Mental Health: Make it a Priority

Yessir. I'm dealing with it right now. I've struggled with mental health since I was about 11. I can get REALLY dark and it scares the sh!t out of my family. I'm in a funk right now that I'm having a really hard time breaking out of (and I always do). It just sucks so bad. It's affecting every single aspect of life, right now, and it's getting to the "really not cool" point. :(
You're talking about it, which is good! As always, open ears are available if you feel like it.

After my time in ICU last Christmas week, where I was given my last rights, but woke up unexpectedly a few hours later, I have noticed, as other's in my family have, that I tend to forget things sometimes. Little things.

Talking with doctors, they say this is not surprising after such an ordeal. That my memory loss should go away in time, as part of my long term rehab.

There's no one particular aspect to it. I will forget both short term, and long term stuff.

A week ago I met with relatives I have not seen in years. They noticed some differences in my personality. We wrote it off as just being tired after a quick 2K mile drive. Still their words made me think.

Next month I will have series of tests done to see what lingering issues I might have. Both mental, and physical.

I've never been one to get frustrated over little things, but I now have a better understanding of other's mental health issues.
Good to hear you're reacting to this! I just had an MRI to see that my headaches were nothing bad happening inside and finding out either way is always the first step.

You're talking about it, which is good! As always, open ears are available if you feel like it.

Good to hear you're reacting to this! I just had an MRI to see that my headaches were nothing bad happening inside and finding out either way is always the first step.
Appreciate you, my friend. 👊

Yessir. I'm dealing with it right now. I've struggled with mental health since I was about 11. I can get REALLY dark and it scares the sh!t out of my family. I'm in a funk right now that I'm having a really hard time breaking out of (and I always do). It just sucks so bad. It's affecting every single aspect of life, right now, and it's getting to the "really not cool" point. :(
Don't hesitate to talk to a professional and look into if medication could help. No reason to "gut it out", you're too important.

Don't hesitate to talk to a professional and look into if medication could help. No reason to "gut it out", you're too important.

Agreed. Nobody wants to be on medications and being on as few as possible is better overall. However, it's important to remember that mental health involves the functioning of an organ - your brain. If the organ isn't doing what it's supposed to do, medication may help it function correctly.

That's the part that I'm the worst at............

I've been......skeptical(?) of the profession. I'm not sure that I would be "receptive", I guess, is the best way that I can put it. The medication thing scares the sh!t out of me, too. :(

I've always been a "suffer in silence" type. In fact, I've done it so much for so long that even I don't know when it's getting "too dark". When my family notices, then I know it's getting "bad". They're noticing.........:(

I've been......skeptical(?) of the profession. I'm not sure that I would be "receptive", I guess, is the best way that I can put it. The medication thing scares the sh!t out of me, too. :(

I've always been a "suffer in silence" type. In fact, I've done it so much for so long that even I don't know when it's getting "too dark". When my family notices, then I know it's getting "bad". They're noticing.........:(
First of all, I 100% understand where you're coming from, so I hope you know this is coming from nowhere but a place of wanting the best for you. That said my dude, go talk to someone! Your experience is so stereotypical of us stubborn males that don't want to admit we need help with anything (not just in this situation). If it were anybody else, would you say they should suffer through something on their own that there is pptentialy significant help with at their fingertips? Why do you deserve less?

I get that medication isn't the answer for everyone, and maybe talking to someone would be better for you. I worked a long time in mental health and my wife is a psychiatrist, and the thought of medication personally still has a stigma attached for me personal, as absurd as I know it is. Don't let that get in your way of feeling better, if that is part of it for you.

On both of those fronts, I TOTALLY hear what you're saying. Going through stretches where things just feel overwhelming and/or hopeless and/or just crappy is awful. I'm glad that, because you've been there before, you know it'll get better, even if riding out these stretches can really suck. I tend to have 1-2 stretches, especially around Jan-March, that are just really, really crappy. Keep moving forward, keep showing up. It's ok to be dealing with stuff. It's valid. And I'm sorry you're going through it right now.

As for talking to someone and/or going on something daily medication-wise ... So I put off going on something daily for like a decade. I decided at the time that I wanted to just deal with it myself (I recognize this was probably a mistake), and overtime I did learn to understand it better (meaning, I got better at being able to know when I was actually upset with something compared to when my body's chemistry was just messing with me and TELLING my brain I was upset). I also took something daily when I was like 10 (which I don't even remember) and apparently didn't have the best time on it, as I'm told.

But a few months ago I began taking something daily to address it — I finally got tired of going through those stretches I mentioned, and even dealing with small stuff on a daily basis — and it has really helped. It of course hasn't 100% solved anything, but many situations are sort of easier than they used to be (like the water isn't as deep now, if that makes sense) and it's easier to say "hey, it's all good, it'll be fine." If you'd like any further details, I'd be more than happy to detail what I've taken and some of what I learned about finding what works for you, etc. etc.

