Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Ask and ye shall receive!! I have had two VERY full range sessions.. I'm guessing somewhere in the realm of 100-200 balls in each, and a round of golf. Here are the photos of the iron faces.

Worst wear: PW-9-8 blade

IMG_1939.jpg

7-6-5 split cavity

IMG_1942.jpg

4-3 full cavity

IMG_1946.jpg

Not really sure why they came out smallish in size, but here is a full size with the blades... The only actual issue is the small cut in the 8 iron in the back. All other marks are simply finish variations.

scaled.php

looks like someone is hitting some sweet spots!

haha I was looking at the marks and thinking the same thing. It definitely feels pure when I hit these!

the 5I wear is definitely from me lol

I think the best part about the blend of this set, is while they are different looking at the back of the club, the variance when standing on the ball is so minimum. I was really concerned about that transition, and of course when I think of forgiving or full cavity my mind immediately jumps to 'large topline' which is absolutely not the case in this set.

I pulled down the cavity back pw and put it in the set up position and the top line did not have the thick look even at that end of the set, I am impressed. I said earlier in the thread that Nike had never been on my radar before, Nike should definitely be on anyones list who is currently looking for a set of irons. Check them out.

Mark let me preface this by saying I have a pretty severe steep swing. Turf interaction is pretty good. If I come into the ball too steep I will take a huge divot but it does not effect the shot itself. These clubs won't bounce off the turf like a wide soled GI club will.

Good to know CL. As my new teaching pro has remarked, my swing is still pretty steep and I either bounce GI's off the turf or carve them so deep they don't want to come out again (balance problem when trying to kill the ball). These are on my short list so the turf interaction comment is exactly what I'm looking for.

Dang you testers and all your great reviews!! You guys just cost me a lot of money this morning.

Nice purchase Dway! I'm not there yet but the testers may claim another victim here. You know how people talk about car salesmen and how excellent ones are really excellent? I think CL missed his calling selling iron sets to the rest of the world : p

I work very hard on my swing and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback.

Mark - I think the turf interaction is how you would expect, with the blades being the easiest to break through the ground, the split cavities and full cavities falling second.. I think that also has a lot to do with the shaft length and swing path through. I don't know a set of irons that doesn't work that way for me, as long as I am swinging well anyways. -- I'll have more on the wear discussion shortly.

A: Are you sure you're Canadian? That doesn't look much like a slap shot swing to me : p
B: Cheers for the turf comments. I'm starting to find that, for me, this is one of the most important factors and on less excellent sites, testers forget to mention it. So a big hurrah to the lot of you for adding this to your reviews.

Secondly to lastly, I wish Nike would let me order these with the Dynalite XP's.

Lastly, I wonder how many of the JDM only guys will jump on these vs turn up their noses when they find out they're Endo forged...

Went to the range today to give these irons a workout. Warmed up with some 9 to 3 wedges and hit them very well. Started with the PW and aimed at the 110 yard flag. 3/4 PW hit the flag. My next 3 shots were all within 3 feet. This PW is magical. 8-PW were all very nice shots. Not a stinker in the bunch. In fact the only 2 shots that I hit poorly were the first 2 shots with the 3I. I will be taking it to my club dude on Tuesday and letting him take a look at it. I think its a loose weight but I guess it could be some loose epoxy which would be an easy fix. Funny thing is my last 4 shots with the 3I were long and straight. Struggling a little with getting height on my 3-5 irons but they are still giving me good shots. They are just mid flight line drives. I think I just need to work on ball position with these irons. Been a long time since I hit a 3I but I'm surprised at the distance I'm getting when I flush the 3. I hit a Mashie and then a 3I today. The 3I was only 5 yards behind the Mashie. Had some fun at the end with the boys. Had my 4 year old yell out colored flags to shoot for but I would already have an iron in my hand. So sometimes it would be the correct iron and some times it would be a club long or short. Made 7/10 greens doing this which was a lot of fun. Keeping the ball low with these irons is very easy. Normal shots with these are towering with the exception of the 3-5. I think the PX graphite is the perfect complement to these irons. So far I could not be happier. Had quite a few guys ask me what shafts I had in these. Looking to play after work early in the week to see if I can keep the momentum up

