Golfers who make your squirm!

An uncle of a friend I normally play with played with us last week. Our local course here in town is packed on the weekends, so I normally play a little loose in the rules to keep pace of play up. Things like lateral drops when hitting OB, putting/hitting out of turn if you're ready, things like that. This guy insisted that we play every rule exactly like its supposed to be and pitched a fit if we ever went out of turn. Normally I wouldn't care, but he refused to let a twosome play through and there were at least 4 groups backed up behind us.

Not playing with him again.

Yikes some of these stories are nuts. I don't have any really bad ones. I'm one of those guys who will complain once in a while about my shots but I only say it to myself. I'm not gonna annoy someone with my issues.

Forgot to mention this. Some guy almost took out my shins with a wedge. I got put on his team in a scramble last year and we were on 16. He was hitting a little wedge shot just off the green. He bladed it and immediately yelled and threw his club HARD. I was standing behind and to the side of him waiting to take my turn. He dang near hits me in the legs. This was a potential bone breaker with how hard he threw the club and it barely missed me. I didn't say a word because I was absolutely seething and if anything came out, it would have been very very bad. It is amazing how stupid people doing stupid thing can potentially have very bad consequences if you are unlucky enough to be around them. If he would have hit me in the leg and broke it, that would have been the end of my golfing for a few weeks. What a sack of rubbish.

Forgot to mention this. Some guy almost took out my shins with a wedge. I got put on his team in a scramble last year and we were on 16. He was hitting a little wedge shot just off the green. He bladed it and immediately yelled and threw his club HARD. I was standing behind and to the side of him waiting to take my turn. He dang near hits me in the legs. This was a potential bone breaker with how hard he threw the club and it barely missed me. I didn't say a word because I was absolutely seething and if anything came out, it would have been very very bad. It is amazing how stupid people doing stupid thing can potentially have very bad consequences if you are unlucky enough to be around them. If he would have hit me in the leg and broke it, that would have been the end of my golfing for a few weeks. What a sack of rubbish.

A friend of mine threw his wedge a couple of months ago....it took one bounce and then skidding for about 5 feet on the cart path. Not only did he hit a bad shot, but he scratched his Vokey up like crazy.

A friend of mine threw his wedge a couple of months ago....it took one bounce and then skidding for about 5 feet on the cart path. Not only did he hit a bad shot, but he scratched his Vokey up like crazy.

No biggy, it isn't even forged :devil:

I'm really glad that my experiences with random 4ths have been really great so far. One time a guy was a bit laughable in his claims and actions, but still nothing too nuts.

No offense to your friend, but I think that is what people deserve when they throw their stuff.

I was watching a JR tourney from the clubhouse while waiting on my tee time. I saw this kid just throwing a fit on the 18th green. A golf mom was sitting beside me and I was telling her how bad that kid looked and if I was his parent, I would withdraw him from the tourney right then and take any club that he threw away until he can learn to be respectful of 1.) his fellow players, 2.) the course and 3.) his equipment. It was embarrassing. I asked if it was her kid and she said that it was not. She then asked me if it was really that bad and I told her that my parents would have skinned me alive if I acted like that in anything and especially in a sanctioned event (baseball in my case). There is no excuse for a child to be acting like that (or any adult for that matter).

No offense to your friend, but I think that is what people deserve when they throw their stuff.

I was watching a JR tourney from the clubhouse while waiting on my tee time. I saw this kid just throwing a fit on the 18th green. A golf mom was sitting beside me and I was telling her how bad that kid looked and if I was his parent, I would withdraw him from the tourney right then and take any club that he threw away until he can learn to be respectful of 1.) his fellow players, 2.) the course and 3.) his equipment. It was embarrassing. I asked if it was her kid and she said that it was not. She then asked me if it was really that bad and I told her that my parents would have skinned me alive if I acted like that in anything and especially in a sanctioned event (baseball in my case). There is no excuse for a child to be acting like that (or any adult for that matter).

Oh I agree...I would have never told him though :)

Just last week, my buddy launched his SW off the 16th green. Snapped it in half. This is a guy I know (and an ex-partner w/the NYPD) for 20 years so there's no way in the world I'd ever hold anything back with him.

