Will Mizuno be offering combo sets with the JPX923 FliHi hybrids this year?

Looks like PGA Tour SS already has a combo set listed for the HL set, but I don't see it for the regular HM set. Might be able to custom order though, with the FliHi hybrids.

I’ll be renting a SIM today to get more numbers up and down the bag you’ll have to stay tuned here over the next few weeks for the full bag breakdown.

I plan on recording the session so If there are any specific numbers or other stuff you’d like to see on video or discussed off video please let me know. I know sound is an important thing for a lot including myself so I’ll definitely get some audio today.

I’ll keep my first post in this thread updated with all of my subsequent feedback posts in this thread over the next several months. For ease of access.

The Hot Metal Pro will be one sleeper set of irons this year. Tremendous performance packed into a solid looking frame.

This is, I think, the 3rd release of those? Just seems like that part of the line has needed time to grow and grab attention. I feel like this release could be the one that does exactly what you say.

shorter and thinner are two words some like to hear when describing an iron.

I was thinking I'd want the Forged for a bit but I'm leaning hard towards the HMP. So much tech and performance. Be a nice compliment to the irons I already game.

For quick reference, I am coming from the 2019 P790s 4-GW and 2 UDI driving iron. I went with 923 HMPs 4-9 iron. If anyone has questions for me, @That post or @AuzzieMatt fire way.

I was fortunate enough to be a part of the Victory Cup with Mizuno THP experience. As many of you know at that experience I was given a set of irons and wedges. I picked out JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro’s (Recoil 95 shafts) as the irons I would receive as part of the experience. I’ve been waiting to talk about these beauties for a little over a week but it seems like a year! I have so much to say.

First, let me paint a little bit of a picture. I had been away from the game for nearly 20 years and just recently returned to playing this past July. Prior to the HMP’s I had been playing Sub 70 699 pro’s. A fairly basic hollow body design, which like @JB will point out, has no real tech or R&D behind them. They were fine and cheap for someone trying to determine if they wanted to dive back into this addiction of golf (I do).

I won a Golden Ticket here on THP at the beginning of the year. For those unaware this allowed me to select my own THP experience to be a part of, truly mind blowing stuff. I knew as soon as the first hints were dropped that I wanted in this Mizuno experience. Previous to now I had never hit a Mizuno iron. I’ve always heard wonderful things about them but had yet to experience it myself.

The first time I made contact with a Mizuno iron was on the range at TPC Sawgrass. Pretty nice initiation huh? The first club I hit was the 8i 923 Hot Metal Pro. As soon as I made contact I realized what everyone says is true “Nothing feels like a Mizuno”. I’ll never forget the buttery feeling and sound of that first hit. Luckily for me I hit a pretty good shot and the memory isn’t sullied.

I figure it would be fitting to kick off my feedback of these clubs with a quick look at what this 8i can do. I went to a local golf store before work today and begged an employee to give me 10 minutes on their trackman to get some numbers. I didn’t have long before work but I was able to put a few swings on my old 8i and the new 923 Hot Metal Pro 8 iron. Because the 923 line is #ENGINEEREDFORCUSTOM I was able to order the HMP’s 1º weak. That makes the the old 8i 35° and new 34º loft. Both are sporting some UST goodness, DART 90 in the old, Recoil 95 in the new. The results of the numbers are pretty great.

View attachment 9122629

View attachment 9122630

I’m peeved that all of the data wasn’t captured on the old set but I’m confident that both swings were pretty consistent. The thing that jumps out to me is the ball speed increase on HMP from a swing that was just a little slower. I’m not an expert on all the numbers but based on ball flight and distance I’m very happy with how the HMP performed in this very quick test. The Hot Metal Pro’s are absolute rocket launchers and I’m going to have to relearn all my distances (a good problem to have).

Due to the lack of time I had today this is all I have to share right now. I’m going to skipping my Monday round and instead be renting some SIM time somewhere to go through the whole bag. I need to take some time to understand what I can do with these clubs. I’ve tried with guesswork on the course but I am a data nerd and need to have the cold hard facts in front of me.

I’ll be doing video/photos at the SIM tomorrow and until it gets to cold to be on a course. I will be sharing all of that stuff here in this thread over the next few months. If there are certain things you would like a mid handicapper (8.9) like myself to test out either in the SIM or on course please let me know. I’m here to serve in this thread. If I’m not giving the info you are looking for please tell me and I’ll make it happen.

You are going to want to keep an eye on this thread. Add it to your watch list, bookmark it, do whatever you have to do to make sure not to miss it. This is an iron release you are going to want to pay attention to. For sure.
OMG! Ball speed jumped almost 10 MPH!!! All your numbers are better! What a great selection!!! :love::love:🔥🔥🔥

Having played the HMP all this year up until just a month ago it was a great iron. I will need to go back and hit the new lineup and do a comparison.

OMG! Ball speed jumped almost 10 MPH!!! All your numbers are better! What a great selection!!! :love::love:🔥🔥🔥
It’s gonna be soooooo good once they’re dialed and I know my yardages again. More forgiveness AND distance!!!

