Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
pondering new irons....my heart tells me go for it, my wife and my checking account say no

There is some great discussion about the Callaway and TaylorMade irons around THP... You won't hear much about Titleist around here though. (at least anything positive haha)

Any reason why you wouldn't go for the Burner 2.0s after playing the original burners?

Thanks for the reply. You know i was just not too crazy with the original irons. I don't know if it is the crazy lofts that it plays with or the added length, i also think that if i were to get those i would probably change the shafts which would be another cost. So of the other ones i named seem to be more customizable.

There is some great discussion about the Callaway and TaylorMade irons around THP... You won't hear much about Titleist around here though. (at least anything positive haha)

Any reason why you wouldn't go for the Burner 2.0s after playing the original burners?

I strongly disagree with that statement. Look at the love for the 910 drivers in their lengthy thread. Look at the love for the golf ball. Look at the THP Review of the AP1 irons last year.
They have not had new irons come out in quite some time, so there is not a lot of "fresh" talk on them as of late, but I would not say you would not hear much.

I strongly disagree with that statement. Look at the love for the 910 drivers in their lengthy thread. Look at the love for the golf ball. Look at the THP Review of the AP1 irons last year.
They have not had new irons come out in quite some time, so there is not a lot of "fresh" talk on them as of late, but I would not say you would not hear much.

I agree, the 910 line is fantastic and seems to get allot of love

That's fair. I was trying to say something else and did a terrible job portraying it. Titleist certainly has love on THP, but I've never been on a site with members so open to companies that are focused on the consumer, not just the top player. I think that projects a lot when people discuss the different brands they would recommend. Maybe the buzz will come back when they bring out a new set of irons!

That's just my opinion though. Sorry for misleading you crsimao!

pondering new irons....my heart tells me go for it, my wife and my checking account say no

The new Burner 2.0s? I didn't see many demos at your club the other day.. They have anything you can hit?

Does anyone know how the burner 2.0s stack up against the ping raptures? I gained almost a full club with the raptures and wonder if there's more out there.

I'm not 100% sure Thain. I actually liked the Raptures and I'm not a huge Ping fan at times :)

I'm pondering GS-75 Shafts, like yesterday. They say the flex is S200 for a stiff and I got a chance to hit these in some other irons yesterday (Some Macgregor from Golfsmith). I'm in love. As light as graphite and they felt fantastic. I found a deal where I could get them for $10 a shaft and might just pounce. I'm just wondering if the soft tip might not be what I need? Is that where hard stepping would come in? Or just leave it be? So many questions!

Pondering a couple things. First off, the Redline irons. Hit them a bit over the weekend and came away pretty impressed. Hybrids are poop though. But the irons.... we're talking serious pondering.

Next is the SL290 driver. I'm hitting my new fairway so well, I'm wondering if the driver will be similar. Right now I'm hitting the FL longer than my driver. SuperTri feels like swinging a brick right now.... not sure why.

Pondering a couple things. First off, the Redline irons. Hit them a bit over the weekend and came away pretty impressed. Hybrids are poop though. But the irons.... we're talking serious pondering.

Next is the SL290 driver. I'm hitting my new fairway so well, I'm wondering if the driver will be similar. Right now I'm hitting the FL longer than my driver. SuperTri feels like swinging a brick right now.... not sure why.

I really liked the 290 and I think much of that had to do with the fact that I liked the shaft so much. They are the same (43) I believe. Definitely check it out.

The new Burner 2.0s? I didn't see many demos at your club the other day.. They have anything you can hit?

club doesnt have crap to hit. The 2.0's are one of the few Ive actually hit this year, and they were solid in the very little hitting I did with them.

What irons are you pondering?

Havent dug deep into it yet, When I was looking at Drivers I did get to hit the new Burner 2.0's and they were solid. Them and a few Callaways were the only ones I had time to hit, if I get serious about it, I'll obviously "try" to get a proper fitting and test out as many as I can. Otherwise I'll wait for Orlando 2012 and hopefully set some money aside for when I come back to buy some

I really liked the 290 and I think much of that had to do with the fact that I liked the shaft so much. They are the same (43) I believe. Definitely check it out.

