Reasonably Priced Furniture

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a move and I am pretty much only taking my bed with me. I know there are places to get extremely discounted furniture, but I don't know where those places are. No need to spend too much for this stuff when a future wife will want to get rid of it ya know? Any advice will be appreciated.

Craigslist!

Also, check furniture stores for slightly damaged furniture. They may have a return or something is scratched a bit for a bunch less.

What she said, thrift stores or Big Lots if you have one there. Furnished my nephews entire apartment for under $500 there

I've found that Ikea has really reasonable prices on furniture, and while it might not be the greatest quality, it actually looks really nice..

We buy a lot of stuff at IKEA because it is real wood and sturdy, but comparably inexpensive...of course it does have to be assembled.

Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely look at CraigsList and Ikea. I don't mind assembling stuff at all.

Go yard sale'ing Seth. It's a lot of fun and you can find some stuff for super cheap. Someone's junk is someone else's treasure.

Ikea is a great store, i've got a number of things from them and no complaints yet. I'd also look into the scratch and dent section at bigger furniture stores. Sometimes you'd be surprised at what they consider "blemished" furniture. A small scuff or tear on the back of the couch really wouldnt bother me, I would probably do the same thing within a week of having brand new furniture anyways.

We have tried online purchases in the past, but shipping wrecks the internet's lower prices. As said before, Craigslist can be gold for this sort of thing.

Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely look at CraigsList and Ikea. I don't mind assembling stuff at all.

haha yeah dude, me either, so long as I pick it out!!

The wife brought home a couple boxes when the Ikea near us first opened and was like.. "Here ya go, build these" ....was not impressed haha!

Another thing to check out is antique stores and flea markets. There are great bargains there too.

Craigslist!

Another vote for Craigslist. We got a leather recliner couch for 40 bucks 3 years ago that we are still using. As soon as Charlie grows up (he's part lab, so it's going to take until he is two years old!) we will replace it, as I've had to make some repairs on the back of it since we got him!

Better make friends with the neighbor with the pickup too Seth to haul this stuff home. Even better if it's a pretty girl. hehehe

I vote Ikea and say no to craigslist..something about used furniture from a total stranger creeps me out.

I would honestly ask friends/coworkers if they know anyone needing to get rid of a couch, table, TV. You'd be surprised how many people have extra couches or just upgraded their furniture but never got around to getting rid of the old stuff.

Not sure if there is one near you but Bob's Furniture has decent prices...IMHO Lower end stuff but good enough.

I vote Ikea and say no to craigslist..something about used furniture from a total stranger creeps me out.

I would honestly ask friends/coworkers if they know anyone needing to get rid of a couch, table, TV. You'd be surprised how many people have extra couches or just upgraded their furniture but never got around to getting rid of the old stuff.

Not sure if there is one near you but Bob's Furniture has decent prices...IMHO Lower end stuff but good enough.

Nothing creepy about it at all. The only thing I will always buy new is a bed set. Well, the mattress and box springs anyway, I'd buy the frame from someone, stranger or not, if the price was right.

And isn't buying from someone someone knows, still buying from a stranger?

Same here. As for Ikea, if for an apartment, then yes. Townhouse and bigger, then no. Also, someone mentioned Ikea and wood. Most of the wood is not of great, or even good, quality. But if you know going in you'll be getting rid of the stuff, then it's not bad. The best quality wood, IMO, from Ikea is Leksvik. Don't know if they sell it anyone more, but we put it our sons room when he was born. Nine years later and it still holds up.

Also, if Ikea is the choice, buy a cordless drill. You don't want to be using a screw driver.

Ikea has nice stuff for the price, big lots has good deals on decent furniture at times. Plenty of others have mentioned Ikea, I'll throw out another good option if you can find one. An estate sale, a lot of the times you can get some really great deals. My sister picked up an entire solid cherry dining room set (tabe, 8 chairs, sideboard) for $200.

Nothing creepy about it at all. The only thing I will always buy new is a bed set. Well, the mattress and box springs anyway, I'd buy the frame from someone, stranger or not, if the price was right.

And isn't buying from someone someone knows, still buying from a stranger?

:D you got me...but if it's a friend of a friend than it is ok by me...having someone to vouch for them I guess makes a difference for me.

Most towns have used furniture stores. Thats what I do and I end up with real wood furniture. I wont use particle board if I have a choice.

:D you got me...but if it's a friend of a friend than it is ok by me...having someone to vouch for them I guess makes a difference for me.

You don't know what went on on that vouched for couch

true...just buy from Ikea.

in college we had a couch that had things done on it that were illegal in 38 states and immoral in all 50. There was even a litter of puppies born on it from a stray one of my roommates brought home. We sold it to the sophomores who took over the apartment when we graduated

in college we had a couch that had things done on it that were illegal in 38 states and immoral in all 50. There was even a litter of puppies born on it from a stray one of my roommates brought home. We sold it to the sophomores who took over the apartment when we graduated

I'm still doing things illegal in 38 states and immoral all over my couch.

Back