I don't currently talk with someone regularly, but 1. I am comforted knowing that's always an option and 2. I know MANY people close to me who are, and they are VERY thankful and positive toward the entire experience, to a 100% degree. They all recommend it, and it's something I may start soon. Sort of like this thread, it can be incredibly therapeutic to simply get some emotions/thoughts out into the open with someone who knows how to guide you through that experience (I talked with someone in college).

One possible option to sort of dip your toe into those waters, if you want, could be Better Help, which allows you to have these meetings via video conference from home and with more flexible hours. It just makes it a bit easier to manage appointments and what-not. I've had a few friends try it and they like it, with the only note they've given being that you the first person you get matched up with might not be perfect FOR YOU, but it's OK, you can try several people if you want. Some friends really liked the first person they were connected with, others went to the second or third and were happy they did. Just an option that might be easier to schedule, etc.

Sometimes our body chemistry messes with us, and taking something and/or talking with someone is simply an attempt to manage it or let the steam out, in a positive way. Taking the step can be overwhelming, I know, or it at least was for me for a time. It's always nice knowing the options are there.

For real — like, FOR REAL — message me 24/7 about anything.

Sitting here in the ER because my oldest (25) took a bottle of pills. He is acting like it's just another day and no big deal that he took them. His mom is sure he did it for attention because we have been on his case about his finances. I think I agree with her but I am not willing to take that chance. I don't know how the mind of a suicidal person works so I have to just let the experts do their job and keep my mouth shut. This sucks.
Our adult daughter did something similar back in September. I won't get into details here, but let's just say that I know what you guys are going through.

Inbox is open if you need to talk
Just like @Hibs said, we understand and are here.
Truly sorry to hear this. Our family has gone through it in the past. Thinking of your families and sending every positive vibe possible.

On both of those fronts, I TOTALLY hear what you're saying. Going through stretches where things just feel overwhelming and/or hopeless and/or just crappy is awful. I'm glad that, because you've been there before, you know it'll get better, even if riding out these stretches can really suck. I tend to have 1-2 stretches, especially around Jan-March, that are just really, really crappy. Keep moving forward, keep showing up. It's ok to be dealing with stuff. It's valid. And I'm sorry you're going through it right now.

As for talking to someone and/or going on something daily medication-wise ... So I put off going on something daily for like a decade. I decided at the time that I wanted to just deal with it myself (I recognize this was probably a mistake), and overtime I did learn to understand it better (meaning, I got better at being able to know when I was actually upset with something compared to when my body's chemistry was just messing with me and TELLING my brain I was upset). I also took something daily when I was like 10 (which I don't even remember) and apparently didn't have the best time on it, as I'm told.

But a few months ago I began taking something daily to address it — I finally got tired of going through those stretches I mentioned, and even dealing with small stuff on a daily basis — and it has really helped. It of course hasn't 100% solved anything, but many situations are sort of easier than they used to be (like the water isn't as deep now, if that makes sense) and it's easier to say "hey, it's all good, it'll be fine." If you'd like any further details, I'd be more than happy to detail what I've taken and some of what I learned about finding what works for you, etc. etc.

I don't currently talk with someone regularly, but 1. I am comforted knowing that's always an option and 2. I know MANY people close to me who are, and they are VERY thankful and positive toward the entire experience, to a 100% degree. They all recommend it, and it's something I may start soon. Sort of like this thread, it can be incredibly therapeutic to simply get some emotions/thoughts out into the open with someone who knows how to guide you through that experience (I talked with someone in college).

One possible option to sort of dip your toe into those waters, if you want, could be Better Help, which allows you to have these meetings via video conference from home and with more flexible hours. It just makes it a bit easier to manage appointments and what-not. I've had a few friends try it and they like it, with the only note they've given being that you the first person you get matched up with might not be perfect FOR YOU, but it's OK, you can try several people if you want. Some friends really liked the first person they were connected with, others went to the second or third and were happy they did. Just an option that might be easier to schedule, etc.

Sometimes our body chemistry messes with us, and taking something and/or talking with someone is simply an attempt to manage it or let the steam out, in a positive way. Taking the step can be overwhelming, I know, or it at least was for me for a time. It's always nice knowing the options are there.

For real — like, FOR REAL — message me 24/7 about anything.
🥺

I can't properly describe how valuable this thread and all your outvoiced thoughts are to me. They give me strength and belief. They give me hope that we as societies are going forward in MH discussions and issues.

So many things here resonate on a deep level and I love you all for the courage to voice your inner world 👊

Sitting here in the ER because my oldest (25) took a bottle of pills. He is acting like it's just another day and no big deal that he took them. His mom is sure he did it for attention because we have been on his case about his finances. I think I agree with her but I am not willing to take that chance. I don't know how the mind of a suicidal person works so I have to just let the experts do their job and keep my mouth shut. This sucks.

Our adult daughter did something similar back in September. I won't get into details here, but let's just say that I know what you guys are going through.