I just shook my head in disgust and said, "good for you, 'ya dope." Ok, in all honesty, my comment wasn't exactly so G-rated.

Then I was able to add insult to his club's injury when I dropped birdie on the same hole, followed with a birdie chip off the green of the par-3 17th, eventually winning the match and taking his money. Now THAT was one expensive re-shaft for the poor fella. :smile-big:

"Golf gods don't like ugly," I told him as he handed over the cash. :wink:

I walk on as a single last week and get paired up with a two some and another single. Well one guy just swore up and down he was the best ever. "That was quite an 8 iron, wasn't it?" " I just played a soft draw this time". I knew it was going to be a long day. He was putting down his buddies shots every chance he could get, and just being down right annoying. We get to the turn, the other single bails out. We go to start the back nine and he says, "pretty hard keeping up with me huh? I shot 41" What did you shoot? (44) I laugh and say let's see if you can keep it up.

We get on the back 9 and he implodes! Shots are going everywhere! I've never heard someone curse their own name so much in my life. Clubs were flying everywhere, LOL! I shoot 41 on the back and finish with 85 (personal best). I ask him what he finished with and he grumbles and walks away. His buddy was just shaking his heading laughing. Will definitely not be playing that guy ever again!

We were playing before work on a Saturday. 4 of us usually play 9. Well, one of the normal guys couldn't play with us, so we invited a new co-worker to play. Everytime he had a bad shot he would curse and slam his club into the ground. After the first 8 holes, it was getting really annoying. On the last hole he had a pretty nice tee shot. Then duffed his second shot, it went left and landed on top a hill will tall grass. Again the curse words fly and club gets slammed. They were cutting the grass on the green, so we had to wait a few minutes. The longer we waited, the mhore irate he got. Well, once he hit his shot, which he duffed again. He yelled "F***" at the top of his lungs. Went into the club house and was complaining about them cutting the greens. And him having to wait. He demanded his money back even! So they gave him his money back and asked him not to return. This is a course where I have my membership, needless to say I was really embarrassed. I went into the club house after he left, apologized for him. I even paid for his golf that they refunded. It wasn't the courses fault. He was just a jerk! I never played golf with him again. In fact he only worked with us for about 3 months cuz he was a jerk to customers too. Just an all around jerk.

We were playing before work on a Saturday. 4 of us usually play 9. Well, one of the normal guys couldn't play with us, so we invited a new co-worker to play. Everytime he had a bad shot he would curse and slam his club into the ground. After the first 8 holes, it was getting really annoying. On the last hole he had a pretty nice tee shot. Then duffed his second shot, it went left and landed on top a hill will tall grass. Again the curse words fly and club gets slammed. They were cutting the grass on the green, so we had to wait a few minutes. The longer we waited, the mhore irate he got. Well, once he hit his shot, which he duffed again. He yelled "F***" at the top of his lungs. Went into the club house and was complaining about them cutting the greens. And him having to wait. He demanded his money back even! So they gave him his money back and asked him not to return. This is a course where I have my membership, needless to say I was really embarrassed. I went into the club house after he left, apologized for him. I even paid for his golf that they refunded. It wasn't the courses fault. He was just a jerk! I never played golf with him again. In fact he only worked with us for about 3 months cuz he was a jerk to customers too. Just an all around jerk.

What an ass hat. Good of ya to pay his green fees. That guy has problems.

TapaTalk: More addictive than crack and World of Warcraft.

I walk on as a single last week and get paired up with a two some and another single. Well one guy just swore up and down he was the best ever. "That was quite an 8 iron, wasn't it?" " I just played a soft draw this time". I knew it was going to be a long day. He was putting down his buddies shots every chance he could get, and just being down right annoying. We get to the turn, the other single bails out. We go to start the back nine and he says, "pretty hard keeping up with me huh? I shot 41" What did you shoot? (44) I laugh and say let's see if you can keep it up.

We get on the back 9 and he implodes! Shots are going everywhere! I've never heard someone curse their own name so much in my life. Clubs were flying everywhere, LOL! I shoot 41 on the back and finish with 85 (personal best). I ask him what he finished with and he grumbles and walks away. His buddy was just shaking his heading laughing. Will definitely not be playing that guy ever again!
I'd gamble with him the next time and then give him the same treatment. That guy will want to quit the game after I'm done with him. I can't stand guys like that.

