Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Looking forward to continued write ups from everybody.

CL, that is a ton of great information.

Ok guys, it's been a while since my last write up and I can only apologise. I've been moving house and super busy at work, as well as the weather being a bit ropey, so I've been dying to get out with these sticks again!

Had a nice little day out to a somewhat popular Scottish golfing resort called Turnberry. You may have heard of it. Unfortunately, it wasn't the Ailsa course this time, but the Kintyre. I was very surprised by the quality of the 'second' course at Turnberry though. I really enjoyed it and I'll be back there. So, time for a quick rundown on how I was getting on with the VR Pro Combos on a links track.

I'll admit that first of all, I've not been playing well recently. I'm striking the ball quite cleanly, but kinda struggling with the results. This kind of continued throughout this round, even though I'm enjoying the feel of these irons!

Pocket cavities. I had a few goes with these on the links and I must say, I have no trouble keeping these low. I did think I could struggle with this, as my regular shots have been launching higher with the Pro Combos. Hitting the 3 and 4i a little further back in the stance, as well as gripping down on them just a little bit, produced some pleasing results for links golf! Nothing to scare the worms, but enough to keep it under the worst of the breeze, and very controllable. This is something I hope to take on to my home course too, as I won't complain about the results. When I hit the pocket cavities like this, I wasn't experiencing any of the fade that I seem to see on what I'd term as a full shot in normal circumstances. Perhaps this club responds better for me with a little more control?

Split cavities. Struggled out there with these clubs for some reason. Just didn't have the control I expected to, but I really think my swing was off as my alignment seemed to be out too. I was striking them solid and I really did notice the turf interaction this time. The split cavities excel in this respect, when compared to my previous blades.
In fact, the great turf interaction of the split cavities is what made me notice that my alignment was out. On 11, I had a shot of around 170 from the middle of the fairway, sitting perfectly. Pulled the 6i, made a half decent swing and ended up with a pull of about 10 yards. Looked down and there was a nice shallow divot pointing out exactly where I'd gone wrong! So, I must say, for me, that these splits really have the perfect blend of playability and as shown in this case, forgiveness. I still got the perfect divot, the pull could have been a giant hook, and I got up and down for my par!
I'm really getting to like these split cavities, as much as I struggled with them. They look nice behind the ball and feel solid when struck. The pocket cavities are a little less solid for me, but I can't fault the transition from the splits to the blades at all.

Blades. Yet again I just love the blades in this set. Not too head heavy, perfectly balanced and very very hot off the face. I'm hitting these further, and I feel like I'm very close to playing well with them. Still seem to be leaning towards a draw, verging on a pull with them, but I naturally should play a small draw, and I've made a change to my takeaway which might promote this pull at the moment. Once this settles down, I'll be unstoppable!
One blade shot in this round stands out. A 9 iron on the 8th, from 140. I made sure I controlled my swing, with good balance, and it paid off. The ball took off! 3 feet left of the pin, one hop and dead stop. I get some nice control from the blades, without spinning the life out of the ball. Just how I like it actually.
I still need more practice with my pitching wedge. It's just so much hotter than I'm used to, the ball accelerates off the face a lot faster than before meaning I lack a certain amount of control from within 100 yards. But that, if anything, is a compliment to the club!

I realised how good the transition from splits to blades is in this set during this round. It came down to one shot, which could be a 7 iron, could be an 8. The decision was about the shot, the conditions, the distance and the likely result - never once about whether I'd like to play the split cavity or the blade. Coming from playing a full set of blades - that's a big thing for me.

This post has gone on long enough. I'll have some more thoughts but I'll split them up a bit. I'll leave you with a pic.

2011-08-18115952.jpg

Sounds like they cut through the rough pretty nicely, I'm really diggin all the reviews.

I was able to get back out yesterday morning and walk 18 here in the wonderful Texas heat. Overall, it was a solid day with the irons even though I have not been able to practice due to lingering back issues...it was really only due to some strong pain meds that I was able to make it through yesterday morning. Turned into a 5 hour round so things got a little wayward from 14 forward but nothing too bad. The course only played at 5966 yards with a 122 slope rating so I did not have any really good chances at using the pocket cavities but the rest of the set saw action.

