Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

great thread idea! i have been working on my putting a lot it was truly horrible for quite a while. i put in at least 20-30 minutes putting after every range session now and ive been practicing after my rounds if im not to tired. i am averaging now 2.0 per hole 2.1 per green in regulation. which is better, but my putting is still way to inconsistent.

This is what my instructor told me to practice. Putt 15 times at each distances and record the number of putts you hole out or reach goal listed. Keep your stats written down. You should see a big improvement in time if you keep up with your practice. No wonder I'm not better. I don't do what he tells me to do. Maybe this thread will motivate me.

3 ft - Ball Goes in Hole
4 ft - Ball Goes in Hole
5 ft - Ball Goes in Hole
6 ft - Ball Goes in Hole
9 ft - Ball Goes in Hole
20 ft - Ball Stops w/n 2 feet
40 ft - Ball Stops w/n putter length

good idea! my instructor told me to work on 4' and 40' putts. when i told him i was working on like 6-8 footers he said even the pros only make about half of those. i was kinda shocked he said work on lag putting from long distance and get comfortable with the 4 feet and in putts! so thats what ive been trying to work on but i still leave to many long 2nd putts

Quick question for everyone: do you count putts if your ball is off of the green but you still use your putter? I count them in my stats because I'm using a putter, so in my mind it doesn't matter whether I'm on the green or slightly off the green. However, the stats on the pro tours only count putts as those taken on the green; it's why the putts per round stat is so low at a place like Harbour Town in Hilton Head because that course has tiny greens. I guess I could make my putts per round look a little better by only counting when I use my putter on the green, but I don't think that's accurate. What does everyone else say?

Also, I'm looking forward to tracking this thread, I've had way too many 3-putts recently.

Quick question for everyone: do you count putts if your ball is off of the green but you still use your putter? I count them in my stats because I'm using a putter, so in my mind it doesn't matter whether I'm on the green or slightly off the green. However, the stats on the pro tours only count putts as those taken on the green; it's why the putts per round stat is so low at a place like Harbour Town in Hilton Head because that course has tiny greens. I guess I could make my putts per round look a little better by only counting when I use my putter on the green, but I don't think that's accurate. What does everyone else say?

Also, I'm looking forward to tracking this thread, I've had way too many 3-putts recently.

I would not count that as a putt but it also wouldn't show as a GIR since you missed the green.

I've always followed the way they tracked putts. On the green only even if a putter is used off the green.

i don't count them if its off the green but i usually feel more comfortable chipping unless im close on the fringe. But as long as you stay consistent with not counting or counting them it shouldn't skew the numbers to much... plus my numbers aren't looking that great even without counting those putts! lol

If I'm just off the green and I use the putter, then thats a putt. If I'm going over 10 feet of fairway with the putter than thats sort of a rolling a chip and I don't count it.

If I'm just off the green and I use the putter, then thats a putt. If I'm going over 10 feet of fairway with the putter than thats sort of a rolling a chip and I don't count it.

100% the same as me. Thats always been my take on it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we should clarify this before going forward since it could skew some of the numbers on here.

I think we should clarify this before going forward since it could skew some of the numbers on here.

Well I think we can agree that if the ball is just on the fringe of the green its a putt. If its say more than 4 feet from the green, then its a chip.

Since GIRs are going to be used to compare high/low putting rounds, I personally think if you don't hit the green, you shouldn't count anything off the green as a putt because you are already not counting the GIR. What do you guys think?

Since GIRs are going to be used to compare high/low putting rounds, I personally think if you don't hit the green, you shouldn't count anything off the green as a putt because you are already not counting the GIR. What do you guys think?

Sure, I can agree with that, do it the PGA way, if its on the green its a GIR, if its on the putting surface, its a putt.

Well I think we can agree that if the ball is just on the fringe of the green its a putt. If its say more than 4 feet from the green, then its a chip.

That sounds good to me. We can count fringe as GIR too. :)

Your call CB - this is your thread!

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I already feel motivated to working harder on my putting. That's the part of my game that is killing my scores.

If I am not on the green then it does not count as a putt in my opinion. Even if I am just off the green and I use the putter

Tapping my way down the highway

That sounds good to me. We can count fringe as GIR too. :)

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I already feel motivated to working harder on my putting. That's the part of my game that is killing my scores.

Thanks Kelly, thats the reason I started the thread for myself really. I really need to start buckling down and working on my putting. I put so much work into my driver, irons, wedges, short game, and then just roll a few putts before my round.

I play it the way the pro's do. Only putts on the green count.

Played nine today. Par is 35

Score:38 :act-up:
Putts: 20 :banghead:

This thread will motivate me to get a putting lesson and start practicing

Sure, I can agree with that, do it the PGA way, if its on the green its a GIR, if its on the putting surface, its a putt.

I'd go with this CB. It'll just make things easier down the line. Also, I'm psyched to do this since I think putting right now is my nemesis and it's costing me a lot of strokes / round.

Put me down for this as well. I am really trying to get my girs up ( they are miserable right now) to a respecatable level. On the 9 I played tonight I had 22% gir ( 2 out of 9), my fairways hit was great , 83% ( 5 out of 6). and number of putts was fair, 19 with about 4 tap-ins that "should of" went in. I think if I make this a focus for myself it will only help me! Great idea CB!!!

Easiest fix in the world.
Miss more greens.
:alien:

Exactly. I think putts per round is a misleading stat. It might show how good you are putting, but it might also show how good you are chipping. You could have 29 putts and hit 18 greens or you could miss every green and chip well and have a low amount of putts. I would guess that putts per GIR would be more telling. Well, for some people. If you are an 18 handicap you might look at putts per Green in 1 over regulation. Doesn't the Tour have a stat like distance of putts made or something?

I've always followed the way they tracked putts. On the green only even if a putter is used off the green.

Right, if you are on the fringe it's not a "putt". Just like if you putt out of a bunker it's not a "putt". But I think I read that once you hit a putt, they are all counted as putts until you hole out, even if you putt your first putt off the green and need to chip back on. Fourputt?

Not all of us, hehe. It's not a putt if it's not on the green, unless, I think, you putt the ball off the green. (I think)

Right, if you are on the fringe it's not a "putt". Just like if you putt out of a bunker it's not a "putt". But I think I read that once you hit a putt, they are all counted as putts until you hole out, even if you putt your first putt off the green and need to chip back on. Fourputt?

Haven't heard of this one. Interesting if it's true.

Haven't heard of this one. Interesting if it's true.

I could just be blowing smoke, but I swear I have heard this someplace!

I thought a putt had to be on the green? Also I thought I saw the to 10 in the PGA were around 27 or 28 putts per round. Averaging 30 is great but like you said its always best to improve.

Back