New Release: Callaway Apex UW

I'll check it later this week, but I believe it might be. The launch and spin combination at least, is definitely a higher spinnier looking flight, that I can't do all the things I did with this even on the front 9 today. It's more bell. Less flat at the top. But this seemed to have enough spin to control, and also get up.

View attachment 9034373

This shot today with the UW is another example. With my 18* hybrid, I wouldn't have tried that shot. I would have played left of it. And with my 5W I could take that line, but I would hand it over to the elements more. It would drift at the peak. That thing was solid. I was able to shape one with it against a right wind to land and stop on an upper fairway today at 240, generally work out like I said, but flatten it out too. I leaned on a draw off a right wind off the tee for 309 today. That would have actually been a problem on a split fairway, but it was impressive none-the-less. My fairway wants to just get up and go regardless of what I want a little more.

It's early, and only one outing. Impressions are bound to change. I'm not easy to impress like that though. It did really well.

Do you think you could flight the UW down a bit if needed? I have a 9W right now for the gap between 5i and 5W but it is tough to flight down. I do like the trajectory and stopping power.

Oh and how do you have one already. I was just on the Callaway website and it says they don’t ship until Thursday.

Do you think you could flight the UW down a bit if needed? I have a 9W right now for the gap between 5i and 5W but it is tough to flight down. I do like the trajectory and stopping power.

Oh and how do you have one already. I was just on the Callaway website and it says they don’t ship until Thursday.
I have been able to work it high and low pretty easily. That's what I've really enjoyed about it yesterday and today. I can fly them and land them pretty soft at a consistent distance, or lean on it into the wind or to run with very little effort so far.

I get my hands on some stuff a little early is all.

Oh, and going real well with it again today. Spoiler alert: Keeping it. 👍

I have been able to work it high and low pretty easily. That's what I've really enjoyed about it yesterday and today. I can fly them and land them pretty soft at a consistent distance, or lean on it into the wind or to run with very little effort so far.

I get my hands on some stuff a little early is all.
I wish that I could strike the ball even half as well as you can describe striking it. Cool that you found something so pleasing.

I am going to blame @OldandStiff for this. If it works, I will give him credit. 😂. I had enough rewards points with Callaway that I could pick up one of these for about 15 bucks, cashing in the rewards. So, even though I wonder whether this is a good fit, I keep struggling to find that perfect fit for that 5 wood-type slot and I am going to give it a shot. It is basically a free club, no? It was the description of flighting it and the flatter apex in the flight that got me.

Hey, if it doesn’t work, maybe we will pass it around the forum for folks to try out.

I am going to blame @OldandStiff for this. If it works, I will give him credit. 😂. I had enough rewards points with Callaway that I could pick up one of these for about 15 bucks, cashing in the rewards. So, even though I wonder whether this is a good fit, I keep struggling to find that perfect fit for that 5 wood-type slot and I am going to give it a shot. It is basically a free club, no? It was the description of flighting it and the flatter apex in the flight that got me.

Hey, if it doesn’t work, maybe we will pass it around the forum for folks to try out.

Which loft and what shaft you go with?

You can send it my way to try. Or even better we finally get out and get a round in.

I thought we blamed the clubs if/when things didn't work out around here, not each other?!

Which loft and what shaft you go with?
17 degree, Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 stiff (6.0). Total stock setup. That shaft just works for me. It is what I am currently using in my fwys.

You can send it my way to try. Or even better we finally get out and get a round in.
You are on, either way. I was just thinking about it yesterday. I posted about getting a Utah group together and we never did. My bad.

I thought we blamed the clubs if/when things didn't work out around here, not each other?!

I blamed you for seducing me into the purchase, not for the club’s performance. I will still give you credit if it works well. It would be awesome to take it to Florida in November for the THP experience, where Jason Finley will be present. I can only do it if it works and then, of course, you get credit. 😂

Like so many in this thread, I have played around with that 16/17* - 22/23* section of the bag forever. Even though it is a one trick pony for me, the OG Super Hybrid (20 turned down to 19) is cemented in the bag. I use it as a driving iron because with the low spin, it does not launch much for me.

To complement that though, I needed something I could use from the fairway and even OK lies in the rough. To that end, I now have a Hy-Wood which I really like. Then I go to a 21* hybrid. I really had to think carefully about the shots I needed to fill those spots. I only wish this UW was out so I could have compared it head to head with the Hy-Wood.

