Wilson Ci9 vs Di11 - looking to upgrade

JiffishHank

Reaction score
Handicap
Quick summary: I've been golfing for about two years or so and have been using a really old set handed down to me from my grandpa. Looking at the trade in value, the brand wasn't even listed, so I'm sure that these irons are extremely old and that they are hurting my game. So I desperately need to look for an upgrade.

Currently I'm around a 25ish handicap, and this is basically playing without a driver - irons off of almost every tee. I feel like if I could get some new irons and then a driver after, I would be in great shape.

I'm basically set on Wilson Staff. I've read that the Di11's are essentially the most forgiving clubs out there, but I want to think long-term as well. I won't be able to buy a new set for a few years after this. Therefore, I feel like the Di11's would be more useful now but not quite as useful later on when compared to the Ci9's? I currently can't work the ball at all due to still learning as well as having a crappy set of clubs, but I definitely want to learn.

Finally, the price difference between the two sets is around $200, with the Di11's being listed as $500 at Dick's and the Ci9's at $300. I am on a tight budget but will spend a little extra money now if necessary.

I'm unable to try these clubs out as well, but they have both gotten great reviews so I have no doubt in my mind that I won't be disappointed with either.

Jiffish,

I would really try and test these/get fitted. There is a review ongoing about the Di11 irons and people from all handicaps seem to be loving these. Good luck

A couple of things here, first welcome to THP. As for getting better and starting to "work the ball" that is something that does not have to be learned, but it is also something that can be done with the Di11's. As for growing into the irons, I'm currently gaming the Di11's and playing off a 11.5 HC, so take that for what you will. They are a great set of irons, and I think if you check out the Di11 thread you will find a ton of helpful info, including comparisons to the Ci9's.

I'm basically set on Wilson Staff. I've read that the Di11's are essentially the most forgiving clubs out there, but I want to think long-term as well. I won't be able to buy a new set for a few years after this. Therefore, I feel like the Di11's would be more useful now but not quite as useful later on when compared to the Ci9's? I currently can't work the ball at all due to still learning as well as having a crappy set of clubs, but I definitely want to learn.

Finally, the price difference between the two sets is around $200, with the Di11's being listed as $500 at Dick's and the Ci9's at $300. I am on a tight budget but will spend a little extra money now if necessary.

Can't help with your choice but if you look up Hurricane Golf you will find great prices on WS as they lost their Wilson account and are selling out at ridiculous prices, no affiliation but did buy a driver from them really cheap and am very happy with it, not sure what they have left but last time I looked they were selling Di11s still.

Can't help with your choice but if you look up Hurricane Golf you will find great prices on WS as they lost their Wilson account and are selling out at ridiculous prices, no affiliation but did buy a driver from them really cheap and am very happy with it, not sure what they have left but last time I looked they were selling Di11s still.

Just checked out their prices.

FG Tour 3-PW: 399.99
Di11 4-PW & GW: 339.99

You can work the ball just fine with Di11s. Dont let the forgiveness of a club make you think that down the road as you advance in your game, you wont be able to play different shots. At your stage, you should look for the forgiveness. It will help you enjoy the game just a little bit more. I dont think as you become more advanced, you will definitely want to change and I certainly dont believe in the thoughts that some have about getting irons "to grow into". Go with what you think will help the most and right now that appears to be the Di11s.

Quick summary: I've been golfing for about two years or so and have been using a really old set handed down to me from my grandpa. Looking at the trade in value, the brand wasn't even listed, so I'm sure that these irons are extremely old and that they are hurting my game. So I desperately need to look for an upgrade.

Currently I'm around a 25ish handicap, and this is basically playing without a driver - irons off of almost every tee. I feel like if I could get some new irons and then a driver after, I would be in great shape.

I'm unable to try these clubs out as well, but they have both gotten great reviews so I have no doubt in my mind that I won't be disappointed with either.

Get the most forgiving set of clubs you can get your hands on. There is not a shot in the world that you can't hit with the Di11's. At one point while I was playing them I hit every shot imaginable. Working the ball is so over rated it's incredible. 95% of your shots should be played straight. At your handicap, and please don't take this wrong, you should not be concerning yourself with working the ball. Hit it straight and watch your handicap fall. These irons are top 3 irons that I've ever played. They are that good. Spend the extra and be very happy for years with these.

