Best/Worst thing(s) about your home course?

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
For my course the best part would be that it's only a ten minute drive away and nothing really else it's just a good place to beat the ball around.

For the worst is that in the summer the bugs really pick up and the greens are just gone, they get hard and are just not fun to play at all can't get any backspin even on a 60* wedge

What about yours?

Best-- The greens, for the most part, are outstanding. Just straight up excellent for what I am paying.
Worst-- The fairways, while in mostly good shape, have spots of hardpan. Also, renting a cart will set you back 15 bucks. ouch.

The fact that I dont have one... :(

Best-- The greens, for the most part, are outstanding. Just straight up excellent for what I am paying.
Worst-- The fairways, while in mostly good shape, have spots of hardpan. Also, renting a cart will set you back 15 bucks. ouch.

From what I've heard, that is a lot for a golf course in the states!
Up here though, they're closer to $20 so don't feel too bad!

From what I've heard, that is a lot for a golf course in the states!
Up here though, they're closer to $20 so don't feel too bad!

Yeah, that sucks. I have started walking. Walked 9 today to start off. Lugging my Ogio up hills sucks, lol.

Best:
It's 3/4 mile from my office. :egyptian:
The staff and I are on first name basis.
It hosts two HUGE local tournaments each year so it's generally in pretty good condition.
If I'm hitting well or the wind is favorable, I can drive two of the par 4s.
I get a hug from the cart girl every time I see her. :shame:
Worst:
The multitude of foursomes on weekend mornings that slow up the entire course and cause immense problems. They A) walk, B) go to each ball and watch instead of going to their own balls and readying up, C) read the green from 43 different angles and then miss a 4 footer, D) are playing for mere dollars and act like it's the PGA Championship, and E) NEVER look back to see how many people are lined up waiting.

Oh yeah, we have not cart (not that I would partake of the alcohol). In fact, I have never seen a drink cart.

It's close, less than ten minutes away. And I get to play for free (wife works there)!

The worst thing is that it is an established course. With an established course you have trees. Lots and lots of trees. Big, tall trees.

It's close, less than ten minutes away. And I get to play for free (wife works there)!

The worst thing is that it is an established course. With an established course you have trees. Lots and lots of trees. Big, tall trees.

Thats how my new course is. BBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGG trees. In the 100 foot range.

best - Price...$40 gets to 18 holes and it gets cheaper as the day goes on.
worst - Price...everyone and their momma plays there because it's cheap. The more difficult of the two 18 hole courses is so backed up it's not even a joke when I say you should bring a chair for the tee boxes.

I play the Ole Miss course. The fairways are in awesome shape and the price isn't too bad. The worse part about it is the greens are all elevated (I like playing downhill), they allow 5-somes on the weekend, and there are a TON of annoying frat guys out there all the time.

Worst: Old folks and members that think they own the place which play in groups larger than 5 that won't let others play through. It's getting harder to play as a single after work and fly through 18 in little over 2 hours.

Best: Best Pro in the Area. Cheap price and close to my house.

My home course is Bethpage state park. So you know it is the one of the best public course in the country. The best part is the price for such a top notch course, especially for NY residents. However the price also lead to its worst, really slooooooow pace for a round. It is so affordable that almost every hacker, duffer and beginner all go there to have fun. Yesterday It just looks like a ladies day in the park and all courses filled with woman who only hit the ball less than 50 yards at a time.

Many THPers will find out the best and worst parts when they come to the 2012 outing.
Held at GG & I's home course of Grand Cypress.

My home course is Bethpage state park. So you know it is the one of the best public course in the country. The best part is the price for such a top notch course, especially for NY residents. However the price also lead to its worst, really slooooooow pace for a round. It is so affordable that almost every hacker, duffer and beginner all go there to have fun. Yesterday It just looks like a ladies day in the park and all courses filled with woman who only hit the ball less than 50 yards at a time.

I'm trying to go up there sometime this summer actually just have to pick a date and go and get the details on everything of when I go.

Best: Membership is $80 a month.
Golf Course is kept in great shape.

Worst: $2.25 longnecks at the bar. (Luckily you can bring your own cooler full of beverages)

Best - There are two courses. Each course is within walking distance. Not a full golf member of the country club, so I pay a discount rate of $40 on the big course (7100 yards) and $18 on the little one (4200 yards). I'm within a ten minute drive of at least 5 other courses and a practice facility.

Worst - I had to join the practice facility. Club rules state only full golf memberships are allowed to use the club's practice facilities on days one is not playing a round of golf. I.e., you can warm up before your round, but general practice is not allowed. I've always found this rule to be counterproductive to enticing lower level club members to become full golf members.

The best feature of my home course is the layout. It's not a very long course, but plays longer than the actual yardage due to several holes playing up hill.
Upkeep of the course was it's main drawback till just a few years ago when the club hired a new greens keeper. Despite a limited budget, he's make significant strides in bettering the course conditions.
The absolute worst feature of the course is the very, very, very, very poor cart paths. Almost all the paths are asphalt. Over the years they have buckled and crumbled to the point that most people avoid them and drive on the grass.

Worst: Old folks and members that think they own the place which play in groups larger than 5 that won't let others play through. It's getting harder to play as a single after work and fly through 18 in little over 2 hours.

Best: Best Pro in the Area. Cheap price and close to my house.

I play the same course. One other con: No range.
Pro: In good shape!

Best- Price and being able to walk on within an hour of just showing up as a single, usually.
Worst- I've been grouped with some real oddballs lately, not their playing ability.

PS: I can play with most, but have been grouped with some guys with zero etiquette lately.

Last edited:
Best: They hire from UCF (University of Central Florida) and sometimes I see the women's team play their practice rounds there.
Worst: Sometimes they grow the rough like it's the US Open. I've lost balls in the rough by a green there (TC can attest to that).

Best part about my course is the layout - very challenging with no two holes the same.

Worst is that it's located 45 miles from my house and it's open to public play. Also, the course was designed and built by a regular joe, so the grounds crew have their hands full with maintaining good/great playing conditions during rainy/hot/dry periods. They have added tons of drainage, and a new well, so hopefully conditions will hold up.

Best: Membership is $80 a month.
Golf Course is kept in great shape.

Worst: $2.25 longnecks at the bar. (Luckily you can bring your own cooler full of beverages)

$2.25 beers would be quite welcomed in my neck of the woods!

Best: It is really affordable and forces you to use almost every club in your bag almost every round
Worst: The condition is not always great, partially because they overseed the greens with rye in the winter, and the bermuda gets choked out making the greens patchy and bumpy early on in the season. They did just hire a new head groundskeeper, and he says he is not going to over seed this winter, but we will see.

Back