I haven't played with anyone like this in a while, but a few years ago I played with a kid whom refused to be quiet while anyone was swinging. Not just making a little noise... :banghead: But he would be having a full out conversation with his friend on the other hole, or slamming his club on the ground, or just messing in his golf back. He simply just didn't care. I was so mad especially since this was a tournament I was playing in. I finally said something to him after making noise in my swing, I just looked at his and said "DUDE SERIOUSLY" he knew i was a bit angry so he was chilled out the rest of the time.

My Dad always taught me to pay attention to other golfers shots to see how the course played especially on the greens for putts. This helps me focus on the course and their shots. It also helped me shut the hell up.

I'm pretty tolerant of most personalities that I've played with and since I normal show up to play as a single, I get hooked up with all kinds of folks. By and large, everyone has been okay -- some slow, some fast, some loud, some silent -- no issue. But I did get partnered up with some folks recently who started making many derogatory and racist comments about the slow-playing foursome ahead of us. After a couple holes, I excused myself and went to the range.

I'm pretty tolerant of most personalities that I've played with and since I normal show up to play as a single, I get hooked up with all kinds of folks. By and large, everyone has been okay -- some slow, some fast, some loud, some silent -- no issue. But I did get partnered up with some folks recently who started making many derogatory and racist comments about the slow-playing foursome ahead of us. After a couple holes, I excused myself and went to the range.
I don't blame you that kind of stuff is just uncalled for.

Ugh, I hate that! Just because my skin happens to be of a similar shade doesn't mean that I have the same ignorant thoughts. I just wish people like that would go away. There is no longer a place for them in this world.

I guess i've been lucky, or really tolerant, as I can't recall to many incidents where I was so completely turned off by who I was playing with. Although I play by myself a lot more than I play with other people (not by choice, or by bad personality on my part mind you, I'm just out often on a course that is sparsley populated at times when most normal folk are at work.)

Granted I will admit I have a habit or two that might fringe on some of the bad qualities, If i'm golfing with someone I know I tend to talk about my shots often (but moreso out of my mental process to process what I did and what I need to do. I don't give a hoot if anyone is listening or not), and I try not to give advice as I don't like unsolicited advice; but if someone is something so egregious, as someone myself who used to be horrible at the game, I really want to help them because I've been there. I also consider myself a slow player, I'm really not a sloth by any means, but if i'm in a serious game I can grind over shots and I don't pretend to be fast. I also usually play better than I let on, but i rarely gamble so it doesn't really matter. Although I haven't had anything other than water to drink on the course in over 2 years

Back to the topic at hand, as I said I can't recall many a playing partner where I was loathed to get rid of them. There are a lot of drunks on the course I play (particularly in the men's league, and in the memorial-labor day golf outing group I belong to), but They don't really bother me. Those guys are letting off steam after work and trying to have a good time with their buddies, i'm not going to begrudge them for getting their drink on, this isn't some fancy private club so I understand the clientle going in. They want to drink and this course is the kind of place for them to do so.
Nobody likes cheaters or people who can't handle their emotions, but unless i'm playing for money if you use the foot wedge I don't care, but I will remember it. And I like when fools get angry and throw things, it's funny and it's a quick reminder to me why I worked so hard to get my emotions under control in the first place.
I'd say at this point the only people who I actually have a "problem" golfing with is the guy who is (or the guy who thinks he is) the alpha male and acts like it. I can't quite put my finger on it as a lot of times it can be a sublte thing, but there are guys that try to give off this vibe that they're leader of the pack and you are not; which will put me subconsiously on the defensive and will throw me off. It's really the only way I can get thrown off, drunks/slow/old/fast/young/loud/quite, I can reasonable deal with without it effecting my game.
I wish I could better explain the type of person i'm referring, but i cannot off hand. Donald Trump I guess would be a loudmouthed version of that guy. He thinks of himself as the lion at the head of the pride and the rest of us are to fall in line behind him, and that brings out my napoleon complex and throws me off

