Are Golfers too Obsessed with Looks?

I think this is as basic as it gets. If you don't have an initial 'comfort level with a club' then your success rate with the club may be limited. Especially if you don't hit it well to begin with then your mind will pretty much take over and give you a mental block towards that club

look good, feel good, play good. That's how I feel about most things and golf is in that mix, though not always holding up to the play good part. If I feel confident in how I (the clubs) look then my mind will be in a better place compared to something that looks ugly in my hand... I just already put myself in a bad place mentally. I'm also a mentalist and approach things with that aspect first. I teach high school kids how to drum, and if they think they're not prepared, they're right. Confidence comes from many places, appearance is high on that list.

I know it's easy to get trapped into that, but I'm done with it. The one set of irons that I absolutely didn't want to like in terms of looks, name, offset, and shaft are one of my favorites. In fact, I'm hoping that nobody else gives them a fair chance so I can play them at the outing hehe. In the end, I'm swinging the club and trying to hit the ball. My swing doesn't care what a club looks like.

I don't think so, people like what they like and it's an individual thing. Who cares what they carry or why they carry it?

You have got to play what works best for you, if you think a club is ugly but you begin to score with it, I guarantee it will begin to look much better to you.

I thought the Machspeed irons were fugly and I couldn't have used them even if they knocked 5 shots off my handicap!

If I can't look down at them without a negative thought about looks they don't go in my bag. They have to be pleasing to the eye before I will ever pick it up. Just like a woman you have to be able to look at them and not cringe before you get to know them. :D

If I can't look down at them without a negative thought about looks they don't go in my bag. They have to be pleasing to the eye before I will ever pick it up. Just like a woman you have to be able to look at them and not cringe before you get to know them. :D

exactly lol

Something about that thing is mesmerizing.

Yes, many people are too concerned about looks, social credit, and playing a one brand bag. Still, it's there bag and I don't care as long as they don't say something stupid about it.

Maybe it is just me but when I see someone that isn't obviously a PGA pro with a matching bag full of woods and irons I automatically think newbie. Maybe not fair but it always looks that way to me.

Maybe it is just me but when I see someone that isn't obviously a PGA pro with a matching bag full of woods and irons I automatically think newbie. Maybe not fair but it always looks that way to me.

I don't know. I just handed some money to a guy Saturday in my skins game that took me to the cleaners and he is gaming Callaway X-12 irons with graphite shafts and a full set of Steelhead III woods. I think he shot 73.

You see it quite a bit around here too and most of those folks aren't newbies as much as they are fanboys in my opinion. Most will say that it's just a coincidence, but I truly believe that a badge on the back of a club can make it go farther, feel better, and be more accurate ;)

As long as its ________ and not _________!!!!!!!

^ Insert fanboys and haters brands here ^
You see it quite a bit around here too and most of those folks aren't newbies as much as they are fanboys in my opinion. Most will say that it's just a coincidence, but I truly believe that a badge on the back of a club can make it go farther, feel better, and be more accurate ;)

Let me say that I think brand loyalty can be a good thing. At the same time, it seems that a name can make magical things happen with a golf club.

As long as its ________ and not _________!!!!!!!

^ Insert fanboys and haters brands here ^

its funny because its true!

I will play anything that fits my game and allows me to score better. I don't care too much about color schemes, top lines, badging, what others think when they club in my bag, etc. It's all about what works best for me and fits in my budget.

For the most part, no. But I will be honest, I do look for clubs that have a more "classic" look to them, but I am not afraid to play something that I don't particularly love the looks of, as long as it improves my game!

While I appreciate some of the beautiful classic clubs and there simple clean lines, I have never chosen my clubs by looks, until my last two sets I bought what the local pro suggested fit me. Of the last two I considered one set ugly but bought them thinking they would improve my game, they didn't so bought my current set which are nearly a perfect match to the last set my former local pro sold me after fitting me. If you paired me up with three strangers at the end of 18 holes I'm betting I could not tell you what brand/model of clubs they played. But could tell you some of the great shots they made through out the round. Looks are so over rated I've seen some ugly beat up clubs in the hands of a good player tear a course apart. I would love to bag a beautiful set of classic blades but that day will never happen as I will never posses the skill to wield them effectively, I grew up when blades were the only option and I never wish to return to stinging hands.

Golfers are and should be concerned with the looks of their clubs. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Slight spin off, but are the same concerns had with people who don't like to see their clubs get chatter on them?

It's not a quality characteristic that will change the club functionality, but it drives me absolutely crazy.

I think we all care about what the clubs look like, whether we like to admit or not. On all the THP reviews there is a section mainly dealing with the looks of the product (first impressions). Its a factor, and one that the manufacturer dedicates a lot of time and money to improving. I dont see that as a bad thing.

Golfers are and should be concerned with the looks of their clubs. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Just curious but why is that? Why would someone who really has no interest in what their clubs look like have to care? That is actually a very subjective and superficial aspect of golf, and not really a part of it for me. If I have a club that is beat up and has been re-shafted a couple of times that I can hit 270 off the deck on a long par 5 and be putting for eagle should I put it away and not use it? Nobody would ever mistake that club for new or pretty but is that really important? It isn't to me. Now making that eagle putt, that is important.

I hit Titleist Drivers really well but I will never own one. I can't stand the way they feel at impact. Same with their irons. No bueno. I like my clubs to look good at address as well. I hit blades and catch hell all the time for it. Never will understand that. I had a guy this weekend point at my clubs on the first tee and make comments to his buddies. Ticked me off. Told him to put his money where his mouth is. Long story short, his 88 lost lost about $50 to my 74. Who cares what anyone else is hitting? Use what you want to use for whatever reason and quit worrying about others.

Just curious but why is that? Why would someone who really has no interest in what their clubs look like have to care? That is actually a very subjective and superficial aspect of golf, and not really a part of it for me. If I have a club that is beat up and has been re-shafted a couple of times that I can hit 270 off the deck on a long par 5 and be putting for eagle should I put it away and not use it? Nobody would ever mistake that club for new or pretty but is that really important? It isn't to me. Now making that eagle putt, that is important.

I'm not saying that you are going to put away the beat up club because it's old or ugly. But you still care about the club. That is more of my point, is that we as golfers care what clubs we are using. "Looks" mean a lot of different things to a lot of people, but we as golfers are all very picky.

To anybody who says, "I would play a brick at the end of a stick if it went straight everytime." as a defense to that, I think you are still being picky. Maybe not about looks, but you are being picky about something.

I'm picky about everything. Especially my nose.

Back