Golftec fitting experience.....good and bad.

burmbuster

Reaction score
Handicap
OK. So I traveled 3.5 hours to Golftec for a fitting. My son and I arrived about 30 minutes early so we got a chance to hit a few balls with demo clubs that Golfsmith had available. Thank goodness this Golftec was inside of a Golfsmith but more on that later.
I went in at the correct time and met with the instructor, Scott, who was really nice and professional. He had me hit a few balls with a seven iron. His first words were "wow, 88 mph 7 iron". So right off the bat he tells me I need to be using Precision Rifle 6.0 shafts.
He then shows me a few things in my stance which was a complete eye opener. The two main things being my stance width and being too close to the ball.
He then asked if I hit a driver and I replied "no, I can't seem to hit it anymore." He said, "no way, its all in your head and in the shaft".
He then proceeded to hand me a Titelist driver in a RIP 6.0
I swung it one time and "BOOM", 290 yards at 108 mph swing speed with a lie 10 yards left of the fairway center. UNBELIEVEABLE. So that was the driver teaser for me to keep on my mind. Now I am thinking of drivers.
Next was the lie board. I was using a 6 iron blade with a rifle 6.0 shaft and 3 degree up lie. I addressed the ball as I normaly do and crushed it after two swings. (Different club weight had me screwed up for a few swings) The results were a perfect match, BUT its not were I want to be. Once I back up from the ball and have the proper address this will change so we have me as needing a standard lie.
Now, as we are going along through this process, he is giving me a few tips and showing me my swing and stance compared to others which was nice. But this next part is confusing to me.
So I ask about club length and he asks how tall I am. I tell him 5'9". He says he is 5'10" and uses a 1/2" shorter club and our swing speeds are almost identical so he rites down the length to be - 1/2". No measuring.
He also rites down the 5 iron to be 37 1/2" with 61 degrees of loft.
So now I know what I need and we discuss club selection. Now keep in mind that I demo'd quite a few in the store right before we got started. And then I had a few more that I hadnt hit but really wanted to hit.
I told him I would like to narrow my choices down to 3 or 4 irons and make a discision from there. His response was, "the club choice is totaly up to you. It's what ever you want." Really? so we walk out into the store and he asks what clubs I am considering. This was my list:
Callaway Razr X Tour
Callaway Diablo Forged
Ping I15
Adams CB2
Taylormade TP CB's
He makes a few suggestions as in, forget about the Ping, Taylormade, and Adams. You need to go with a forged iron (which the Razr X Tour is not) so he suggests the Razr X Tour Forged. Wow. Now thats a steep club to step into. He said they dont have any irons in the stiffness I need so theres no since in hitting them for spin and so forth. Really? This was both disappointing and confusing based on what I have read on here from other peoples experience but what do I know?
So the following is what I thought about each club after hitting several balls, several times each.
Razr X Tour Forged- When you hit it perfect, you know it. But I certainly was no where near where I needed to be with this club. Beautiful club but my game isnt there yet.

Razr X Tour- Crushed it. Alot. Great feel and well balanced. The club head is almost identical to the Diablo Forged in shape.

Diablo Forged- I hit this club identically with the Razr X Tour. Crushed it again and again. It had a little more offset than the Razr X Tour and the look is not exactly me but I hit it really well.

Taylormade TP CB- Total waist of my time. Very disappointed in this club. Not that it isnt a great club. Its beautiful and I really, really wanted this to be the one but I just wasnt nearly as consistant with it as I was with the others. I even spent more time on this club than any other. Toward the end, I adjusted a few things and hit it well but it didnt come to me like a few of the others.

Ping I15- This is a club I wish I would have spent more time on. I hit it really well. It had good feel and seemed to have a good balance of workability and forgiveness. Plus the price just dropped to $599.

Adams CB2- Crushed it. I really liked this club. The balance and feel were as good as the Callaways if not a little better. This one was neck and neck with the Razr X Tour and the Diablo.