Inbox is open if you need to talk

This is so hard. My niece and god daughter went through hell last year. She was already a struggling teen (middle school) when their house burned down and they lost everything. She melted down hard and fast and was hospitalized many times It was awful. We did what we could to support all of them (impacts on the family are rough), including helping them get into a new home. For awhile the situation seemed hopeless. Eventually as they stabilized in a new home and school, she started to make friends and find some resilience. She is an ongoing challenge, but the wonderful young woman I see with my eyes started to come back.

One thing I learned was that sharing my own struggles helped my niece and I to build a stronger relationship. Living states apart, we call and text each other, and I would say we help each other. I feel for young people struggling today. She's just starting to learn who she is in a world that can feel hopeless. I have gone through hell on the inside but know who I am and have a life of experience to reply upon.

My heart goes out to anyone struggling and their families. It is so hard sometimes.

Those of you with depression and don't like meds, have you looked into ECT treatments?

My wife had every antidepression med thrown at her, and none helped.

It wasn't until I talked her into going to talk to a doc who does ECT that she found relief. We noticed almost an immediate change. She's now off all meds and goes once a year for 3 maintenance treatments.

Changed her life, she will tell you she probably wouldn't be here without it.

This popped up in my FB memories this morning. I shared it 9 years ago because someone close to me was going through a bad breakup.

Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.

It and "you can't take care of someone else until you take care of yourself" are 2 of the best things I can share with someone.

Interesting series on the health and mental health benefits of golf.

So, hi. I'm totally fine. Everything is fine.

But I just want to put this out there that, if you're someone who struggles with not liking yourself very much, just know you're not alone.

That's all. Just want people to remember there's a community of us out there :LOL:

So, hi. I'm totally fine. Everything is fine.

But I just want to put this out there that, if you're someone who struggles with not liking yourself very much, just know you're not alone.

That's all. Just want people to remember there's a community of us out there :LOL:

People who say they never struggle with issues about themselves will lie about other things, too.

Stay strong.

People who say they never struggle with issues about themselves will lie about other things, too.

Stay strong.
I appreciate it! Really do. I had one bad day this week, but I've rebounded, it's all good.

I mostly don't want anyone to forget that they're not alone. I think, sometimes, these types of emotions/feelings/thoughts/anxieties combined with the feeling of being alone in the fight can lead to being overwhelmed, or hopeless at times, and everything compounds. That's all.

Some weeks are good and some are bad for all of us. It’s usually random. I stay out of this thread because in all honesty, I don’t really talk mental health with patients much and I’m looney as a I can be. I hang in when it gets bad by trying to “just get to tomorrow” even if it’s a root canal tomorrow. Every situation is like bleeding. It stops eventually.

Hi, THP!

I’ve perused this thread a number of times since I’ve joined up here. Life has been a whole lot for me in the last few years. One of those days today, for sure. I lost my mom last month. I’ve been battling back issues and throat problems all year. My mental health has been a journey, that’s for damn sure. Golf is a major outlet for me but I haven’t been able to play recently due to sciatica. I’ve been seeing someone to help process. It helps. For sure.

Nothing specific here. Just hope you’re all as well as possible. Feel free to reach out if any of you ever need to vent, talk, etc.

Hi, THP!

I’ve perused this thread a number of times since I’ve joined up here. Life has been a whole lot for me in the last few years. One of those days today, for sure. I lost my mom last month. I’ve been battling back issues and throat problems all year. My mental health has been a journey, that’s for damn sure. Golf is a major outlet for me but I haven’t been able to play recently due to sciatica. I’ve been seeing someone to help process. It helps. For sure.

Nothing specific here. Just hope you’re all as well as possible. Feel free to reach out if any of you ever need to vent, talk, etc.
Appreciate you sharing. I've just about gone off the deep end this past few weeks myself lol!

If there's anything I can help with...DMs are open, my friend.

Golf is a major outlet for me but I haven’t been able to play recently due to sciatica.
Since its inception in 2003, TPI has studied thousands of golfers ranging from the top professional Tour players to weekend enthusiasts. An incredible amount of data on players of all shapes, sizes, ages, and fitness levels has been gathered during this time. Using this data, TPI discovered how a properly functioning body allows a player to swing a golf club in the most efficient way possible. Additionally, TPI has analyzed how physical limitations in a player’s body can adversely affect the golf swing and potentially lead to injury.

They may be able to steer to to a certified medical professional who can help you play despite the sciatica.

Beginning of summer: life was kind of a wreck, probably my lowest... ever, but as it does.. it starts to get back on track. Things start to fall into place. It starts looking like my work is paying off and I get smacked by reality again. :(

Hi, THP!

I’ve been dealing with Sciatica for 2.5 years, and know the pain. Finally 3 months ago, I was able to get back on the course. I have my good days and bad days, but have learned how to stretch and control the pain. Hit me up if you ever need to, I know the pain, literally.

Beginning of summer: life was kind of a wreck, probably my lowest... ever, but as it does.. it starts to get back on track. Things start to fall into place. It starts looking like my work is paying off and I get smacked by reality again. :(

I feel ya. It’s almost like I find it hard to just find solid ground these days, right? I hope you can work through this latest set of obstacles.

Back