SPLIT CAVITIES:

Hole 4 - 175 yards - 6 iron: this hole is a par 5 and I cut the corner on the drive and it left me 175 into the green for my 2nd shot. Yardage was I wanted to go 5 iron but it looked a tad shorter than that and I could not go long. Hit a perfect 6 iron that one hops and stops about 20 feet short right of the pin. 3 putt for par....grrrrr.

Hole 5 - 179 yards - 5 iron: this hole is the number 1 handicap hole for the course. I hit 3 wood off the tee leaving me 179 into the green. I hit 5 iron and just like on hole #4, I hit another split cavity perfectly. Ball one hops and stops again leaving me 26 feet left of the pin. 2 putt for par.

Hole 9 - 110 yards - 5 iron: I push my drive right into some trees and a dry ravine type area. I have an opening where I can get to the front of the green. I choked down on the 5 iron and hit a perfect punch shot that just runs off the back left edge of the green which was not a bad place since pin was back right. Shot went exactly as I imagined.

Hole 17 - 151 yards - 7 iron: Par 3 and I just smashed my 7 iron and it goes long and left of the green into some trees never to be found again (sharp downhill where trees are so could not even really look for it). Looking back, I should have hit 8 iron. Poor club selection.

Overall, I was very pleased with how the split cavities performed yesterday. I have hit good 7 irons before on the course but it seems that I rarely get a chance to hit 5 iron on the course so I was ecstatic after hitting solid "longer" irons on 4 & 5. Ball flight on each was mid and penetrating; no ballooning whatsoever but they also checked up very quickly on the greens which is exactly what I want in them. :clapp:

BLADES:

Hole 2 - 110 yards - PW: 2nd shot into a par 4 and I have a slightly downhill lie. Choked down a tad and hit it solid but pull it pin high to the left.

Hole 3 - 122 - PW: par 3 and hit PW again here. I put a terrible swing on the ball and just about hit it off of the hosel. Pulled it dead left but pin high.

Hole 6 - 143 - 9i: par 3 with pin tucked behind bunker guarding right front so I just want to play a shot to the middle of the green. Did just that and ended up 32 feet from pin for an easy par. Nice high ball flight and ball stopped within a foot of where it landed.

Hole 8 - 149 - 8i: 2nd shot into a par 4 which is to an elevated green about 75 feet. Caught it a tad fat and hits about 5 yards short of the green and luckily stays there in the rough and does not roll back down. OK shot, but I needed to hit it flush to get it all the way to the green I failed to do that.

Hole 10 - 110 - PW: 2nd shot into a par 4 and again I just hit it a tad heavy and comes up about 3 yards short of the green.

Hole 11 - 123 - 9i: This ends up being my shot of the day. Hit a beautiful towering 9 iron that seems to stay in the air forever and it was pin hunting the entire way. Ends up 5-6 feet directly behind the pin.

Hole 15 - 127 - PW: 2nd shot into a par 4 and I hit it solid but comes up 2 yards short of the green. Looking back, I should have hit 9i here. Ball was sitting on the edge of the FW and rough and I was expecting a flyer from that lie but did not get it.

Hole 16 - 149 - 8i: 2nd shot into a par 4 and I hit a decent 8i that comes up on the left front edge of the green on the fringe. Pin was back right so I probably could have hit 7i here.

Hole 18 - 121 - 9i: 2nd shot into a par 4 and I caught this 9i a tad heavy. Was tracking good the entire way but comes up about 7 feet short of the green where I am still able to putt it from there.

Overall, I was delighted with how the blades performed. As you can see, I hit several fat shots that I was still able to get around the green and have a chance to save par with. I think I would have had better/closer approach shots with better club selection. Combining that with my alignment issues where I seem to be aiming left caused quite a few missed GIR's. I also had a few chances to chip around the greens using both the PW and 8i. As mentioned before, these blade faces are hot and like to run out. Combine that with fast greens and you have to be careful but I had several chips that ended up within 3 feet for basic tap-ins. I have also started making the transition to chipping more with these than I do with my SW & GW as the results are just more predictable.

Hoping to get back out maybe tomorrow afternoon for another 18; but if not, I will definitely have at least one range session this week. Need to eliminate some of the fat short irons that I hit yesterday.

Here is a photo from my shot of the day on #11 yesterday:

IMG_0017.jpg

paulo, cant believe you went to turnberry and never got a pic of the lighthouse...tut tut.

on a side note, we played there 4 weeks ago, i hit a monster drive down the first, hit a utility which bounced in the water and back out. then stuck my next in the bunker and took 5 to get out...parred the next 4 holes though.. nice course.