I played Candler Hills up in Ocala today and their range was closed too. I'm dying to get these out on the range. Turf interaction is great with these clubs in my opinion. 8-PW I come in a little steeper and these just cut/glide right through the turf. I don't know if any of the other testers have noticed this, but when I flush one of these the feeling is of absolute nothingness (this is with 4-PW). It's just perfect. I don't feel or hear anything and I watch the ball travel perfectly on it's line and then look down and see the divot I took and it kind of shocks me, I didn't even feel the club taking the divot. Also, the 8-PW are lethal for bump and run shots. I like to get the ball on the ground and rolling like a putt as fast as possible and these are very consistent. I've found with GI's sometimes it will come off a little hotter than usual or with more check than usual, but certainly not with these. I've only ever played 5-PW sets and I haven't used the three iron except for some punches so I don't have much on that club yet, but the 4 iron has become one of my go to clubs. I'm finding it very simple to just smoke this thing dead straight or with a tiny draw. I feel bad that I don't have more feedback, but I'm just getting home so if anyone has any questions or anything they'd like me to try out on the course, please let me know. I have found it a little difficult to fade these clubs for some reason. Each time I've tried playing fades with them I hold the clubface open too long and hit a push off the toe. It's just something with the weighting of the clubheads and no range time to get acclimated to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played Candler Hills up in Ocala today and their range was closed too. I'm dying to get these out on the range. Turf interaction is great with these clubs in my opinion. 8-PW I come in a little steeper and these just cut/glide right through the turf. I don't know if any of the other testers have noticed this, but when I flush one of these the feeling is of absolute nothingness (this is with 4-PW). It's just perfect. I don't feel or hear anything and I watch the ball travel perfectly on it's line and then look down and see the divot I took and it kind of shocks me, I didn't even feel the club taking the divot. Also, the 8-PW are lethal for bump and run shots. I like to get the ball on the ground and rolling like a putt as fast as possible and these are very consistent. I've found with GI's sometimes it will come off a little hotter than usual or with more check than usual, but certainly not with these. I've only ever played 5-PW sets and I haven't used the three iron except for some punches so I don't have much on that club yet, but the 4 iron has become one of my go to clubs. I'm finding it very simple to just smoke this thing dead straight or with a tiny draw. I feel bad that I don't have more feedback, but I'm just getting home so if anyone has any questions or anything they'd like me to try out on the course, please let me know. I have found it a little difficult to fade these clubs for some reason. Each time I've tried playing fades with them I hold the clubface open too long and hit a push off the toe. It's just something with the weighting of the clubheads and no range time to get acclimated to it though.

I'm surprised that you included the 4I in your statement of feeling nothingness. I would agree 5-PW that these have an amazing feel/sound to them. But for me the 3 & 4I are completely different. They are nice irons but they have a weird almost hollow feel to them. I don't really mind it though as I am willing to give up feel for forgiveness in longer irons. Great update F2G

I'm surprised that you included the 4I in your statement of feeling nothingness. I would agree 5-PW that these have an amazing feel/sound to them. But for me the 3 & 4I are completely different. They are nice irons but they have a weird almost hollow feel to them. I don't really mind it though as I am willing to give up feel for forgiveness in longer irons. Great update F2G

The 4 will certainly let you know when you've mishit it, but I can't get over the feeling/sound of these sticks when pured.

Also, I did par the longest par 5 in the state of FL with no driver in the bag. 662 yards uphill and was actually into the wind. Two perfect three woods, a solid 6 iron, 58* to 12' feet and a lucky putt that did the full 360 deal and ended up staying in the cup. I was pretty stoked. It was crazy to hit two perfect three woods and still have to layup. Haha

Played today, but didn't have the same crisp swing as I took to the course yesterday. I scrambled in with 43/39=82 and I attribute that to a lot of slightly errant iron shots, and probably the most uneven, awkward stance shots I've ever had (in the fairway mind you).. It was just one of those days where if there was a hill, I'd find it and my ball would hang up on it. I am also fully prepared to admit that my accuracy while swinging from bad lies goes out the window (aka hand --> face).