The club I still havent hit and plan to before I make my decision is the Srixon Z Star irons.

So, now I am still looking for a way to tell which club fits me the best. I really wish we had a good pro shop with these sets to demo on a range instead of hitting off of a mat.

Oh and one other thing. He listed Precision Rifle 6.0 on a paper for me but listed a Project X 6.0 on my internet file. Whats the difference and do I need to get him to clarify which one?

So thats my experience. I learned quite a bit but I am still left with alot of questions when it comes to club choice. Was a 7 hour drive worth it? Not sure.

I'm a little surprised at the irons you are considering, given your index? As far as your fitting goes, there is lots of info in your post and I'm really not sure what to make of some of it to be honest. I never buy anything totally based on monitor readings. I want to see the results, so hitting them outside for me is a must. I know this is not always possible for many, but for me there is no other way.

I'm very interested to see what some others here have to say about your fitting experience.

Where is Satsuma, AL? I have got to figure there is a clubfitter somewhere close to you. I am guessing you went to Birmingham to visit a GolfSmith, but I would figure you have to be close to someone. I agree with HG, your write up is very thorough but it also raises red flags as far as what you were told. I think you need to investigate much more before putting down your hard earned cash.

I'm a little surprised at the irons you are considering, given your index? As far as your fitting goes, there is lots of info in your post and I'm really not sure what to make of some of it to be honest. I never buy anything totally based on monitor readings. I want to see the results, so hitting them outside for me is a must. I know this is not always possible for many, but for me there is no other way.

I'm very interested to see what some others here have to say about your fitting experience.

Hi, Hoosier. A little back ground on me. I was once a really decent player. I am now getting back into the game and have developed some bad habits along the way and suffered memory loss on alot of little things.
My club selection had alot to do with the fact that I cannot hit a club with a wide sole and these are the ones I tried before and after the fitting. I dont care for the weight of a wide sole club.
I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about my experience. The instructor, Scott, seemed really well knowledged and if I lived closer I would definitely take a few lessons from him. That being said, it still left me with alot of questions. I agree, you have to see what happens on a range, but you have to start somewhere.
So fire away with the questions. I will answer them and I need a few answers myself.

I would print this out and go to the store manager and ask for your money back. That is not a good fitting at all. That quite honestly is one of the worst fitting stories I've ever read

I know this was a thread about you having a club fitting, but the Callaway website says that you can get a Driver/Iron fitting done down at TimberCreek in Daphne. My thinking is that would probably be done on the outdoor range, and since two of the sets you liked the best were Callaway, I thought it might be worth mentioning. With them doing the fitting, they may have demo clubs, or at least let you borrow one of their fitting clubs to try on the range.

For future reference, it looks like they had a big multi-vendor demo day there back in March. If it is an annual thing, may be something to keep in mind for the future.

Where is Satsuma, AL? I have got to figure there is a clubfitter somewhere close to you. I am guessing you went to Birmingham to visit a GolfSmith, but I would figure you have to be close to someone. I agree with HG, your write up is very thorough but it also raises red flags as far as what you were told. I think you need to investigate much more before putting down your hard earned cash.

Suburb of Mobile

Mobile County. The nearest and only real golf outlet close to me is an Edwin Watts. I thought about calling them and setting up an appointment for fitting there as well. Or possibly checking with a few of the larger courses around to see what their pro shop offers. At least they have a range if they stock the fitting carts.

THP Demo Day would be your perfect scenario.

I've been thinking about a fitting at GolfTec and your post makes me wonder about it. I am baffled by his choice of clubs for you based on your handicap, I would have expected something in the GI area.

Right now I am really thinking I am saving my cash to go to the new Taylormade Performance Lab at Redstone in Houston.

I would print this out and go to the store manager and ask for your money back. That is not a good fitting at all. That quite honestly is one of the worst fitting stories I've ever read

Na. I don't want to start anything ugly. I received what I believe is some good info considering I had none to start with and he did take the time to correct a few things in my swing.

