Counterweighting/ Backweighting your clubs

I honestly dont think individual back weighting will work as well as the heavy because of the swingweight issue. You guys just adding weight to the butt end if the golf club could make the golf club so light in terms of swingweight that it may feel not head heavy enough.

But I'm interested to see how this all shakes out for you guys!

I honestly dont think individual back weighting will work as well as the heavy because of the swingweight issue. You guys just adding weight to the butt end if the golf club could make the golf club so light in terms of swingweight that it may feel not head heavy enough.

I'm interested too. It's an inexpensive experiment. My stuff should arrive today.

I know in the Heavy Driver thread Dr. Teeth said that the Heavy Driver swingweight was c4 and the R11 backweighted was c7.

I don't understand, my bsckweighted R11 (50 grams) has a swing weight of C7. My Heavy Driver is C4.

Edit. Ddec beat me to it

So my 40 gram weight and drill attachment came in today. I made sure to charge up my drill before I left for work this morning. First thing I can say is, wow these are easy to install. After watching Dr. Teeth's video I had my doubts, but it really is as easy as he said. Within a few minutes I had the grip drilled, the shaft cleaned out, and the weight installed.

I ran over to the course to try and get some swings in. It feels heavier, but not by a whole lot. I hit the driver 5 times in my round and hit 2 fairways, 1 just off and in good shape, and 2 bad drives in the trees. Distance seemed similar, a little longer on some, and shorter on others. I can't wait for the weekend to really test this out. I'm going to try and bring it to GolfGalaxy or Dicks and see if I can get the swingweight measured.

IMAG0544.jpg

Great thread Dr. T...looking forward to hearing how this works out for you over the long term.

How timely! We actually have the Tour Lock rep in our shop right now giving Mr. Blind 9 a demo on our launch monitor. Great video Teeth. I didn't watch the demo by the Rep of how to install the weights, but I'll have Dennis comment on this thread soon. We're thinking about picking this product up and offering kits (everything you need to modify your own club, except the drill!). Besides Teeth, would you other people attempt to modify your clubs yourselves? The rep came in to discuss how we could modify clubs for our customers, but now we're talking about selling the products on the site as well.

I would possibly be interested...thanks Patty!

Great video Dr. Teeth. Installed the Tour Lock optivibe and the counterweight in my driver and I really like the feel with the added weight. It's a pretty simple installation process and I'm excited to get some people in to see what other people think. We have the weight kit for the driver / woods, putter and irons. Swing by our shop if you want to try it out!

Good stuff Dennis...glad to hear that you might be carrying these.

This is my concern as well.

i tried this in some clubs last year, and got some good results, but utimately the feel of the counterweight disappeared for me. i had my best results in my wedges for some reason, i think it was because it was easier to feel a leading clubshaft ahead of the ball.

Anyone attempted on their putters?

nvm some reason tapatalk wouldnt let me see page 1.

interesting system.

Last edited:
played my first full 18 hole round with the backweighted driver on Friday. Just took my stats off of my gps and I ended up hitting 10/13 fairways(77%). My distance seemed much better too, probably because I wasn't losing the ball right as much as I have been.

Also played in a scramble yesterday were I was much better off the tee. I'm not sure how many fw's I hit because I didn't keep track of it since it was a scramble, but it was a good day off the tee.

I was planning on getting the swingweight checked on Friday night but we took Jenn's car out that night and the clubs were in mine. Will try to do that this week.

I had some of these installed a few weeks ago when a company come to our course. He installed some in both mine and one of my sons clubs. He also added a weight on the grip of mine. I played 9 holes and on the turn had him take out the grip weight it was just too heavy, but left the weight in the shaft.

it seemed like it hit it a little further but it was just not consistent. it felt like the shaft was not loading like it should be and it felt inconsistent I hit a lot of hooks out of the fairway. I played with it for about 10 rounds and my fairway % was just lots lower then it use to be and the length was not a big difference. I finally took them out last week. WOW what a difference. I hit way more fairways with it out and also got more distance. Maybe because the driver felt soooo much lighter and it felt like the shaft was working like it was designed to.

