Adams Redline Iron & Hybrid Set Preview

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Fresh from the 2011 THP Demo Days, the Adams Redline iron set is in Illinois for an official THP review.

This set consists of 2 Redline Super Hybrids (3 & 4) and irons (5 - PW). There are a few different set options, including either 1,2, or 3 hybrids. I've played these over three rounds and 2 range sessions so far. Let me know if you have any questions.

Irons

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

Hybrids

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

Nice! T2 shafts as well eh? How do you like that shaft buddy?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

• Staff
Nice! T2 shafts as well eh? How do you like that shaft buddy?

So far, I honestly can't say that I love it. I need a bit more time with it to get a better grasp on it, though. However, I'm loving the iron shaft right now.

So far, I honestly can't say that I love it. I need a bit more time with it to get a better grasp on it, though. However, I'm loving the iron shaft right now.

What shaft is in the irons?

• Staff
It's a no namer. Redline Performance 85 - Steel, They seem bulkier at the butt section and I can't really figure out a shaft to compare them to. Performance wise, they keep up with my slow swing just fine. High ball flight, but no ballooning. I was hitting them straight into the wind today and was pleasantly surprised.

How long are they compared to say the 2.0`s, S3`s or Di11`s?

Sweet! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these.

S3's - Redlines are Longer
Di11's - Similar
2.0's - Similar
CG16's - Similar

Personally, I've never hit a longer iron regularly. Coming from the S3's, I am hitting a club less into the green. I hit them against the 2.0 (6iron) and CG16's today and they were spot on or slightly longer on clean shots.

Last edited:
I hit their 6i and 4h at a demo day and was really impressed, the iron especially.

I have some of these coming soon. Leaning toward not getting the included hybrids. I am starting the set at 6I and my highest hybrid is at 22* so I need to do something. Thought about getting the 5I, but I usually avoid hitting the 5I in my current set. Vanity had me in another set of irons.

Anything redeeming to the hybrids I am missing? Since they are Super Blacks, it seems to be love, hate, or just meh.

I really liked the Redline irons at the Demo Day. A bit muted but I couldn't miss with them.

Those are on my short list of new irons, I'm hoping to replace my complete set by end of summer. Really trying to decide if I should go SGI or just GI.

I hit these a week ago at an Adams demo day. I went there to bet fit for some CB2s and ended up also getting a fitting for the Redlines. I don't like the look much, but I did like the feel and the way I hit them. The concept of a distance iron (with jacked up lofts) bothers me a lot, but if I hit them well I figure what the heck. I'm interested in a 4I through GW set, no hybrids. The hybrids didn't impress me, and I have an old A2 20* 3H that I hope lasts a lifetime.

I'm looking at ordering some very soon, so any results from your testing would be greatly appreciated. Do you like the feel? Are you able to work them a little bit? I like to be able to hit a draw when I need to, which I can do with my current set--I'm wondering if that'll get much harder with these (my swing wasn't so sweet on demo day, so this was hard to test). How are they out of the rough? Basically, I'm desperate to find an independent review of the Redlines.

Edit: Another question--does that plastic insert in the cavity seem like something that will crack, and eventually fall out or break, with repeated use? In general, how durable do these irons seem?

Cheers

Last edited:
These were excellent irons when I hit them at the demo day. Didnt really care for the hybrid's size but it still performed. Plus you gotta love a SGI hybrid coming with such a nice shaft. Even though no one seems to care for it haha

Good luck with the review Hawk. I wasn't overly impressed with these at demo day but I'm looking forward to your long term thoughts on these

I hit these a week ago at an Adams demo day. I went there to bet fit for some CB2s and ended up also getting a fitting for the Redlines. I don't like the look much, but I did like the feel and the way I hit them. The concept of a distance iron (with jacked up lofts) bothers me a lot, but if I hit them well I figure what the heck. I'm interested in a 4I through GW set, no hybrids. The hybrids didn't impress me, and I have an old A2 20* 3H that I hope lasts a lifetime.

I'm looking at ordering some very soon, so any results from your testing would be greatly appreciated. Do you like the feel? Are you able to work them a little bit? I like to be able to hit a draw when I need to, which I can do with my current set--I'm wondering if that'll get much harder with these (my swing wasn't so sweet on demo day, so this was hard to test). How are they out of the rough? Basically, I'm desperate to find an independent review of the Redlines.

Cheers

First of all, welcome to THP! Secondly, we also have a thread with some pretty good information on the 2011 Adams line here.

The feel/sound of this set struck me as very different when I first hit them, but I honestly don't notice it any more. I don't see any reason why you couldn't draw the ball with them. Keep posted and I'll update some thoughts leading up to the review.

Thanks, Hawk. I've been following that other thread (and actually posted on it the other day). I noticed the different feel and sound (or non-sound), but once I saw the ball flight I was able to get used to that quickly. Looking forward to your review.

As I've learned, honeymoon posts are always a dangerous thing, but I'm going to say that I really, really like these irons so far. I think the feel aspect is something that is more apparent when you hit them at first and some may love it, some may not. Personally, I could care less. They are soft sounding and I can still tell if I miss, but there is no harshness whatsoever that I've noticed so far. Distance and ballflight are just awesome.

I love hearing that Hawk! I thought these things were pretty sweet myself, I can't wait to hear more.

Biggsy must be hitting these.

Yea, definitely not me. However, I've added a reliable 10 yards to my 7iron and it's been quite helpful.

I really liked the Redline irons at the Demo Day. A bit muted but I couldn't miss with them.

Kind of my thoughts as well, I just can't help but think the badge/gel in the cavity soaks up all the feel. I'm sure the razr will get us some excellent info.

--
tapatalk

Back