They are the same, that's why I'm so interested in it. JB said my current setup is ideal for me though, so I'm not too sure. I'll have to go hit it and see what kind of numbers it gives me. If it's a monster like the FL, the SuperTri might have to go.

Looking at getting a total overhaul on my clubs, going to replace almost everything except my driver and wedges.
3 wood is a toss up between the Superfast 2.0s and the Adams speedline F11
Irons is between the Burner 2.0 combo set and the Callaway Razrs
For putter I really like the Corza Ghost, what do you think of yours 9-Iron Man?

Leaning more towards the Taylormade stuff, really like their recent stuff.

There is something wrong with me...

I want new irons - nothing wrong with the current ones.
I want to put together used irons as in buy heads and shafts seperate - again nothing wrong with the current set.
I wonder if I should get a 5h or reshaft my 2h only because I love the 3h/4h accuracy (I feel like the ball listens to me with those clubs) but wouldn't mind getting a tad more distance off the tee box.

Someone (besides the woman) remind me that I can't afford any of this right now LOL

Looking at getting a total overhaul on my clubs, going to replace almost everything except my driver and wedges.
3 wood is a toss up between the Superfast 2.0s and the Adams speedline F11
Irons is between the Burner 2.0 combo set and the Callaway Razrs
For putter I really like the Corza Ghost, what do you think of yours 9-Iron Man?

Leaning more towards the Taylormade stuff, really like their recent stuff.

The Corza Ghost is the best putter I've ever rolled. It's working so well for me. It's the 2010 model so it has the AGSI+ insert. The looks are stellar and it performs for me, can't argue with that. If you're in the market for a putter, I'd definately reccommend trying the Corza out. The new Pure Roll insert in the 2011 models may be even better than the AGSI+. Give 'er a try!

I tried one out in the proshop of my home course and loved it, it just felt great. After seeing the new Ghost Spider that Jason Day was rolling with at the US Open I really want to try one of those out before making a final decision.

I tried one out in the proshop of my home course and loved it, it just felt great. After seeing the new Ghost Spider that Jason Day was rolling with at the US Open I really want to try one of those out before making a final decision.

There's definately a lot of options in the Ghost line so you'll be bound to find the perfect putter for you if you are wanting to stay within TalyorMade.

Reading THP is making me re-evaluate my entire set. I know I need to get fitted and learn more about my swings before making any purchases. I think if I can tackle the putter and wedges this year that would be a good start. Then keep my eyes and ears about various drivers and irons for next year.

My plan:
1) Wedges - Test w/ DG spinners
2) Putter - Get fitted for flatstick
3) Go through comprehensive fitting
4) Driver - Find ideal shaft and maybe something w/ higher loft
5) Irons - Find ideal shaft and look at combo sets. Maybe swap out 3i/4i/5i for hybrid.

Has anyone gone through and changed out all their equipment recently? Would like to hear how you approached it and what worked and didn't work.

I changed out all of mine this year. First time ever.
From that list I would say a THP Outing should be #1....You can figure it all out there.

Has anyone gone through and changed out all their equipment recently? Would like to hear how you approached it and what worked and didn't work.

I say do it progressively and concentrate on the areas of your bag that need the most change, and save the least necessary areas last. That, or like JB said, get to a THP outing and get helped through the entire process with MOST of the major clubs at your disposal..

I have everything changed from the start of last year short of my 3wood, which is actually my next step. If I could offer any ounce of advice, it would be this (and it's just how I would have gone at it had I been able to do it all over again):

1 - Be patient with your testing --- Don't jump to conclusions with certain companies
2 - Test EVERYTHING --- Leave no stone unturned, as there are way too many options to be brand picky
3 - Get fit --- Shafts, loft, lie.. All very important
4 - Trust what feels best for you and what looks good on a monitor or range --- Forget what is written on the clubs.

I changed out all of mine this year. First time ever.
From that list I would say a THP Outing should be #1....You can figure it all out there.

DAMN!! Now I wish I had found THP and actually made it to the 2011 THP outing ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back