My journey to consistently shoot 90's!

nice shot, Im happy any time I hit a par 3 green as im horrible on them this year, let alone inches away from a hole in one....keep it up!

nice shot, Im happy any time I hit a par 3 green as im horrible on them this year, let alone inches away from a hole in one....keep it up!
Thanks. :D

I'm pretty horrible on the my Par 3, 4, & 5 stats this year after 5 rounds. Par 3 average: 4.67; Par 4 average: 5.94; Par 5 average: 6.5... looking to improve all these stats by end of the year. seems like my score is improving though so I'm pretty happy. my league is every other week. 1st league play started 04-23-11, scored 112, then here's my scores in the next 4 rounds... 107, 108, 97, 95

been a few days and just hitting the range. seems to be that I'm improving ball striking. I know that it'll come down to hitting on the course but for now, I'm building confidence on ball striking. I've been using the MX-1000 to get used to them. if I'm confident enough, I'll game them on the next league play on July 10th. :D

This is a great thread! I have only broken 100 three times in the past year so following your posts are fun. I'm going to have to try the "every hole is a par 5" system. That just seems like a good idea for the way I try to play. Also, I think I have read every book that people have suggested you read. Pelz has some good ideas and I have had some success with his 1/2 and 3/4 swing suggestions, but Ben Hogan's 5 lessons.....there is no way I will every have enough talent to hit a ball like that man could! Hit em well, and I will be following your posts.

This is a great thread! I have only broken 100 three times in the past year so following your posts are fun. I'm going to have to try the "every hole is a par 5" system. That just seems like a good idea for the way I try to play. Also, I think I have read every book that people have suggested you read. Pelz has some good ideas and I have had some success with his 1/2 and 3/4 swing suggestions, but Ben Hogan's 5 lessons.....there is no way I will every have enough talent to hit a ball like that man could! Hit em well, and I will be following your posts.

I actually did that my last round and shot a 90.
Don't know if that was the reason but that was the approach I took.
When I parred two of the Par 3's, it felt like eagles.
Shot a 43 on the front and kinda fell apart for 2 holes on the back that led to a 47.

I actually did that my last round and shot a 90.
Don't know if that was the reason but that was the approach I took.
When I parred two of the Par 3's, it felt like eagles.
Shot a 43 on the front and kinda fell apart for 2 holes on the back that led to a 47.
the all Par 5 mentality is what I will take on next league play. I will need to consistently shoot low to mid 90's to keep my lead. I think that should be enough unless people start shooting really good. currently, I'm sitting on a 23.4 handicap for our next league play.

thanks to everyone that's following along. :D

Great to hear about everyones success. I'm going out Sunday to play a course I've never played before. I'll have my GPS in hand to help with distances which has seemed to be my problem. Good course management my last round helped me shoot under 100 on a pretty tough course.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Great to hear about everyones success. I'm going out Sunday to play a course I've never played before. I'll have my GPS in hand to help with distances which has seemed to be my problem. Good course management my last round helped me shoot under 100 on a pretty tough course.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.
awesome! congrats on shooting under 100. always fun to shoot well. :D

I had my very first uh oh with my GolfBuddy. my last course, the GolfBuddy was 30-50 yards off on some of the holes. good thing my brother had his iPhone. at one of the Par 3's, GolfBuddy said it was 200 yards while the card said about 160 yards. my bro's phone and a friend's Bushnell both had the right yardage. so, now I will be on the market for a Bushnell for back up.

awesome! congrats on shooting under 100. always fun to shoot well. :D

I had my very first uh oh with my GolfBuddy. my last course, the GolfBuddy was 30-50 yards off on some of the holes. good thing my brother had his iPhone. at one of the Par 3's, GolfBuddy said it was 200 yards while the card said about 160 yards. my bro's phone and a friend's Bushnell both had the right yardage. so, now I will be on the market for a Bushnell for back up.