I would highly recommend hitting them, I read up a lot on these and they seemed perfect for me, until i tried them, I just did not like them at all...

I appreciate all of the comments, thanks guys. I've never heard of Hurricane Golf. Just to make sure, this IS in fact a legit site? If so, those prices are fantastic - exactly what I was looking for. I'm on a very tight budget so that was one of the main reasons why I started to consider the Ci9's over the Di11's. But from all the advice, it looks like I'll definitely be going for the Di11's now.

Again, I appreciated all of the help I've gotten here. This is by far the best online golfing community by far.

I appreciate all of the comments, thanks guys. I've never heard of Hurricane Golf. Just to make sure, this IS in fact a legit site? If so, those prices are fantastic - exactly what I was looking for. I'm on a very tight budget so that was one of the main reasons why I started to consider the Ci9's over the Di11's. But from all the advice, it looks like I'll definitely be going for the Di11's now.

Again, I appreciated all of the help I've gotten here. This is by far the best online golfing community by far.

Yes hurricane golf is legit. I have used it before

Tap tap taparoo

I think if you do a search, there are a bunch of threads showing they are legit

I've hit the dI 11 six iron demo a lot lately, and I agree with all the above. The only thing I haven't been able to do with these is hit a really low knock down that stays under the tree line. The ball just want's to go high and straight. It doesn't seem to balloon, or just get hung up in the air, though. I'm pretty close to getting a set of these myself, just have to try one more thing today before pulling the trigger.

I've hit the dI 11 six iron demo a lot lately, and I agree with all the above. The only thing I haven't been able to do with these is hit a really low knock down that stays under the tree line. The ball just want's to go high and straight. It doesn't seem to balloon, or just get hung up in the air, though. I'm pretty close to getting a set of these myself, just have to try one more thing today before pulling the trigger.
The offset on the club makes it hard to hit low shots. It's something I haven't practiced because I hit a different style iron. It's a very underrated iron.

The offset on the club makes it hard to hit low shots. It's something I haven't practiced because I hit a different style iron. It's a very underrated iron.

underrated and a STEAL at the $340 price that was listed now

Another +1 to the Di11's. They are a great looking and more importantly great performing set of irons.

You're not kiddin! I intentionally bladed a few and they still went pretty high , that's not really a bad thing though.:D

You're not kiddin! I intentionally bladed a few and they still went pretty high , that's not really a bad thing though.:D
It's good if you struggle hitting it low, if you don't, better be sure it's got the right shaft in it, or it's going to be like the movie UP... balloons anyone?

underrated and a STEAL at the $340 price that was listed now
I missed the price...wow, that is a steal and a half!

I agree with everyone on this,the Di11's definantly look like the way to go but,having said that i do suggest that you demo them both first.I know you said that you cant and believe me as a HUGE Wilson Staff fan i know how hard their clubs are to find and how nerveracking it is.But,i bet if you do some research you can find them somewhere close that will allow you to demo them(edwin Watts carries all W/S equipment,you can see if 1 is near you)and,besides you REALLY should get fitted also.It would be like buying shoes without seeing if they fit first.I have been gaming my Ci9's for 10 months now and i absolutely love them and,cant think of 1 bad thing to say about them.I have demoed the Di11's a bunch of times and all of the great reviews and hype is 100% true,they are easily the most forgiving irons i have ever hit and the 7-gw scoring clubs are unbeleivably great.Both sets are great and very different at the same time,the Di11's are easy to hit and ULTRA forgiving while the Ci9's take a more consistent swing,have a lower ballflight and are less forgiving.I would never worry about learning to work the ball or getting irons to work the ball.Almost all shots are straight shots and when an ametuer tries to "work" the ball it usually doesnt end up going well at all.The Di11's can work the ball as much as you will ever need.In my opinion the 2 most overrated and missused phrases in golf are 1)"working the ball" 2)"forged irons feels better",both are ridiculous in my opinion.Demo the DXI driver before you buy one if you can,its a great diver,good luck.

Back