Callaway....Callaway....Callaway RANT

This seems like an instance where your local shop needs to enlist the help of the local rep if possible. He is the guy that will be able to find a set of clubs to get to you. Callaway fills orders to shops and once those orders are filled they don't call one retailer and say send one of your sets to this shop. I bolded the if possible because the rep is going to be interested in servicing his authorized retailers first.

That really surprised me. In my experience their customer service has always been first rate.

This is terrible for HG, but one thing I am confused on is why the club is not dealing with their personal rep that is local. Why are they making the call to a customer service rep? You could make that call yourself and get to the bottom of this in most situations. Im not excusing the actions of the company, because they gave two deadlines and did not honor either one. That is not good service. I do wonder why the person at your course is handing it this way though. They have a local rep they deal with. Even in rural areas, they have someone regionally. That person should have been on the phone and and gotten to the bottom of what is going on. This could have been avoided and fixed rather quickly. Ordering from the company to give this man your business is honorable, but at the same time, it seems that somewhere there is a lost link to proper communication.

The course pro told me yesterday evening that he made the initial contact/order with his local rep. This rep called him the day after the order was placed to tell him they would ship immediately. This was June 2nd & 3rd. Because I don't play this course that often, I gave him my cell number and waited for a call that they had came in.

On the 17th. I stopped by and he said let me call them right now. I waited around a bit and he came back and said the person he just spoke with said the rep should not have said they would ship when he did as they are out of stock, but this is the person who then said, we can get a set to you no later than July 5th. I reluctantly said ok, mainly because this pro was giving us more than top value for the trade in clubs.

I didn't hear anything further so I drove over there on Tuesday the 5th. No clubs. The pro did drop the ball here a bit as he forgot all about that they were to arrive that day. Again, he said, hang on, let me call them. I went out and played nine and when I came in he gave me the sorry, they do not have a single set like you ordered and they will have to wait to have heads shipped from China and then built, so it will not be before the 1st of August.

This was a 14 peice set with black bag/headcovers. He said all along that the 9 peice set was no problem, but that of course is not what she wants or ordered. I emailed Callaway yesterday morning but have not heard back from them. I hate whinners and crybabies, so I hated even posting this, but I needed to vent a little.

I'm leaving it up to the wife as to whether she wants to go back to Indy this weekend and get these clubs down there, or consider another brand altogether. She was sort of set on these clubs as a couple of the ladies she plays with have them and she tried them, and hit them well.

The course pro told me yesterday evening that he made the initial contact/order with his local rep. This rep called him the day after the order was placed to tell him they would ship immediately. This was June 2nd & 3rd. Because I don't play this course that often, I gave him my cell number and waited for a call that they had came in.

On the 17th. I stopped by and he said let me call them right now. I waited around a bit and he came back and said the person he just spoke with said the rep should not have said they would ship when he did as they are out of stock, but this is the person who then said, we can get a set to you no later than July 5th. I reluctantly said ok, mainly because this pro was giving us more than top value for the trade in clubs.

I didn't hear anything further so I drove over there on Tuesday the 5th. No clubs. The pro did drop the ball here a bit as he forgot all about that they were to arrive that day. Again, he said, hang on, let me call them. I went out and played nine and when I came in he gave me the sorry, they do not have a single set like you ordered and they will have to wait to have heads shipped from China and then built, so it will not be before the 1st of August.

This was a 14 peice set with black bag/headcovers. He said all along that the 9 peice set was no problem, but that of course is not what she wants or ordered. I emailed Callaway yesterday morning but have not heard back from them. I hate whinners and crybabies, so I hated even posting this, but I needed to vent a little.

I'm leaving it up to the wife as to whether she wants to go back to Indy this weekend and get these clubs down there, or consider another brand altogether. She was sort of set on these clubs as a couple of the ladies she plays with have them and she tried them, and hit them well.

Thanks for spelling it out. Still not sure why the local rep and the pro are not taking care of this differently, but who knows what is going on. There is definitely a lack of communication from all sides in this ordeal that I would not want to deal with myself.

That really surprised me. In my experience their customer service has always been first rate.

I agree Sean. I played Callaway clubs for between 15 and 20 years and had many dealings with them over the years with zero issues. Everyone has a bad day now and then I think. The world is imperfect. I don't get too worked up really but I have had to weather my wifes disappointment for the last four/five weeks.

Thanks for spelling it out. Still not sure why the local rep and the pro are not taking care of this differently, but who knows what is going on. There is definitely a lack of communication from all sides in this ordeal that I would not want to deal with myself.

