75%, take a minute to think about it, and then hit another. See if you notice the club slotting just a touch better or worse for you depending on the location.

90% of my shots with this club will be 75% or less. Will be reporting back tomorrow.

39AA4E09-CB76-4434-A4E4-8DC0401DF9CC.jpeg
It finally quit raining so I got a chance to get out to the range today. I went to the one a little further down the road because they have Trackman and I wanted to dial distances. Full swings got me around 70 yds and half swings at 40-50 yds.
F54772DE-EC64-4A98-90FA-4775DA69DA49.png
0ECF3102-0EA4-4819-9C8F-4B29DE900D19.png

Then I took it to the practice green and chipped 100 balls from 5, 10, 20 yds out.

The difference between this Edel and the SW I’ve been using as part of my dads old set is incredible to say the least. I had no idea I was capable of spinning a ball like I am with Adele. Chips were checking up quite a bit which was a huge adjustment for my first couple dozen shots. Near the end I started understanding the rollout a little better and dialed in. I didn’t hole any but lipped out a few and left several more within inches.

I think I’m in love with Adele. I can’t thank THP enough for giving me an opportunity to get to know her. More thoughts to come as our relationship develops. We have a date at the club tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 728AD1A8-E1F9-4053-9A28-5B147F95B629.png
    728AD1A8-E1F9-4053-9A28-5B147F95B629.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 9025508
It finally quit raining so I got a chance to get out to the range today. I went to the one a little further down the road because they have Trackman and I wanted to dial distances. Full swings got me around 70 yds and half swings at 40-50 yds.
View attachment 9025513
View attachment 9025515

Then I took it to the practice green and chipped 100 balls from 5, 10, 20 yds out.

The difference between this Edel and the SW I’ve been using as part of my dads old set is incredible to say the least. I had no idea I was capable of spinning a ball like I am with Adele. Chips were checking up quite a bit which was a huge adjustment for my first couple dozen shots. Near the end I started understanding the rollout a little better and dialed in. I didn’t hole any but lipped out a few and left several more within inches.

I think I’m in love with Adele. I can’t thank THP enough for giving me an opportunity to get to know her. More thoughts to come as our relationship develops. We have a date at the club tomorrow morning.

Sounds like a game changer for you already. That is awesome. What is the SW in your dads old set?

15 yard chip shot session with my favorite caddie this evening. Kept the weight in the heel, and liked it. Very pure, flush feeling all over the club face and I was throwing darts. Best was 3 in a row into the target.
19A8DB92-796D-4087-8D03-B4F2C81BD48D.jpeg
22BB0DBD-ADB9-4EFD-A1B7-0A4215956FBF.jpeg

We’re gonna do some wedge testing tonight too

4E36937D-EC48-4C6E-9174-1165EB21C3D3.jpeg

I have now had my 58 degree C grind out a few times. I mainly use the club from 90 yards and in and it is my primary club arounds the greens. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Look and Feel (in my hands)
Great looking head. Little less rounded off which I really like. It almost has more of an iron look to it than your traditional rounded wedge. I noticed instantly after picking it up that the head had a very nice weight to it. Normally I put a strip or two of lead tape on my wedges, but it was not needed with the Edel.

Feel (the face)
Pitch/85% Shots - There is nothing like the feel of a great wedge. I am a golfer who prefers that buttery sensation off the face, and the Edel provides just that on center hits. Obviously it was a little clunky on bottom groove shots, and slightly clicky off the heel and toe.

Chip shots - The feeling off the face on chips shots has been slightly different than what I am used to with my SM8. I read a few comments in this thread that the ball really comes off the face around the green. I too am getting that feel. It is not my favorite as I don't like to think about having to control that pop. That said, its not a bad feeling at all, just different. Even on chips where I catch it a little inside or off the toe the ball still comes off with that pop. Though I may not like that feeling 100%, it does have its benefits (mentioned below).

Weighting
I have a pretty neutral swing type, so I did not go in thinking move the heavy weight to the heel or toe would benefit me one way or another. I have hit about 150-200, 60-70 yards pitch shots with the club and moving the weights definitely makes a difference. The differences are pretty subtle and I am still working through them, but they are for sure there. So far I have found that moving the weight to the heel of them club is my least favorite position. I feel like I have to fight the club from grabbing and turning over. Keeping the weight on the toe has allowed me to feel like I can really be aggressive through impact.

Performance
In my mind the SM8 is nearly the perfect wedge, and so far the Edel has been right there with it. I am generating similar or more spin than my SM8. My normal 75 yard shots were taking one bounce and spinning back about a foot. Even on bottom board shots the spin is still there. I have found the Edel really shines in the 50-70 yard range and on longer chip shots because of the variety of shots that can be played with ease. The C grind is very versatile which is exactly what I was looking for. Name the type of shot and it can be played with this club. This is what really has me excited! On longer chip shots, I have noticed that even when I miss the center of that face on chips, the ball seems to pop off. Normally this type of contact would lead to leaving the shot short, but this has not been the case with the Edel.

That's all I have for now. More to come as I keep getting comfortable with it!

Last edited:
Back