New Release: Callaway Apex UW

This was the first swing. The ball flight was perfect. I am on the course now. More later. 0FFC3DB8-007D-4FA2-82CD-F94AAE05C72B.jpeg

I am stuck in one of those Saturday 5 hour rounds. I hit this club 3 times on the front 9. I will add more this evening, but it is doing everything I could have hoped.

Bought the 19, but super tempted to nab a 21 as well.

Really interested to see how you fit this in your setups. Going off 2ndswings video it cam chase down a 3 wood.
So the question is do you replace 3 wood with a 17 UW or keep 3 wood and get a 19 UW.

This club has be considering getting rid of my 3 wood and 7 wood and getting the 17.

Really interested to see how you fit this in your setups. Going off 2ndswings video it cam chase down a 3 wood.
So the question is do you replace 3 wood with a 17 UW or keep 3 wood and get a 19 UW.
I think That’s the question. I’m afraid it would break the top of my bag.

I think That’s the question. I’m afraid it would break the top of my bag.

I a feeling that a little as I consider this club. It is cool. May be worth it but it would take some retooling.

I a feeling that a little as I consider this club. It is cool. May be worth it but it would take some retooling.
Yeah, and honestly I shouldn’t touch the top of my bag, it’s just too good for me.

This is why I didn't know which one I'd end up in. The 17* has been amazing, but a 271 average in what's mostly been soft and windy conditions, probably loses some overall versatility for me. The 19* might offer more in the end.

At the same time, I have gone after some par 5's I don't normally even try because that is a crazy controllable 271, so the club does play. More than I would have thought.

So yeah, I'm sure I'll have both for the long term, for different courses/setups. Great.. 😕

Last edited:
Mine is already broken...so looking for the perfect solution including a UW.
I think you should pull the trigger (so I can live vicariously :LOL: )

Ok, let’s talk about this club from the perspective of somebody with more modest swing speed. First, a disclosure… I had mentioned in the thread that I picked up the 17* through Callaway with reward points. The club cost me $10, basically. When the club arrived yesterday, I looked at it in person, compared its shape to some other clubs in my collection and swung it in my backyard, not hitting any balls. I started to feel like it might really work for me, so, I went down to my local store. The sales guy didn’t even know what they were, but I looked in the hybrid section and found a 21*. I traded some stuff in and walked out, paying about $125. So, I now had the 17* and the 21*.

I have been working hard on over speed training. I had a long TrackMan Session Thursday evening and I have been in some other intensive workouts, so I woke up feeling old and stiff (not to be confused with @OldandStiff). Nevertheless, I went to the range before my round. I brought my 5 wood and hybrid that would have otherwise been in the slots of these new UWs, in case I couldn’t hit them. They were in the car as safety valves for my round. However, after warming up with a few wedges and 7 irons, I tried the 21*. The strike was pretty centered and the ball flight was just gorgeous. I posted a pic of the face after that very first ball strike. I hit a couple more with the same result. The flight was just dead on straight through the window that I wanted to see. I moved to the 17*. Again, the ball flight looked wonderful, this time with a little draw. The ball elevated fine, but then had a fairly flat apex. Neither club seemed demanding. Off to the course I went for my round.

I ended up using one or the other of these on 6 holes. Cumulatively, I was one under on those 6 holes, with these clubs playing a major role. I had one bad shot, which was a worm burner on a second shot into a par 5, obviously a me problem. However, all five other shots, four with the 17* and one with the 21*, the ball flight was exactly what I saw on the range.

Three shots are notable. One hole on this course is a very uphill par 4, about 315 yards. There is trouble and and a huge bunker guarding the green and another large bunker about 90 yards out from the green, so the smart play is a 225-ish tee ball to the fairway, leaving an 85 to 100 yard approach to the hole. I used the 17* off the tee and it worked out perfectly. See the screenshot attached. The second example was a par 5. I was about 250 out after my tee ball. There is a throat into the green with trouble around, so it is tough for me to lash a 3 wood at it. I pulled the 17* and hit a great 235-ish yard second shot, leaving me with a little pitch into the green. I left myself a 3 foot kick in par. See the screenshot attached. The third example was with the 21*. The hole pretty much forces a layup because of a pond about 260 yards from the tee box. However, laying up still leaves you around 200 yards to center green, so it is a tough hole. I had a little wind into my face. I pulled the 21* and once again, I saw that high straight ball flight. The ball stopped pin high and I got my two putt par.

I believe that the 21* will end up filling my 205 yard slot and the 17* will be a 230 to 235 yard club. It is not a 3 wood replacement for me, but it certainly is a 5 wood replacement that seems, based on initial impressions, to be an incredible club for that 5 wood slot.

Sound and feel: Others may disagree and I am going from memory, but the sound and feel of this club are very similar to the Mavrik Pro hybrid. In fact, the impression came to me that it seemed like I was hitting a Mavrick Pro hybrid that was bulged out and on steroids. It is a much better club for me than the Mavrik Pro, though.

I apologize for the long post, but since this is a new release, I wanted to provide some thorough feedback and thoughts from the perspective of somebody who cannot bash this thing 275 yards. I hope it is helpful.