Honestly I should just get the 2 iron for tee shots and stop using woods at all. I know some of the all iron round testing was done for a lark at the beginning of the process but I'm so dialed with these things I'd finding I'm better off to just pull an iron instead. The accuracy of these things are so crazy that I'm more confident of hitting the green from 185 out with a 5 iron then I am hitting a fairway that's 50 yards across with a wood.

I'm finally also locked down the range for 1/3rd and 1/2 with the PW which has disabused me of using it around the green except for loooooong bump and runs. The face is so hot that 1/3rd shots are flying out there 90 yards and then some roll which is crazy.

Played 18 today. Sorry for the delay in write ups, it was a busy week. Played at a course that I've never played at that is considered one of the hardest in the area. I did not play too great. My iron game was just a little off today. I could not figure out my fault today and was missing both ways, mostly a pull. I did have some good shots, and I'm not sure any clubs could have helped the bad shots I hit. I think I shot 85 with a few ugly numbers and almost shot my entire HC on the front.

Best shot of the day was a 7i from 155 with the wind in my face. Stuck it to 2'.

One thing I did notice, was that the hosels of the 3 & 4 irons were coming up a little. I took them to Golfsmith and the repair man told me it was just the little plastic piece, that the clubhead was still securely attached. Is anyone else having this problem? I will upload pics when I get home tonight.

I don't really have too much more to add at this time because I was more focused on my (poor) game than the clubs today. I should be playing tomorrow as well, so I'll have more then.

paulo, cant believe you went to turnberry and never got a pic of the lighthouse...tut tut.

on a side note, we played there 4 weeks ago, i hit a monster drive down the first, hit a utility which bounced in the water and back out. then stuck my next in the bunker and took 5 to get out...parred the next 4 holes though.. nice course.

Never worry Brian! http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...nberry-The-Kintyre-Course&p=839625#post839625

You can really get in some trouble on that course, I did notice!

Played 18 today. Sorry for the delay in write ups, it was a busy week. Played at a course that I've never played at that is considered one of the hardest in the area. I did not play too great. My iron game was just a little off today. I could not figure out my fault today and was missing both ways, mostly a pull. I did have some good shots, and I'm not sure any clubs could have helped the bad shots I hit. I think I shot 85 with a few ugly numbers and almost shot my entire HC on the front.

Best shot of the day was a 7i from 155 with the wind in my face. Stuck it to 2'.

One thing I did notice, was that the hosels of the 3 & 4 irons were coming up a little. I took them to Golfsmith and the repair man told me it was just the little plastic piece, that the clubhead was still securely attached. Is anyone else having this problem? I will upload pics when I get home tonight.

I don't really have too much more to add at this time because I was more focused on my (poor) game than the clubs today. I should be playing tomorrow as well, so I'll have more then.

Haven't noticed this with mine at all Jeff, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It'll just be a case of glueing it down and it shouldn't be an indication on how well fixed the club head is.

Played a par 62 on Sunday. It's a short course. I think it was 8 par 4's and 10 par 3's. I shot a 60, but it's really pretty easy. The irons performed very well again. I let some buddies hit these clubs and you definitely can't come in fat with these blades and get away with it. Just a touch fat and they dig right into the soft turf. I've had a couple shots ballon on me into the wind on par 3's, which surprised me since they usually go through the wind well. The 8 iron has been great for punching out and getting on the green instead of just punching out safely sideways. The 3&4 iron have been great off the tee. I still don't feel extremely confident with the 3 from the fairway though, but I love the 4 from anywhere. The grooves definitely bother me. It has been wet lately and each shot the grooves get mud/dirt in there and it is tough to get out unless you have a brush with you.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't been having a great deal of trouble with the grooves actually. Sure they take a little more attention, but I find that a small brush and a wipe with a towel clears them pretty well. That said, I haven't hit a whole load of fat shots with them I guess.

I wasn't aware the only way to get the grooves dirty was to hit fat shots. For me taking a divot after hitting the ball gets the grooves filled with dirt also.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a lot of dirt and muck in my grooves no matter how I make contact with the ball. I do find it hard to keep them free of dirt whilst on the course but they are easy enough to clean when back home.