The wife and I got paired last weekend with a middle aged couple that were beginners.
I have no problem playing with beginning golfers as we all started somewhere.
This round was ther first round on an 18 hole course, in fact it was the first round other than a par 3 course.
They start off by apologizing for holding us up because they were beginners. We said "no problem, we all are beginners at one point".
I'm playing the tips and hit a good drive...the other husband is playing the white tees and hits 130 down the middle. (nice start)
My wife then hits a decent drive(160) in the fairway....the other wife approaches her ball...waggles....waggles....waggles...then steps back and plumb bobs her driver.
Now I'm thinking, "uh oh...where is this going?" She then re-addresses the ball with 2 more waggles and then 3 practice swings over the top of the ball.
1 more waggle and she takes a rip at it. Hitting the turf 9 inches behind the ball, the driver pops up and over the ball, missing it completely.
Now I'm thinking, "oh no, she's going to start that pre-shot routine all over". To my surprise, she drops and F bomb and then takes another rip at it and sends it out about 100 yards down the middle!
So...off we go...to her next shot...almost the same pre-shot routine still with the driver in hand. She then realizes she has the driver, goes back to her bag and gets a fairway wood. Again with the routine and then toes it 30 yards right over a little hill and out of sight. She sticks the club in the bag and starts walking over to find her ball...no club. Her husband drives the cart to his ball and hits his next shot 100 yards and a little left, but findable. Then he takes off for his ball. Remember, he is in the left rough and almost 120 yards ahead of his wife and she is way right and looking for her ball....no club. He gets to his ball and then starts screaming at her to hurry up and find the ball or take a drop! We have hit our balls by now, I'm on the green within 15 ft of the pin and my wife is just on the fringe.
The other wife starts screaming that she can't find the ball and she doesn't have one to drop...still no club. The husband then decides to throw her a ball.
Not to offend the females on THP, but does the term, "throws like a little girl" mean anything? He is almost 120 yards away when he attempts the throw.(if that's what you could call it) I swear...it only flew about 12 yards and then rolled another 5. She then walks all the way over and picks up the ball and heads back to where she is going to drop....still no club. By this time, both my wife and I are on the green, have marked our balls and are watching this fiasco. The other gal makes it most of the way back to her "drop spot", when she realizes she has no club. Yet another scream to the husband to bring her a club. Instead of driving the cart to her, he grabs 3 clubs and starts walking to her. She meets him half way and they proceed to scream at each other about god knows what. While they are screaming in the middle of the fairway, my wife and I putt out. Then we watch the other wife drop the ball and hit it another 30 yards to the right. Remember.....this is just the FIRST HOLE !
After that last shot, I had decided I had had enough and we were going to play on. Before I could say anything to the husband(while she was out looking for her ball with the f bombs flying), he asked if we wanted to play on without them. I agreed and away we went. We were done with the next hole(par 3) before they were done with the first hole. We left them in the dust and I have no idea how long that round took them. I shot 75, my 2nd best round of the year and my wife shot 95, her best of the year so far. I know I could not have shot that kind of score if we would have hung on to that couple. During that first and only hole we played with them, I really started to get frustrated. But after a few holes, it hit me just how funny that scene really was. It's a hole that I will never forget.....

21 over after ten holes, 5 over last 8 holes! What changed? I changed carts and foursomes. Occasionally play with a group on Fridays that has 7to8 so two tee times, until this past Friday I've always played second tee time this time I played in the first group.

My cart partner. We're talking cell phone (three calls between first tee and second shot from fairway, the ringtone (which was music) was so loud you could hear it for several holes distance, it rang through all 18, at one point someone was searching for who had a radio playing on the course), no hesitation to tell me how bad I screwed up on that shot, he would run cart out into other fairways to play his wayward shots regardless of other players hitting on their own fairway, if my ball wasn't in plain sight he refused to look "I don't look for balls" and insisted I drop one and play on (he would look for his own). Seemed like a decent guy until I played half a round with him, now consider him one of the rudest people I have ever seen on a course.

His buddy. Would hit and immediately walk to his ball not waiting for anyone else (even directly in front of the tee box as I'm in midswing, having hit someone in the past this made me totally lose it swing wise). Never said a word to me through 10 holes, if I pissed him off I don't know what I did.