I was hitting some of the irons fat, and hit a couple on the toe. As usual though, my well struck irons had awesome flight and a slight draw, with all kinds of feedback coming off the club. My best shot was a 179 yard 6 iron that I hit with a draw around a sand trap to a pin sitting on the left side of the green. Flew the flag by 4 feet, and it stopped and pulled back slightly to about three feet. I still really get a kick out of how clean these clubs hit through the ball when solid contact is made.

Bits and Pieces:

-- Not exactly relevant to the quality of the swing, but I haven't gone a round yet where at least one person, if not two people have commented on how great these clubs look. I attribute it to how much I think :nike: has stepped forward this year. I personally was not a fan of the look or feel of last years models, but man, I am in love with the way these look

-- I will be returning to the range this week for a few sessions, and am probably going to avoid the Club Championships this coming weekend in favour of a few relaxed rounds.. I expect to provide full reports on the progress, as well as potentially taking out the Mizuno's for a direct comparison

-- The grips remain solid. After that first night of continuously hitting the same club in the heat definitely caused some wetness and slippage, but since then, on course there has been zero issues with that. It was 95+ with humidex pushing it well over 100, and I had no trouble.

-- I used the 3 iron off three different tees (two par 4s and a par 3) and while I didn't hit it well on the first two, the third hole was really solid. These are shorter, narrower holes which are around 325-340 yards. A well struck 3 iron down the center puts me in wedge distance, and while my execution wasn't awesome today, I think it will prove to be awesome in the long run.

Great reviews! These just went on sale for 650 bucks. Can't wait till mine come in! Looking at the pix steel or would like to try the KBS in these. Nike dropped 300 bucks off the price. Great deal at golf town. I imagine they are gonna move a lot of these.

Guys and gals, sorry to report that my testing won't be able to start for a while. I'm just leaving for vegas to attend a wedding (stupid scottish people!), and uk customs haven't been kind to me this weekend, as my irons are still with them. Hopefully I'm not letting you guys down too much on this. So I'll be trying to keep up, and hopefully ready to add a fresh perspective in just over a week! Keep up the good work guys, ive got a lot to live up to!

Played today, but didn't have the same crisp swing as I took to the course yesterday. I scrambled in with 43/39=82 and I attribute that to a lot of slightly errant iron shots, and probably the most uneven, awkward stance shots I've ever had (in the fairway mind you).. It was just one of those days where if there was a hill, I'd find it and my ball would hang up on it. I am also fully prepared to admit that my accuracy while swinging from bad lies goes out the window (aka hand --> face).

I was hitting some of the irons fat, and hit a couple on the toe. As usual though, my well struck irons had awesome flight and a slight draw, with all kinds of feedback coming off the club. My best shot was a 179 yard 6 iron that I hit with a draw around a sand trap to a pin sitting on the left side of the green. Flew the flag by 4 feet, and it stopped and pulled back slightly to about three feet. I still really get a kick out of how clean these clubs hit through the ball when solid contact is made.

Bits and Pieces:

-- Not exactly relevant to the quality of the swing, but I haven't gone a round yet where at least one person, if not two people have commented on how great these clubs look. I attribute it to how much I think :nike: has stepped forward this year. I personally was not a fan of the look or feel of last years models, but man, I am in love with the way these look

-- I will be returning to the range this week for a few sessions, and am probably going to avoid the Club Championships this coming weekend in favour of a few relaxed rounds.. I expect to provide full reports on the progress, as well as potentially taking out the Mizuno's for a direct comparison

-- The grips remain solid. After that first night of continuously hitting the same club in the heat definitely caused some wetness and slippage, but since then, on course there has been zero issues with that. It was 95+ with humidex pushing it well over 100, and I had no trouble.

-- I used the 3 iron off three different tees (two par 4s and a par 3) and while I didn't hit it well on the first two, the third hole was really solid. These are shorter, narrower holes which are around 325-340 yards. A well struck 3 iron down the center puts me in wedge distance, and while my execution wasn't awesome today, I think it will prove to be awesome in the long run.