Hey THP'ers, I have been somewhat under the weather this past week and I apologize for not having any updates. I am finally able to get back out there and shoot some rounds. Will post an update very soon. I will also try to get some pics as far as wear and such. Thanks for understanding and stay tuned!

I wasn't aware the only way to get the grooves dirty was to hit fat shots. For me taking a divot after hitting the ball gets the grooves filled with dirt also.

Thanks for that education. I wasn't taking a shot at your game.

Might be just me in this camp then, but if I hit a fat one, it generally gets the club dirtier than a regular shot, hence a more thorough test of how dirty the grooves would get or stay.

Kind of surprised that this one was 3 pages back.

I would also like to say I'm suprised that more forum members have bought these things and jumped on the bandwagon. There's plenty of room and these clubs are plenty awesome and rewarding.

Maybe there's too much stigma about "player iron's" still for these to get more love? I'm heading out 3 times this weeked so I'll try to see if I can do a quick video or two to dispel the player's iron myth

I am a little surprised too Tuna. These irons really are the real deal, Players irons or not.

Even when I am having a bad day I still feel confident standing over the ball with these in my hands.

Really starting to love the 4i now both from the tee and the floor.

JB - I know you were contemplating gaming these, is that still the case?

I'm in the process of doing a writeup of yesterdays round. It's going to be a little different due to collapsing though

I bought these a couple months ago based on all the great reviews from the testers. I have been reading all the updates, but haven't really said too much about how I am getting along with them. I have only been playing a few months now after a 10 year break, so I figured my input wouldn't be that good because I am still trying to get my swing back.

I came from a set of Ping ISI's and the difference in feel is night and day. The Ping's were VERY clicky feeling, even on a solid hit. The Pro Combo's are like - no I won't say butter - but they are very nice, even on mis-hit's. You get enough feedback to know what happened, but not the sting in your hans like I would get from the pings.

Distance wise, I am about the same and am getting a nice mid height flight on the ball.

I notice several people have mentioned how much harder it is to clean the grooves, but I haven't really notice any problem. It's probably because it's so dry here that the dirt just wipes away, but whatever it is, I am having no problems - even on fatted shots.

I can't see myself replacing these anytime soon, they are all that I was hoping they would be- easy to hit, pretty forgiving and probably the best looking clubs on the market.

Good info dway. Glad they are working for you.

Nice follow-up dway! Glad to hear the distance isn't a factor.

And to those having issues with the grooves, grab a wet towel and take it with you on the course.. I've had very little issues keeping the grooves clean when I take a wet towel with me.

dway: thanks for sharing your thoughts. As can be seen from my last several writeups, I am also very impressed with the lack of distance loss on mis-hits. Whether it is a fat or thin shot, I am still consistently right around the greens with a chance to save par. You would not typically associate "players clubs" with forgiveness but that is exactly what I am seeing. Heading back out early Saturday so will have another full writeup post round.

Tappin' from my iPad!

You guys are doing way better then me with the mishits then. When I rock a 4 it's 210 carry with a 5 yardish baby draw every time. If I crock the shot, which for me means coming in to fat, I'm lucky if I get 160 out of it. I don't seem to have the problem with the 5-PW but the length of the 3 and 4 still gets me sometimes.

You guys are doing way better then me with the mishits then. When I rock a 4 it's 210 carry with a 5 yardish baby draw every time. If I crock the shot, which for me means coming in to fat, I'm lucky if I get 160 out of it. I don't seem to have the problem with the 5-PW but the length of the 3 and 4 still gets me sometimes.

Good point and I should have clarified. I am seeing really good forgiveness specifically in the splits and blades. I do not tend to have many full 3 and 4 iron shots into greens but definitely saw a lack of forgiveness on the range with them.

Tappin' from my iPad!

So I got called off the course on Sunday due to my son’s tooshie rash. So the wife was kind enough to let me jump out early in the week to play 18. This is a local course that is a little tougher then what I usually play. No warm-up so the first few holes might be rough. I’ve got the Clicgear and I’m going to walk 18 as it is a beautiful day.

1st—514—Pretty straight ahead par 5. Driver lands right in the middle. Chunk a 6I(not intentionally) up to 80 yards. GW to 10 feet just off the green to the left. First putt goes 5 feet past and drain that for 6

2nd—442—Straight uphill drive leaves 175 from the fairway. It’s slightly downhill so I decide to go 6I again. Slight breeze kicks up but I stick with the 6. I hit it very slightly thin but it still goes nicely but just a little short landing on the front part of the green and the pin was in the back. Nasty 3 putt gives me 5

3rd—351—Very fun hole. Tee shot is downhill but the rest of the hole is uphill. Kill 3W to 60 yards. Hit ½ GW to 6 feet. Burn the right edge and tap in for 4.