I played a course like that a few weeks ago. I have a garmin approach g3. The first two holes were pretty accurate and then I got to the third hole and it was off by 150 yards, didn't even have to correct hole placement. I know the course had unwent a face lift in the past year but, they completley changed holes around. Needless to say I was without a GPS for the remainder of the round.

had a chance to go out to The Majestic at Lake Walden course and had a blast with my two bros. we were able to play a total of 16 or 17 holes. played 19 to 27th holes and 1-5, 8-9, and 16th. used the MX 1000 for this round coz I'm planning to use them on our next league play so I'm trying to get used to them. I had trouble with my tee shots all day. found the fairways but were really short. it felt like I was trying to lift the ball. I was a good 20-40 yards short of my usual 220-240 drives. it'll take a little time to get used to the MX 1000 at the course. I've been hitting them pretty well at the range but I knew the real test was gonna be at the course. by the second nine, I was getting more comfortable with them. I finished with 4 Pars to end the round so that was something to take home. we plan on going out this week again and I'm sticking with the MX 1000.

06-25-2011B.jpg

06-25-2011A.jpg

I have been in Florida on business all week and wanting to try the "every hole is a par 5" idea. I thought I would get in a least one round after work if not two this week. Not to be. Rain every afternoon. Heading home tomorrow without a single round played. Bummer. Had to drink beer and watch it rain out over the ocean from my balcony instead. Oh, well maybe this weekend will be dry at home.

I have been in Florida on business all week and wanting to try the "every hole is a par 5" idea. I thought I would get in a least one round after work if not two this week. Not to be. Rain every afternoon. Heading home tomorrow without a single round played. Bummer. Had to drink beer and watch it rain out over the ocean from my balcony instead. Oh, well maybe this weekend will be dry at home.

Damn ope that's a bummer. Did you even bring your clubs with you?

I shot a 105 on Sunday and mostly due to my driver/swing being all kindsa funky. I was hitting low slices, high slices, pushes/fades. It was uncontrollable. I'm headed out tomorrow for a quick round by myself hopefully I can pull it together. I know I can consistently shoot in the 90's I just need to have to confidence and execution to do so.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I shot a 101 yesterday. Putting was awful, I easily should have shot a 95. But due to a few drop shots and missed 4-5 footers I couldn't. THis game is a biatch isn't it.

had a chance to go out to The Majestic at Lake Walden course and had a blast with my two bros. we were able to play a total of 16 or 17 holes. played 19 to 27th holes and 1-5, 8-9, and 16th. used the MX 1000 for this round coz I'm planning to use them on our next league play so I'm trying to get used to them. I had trouble with my tee shots all day. found the fairways but were really short. it felt like I was trying to lift the ball. I was a good 20-40 yards short of my usual 220-240 drives. it'll take a little time to get used to the MX 1000 at the course. I've been hitting them pretty well at the range but I knew the real test was gonna be at the course. by the second nine, I was getting more comfortable with them. I finished with 4 Pars to end the round so that was something to take home. we plan on going out this week again and I'm sticking with the MX 1000.

06-25-2011B.jpg

06-25-2011A.jpg

Nice looking course MD, I love my MX-300's and I am sure you will love the 1000's pretty soon, and that Ghost is looking good in the pic.

I shot a 101 yesterday. Putting was awful, I easily should have shot a 95. But due to a few drop shots and missed 4-5 footers I couldn't. THis game is a biatch isn't it.
That it is my friend, but isn't it fun. My putting has been in the 33 to 36 range everytime out lately, need a few more to fall to help get the scores back down. I know we both will continue to work hard, I am heading to the course in a few minutes to get in a chipping and putting session today.

That it is my friend, but isn't it fun. My putting has been in the 33 to 36 range everytime out lately, need a few more to fall to help get the scores back down. I know we both will continue to work hard, I am heading to the course in a few minutes to get in a chipping and putting session today.

Well let us know how that goes. I spent about an hour on the putting greens after my round to try and figure out what was wrong. The past few rounds I've tried a new putting grip and some days it works other days it dosen't. It's one of those grips you can't be lazy with

Putting is one of those things that, although you could practice 2 hours everyday at it, we don't. Same with chipping, I could make more one putts to save par if I would chip a little better. It'll come around though. I bet a couple of real focused practice sessions will get that putting back where you want it to be.

Now if I would follow my own advice.