I blamed you for seducing me into the purchase, not for the club’s performance. I will still give you credit if it works well. It would be awesome to take it to Florida in November for the THP experience, where Jason Finley will be present. I can only do it if it works and then, of course, you get credit. 😂
I'm totally on board with that. I need me some Finley credit! :p

I hope it works great for you. I didn't realize the stock shaft was one you already play. I'm really excited for you to get your hands on it now! For $15 I don't know how you can go wrong.

I'm totally on board with that. I need me some Finley credit! :p

I hope it works great for you. I didn't realize the stock shaft was one you already play. I'm really excited for you to get your hands on it now! For $15 I don't know how you can go wrong.
Actually less than $15, but who’s counting. It actually is great now that Callaway lets you redeem rewards points on any equipment. It used to be that there was a selection of stuff, most of which did not interest me. These points were building over a few years.

D05EEB8D-0638-443C-AAA8-7D79710A77A4.jpeg

These are for @Tenputt , just so he can feel good about his purchase. :p

Used it a bunch on the front, but not many fairway chances on that course for me, and it's a bit of a draw course.

Played a straight shot up the right expecting a decent right wind to move it back. It didn't. (!) Looked like it got a good bounce, 282y.
Wanted to use it again, but was blocked so punched almost straight left. Then hit the second one in the vid trying to hold against that right breeze a bit. 268, and loved that flight. Tried to get it up with a big draw and low spin to maximize distance on the next into a 475y par 4 dogleg with a hurting right wind, 272 leaving me a 6i in. Worked it R-L on the next up the hill into the dogleg, and it finished dead center fairway 268. And I didn't get all of that one. Last one I wanted to really drive it over the valley a bit, and it was 290 into the uphill on a line.

Worked a cut up against the wind on #6 to perfect position, but it's a bad background on the vid. 253, didn't climb, maybe moved 4/5 yards right into the wind and landed exactly where I wanted it.
Screenshot_20211012-195041_Video Player.jpgThose were the kind of shots that were really handy from the fairway yesterday.

It wants to go pretty straight for me, but I can move it with ease and really control how it comes down pretty well if I do my part. I don't know if long term I'll go for the 17 or 19 but it's proved it's value to me in a very short time. Love that it'll get up without spinning up for me, and work both ways.

Last edited:

These are for @Tenputt , just so he can feel good about his purchase. :p

Used it a bunch on the front, but not many fairway chances on that course for me, and it's a bit of a draw course.

Played a straight shot up the right expecting a decent right wind to move it back. It didn't. Looked like it got a good bounce, 282y.
Wanted to use it again, but was blocked so punched almost straight left. Then hit the second one in the vid trying to hold against that right breeze a bit. 268, and loved that flight. Tried to get it up with a big draw and low spin to maximize distance on the next into a 475y par 4 dogleg with a hurting right wind, 272 leaving me a 6i in. Worked it R-L on the next up the hill into the dogleg, and it finished dead center fairway 268. And I didn't get all of that one. Last one I wanted to really drive it over the valley a bit, and it was 290 into the uphill on a line.

Worked a cut up against the wind on #6 to perfect position, but it's a bad background on the vid. 253, didn't climb, maybe moved 4/5 yards right into the wind and landed exactly where I wanted it. Those were the kind of shots that were really handy from the fairway yesterday.

It wants to go pretty straight for me, but I can move it with ease and really control how it comes down pretty well if I do my part. I don't know if long term I'll go for the 17 or 19 but it's proved it's value to me in a very short time. Love that it'll get up without spinning up for me, and work both ways.

Those are beautiful ball flights. The “without spinning up,” catches my attention.

i put a 19* in my cart...not sure how it would fit with my 16.5* 3W, tho...i'd be interested to see how it compares to my 17* super hybrito as well...all this typing is steering me away from the cart.

Love reading the reviews.. the more I'm in here the more I'm confident this will fill the 5 wood spot in my bag

Buddy messaged me and told me to check it out. "Thomas loved it! Said he might play the 17 like you do as his fairway."

I might get a chance to watch it on my way to the course. He and I live in similar number ranges so I'm usually interested in how he gets on with a club.

edit: I think he plays TCBs too

I imagine @OldandStiff looks EXACTLY like this after his rounds of golf. He walks into the club house and walks out looking like this. Earing and all.

Good in the wind ✅

Left to right when needed ✅

Long ✅

👍

The UW with Ventus Red 8X looks sooooooo filthy.

Goodness I would love that setup.

wish Callaway would take Honmas for trade ins...... : (

Back