I agree with the 3I off the tee. This club was made to hit stingers all day.

Regarding the 3i off the tee: are any of the other testers able to hit this club really well off the tee and not too great off of the deck? I had mixed results so far but have been focusing on the deck and not really hitting off the tee at the range. That is one of the reasons I was so excited about this: the hope of being able to put a 3i consistently 225 or so off the tee down the FW.

I can't really comment on that. My 3I has something that goes up and down in the shaft as you swing it. Kind of an annoyance and sometimes I can hit it and sometimes I can't. I will say that I've had success off the tee box so far and it's been a mixed bag off the deck.

3 irons are just not easy to hit for mid handicappers. Hence why so many dont even bother and get a hybrid!

3 irons are just not easy to hit for mid handicappers. Hence why so many dont even bother and get a hybrid!

In general, I definitely agree with you. But for us this is required as part of testing so I am giving it my all to hit a dang 3 iron!

Regarding the 3i: after about a week of struggling with this club (and the 4i) off the deck I asked a good friend for help. I was hitting them great off the tee, just not well off the deck. I can post his tips if you'd like but I'm sure our swings are different so it may or may not be appropriate for you guys. Nevertheless, it has helped me immensely and I am now hitting the 3 and 4 great off the deck as well as off the tee.

I don't want to get into it too much, as I have a (much needed) large update coming this afternoon.

3 irons aren't easy to hit for anyone with a slower swing speed, but this thread is about reviewing the 3-PW set of Nike VR Pro Combos and not about debating using 3 iron or 3 hybrid.

I can't really comment on that. My 3I has something that goes up and down in the shaft as you swing it. Kind of an annoyance and sometimes I can hit it and sometimes I can't. I will say that I've had success off the tee box so far and it's been a mixed bag off the deck.

In general, I definitely agree with you. But for us this is required as part of testing so I am giving it my all to hit a dang 3 iron!

Regarding the 3i: after about a week of struggling with this club (and the 4i) off the deck I asked a good friend for help. I was hitting them great off the tee, just not well off the deck. I can post his tips if you'd like but I'm sure our swings are different so it may or may not be appropriate for you guys. Nevertheless, it has helped me immensely and I am now hitting the 3 and 4 great off the deck as well as off the tee.

I don't want to get into it too much, as I have a (much needed) large update coming this afternoon.

3 irons aren't easy to hit for anyone with a slower swing speed, but this thread is about reviewing the 3-PW set of Nike VR Pro Combos and not about debating using 3 iron or 3 hybrid.

I think a big part of this review IS about the 3 hybrid vs the 3iron.. At least for me, it was the one major element of this set that was outside of my realm. I have played blades for years, have played split cavities, muscle backs, GE irons, but I have never played a full cavity. At least not in the last 15 years.

With that, the success of a hybrid for me ends up being outweighed by my tendency to hook the hell out of it, and this has become a huge issue on three holes of my home course. Do I give up on the guaranteed flush hit to avoid hitting behind the ball, or do I give up on the ability to hit a straight ball 90% of the time?

I think it's interesting that some talk about having more success with their hybrids because I've never really felt that way.. Certainly distances are met with ease, but accuracy in regards to target center has ALWAYS been an issue for me with a hybrid. I think Nike has done an excellent job of providing an alternative to the hybrid, at least for lower handicappers (if my handicap is in fact defined as 'lower').

Someone asked about wear a few days ago so I wanted to provide some pics. Sorry it has taken a few days, I didn't know I could post pics with Tapatalk or it would have been sooner. Other than the face of the PW, which only has a couple marks, all faces are in excellent condition still. This is why I photo'd the backs of the clubs, which show some bag chatter. Keep in mind, I practice and/or play everyday, so these are constantly being used. Also, I typically clean my clubs after every shot just so you know.

The pics are as follows:
1st - PW, 9i, 8i (faces)
2nd - 9i (back)
3rd - 5i back
4th - 4i back

I have other pics, they just don't show any wear. I can post them if anyone would like.