Shot a 94 last Wed and 98 on Thurs. I thought I did worse. Driver was an issue and still getting used to the MX 1000. Def need to get comfortable with the new irons soon. League play is on Sun already.

Nice looking course MD, I love my MX-300's and I am sure you will love the 1000's pretty soon, and that Ghost is looking good in the pic.

Thanks. :D

Well I'm heading back on to play another tough course on Sunday. Doing well on these tough courses helps boost my confidence and my handicap. I shot a 99 last time I played this course, lets hope I can shoot lower.

Well I'm heading back on to play another tough course on Sunday. Doing well on these tough courses helps boost my confidence and my handicap. I shot a 99 last time I played this course, lets hope I can shoot lower.

I'll be pulling for you buddy, just pay close attention to your course management and you will do great.

had an interesting round on yesterday's league play. our normal league play is on Saturdays but our league competed with other leagues around the area yesterday. we've been taking family around the past 2 weeks so I haven't had a chance to practice much. this course we played at (Devil's Ridge Golf Club) was not the most friendly. I don't understand why the course rating was only 69.4/118. this has got to be the hardest course I've played all year. on most of the holes, there was danger all over the place. lots of blind shots and elevation changes are abundant. I would say that with someone that's a single handicap, they can find it a nice challenge. I lost 7 balls but managed to shoot 97. it was a shotgun start so I started with a Par 3 that's surrounded by water. let's just say that's ball casualty #1. LoL. I proceeded to lose two more balls the next two holes. that wasn't the best start and I was down to say the least. I've been waiting for this tournament for a while and to start like this was disappointing. anyway, picked it up after those holes and besides a few other blow up holes, I did good. short game around the green saved the day again for me as I 1 putted five times. almost got a birdie from about 40 yards, hit the flag but didn't go in.

I will be back on the course for a revenge sometime this year. hopefully, I can play that course a few more times this year for the challenge. I still had a great time though for my 1st ever outing. good news is I was T5 for the round. that makes it 4/6 top 5 finish and 6/6 top 10 finish for this year. I currently hold #1 for low net score (2nd week now) and am leading the points standing for our version of the FedEx cup.

I plan to have a practice round and some sessions on the range before Saturday's league play. :D

I finally got to try out the "every hole is a par 5" mindset last week. I was doing really well with it until hole 5. Then things started slipping away a bit. Finished the front 9 at 5 over for a real world 50. This was my best score ever for these 9 holes on a course that had really kicked my butt in the past. Had a rain delay for about an hour after nine so I was able to reset my mind and try again on the back nine. Shot a 2 over for a real world 47 on the back nine. This tied my best nine hole score ever. Ended up with a real world 97. This is only the fourth time in my brief golfing career that I have broken 100 so I will take the 97. From my results I can't say for sure that using the "every hole is a par 5" helped me, but I think it did. My thanks to whoever was the first to suggest this. I will be using this mindset for the foreseeable future.

The idea of using the 'every hole is a par 5' approach is to put positive thoughts in your mind. If you par a par 4, you got a birdie. If you bogey a par 4, it's like a par. It's just a mindset to keep you from getting down on yourself about a bad hole. It shouldn't effect your course strategy.

Congratulations on the best score on that front 9. Keep it up!

I finally got to try out the "every hole is a par 5" mindset last week. I was doing really well with it until hole 5. Then things started slipping away a bit. Finished the front 9 at 5 over for a real world 50. This was my best score ever for these 9 holes on a course that had really kicked my butt in the past. Had a rain delay for about an hour after nine so I was able to reset my mind and try again on the back nine. Shot a 2 over for a real world 47 on the back nine. This tied my best nine hole score ever. Ended up with a real world 97. This is only the fourth time in my brief golfing career that I have broken 100 so I will take the 97. From my results I can't say for sure that using the "every hole is a par 5" helped me, but I think it did. My thanks to whoever was the first to suggest this. I will be using this mindset for the foreseeable future.

Awesome stuff - keep it up!

I mentioned this approach earlier in the thread, not sure if I was first, but that's not important. What's important is the great advice from a great deal of people in this community!

This really is the best golf community I have found, and I've tried a lot!!!

Keep going with those thought processes and I have no doubt you'll reach your goals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back