I would not expect Callaway to just pull a set from another local course or dealer, but I have wondered if one of the bigbox stores like Golfsmith would have these in their huge warehouse (they show them in stock) and Callaway could have just had a set shipped to us from them......if that makes sense. Fullfill the order, pay Golfsmith or whoever back later. Just what I've thought all along.

Just a bad deal all around HG. At this point I would just cancel the order and go get her clubs. Happy wife = happy husband, least in my house that's the rule of thumb.

Just a bad deal all around HG. At this point I would just cancel the order and go get her clubs. Happy wife = happy husband, least in my house that's the rule of thumb.

I hear that! I have told the course to just forget it. We will go back to Indy and get something in person. I don't know what to expect Callaway to say, but I hope they at least man up and answer my email.

I hear that! I have told the course to just forget it. We will go back to Indy and get something in person. I don't know what to expect Callaway to say, but I hope they at least man up and answer my email.

At this point an apology is neccesary and perhaps some type of gift maybe some balls or something. They did you wrong, not by taking so long, but by lying about how they were coming and they continued to lie and thats unacceptable.

Poor communication by Pro shop, local rep, and sells rep all around, they all get F's for failing to contact you and the chain of supply. I hope Callaway does reply to your email, someone needs to own up to it even though its really all 3 parties involved that are at fault.

Poor communication by Pro shop, local rep, and sells rep all around, they all get F's for failing to contact you and the chain of supply. I hope Callaway does reply to your email, someone needs to own up to it even though its really all 3 parties involved that are at fault.

Just a update. I sent a email last Thursday evening and as of this evening, I have received no reply from Callaway. I hate to be beaten a dead horse here, but the lack of response to this is pretty sad. Pretty much spells the end to future Callaway purchasing in our house down the road. Pretty sad!

Just a update. I sent a email last Thursday evening and as of this evening, I have received no reply from Callaway. I hate to be beaten a dead horse here, but the lack of response to this is pretty sad. Pretty much spells the end to future Callaway purchasing in our house down the road. Pretty sad!

I have to ask. With junk mail folders and everything else, why not just pick up the phone and call them? Im not one to say why you should or where you should spend your money. But with the lack of communication and breakdowns from all parties involved here, why send an email at all? A quick phone call gets this all cleared up in less than 2 minutes most likely. As a customer of theirs for years as you said, you know that their service had been great and for many still is. Speaking to a live person eliminates the issues with junk mail folders, mail not getting through, or any other breakdowns in communication.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend emailing Cally customer service.. I've struck out twice over the last month trying to get answers on my Upro MX, but am simply not interested in calling in to sit in their queue for over an hour..

Sorry about your troubles HG.. I say go big box... I am sure you can find a better deal or a big discount coupon floating around to make it worth your while..

I am in Fort Wayne and travel around a lot so if you wanted me to swing by Bobick's up here or one of the local big box stores I could help out. And would be willing to meet half way.

I have to ask. With junk mail folders and everything else, why not just pick up the phone and call them? Im not one to say why you should or where you should spend your money. But with the lack of communication and breakdowns from all parties involved here, why send an email at all? A quick phone call gets this all cleared up in less than 2 minutes most likely. As a customer of theirs for years as you said, you know that their service had been great and for many still is. Speaking to a live person eliminates the issues with junk mail folders, mail not getting through, or any other breakdowns in communication.

I did just that just this afternoon. After a long (nearly 25 minute wait) I got through to a CS rep. He was able to find where our pro did in fact place the order in early June. He went on to explain, that while the local sales rep took the first order, it was Callaways fault and not the reps as they simply were showing these clubs in stock, when in fact they were not. He could however NOT explain why Callaway did not contact our pro ASAP to let him know the situation. Instead we simply waited 2 weeks and of course no clubs.

At this point the rep today says Callaway continued to drop the ball by giving him yet another ship date when in fact the clubs were still out of stock with no firm restock date in place. We waited another two weeks and of course no clubs and no call from Callaway. The guy goes on to say that they for sure dropped the ball not once, but twice.

At this point, all he could do was say how sorry he was for how the situation was handled. He offered nothing more and I guess I really don't expect anything. Believe it or not, he says the whole issue is over the fact that we ordered these clubs with black headcovers and bag. There is a tan color option and they have those in stock currently but still not the black. He said the whole thing is simply over the color choice.