I will have an update soon as well, as I have played the last 3 days.

I am seeing the same as Jeff concerning wear. Few guys looked at them on Saturday and asked if I had hit them yet....yes, they are holding up that well so far.

I am not seeing any wear at all. A few grass stains but thats it.

I shot these 27 holes using only my 8 Nike VR Pro Combos 3-PW and a Mizuno Bettinardi BC-6 putter. I had nothing else in the bag. My usual Drive averages about 225-230 and once in a great while I can get as long as 260. It was interesting what I could accomplish with no driver and no woods. All the yardages were from my SG5 to center of green .The green or putt distances are a guestimate. Here are the results:

Hole 1 397yds par 4: 3i off the tee left fairway 207yds. 196 left. 4i 185 to just left of green. PW to 6' Putt for par

Hole 2 127 yds par 3: PW to 11 feet 2putt for par

Hole3 527 yds par5: 3i off tee 217 to left first cut. 334 left. 3i 192 to left fairway 146 left. 9i over green 10 yds. PW to 6” putt for par.

Hole4 314 yds par 4: 3i 202 to center FW 116 left. PW to green 23’ 2 putt for par

Hole5 337 yds par 4: 3i 178(ouch) to right rough. 173 left, 5i left of green 22 left PW to 21 feet. 3 putt for Dbl.

Hole6 370 yds par 4: 3i 211 center of fairway 161 left. 9i to 20' 2 putt for par.

Hole7 393 yds par 4: 3i 164(ouch) right rough 241 left. 31 194 to right fw 62 left. PW to 8 ft. 2 putt for bogey

Hole8 174 yds par 3: 8i to 6’ 2 putt for par

Hole9 535 yds par5: 3i 219 center FW 321 left 3i 209 right FW 114 left PW to 23 ‘ 2 putt par

Hole10 405 yds par 4: 3i 202 left FW 216 left 3i 209 to green 26’ 2 putt par

Hole11 375 yds par 4: 4i 191 to right FW 187 left. 4i 20yds past green (Bounce) PW to 11’ 2 putt bogey

Hole12 127 ydspar 3: PW to 12’ 2 putt par

Hole13 280 yds par 4: PW 147 to center FW 138 left. PW to 5’ putt for bird

Hole14 387 yds par 4: 4i 193 to left FW 187 left 5i to front of green(fringe) 26’ 2 putt for par

Hole15 474 yds par5: 3i 223 to left FW 263 left 3i 161(ouch) right rough 137 left PW to 19’ 2 putt for par

Hole16 406 yds par 4: 3i 199 to right rough 219 left 4i 181to middle FW 41 left PW to 18’ 2 putt for bogey

Hole17 170 yds par 3: 7i 181 right of green 23 left PW to 16’ 2 putt bogey

Hole18 515 yds par5: 3i 213 middle FW 322 left 3i 188 right went for a swim drop 143 left PW to green 54’ 3 putt for double.

I was absolutely stoked that w/o a driver I was 7 over par. If I had not blew that par 5 18th I would have shot my best round this year. I decided to go another 9 holes and see what would happen. Using a bit of management, I figured I could shoot a better back nine, but instead I got crazy and shot a 42. (couple of lost balls.) This was a long iron, short iron event for sure and if I can figure out that 3i I will be golden. The blades are the best irons I have ever hit. EVER. Period. The confidence level is high and what I did on the short 13th was a lesson in management as well. The ouches are bad mishits that sting. I will not give up on the long irons though. I will take my driver next round and that should allow for some shots with the mid-irons. I seemed to be hit and miss with spin control with the blades and I am sure that is just me. When I did connect well, they checked up very nicely. I must add that the course was in great shape except a couple of sun drenched holes that were very hard and bouncy. I love these sticks and can’t thank THP and Nike enough for allowing me this opportunity. I am trying to talk my GF into coming out with me this week to video a round. Hopefully I can get some good shots of these beautiful irons in action.

Last edited:
Great stuff BW. I agree about the blades.

Beowulf - now that is a great test you did and speaks volumes!!! Outstanding idea and congratulations on the result; impressive my friend.

Back