Thank heavens at the turn one of the guys quit and I dropped back into the second group, after taking a hole to calm down I finished last eight holes 5 over (if my whole round had gone this well it would have been my best ever). :banghead: Never again, two guys asked how playing in the first group went, clearly the problem with these two is long term and no one felt the need to warn me. :angry:

I can usually play with just about anybody, I've got the just don't care attitude and I can tune anybody out. But one thing that really gets under my skin is cheaters. A friendly match just out messing around is one thing, but when it comes to skin games and tournaments I can lose it pretty quick. I've never understood what drives people to cheat in something like golf it really says something about there personality in general, but I guess some people weren't raised right.

played with a couple of uhhh... weird guys
the course was playing slow and a couple of guys were in front of my brother and i
while behind them it was obvious they were in our observation new to the game in every way
well we caught up with them and paired together and they told us stories of their amazing golf history and feats of accomplishment
my brother and i quickly determined they were full of bs but we didnt call them on it
one guy said they werent using driver cuz he broke his on the range and that it was his 3rd one he's gone thru
he even went to our cart and pulled my driver out of my bag to "look" at it
i politely said "dude i dont think its a good idea for you to hit my driver if youve already broken a few... dont want you to have to buy me another one"
his claims of 300yrd drives were too much for drivers to take and they dont make them strong enough for his swing... blah blah blah
they were teeing off with some kinda iron... didnt really ask what iron... but they claimed before we joined they were popping it out to the tune of 250 or so
yeah... it didnt happen after we joined and i guess they thought the teebox was a driving range where multiple mulligans were common
pretty strange round... thank god we didnt have to share a cart with them

Played with a guy who was in his 70's today. In his prime, he was a Titleist staffer and one of the most renowned teachers in the state of Georgia. I respect him a lot and he's a good friend of the family but by the 10th hole or so he had me so effed up I wanted to leave the course. Everything I did, he had to tell me what I did wrong. What a lousy day on the course.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Played with a guy who was in his 70's today. In his prime, he was a Titleist staffer and one of the most renowned teachers in the state of Georgia. I respect him a lot and he's a good friend of the family but by the 10th hole or so he had me so effed up I wanted to leave the course. Everything I did, he had to tell me what I did wrong. What a lousy day on the course.

That sucks man, I hate when that happens and I'm no hater, lol

Tap,Tap,Tap

played with a couple of uhhh... weird guys
the course was playing slow and a couple of guys were in front of my brother and i
while behind them it was obvious they were in our observation new to the game in every way
well we caught up with them and paired together and they told us stories of their amazing golf history and feats of accomplishment
my brother and i quickly determined they were full of bs but we didnt call them on it
one guy said they werent using driver cuz he broke his on the range and that it was his 3rd one he's gone thru
he even went to our cart and pulled my driver out of my bag to "look" at it
i politely said "dude i dont think its a good idea for you to hit my driver if youve already broken a few... dont want you to have to buy me another one"
his claims of 300yrd drives were too much for drivers to take and they dont make them strong enough for his swing... blah blah blah
they were teeing off with some kinda iron... didnt really ask what iron... but they claimed before we joined they were popping it out to the tune of 250 or so
yeah... it didnt happen after we joined and i guess they thought the teebox was a driving range where multiple mulligans were common
pretty strange round... thank god we didnt have to share a cart with them

Sorry to hear that both of you. I hate it when you get bad pairings.

Couple of years ago I played a round with this really nice guy. Funny. Patient. But two things about him were just flat-out annoying.

First off, he chewed tobacco and spit all over the course... tee boxes, fairways, rough, bunkers, even the greens! And it's not the "chew" that was annoying... it was all the spitting! I've played with other guys who "chew" but they've at least been courteous enough to carry a cup/can with them to spit in instead of doing it all over the course!

Second, he improved his lie every single time! Before we started our round, he made this big deal about how he was consistently hitting 75-80 his last couple of rounds... I shortly found out how! He would pick up his ball (only marked it on the putting green) and replace his ball so that it was sitting up! One time he splashed into a greenside bunker and the ball was absolutely buried. He picked the ball up and then placed it back down on top of the sand so he could get a cleaner hit at it! And no, he did not count penalties every time he picked up to improve his lie.

Back