At this point we have not bought any clubs. We went and demo'd a few sets this week including this very set, but my wife is now just wanting to wait until later in the season if she changes at all. She would have loved to had them and she hits these clubs the best, but she has decided to just wait for now. I guess I got my sorry from Callaway and that is all I really expected I guess.

I am in Fort Wayne and travel around a lot so if you wanted me to swing by Bobick's up here or one of the local big box stores I could help out. And would be willing to meet half way.

Thanks for the offer. We played golf yesterday at Foster Park, just down the road from Bobicks and we did stop in and she hit a few demo clubs. They have these clubs in stock but for right now she has decided to just wait.

Thanks again for the offer!

Glad it worked out. A simple phone call is sometimes all that is ever needed and most of this could have been avoided.

Just another follow up to this post. I received a phone call early this week from the lead customer service rep from Callaway. He was very quick to make a point that he and Callaway is taking 100% of the blame for this situation. He said in no way was our pro at fault in this.

He went on to explain that this set of ladies club have sold better this summer than they expected which quickly depleted their supply. He also added, that he and the sales staff acted slowly in making sure these clubs, once out of stock, were noted as such in their system, which had not been done initially.

I was very upfront with him as well telling him that as of right now, we still have not purchased clubs even though my wife has been demo'ing a couple of other brands. Because of the fact that her current Callaway clubs are registered, as well as many of the Callaway clubs I have recently owned, it told them that she is a valued customer, and one they would like to keep.

He said that he would be sending a set of the clubs as soon as they are back in stock to our home course with no obligation to buy. He also said he would talk in person to our pro to offer some sort of price discount if we decided to buy them.

Today, my wife was at the course playing and our pro handed her a box that came yesterday addressed to him with a note to forward to us (see pic). Both of us were very surprised and I think the gift made my wife feel very happy to see that her favorite brand wanted to make it up to her a little.

As I said before, my experience over the past twenty years with Callaway's customer service has always been top notch and once again, they have made a all out effort to make things right. I'm pretty sure my wife will now want the clubs for sure when they arrive. Just wanted to share this here.

IMGP2878.jpg

Just another follow up to this post. I received a phone call early this week from the lead customer service rep from Callaway. He was very quick to make a point that he and Callaway is taking 100% of the blame for this situation. He said in no way was our pro at fault in this.

He went on to explain that this set of ladies club have sold better this summer than they expected which quickly depleted their supply. He also added, that he and the sales staff acted slowly in making sure these clubs, once out of stock, were noted as such in their system, which had not been done initially.

I was very upfront with him as well telling him that as of right now, we still have not purchased clubs even though my wife has been demo'ing a couple of other brands. Because of the fact that her current Callaway clubs are registered, as well as many of the Callaway clubs I have recently owned, it told them that she is a valued customer, and one they would like to keep.

He said that he would be sending a set of the clubs as soon as they are back in stock to our home course with no obligation to buy. He also said he would talk in person to our pro to offer some sort of price discount if we decided to buy them.

Today, my wife was at the course playing and our pro handed her a box that came yesterday addressed to him with a note to forward to us (see pic). Both of us were very surprised and I think the gift made my wife feel very happy to see that her favorite brand wanted to make it up to her a little.

As I said before, my experience over the past twenty years with Callaway's customer service has always been top notch and once again, they have made a all out effort to make things right. I'm pretty sure my wife will now want the clubs for sure when they arrive. Just wanted to share this here.

IMGP2878.jpg

That's a good gesture from Callaway. Acknowledging that they messed up and trying to keep a loyal customer.

Better steal those i(z)'s before your wife gets em!

That's a good gesture from Callaway. Acknowledging that they messed up and trying to keep a loyal customer.

Better steal those i(z)'s before your wife gets em!

I told her I was pretty sure those were for me......hehe....She gave me a strange look though.

glad they at least gave you some balls, makes it a little better lol

An apology would have been good enough for me, but they sent you balls too! My faith has been restored in Callaway.

Impressive move!! I know it's not right to expect this sort of thing, but frankly, it says a fair bit that they'd throw a few freebies your way.. Not that it really takes anything off their bottom line, but it does say that they understand they blew it and wanted to make it right.

whats weird to me is that normally callaway is known for their customer service. guess it's more of a who you are with them. a lot of pros/club pros i know swear by callaway because they will do anything to fix problems or remedy mistakes. i am personally not a callaway fan because over the years i have noticed a decline in design/quality. we had 2 ft tours break on the same day at practice last semester. and it was just because they can't withstand high head speed

That was a good move on their part. A little saving grace anyway.

Thanks for the update, HG. Very impressive personal touch by Callaway.

Back