Which came first?

Merideus

Reaction score
I was wondering which came first for you guys/gals, actually playing well and having your confidence built from your playing success or confidence that you could play well and then going and actually doing it?

I don't think I follow but I would say my confidence came from working in my swig and actually trusting it. I have found that web I have a bad shot I know exactly why it happened and can fix it for the next shot

The OP's question is entirely predicated on whether somebody plays the game well.

I never thought I had the ability to make biridies and pars, until I actually started making a few of them.

The chicken or the egg?

thechosen1 said:
I don't think I follow but I would say my confidence came from working in my swig and actually trusting it. I have found that web I have a bad shot I know exactly why it happened and can fix it for the next shot

Sorry if I was a bit cryptic I didn't want to be excessively long winded as I can tend to be lol.

To use your response what made you start trusting your swing? Was it the results it was producing or the fact you were working on it?

I think once I worked hard and saw a few good swings I realized I could start scoring 90s then 80s.. The more I work at it the more confident I get

Tap tap taparoo

At each level of my game; 90s, 80s, 70s and sub par something just clicked. Once I broke each threshold I had the knowledge I could do it. My confidence grew with each round. The more I played the better I got the more my confidence grew. Now I feed off of good play. If I'm play well is just keeps rolling along. The knowledge that I can shoot low scores builds my confidence.
Everyone has a different threshold, some play bogie golf and are very satisfied. Their confidence and drive are based on what they feel is the best they can do. To them bogie golf is good. I font believe you have to shoot numbers to gain that confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is easy, lots of good repetitions build confidence. I see guys with + handicaps at the club practicing, they don't hit a dozen shots or a hundred, they hit the same shot, whether it is a six iron or a seven foot putt, over and over for hours and they do it day after day. They are becoming more confident with each repetition.

Me? I am really good at escaping from the trees because I get lots of reps so I am really confident when in the woods. :D

I guess playing well, because I was about 5 years old, and confidence wasn't really an issue. I was 5, if I could get the ball to go in the hole, it was a miracle. So that lead to confidence.

Confidence is huge for me.

Confidence for me. I gain confidence by repetition at the range. If I know I can hit the shot, then I have better results.

I was wondering which came first for you guys/gals, actually playing well and having your confidence built from your playing success or confidence that you could play well and then going and actually doing it?
I felt I could be pretty decent before I played. I got more confidence after I got better from playing a lot. I got even more after taking lessons & seeing results. Beating a few friends, helps too!

For me it was after practicing/playing well when I became more confident I'm my golf game. I find myself losing confidence when I play poorly but try to remind myself that confidence is half the game.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Went out and played, hit just about every tree, bunker, water hazard and OB there was, learned from that, got better and built confidence as I did.

Like Bobby Jones said, "We learn more from our failures than we ever will from our successes."
And the only way to fail at something is to try to do it in the first place.

I think once I worked hard and saw a few good swings I realized I could start scoring 90s then 80s.. The more I work at it the more confident I get

Tap tap taparoo

+1 Absolutely. I think alot of gold is confidence. Whether that comes from your swing, your score, your clothing, it doesnt really matter. When I hit a few good tee shots in the beginning of a round, I know it will be a pretty good round. If my tee shots are wayward on the first few holes I can tell it is going to be a struggle for me, but sometimes when you still grind out a good round when your swing is off, it is more rewarding.

Since I began playing golf 7 years ago I have had a what I would consider a terrible mental game. A friend that I play with frequently who also happens to be the best player I know always says that puts as much effort into their game as I do that I get very little reward also that for a swing that looks as good as mine I get very poor results. He attributed a great deal of this lack of enjoyment and results to the fact that I lack confidence in my swing. Meaning after a single bad shot I start to analyze my swing and start tweaking it. He always said that you need to be more confident that you are going to hit a good shot and just swing the club to which my response was always that I needed to hit the good shots first to build the confidence that I could hit good shots.

After last season I made a commitment to try and improve my mental approach to game and made my only goal for this season be the ability to play the entire season and enjoy playing whether I played good or bad. So far I have been successful and I have been shooting better scores to boot.

I had confidence before i actually had the scores to back it up.I guess it came from knocking down good shots in big situations and knowing i could do it,that was HUGE.All that was needed then was consistency and i knew the lack of consistency was just a lack of concentration and focus on EVERY shot.I dont know about you guys but,my biggest problem is concentrating and focusing on all shots and not just the big shots that i need to save a par,get a birdie or stay in a match.I tend to get in a hurry on basic shots and just walk up and swing instead of taking my time and focusing on that shot and that shot only.I read in a golf magazine about how all of the pros have a routine for every shot from teeing off to tapping in and,how every golfer needs a regular routine.I made myself start each shot with a routine and focus on the shot at hand.When i started doing that the consistency came almost immediately,along with better scores.I still get in a hurry sometimes tho and,hit an unbelievably stupid shot.I dont do it nearly as often as i used to and when i do take a bonehead shot i do my best to put it out of my mind before i hit the next one.

Tap tap taparoo

Bingo. Thats me as well. And when you find something that helps your game while at the range, it really is a confidence builder.

I just played golf. As far as I remember (it was a long time ago), I got down to the high 90's within a year or so, but I really never did anything but just play. Hit a couple of good shots and then you know you can do it, so you just think about why they were better than the other ones, then work in that direction. I know that's a bit vague, but it's basically how I learned the game. I've never done any serious practice except short game chipping and pitching. Even putting seemed to come pretty easy for me. During the mid 80's I spent a lot of hours at a local par 3 course to work on irons and short game too. That's where I taught myself to play bunker shots.

I would say it starts with results and once you get them your always confident and if you hit some bad shots you know what your capable of and know its only a matter of time before you fix it and get the numbers you want once again.

Confidence doesn't come from winning, winning comes from confidence and confidence comes from hard work.

I believe Vijay Singh said this and I believe it has probably been said before him but I believe it is an extremely true statement. Think most pros in any sport would agree with it.

Confidence doesn't come from winning, winning comes from confidence and confidence comes from hard work.

I believe Vijay Singh said this and I believe it has probably been said before him but I believe it is an extremely true statement. Think most pros in any sport would agree with it.

I've won plenty, I have plenty of confidence, but I've never worked hard at the game in my life. Sort of puts off your contention that hard work is the only way. Golf is the only sport which I have ever been better than average at.

Just woke up one day and could hit it.

Back