It's time for HBO to step in...

Jordan J. Caron

Reaction score
Handicap
With Tiger's demise and everyone all over 22 year old Rory McIlroy in hopes that he will be the game's next great, I still see a lot of people in golf media crying that the game needs more exposure. I don't know if that's because they feel they're jobs aren't secure or the fact the game has other issues that they're trying to mask up but it's time for big bad HBO to to inject some new blood into the game. I'm not talking about coverage of events but the hyping of such events. Sorry but inside the PGA Tour isn't cutting it!

Being a fringe boxing fan I have always anticipated HBO and their 24/7 episodes that hype big fights. 24/7 is a raw, up-front and in your face look at each fighters preparation for the upcoming fight. They're really a back stage pass and it's incredible to see the work the fighters put in. The production level is through the rough and a big budget will do that along with a continued commitment from HBO to stamp their name on only quality stuff (they're shows and mini series are amazing).

Here's a clip from the first 24/7 that hyped the fight the was supposed to save boxing. *There is swearing in this video so just a warning if you don't like those words.
http://www.youtube.com/v/W2JAh-4n4Vo

They sure made me want to tune in and cheer for De La Hoya and hope he beat the crap out of the ultimate villain Floyd Mayweather!

This past December though they used 24/7 to hype the NHL's Winter Classic between the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins and I walked away with a better idea of what it's like to be a NHL player. HBO was able to dive into many players back stories along with their lives and how they acted like when they were of the ice. Being a fringe hockey fan now days I know there was no chance I was going to watch the Winter Classic but after viewing the 24/7 episodes, I was eagerly awaiting the game.

More swearing in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztlCjdkKKmk&feature=related

Not only did HBO go in depth on the players but also the games leading up to the Winter Classic. They sure made regular seasons games more exciting just by the recaps they aired.

This years ratings were good enough that NHL Commish Gary Bettman announced soon after the game that teams wishing to play in future Classics to participate in the 24/7 episodes. That's speak to the power of what HBO did in bringing awareness to the game.

What if HBO were to do the same with golf and produce 24/7 episodes leading up to each of the Majors? They could go in depth on some of the cool storylines leading up to the Open Championship.

A few examples:

Re-live Ben Curtis' 2003 shocker at St. George's

What's all the media attention like for Rory and how is he really handling it?

How the course will be set up and the work to get it set up by the R&A along with the superintendent and their staff.

Does Tiger actually have a chance to come back and play?

Profile some of the home country men like Donald, Westwood, Poulter, Fisher or Casey.

The history of winners at St. Geogre's.

How hard the Royal and Ancient work in putting on this event each year.

Those are just a few things that I have thought of in 20 minutes so I am sure the brains at HBO could find some others! The main point is to show us some behind the scenes stuff. Even though we get a slight glimpse of what some of these guys are like behind the scenes via their twitter accounts, we still get cliche answers in interviews and a lack of connection with who the truly are. HBO could go there and give us a greater appreciation of the event and it's venue as well.

What does everyone else think? Do you really buy into the media hype saying professional golf is lacking viewers?

Cheers!

Jordan J. Caron

Professional golf is lacking viewers
Although I dont think a HBO 24/7 program is the solution

I like the thought put into your post Jordan, well done.

I don't know if the casual viewers would be any more inclined to tune into this kind of program than they would the regular tournament though. I'm not sure what we can do in the short term to entice people to watch, short of turning the tournaments into a circus.

I absolutely love this idea. Any hockey fan I know absolutely LOVED the 24/7 series and I think a 24/7 series on a golfer who wins somewhat frequently would be a good set of episodes.

Except in the NHL, there is a buildup to one event where there is always 1 winner and 1 loser. How bad would it be if the 24/7 series was on Rory and he showed up to an 85-79 MC.

Seems like the stuff you mentioned would have very limited appeal to anyone other than someone who already IS watching golf. I would watch a show like that without doubt, but I already watch a lot of golf on tv and the need is to bring in new fans.

Seems like the stuff you mentioned would have very limited appeal to anyone other than someone who already IS watching golf. I would watch a show like that without doubt, but I already watch a lot of golf on tv and the need is to bring in new fans.

I agree, reading that had me thinking watching a show like that would awesome, but my buddies who are only casual golfers probably wouldn't care to watch.

THe only way golf will get more popularity in this country is if:

1. Careers are more readily available
2. It somehow becomes more affordable
3. It has to shake the stigma that it's a rich man's game
4. Golf truly needs another supreme golfer of race. It's amazing how many new people Tiger brought to golf b/c of his race.

Not so sure, I know a ton of people who didnt like hockey before the 24/7 series, and now think its tolerable.

Not so sure, I know a ton of people who didnt like hockey before the 24/7 series, and now think its tolerable.

I hate hockey, watched the shows and still hate hockey. It's just a show dude. TV shows, especially HBO (which not everyone has) isn't going to move a needle that big. It would take a grass root effort, like what the USGA is doing by making courses shorter.

4. Golf truly needs another supreme golfer of race. It's amazing how many new people Tiger brought to golf b/c of his race.

Its actually less about race and more about youth based on the numbers.
I agree they need another young dominating star with charisma.
With TW out of the picture right now, the casual fans have gone elsewhere and those youth casual fans are needed.

As for the series and what it did for hockey.
The US Ratings for that series were not very strong in relation to what is needed. Not even close really.
And the game that it built up to was also not very strong in comparison to what they are looking for.
While a show like this might grab a few viewers through sensationalism, it would not attract enough fans in my opinion.
The game has always been this way though and while spikes come at times through great play or odd events, the game rebounds nicely each and every time from the valleys.

TV shows, especially HBO (which not everyone has) isn't going to move a needle that big. It would take a grass root effort, like what the USGA is doing by making courses shorter.