My son could not hit his from the start and would up getting another driver anyway. But he did not like his weighting.

I think it may help some and may not help others depending on how your driver is set up for you. I know for me, I wont be putting anymore in my driver anyway.

Any updates from you guys who since tried this?

What one dosent call for grip replacement agian? And are the both adjustable?

I've read through this thread and I'm a little confused as to how everyone is determining how much back weight (if any) is needed for their particular club? :confused2:

Will putting the extra weight in the grip area make the head of the putter lighter? I need something to make the head of my putter heavier because I have shortened the shaft. I've been told putting a larger grip or weight under the grip will only make the head feel lighter and that's not what I need. How does this help you with your putter Dr. Teeth?

Will putting the extra weight in the grip area make the head of the putter lighter? I need something to make the head of my putter heavier because I have shortened the shaft. I've been told putting a larger grip or weight under the grip will only make the head feel lighter and that's not what I need. How does this help you with your putter Dr. Teeth?

yeah Kelly, you need to add some weight down by the head. Putting weight on the grip end does raise the total weight but it makes the club head "feel" lighter.

yeah Kelly, you need to add some weight down by the head. Putting weight on the grip end does raise the total weight but it makes the club head "feel" lighter.

Is adding lead tape the only way to do that?

Is adding lead tape the only way to do that?

No, but it's the simplest way to do it and in my opinion, the most effective.
You're showing a SeeMore M1 in your sig, and on that particular head the best place for the lead tape would be right smack on the backside of the face.
Of course that would cover up the "SeeMore" logo and if you don't want to do that, then the next best place would be on top of the flange.

No, but it's the simplest way to do it and in my opinion, the most effective.
You're showing a SeeMore M1 in your sig, and on that particular head the best place for the lead tape would be right smack on the backside of the face.
Of course that would cover up the "SeeMore" logo and if you don't want to do that, then the next best place would be on top of the flange.

Thanks! I might give that a try on my SeeMore. I cut it off after my coach told me it was too long. Luckily it had an extension it (I bought it used) so I didn't have to cut it much. I will experiment with the tape.

So, I ordered a few of these to try out and installed following weights
-Cleveland 52*, 56*, and 60* - 20 gram optivibe plus 12 gram counterweight
-Putter #1 blade Never Compromise - 75 gram + 50 grams optivibes plus 20 gram counterweight
-Putter #2 Mallet Never Compromise - 50 gram optivibe plus 20 gram counter weight

Will try out this weekend on range, putting green, and finally on the course and provide some feedback.

I decided not to sc*ew around with my new irons, or for that matter my woods or hybrids. Especially the driver since my K15 already has a Harrison Shotmaker and and swinging is very well.

If anyone has installed just the Tourlock Pro counterweights(no optivibe) in their irons, 5-GW, and has had good success then would be interested to hear. I may take an old 7 iron from previous set just to mess around later.

Since I've been involved in the Heavy Driver testing here and I've been gaming a Heavy putter, I was wondering how you guys are getting along with your backweighted clubs now after a few months? I'm getting along well with the driver and really loving the putter.
I'm interested in maybe backweighting my K15 driver a little and I'm looking for advice. Anything done is easy to undo, so I'm game to try anything.

Any updates. I want to try this or Clevis Pins in my driver. Not sure what the best way to go is. OptiVibe and TourLock or only one. Other option is Boccieri Secret Grip. Interested to see how this will work in a lighter driver.

Bringing up an old thread to see what the thoughts are on counterbalancing golf clubs for the ones that tried it, and why they abandoned it or stuck with it? Results would be nice too.

My experience with counterbalancing clubs is it works well in the driver, putter, fairway woods and hybrids. A few years ago I got some numbers with and without the grip weight added. For me swing speed went down a little but smash factor went up and distance went up and dispersion was much better.

My theory is it can help keep you on plane, it can help take the hands/wrist out of the swing and it can possibly help with lag.

What was your experience?

Back