For quick reference, I am coming from the 2019 P790s 4-GW and 2 UDI driving iron. I went with 923 HMPs 4-9 iron. If anyone has questions for me, @That post or @AuzzieMatt fire way.

I played some p790's for a bit...so yeah I'd love to hear your thoughts on making that change, what you see more flight wise, forgiveness wise, and profile.

Having played the HMP all this year up until just a month ago it was a great iron. I will need to go back and hit the new lineup and do a comparison.
Yes, definitely do this!

This is, I think, the 3rd release of those? Just seems like that part of the line has needed time to grow and grab attention. I feel like this release could be the one that does exactly what you say.

That is correct and they always seem to fly under the radar.
I played some p790's for a bit...so yeah I'd love to hear your thoughts on making that change, what you see more flight wise, forgiveness wise, and profile.

They are slightly smaller to my eye in some areas, spin a bit more, fly similar distance and sound 4800000000000 times better. :ROFLMAO:

They are slightly smaller to my eye in some areas, spin a bit more, fly similar distance and sound 4800000000000 times better. :ROFLMAO:
They sound sooo good. I’m such a sucker for good acoustics I really wish the guy at Golf Exchange would have stopped talking to me about them for at least a few seconds so I could have gotten some clean audio yesterday. 🤣

I was hoping against hope that they would offer a 3i in the HMP. I still have my 4i from the 921 and it would be the perfect club for me in place of a 5w. I hope people don't sleep on the HMPs. They are absolute monsters.

I went with the same shaft I had in my P790s to my JPX 923 HMPs - DG Tour Issue X100 that I was fitted in. Flight wise I definitely see a higher flight pattern in the HMPs that lend to a softer landing on the green. Forgiveness has drastically improved for me. My current miss (albeit 95% of the time right now :ROFLMAO:) is a strong fade okay slice. My slice is not as damaging with these. Instead of being on the right rough of the other fairway, I am on the right rough of the fairway I am currently playing. Heal hits are less punishing for me as well. Standing over the irons at first took me some getting used to in the longer irons (4 and 5) as I can see the back of the iron head more than I did with the P790s. I got over that real quick when my 5 iron, typically 190 total, carried 200 to fly the green. These irons are much easier for me to hit with a better ball flight and more control. I am really looking forward to playing better golf with them.

That is correct and they always seem to fly under the radar.

They do sound way better!

Got to be the first one to hit these last week at my local shop. They felt really good and packed some solid distance there for the HMPs. If I was in the market these would get a long, hard look.

Video is up as well

Got to be the first one to hit these last week at my local shop. They felt really good and packed some solid distance there for the HMPs. If I was in the market these would get a long, hard look.
I do believe this is where I land. I kinda feel like the Forged are similar to what I have and the Tour is the wrong direction

Just a quickie from me.

I was playing Wilson D7 Forged up until I was chosen for this Experience. I swapped those out (sold) and put my Maltby DBM's that I had built back in 2014 into play until last week.

I got fitted by the local Mizuno rep at a fitting day at my course for the Hot Metals 2° up with Project X IO 6.0 shafts.

I went full internet golfer to Hot Metal Pro's 2° with Recoil 95 F4 shafts. Why? Because I could. 🙃

I haven't gotten the chance to play since we left Florida but will be at my course on Sunday and I can't wait to ask at the check in desk the questions we asked at Sawgrass...where's the first tee and what's the course record? 🤣

Last edited:
Ahh new equipment releases. Now my poor 921 Forgeds are going to start sweating.

i went a different direction for the victory cup, choosing pro 225 instead of an iron from the 923 line. i seriously considered the hmp, but i took @Vosh68 advice and went with a little more spin. i'm kicking myself for not hitting any of my fellow victory cup participants' 923 line at sawgrass, but i can say the irons sounds fantastic, and look great.

when the forged are available, i'll definitely be taking some swings with those.

I got over that real quick when my 5 iron, typically 190 total, carried 200 to fly the green. These irons are much easier for me to hit with a better ball flight and more control.
I had a very similar experience with my 5i. I didn’t hit it at all at TPC so the first hit I had with it was on the home course.

I was over 200 out on a par 5 and have never hit an iron over 200 in my life. There were guys just leaving the green and walking back to their cart. I bounced a ball 215yards between them and the cart.
6BF3D186-E98E-44AD-B32C-8BA68F29AF98.jpeg
Things are absolute rockets.

Last edited:
I had a very similar experience with my 5i. I didn’t hit it at all at TPC so the first hit I had with it was on course.

I was over 200 out on a par 5 and have never hit an iron over 200 in my life. There were guys just leaving the green and walking back to their cart. I bounced a ball 215yards between them and the cart.
View attachment 9122650
Things are absolute rockets.
Rockets indeed! Played 9 holes at my course on Wednesday for the first time with my new sticks. We have a relatively short par 5 on the front and my drive always goes right. My punch out was into the left rough a little further than my target. The pin was in the middle right of the green and I was about 160 out. Grabbed my 9 iron which is typically 150 total thinking I would let it hit and roll up towards the stick. Nope, the ball hit right next to the cup on the fly and rolled out about 10 feet :oops: The distance I am getting on these with good strikes is very impressive and I do not have to swing out of my "squeaky" Jordans!

Back