I know this was a thread about you having a club fitting, but the Callaway website says that you can get a Driver/Iron fitting done down at TimberCreek in Daphne. My thinking is that would probably be done on the outdoor range, and since two of the sets you liked the best were Callaway, I thought it might be worth mentioning. With them doing the fitting, they may have demo clubs, or at least let you borrow one of their fitting clubs to try on the range.

For future reference, it looks like they had a big multi-vendor demo day there back in March. If it is an annual thing, may be something to keep in mind for the future.

Thanks, Ad. I will definetly be giving them a call.

Thanks, Ad. I will definetly be giving them a call.

If TimberCreek doesn't work for you, it also said Quail Creek down in Fairhope did Driver/Iron fittings for Callaway. I lived down in Fairhope for a couple years which is why I keep jumping into your threads about the area.

I've been racking my brain about other places in south Alabama, but I'm striking out on anywhere that is an outdoor range/pro shop combo. Another thought could be asking the pro somewhere like Magnolia Grove if he/she knows of anywhere that would enable to do what you're looking for.

If TimberCreek doesn't work for you, it also said Quail Creek down in Fairhope did Driver/Iron fittings for Callaway. I lived down in Fairhope for a couple years which is why I keep jumping into your threads about the area.

I've been racking my brain about other places in south Alabama, but I'm striking out on anywhere that is an outdoor range/pro shop combo. Another thought could be asking the pro somewhere like Magnolia Grove if he/she knows of anywhere that would enable to do what you're looking for.

Thats good to know, AD. Not to get off topic, and I don't know how long ago you were here, but the golf is still the same with regards to courses except they closed the Linksman (Old St. Andrews). Good to know you were once a neighbor!

Thats good to know, AD. Not to get off topic, and I don't know how long ago you were here, but the golf is still the same with regards to courses except they closed the Linksman (Old St. Andrews). Good to know you were once a neighbor!

Yeah, I think they closed it when I was there...never played it. I was there from 2004-2006 before moving up here to SE Tennessee. Drove through Satsuma everyday because I worked up in McIntosh.

Yeah, I think they closed it when I was there...never played it. I was there from 2004-2006 before moving up here to SE Tennessee. Drove through Satsuma everyday because I worked up in McIntosh.

Let me guess.....Olin Chemical.

That does not sound like a good fitting to me. I've read a lot about fittings, and to me this just comes off as a guy in a rush trying to get you out the door!
Putting a high handicap player on forged irons is not really ideal from what I read, and from what I play (my forged irons are hard! I can play with them, but it's far from ideal)
Sounds like a lot was done wrong.

Man, I have a fitting scheduled at golfTEC thursday morning. I am extremely nervous now after reading this. I am almost considering cancelling my appointment even though I have been waiting 3 weeks.

I booked it there cause of their technology, but man if they are just trying to sell the most expensive clubs without regard for the actual players skill, thats a big no no in my book. Im sorry to the OP but if your a 20+ handicap you should not be hitting forged clubs.

Sounds to me like this salesman was only thinking about making a big fat comission on some forged irons.....

Spot on!

THP Demo Day would be your perfect scenario.

Again, spot on!

Man, I have a fitting scheduled at golfTEC thursday morning. I am extremely nervous now after reading this. I am almost considering cancelling my appointment even though I have been waiting 3 weeks.

I booked it there cause of their technology, but man if they are just trying to sell the most expensive clubs without regard for the actual players skill, thats a big no no in my book. Im sorry to the OP but if your a 20+ handicap you should not be hitting forged clubs.

Yeah, and the more I think about my little experience, the more pissed off I'm getting. $99.00 fee on top of 10 hrs of my time and $70.00 in fuel. Now I will end up having to pay someone else localy to make sure everything is correct.

Yeah, and the more I think about my little experience, the more pissed off I'm getting. $99.00 fee on top of 10 hrs of my time and $70.00 in fuel. Now I will end up having to pay someone else localy to make sure everything is correct.

credit card dispute time!

Back