I do agree with you 100%. In no way is a 24/7 series going to rescue the game of golf in any way, shape or form. But do I think it would help? Heck yeah.

Yeah, but watching hockey is like watching NASCAR, people watch it to see someone crash. Americans like violence, so I can see hockey picking up some new fans. Most people still think golf is a rich white mans game though, and as much as I can't stand him, golf needs more players like John Daly who make it clear that there are no social restrictions in golf any more.

Its actually less about race and more about youth based on the numbers.
I agree they need another young dominating star with charisma.
With TW out of the picture right now, the casual fans have gone elsewhere and those youth casual fans are needed.

As for the series and what it did for hockey.
The US Ratings for that series were not very strong in relation to what is needed. Not even close really.
And the game that it built up to was also not very strong in comparison to what they are looking for.
While a show like this might grab a few viewers through sensationalism, it would not attract enough fans in my opinion.
The game has always been this way though and while spikes come at times through great play or odd events, the game rebounds nicely each and every time from the valleys.

I would say Rory McIlroy, but I honestly believe that it would have to be an American. We're a proud nation. All those 20-something American's that were ready to challenge Tiger and Phil, well, they all suck.

I would say Rory McIlroy, but I honestly believe that it would have to be an American. We're a proud nation. All those 20-something American's that were ready to challenge Tiger and Phil, well, they all suck.

Aren't something like 50% of Americans 33% Irish anyway? :D

hehe, sorry. :wink:

I don't know about that TC. Rory was getting a great response from the crowds during the US Open. I think he could bridge the divide so to say. He's Irish dude. Everyone likes the Irish. Well except the stinkin English

Maybe so, but who knows. I like little Rory, I think he's a great Tiger replacement. He's everything Tiger is not! And he's Irish! Either way, I don't think HBO can fix it.

I don't know about that TC. Rory was getting a great response from the crowds during the US Open. I think he could bridge the divide so to say. He's Irish dude. Everyone likes the Irish. Well except the stinkin English

Maybe so, but who knows. I like little Rory, I think he's a great Tiger replacement. He's everything Tiger is not! And he's Irish! Either way, I don't think HBO can fix it.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments here.
Especially the bolded one.

I do agree with you 100%. In no way is a 24/7 series going to rescue the game of golf in any way, shape or form. But do I think it would help? Heck yeah.

I am with Thainer. I don't think a 24/7 would fix it, but it is senseless looking for any single magic bullet that will. It certainly won't hurt and every viewer you add is one more viewer than you started with.

the only way to grow the game either with viewership or actual recreational players... is to make it youth friendly
golf on tv is boring for anyone that doesnt play the game
most courses irl arent kid friendly... heck most courses arent even women friendly
when i was a kid i loved playing golf but golf as a kid wasnt "cool" and golf on tv was brutal back in the day like morphine on a slow drip
this is the reason most kids consider golf an old mans game because it gives the impression that it caters to old guys and no one else
some old crusty fart asking rickie fowler to turn his cap around while at augusta... sorry kids dont want stuffiness like that and would rather watch a 40 yr old tony hawk cuz its cooler

and this is coming from me a usual "traditionalist" when it comes to golf lol

THe only way golf will get more popularity in this country is if:

1. Careers are more readily available
2. It somehow becomes more affordable
3. It has to shake the stigma that it's a rich man's game

Agree with you, especially #2. I can't even count the amount of times I have been in a random conversation and when golf comes up someone will say that it is an expensive sport. Expensive is a relative term, but it sure isn't cheap. I know most of us on THP spend a bunch of $ on equipment, well, obviously this can be worked around by buying a used/previous year model equipment but when you talk about the amount of $ to play, it is significant. Greens fees, consumable equipment (balls, gloves, tees, etc), travel costs (for some with no close courses) add up. Maybe some of this relates to your #3 and to some it just has the perception of a rich man's game...there are certainly more expensive hobbies out there....

I would also like to add one more:
#5. more left handed equipment.
....(kidding)....(kinda)

I rather enjoyed reading through this thread. Well thought out post with great follow up.
I too love the idea of a 24/7 type show. People love reality TV and a show about the life of a golfer and his or her prep for a major event would be great.
I am not sure if HBO could get it done. On an adult level with no bleeping, yes. But this might turn a few people off. But one of the other networks might pull it off. (GC with Who is Gmac) I liked the show and I would have liked more of an inside look.
Golf will grow as long as we can keep the youth interested. Someone to look up to would be nice as well. Someone that has an edge but also walks the nice guy line and can flat out play/dominate. Can rory carry it, we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV ratings and more rounds played per capita are probably two different topics. I do think that elevated TV ratings could be a leading indicator to more rounds played but making tour golf more interesting on TV won't change the fact that the game is:
- hard
- time consuming
- expensive
- hard

If we moved the needle on TV ratings via whatever means including some player that casual fans rally round and used that Media to introduce the world to lower cost, less time consuming golf now you are talkin'. But if the game remains the same in those key areas that are difficult for those that are not truly committed to playing, then I don't think higher TV ratings will translate into more rounds played. That challenge includes some aspects that are a challenge for all hobby or leisure time activities like golf. How do you make the changes you need to make to attract more users without alienating your base? While we may all applaud less time needed to play and less cost, we might not all like the detailed changes needed to get there. Who knows? An interesting topic to be sure.

I do agree with most that they are other issues causing the game not to grow. Collectively many things need to change in a hurry. It seems like many of the governing bodies and club makers aren't taking these issues as serious as they should and are now generating ideas.

I still think an HBO 24/7 series could attract the casual sports fan and turn them into someone who watches coverage more than just the big events. From there, it all depends on some of the issues and how they are resolved to see if they will take up the game.

Back