E3F75A77-F334-4198-8627-BB7D9B1809BD.jpegA2A0C939-1092-45D8-9DE0-62A4DCC23B1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, let’s talk about this club from the perspective of somebody with more modest swing speed. First, a disclosure… I had mentioned in the thread that I picked up the 17* through Callaway with reward points. The club cost me $10, basically. When the club arrived yesterday, I looked at it in person, compared its shape to some other clubs in my collection and swung it in my backyard, not hitting any balls. I started to feel like it might really work for me, so, I went down to my local store. The sales guy didn’t even know what they were, but I looked in the hybrid section and found a 21*. I traded some stuff in and walked out, paying about $125. So, I now had the 17* and the 21*.

I have been working hard on over speed training. I had a long TrackMan Session Thursday evening and I have been in some other intensive workouts, so I woke up feeling old and stiff (not to be confused with @OldandStiff). Nevertheless, I went to the range before my round. I brought my 5 wood and hybrid that would have otherwise been in the slots of these new UWs, in case I couldn’t hit them. They were in the care as safety valves for my round. However, after warming up with a few wedges and 7 irons, I tried the 21*. The strike was pretty centered and the ball flight was just gorgeous. I posted a pic of the face after that very first ball strike. I hit a couple more with the same result. The flight was just dead on straight through the window that I wanted to see. I moved to the 17*. Again, the ball flight looked wonderful, this time with a little draw. The ball elevated fine, but then had a fairly flat apex. Neither club seemed demanding. Off to the course I went for my round.

I ended up using one or the other of these on 6 holes. Cumulatively, I was one under on those 6 holes, with these clubs playing a major role. I had one bad shot, which was a worm burner on a second shot into a par 5, obviously a me problem. However, all five other shots, four with the 17* and one with the 21*, the ball flight was exactly what I saw on the range.

Three shots are notable. One hole on this course is a very uphill par 4, about 315 yards. There is trouble and and a huge bunker guarding the green and another large bunker about 90 yards out from the green, so the smart play is a 225-ish tee ball to the fairway, leaving an 85 to 100 yard approach to the hole. I used the 17* off the tee and it worked out perfectly. See the screenshot attached. The second example was a par 5. I was about 250 out after my tee ball. There is a throat into the green with trouble around, so it is tough for me to lash a 3 wood at it. I pulled the 17* and hit a great 235-ish yard second shot, leaving me with a little pitch into the green. I left myself a 3 foot kick in par. See the screenshot attached. The third example was with the 21*. The hole pretty much forces a layup because of a pond about 260 yards from the tee box. However, laying up still leaves you around 200 yards to center green, so it is a tough hole. I had a little wind into my face. I pulled the 21* and once again, I saw that high straight ball flight. The ball stopped pin high and I got my two putt par.

I believe that the 21* will end up filling my 205 yard slot and the 17* will be a 230 to 235 yard club. It is not a 3 wood replacement for me, but it certainly is a 5 wood replacement that seem, based on initial impressions, to be an incredible club for that 5 wood slot.

Sound and feel: Others may disagree and I am going from memory, but the sound and feel of this club is very similar to the Mavrik Pro hybrid. In fact, the impression came to me that it seemed like I was hitting a Mavrick Pro hybrid that was bulged out and on steroids.

I apologize for the long post, but since this is a new release, I wanted to provide some thorough feedback and thoughts from the perspective of somebody who cannot bash this thing 275 yards. I hope it is helpful.

View attachment 9035763View attachment 9035764
Awesome stuff Craig!!

I was chuckling as I read the Mavrik Pro part, because I was talking with a buddy about that the other day. I keep saying I swear this reminds me of my mav pro 2H a little, and I've looked at a couple stores for one to see how bad my memory actually is. Lol Something about the shape, even though this one is rounder reminded me of it. Maybe it's just that the Mav pro was made to look a little more like a FW on top. Crown similarity maybe..

Anyway, sounds like a killer first outing!!

Last edited:
PSA: tip size is apparently .335

Really going to be interesting to see where the UW, the fairway woods, the super hybrid and the 'normal' hybrids end in the bags of the Grandaddy guys. I know this one has me rethinking some stuff.
I've got about $700 in credit in our club pro shop from placing in MGA's (well, have is my wife's, she'd done as well or better than me in the ladies competitions :cool: ). I was thinking of either Super hybrid or the Apex UW.... haven't been able to try either yet.

I've got about $700 in credit in our club pro shop from placing in MGA's (well, have is my wife's, she'd done as well or better than me in the ladies competitions :cool: ). I was thinking of either Super hybrid or the Apex UW.... haven't been able to try either yet.
Having tried both the Super Hybrid and this, I can say unequivocally that this profile is a much better fit for me.

Here is my setup with the UW:

Driver
3 wood
17* UW
21* UW
5 iron through the rest of the bag.

Here is my setup with the UW:

Driver
3 wood
17* UW
21* UW
5 iron through the rest of the bag.
Interesting. I think i need to hit them all. I was looking at 19 UW to replace my Tsi2 hybrid, but it may be too long. May look at 17 UW to replace my 3HL wood instead and keep the Tsi2 hybrid.
My current setup is:
Driver 9 dg
3HL 16.5dg 265yd
3Hy 19dg 230yd
4iron 22dg 210yd

Interesting. I think i need to hit them all. I was looking at 19 UW to replace my Tsi2 hybrid, but it may be too long. May look at 17 UW to replace my 3HL wood instead and keep the Tsi2 hybrid.
My current setup is:
Driver 9 dg
3HL 16.5dg 265yd
3Hy 19dg 230yd
4iron 22dg 210yd
That is some great gapping. What would you hope the UW to do that you aren’t getting now?

Back