Forging ahead on tour with new irons

wburdett

Reaction score
Handicap
4.9 ghin
Seems a shift is on to playing forged clubs as more top club makers get into forged business. Even ping has some sweet forge clubs and this is from the king of Cast.

Good article from golf digest and quote from Miura about forging.

Been a lot of debate about cast vs forge but science is now meshing with the art which is making some awesome clubs.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2011-05/golf-johnson-equipment-0502

Marketing is a heck of a thing in todays golf world. :alien:

Maybe soon someone (the golfing world) will get lucky and Vokey wedges will be forged...

I think Ping had to go this direction. You build what people want in some cases. I still feel the debate is alive and well in the world of cast vs. forged and I know I really can't "feel" the difference. The bottom line is if you think you feel the difference, and one or the other gives you confidence, then that is the direction you should go.

Marketing is a heck of a thing in todays golf world. :alien:

Maybe soon someone (the golfing world) will get lucky and Vokey wedges will be forged...

Wouldn't that cause those "spin milled" grooves to dull more quickly and become less spinny over a shorter period of time? :banghead:
*Sarcasm*

Last edited:
Thats a good point wedges out of that soft metal wouldn't last a year and very small market as most golfers don't buy equipment every year. I'm one of those guys. Some buy wedges every year but that's a small market.

Thats a good point wedges out of that soft metal wouldn't last a year and very small market as most golfers don't buy equipment every year. I'm one of those guys. Some buy wedges every year but that's a small market.

Really confused...MANY MANY companies forge their wedges. And Vokey wedges are made with very soft metal.

Wouldn't that cause those "spin milled" grooves to dull more quickly and become less spinny over a shorter period of time? :banghead:

Depends on what metal they forge with.

Depends on what metal they forge with.

Perhaps I should have stated that I was being sarcastic.

I thought that I had been seeing a lot more cast offerings on tour lately. That could also be because I really wasn't paying that much attention to what was in people's bags.

Is this trend because the forging processes are allowing OEMs to design clubs that previously could only be created with a casting process?

Last edited:
A major reason why Ping got into making forged irons was for the Japanese market. In Japan people look down their noses at cast clubs.
As for the whole, "if Vokeys were cast" debate/arguement: softness comes from the kind of metal that is used. Whether you forge or cast a clubhead has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how soft it feels.

Wonder if the dude from Muira has heard of vacuum casting? His sand in a jar metaphor is stupid.

The biggest and only advantage forged has over cast is its flexibility. They can easily grow with you if your swing changes. Some cast clubs are extremely hard to bend after the fact.

Wonder if the dude from Muira has heard of vacuum casting? His sand in a jar metaphor is stupid.

I admit to being a bit flumoxed that he said such a thing. For a guy that really knows his way around how clubs are built, that was a terrible comment.

I admit to being a bit flumoxed that he said such a thing. For a guy that really knows his way around how clubs are built, that was a terrible comment.

It just sounded like a comment that he knew was going in Golf Digest. So that all the suckers who read it would believe in it, just like their hot list. It was an odd comment, and it was a really poor metaphor.

I'm having a hard time hitting fades. It can't be my swing so it must be my cast clubs. I need me some forged buttery flat hosel goodness

I'm having a hard time hitting fades. It can't be my swing so it must be my cast clubs. I need me some forged buttery flat hosel goodness

Forged Di11's is the answer.

i have had both, and cant really tell the difference, but i havent hit the mizunos yet so....

Isn't Westwood still playing some i10s?

I think Ping had to go this direction. You build what people want in some cases. I still feel the debate is alive and well in the world of cast vs. forged and I know I really can't "feel" the difference. The bottom line is if you think you feel the difference, and one or the other gives you confidence, then that is the direction you should go.

Can you imagine if ping had brought out ping i2 forged. They may have been #1 in club making today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back