4th hole—416—Dogleg right Par 4 with a downhill tee shot. I crush 3W to the left edge of the fairway. 140 left and I go with a hard 9I instead of soft 8I. Stupid mistake as I always am more accurate with the soft shots. I pull the 9I to the left fringe about 20 feet away. Putt to 4 feet and make the putt for 4

5th hole—171—Water all in front and to the right. Probably about a ½ club wind in my face so I choose the 5I and going to try and keep it low. I don’t keep it low and it starts flaring a little to the right. Stays up on the right bank, pin high. Just miss the chip and tap in for 3

6th hole—546—Really cool hole. Bunkers on the left driving area and water all up the left side on your approach shot. I hit driver that just strays to the left rough. Chunk 6I out of some nasty cabbage to 110. Hit ¾ PW to 8 feet. Hit that shot really well. Wanted to play it a little lower than usual so put it back in my stance and really chopped down on the ball. Ball hopped and stopped perfectly. Hit a nice putt but it just didn’t drop. Tap in for 5

7th hole—386—Bunkers guard the left landing area for drives. Take it right over those and you have wedge to the green. My drive flares right and into the rough. Go after a PW hard instead of 9I but this time it works. Ball lands just off the green but rolls up and stops 10 feet from the pin. The blades just slide right through the rough. Run the 1st putt 4 feet past and make that for 4

8th hole—144—Short uphill par 3. Playing about 120 today. Grab the 9I and go to address the ball. My vision starts getting a little blurry but I chalk that up to maybe the sunscreen has gotten into my eye due to sweat. Hit a nice shot that lands just short of the green but only 12 feet from the pin. Misread the speed of the green and run it 6 feet past. Miss the comebacker and tap in for 4

9th hole—390—Go to address the ball on the tee and I am starting to see double. I hit the 2nd ball that I see and duck hook it into the trees. Nice kick puts me in the left rough. I get up to my ball and it is in some deep stuff. Overhanging trees means I have to try and hook it onto the green. Pull the 5I and start feeling woozy. Hit the 5I fat and it does not hook. Lands pin high but in a pot bunker. Crap the bed on the first bunker shot. Pitch onto the green and 2 putt for 6.

So I am not hitting the irons all that crisply. Feel like I’m just a little off with my ball striking. I am however getting decent forgiveness with my misses. A few mental mistakes and poor putting puts me at 41. Easily should have been 37/38. Have I mentioned how surprisingly forgiving these irons are? Have I mentioned the ease with which the blades cut through thick rough? On a side note, I am feeling pretty crappy right now. Hurt my shoulder on the 5I shot on 9 and I am woozy and seeing 2 balls. I should walk off but for some reason I decide to keep playing.

10th hole—407—Dogleg left par 4. Driving range is on the left. I am feeling very poorly right now. I duck hook my drive up and over the trees and into the driving range. Say goodbye to mystery ball. A drop and poor putting nets me 6.

11th hole—356—2 tiered fairway makes this an interesting hole. I decide to attack the hole by chunking Mashie 120 yards but in the fairway. Pretty nicely hit 3I just tails right at the end but ends up pin high in the right rough. Very nice chip leaves me 4 feet. Very poor putt gives me a 5

12th hole—136—Water in between you and the green on this short Par 3. I hit a real nice and crisp 9I that just comes up short of the green. Putt up to a foot and tap in for 3. Have I mentioned I am not feeling well?

13th hole—410—Hit a nice drive to the middle of the fairway. Walking up to my ball I start to feel some cramping in my leg muscles. 160 left I pull 6I. I can plainly see 2 balls now. I hit the wrong one and it goes straight left and into a bunker just short of the green. My ball is sitting in mud. I try to hit a basic bunker shot but skull the ball over the green. Chip up to 10 feet and miss the putt. Tap in for 6. I am falling apart

14th hole—554—My legs are now twitching non stop. I hit a beautiful drive to the middle of the fairway and have 260 to the green. I decide to lay up and hit a great punch 6I to 100. Pin is in the back of the green and I hit a punch PW to 15 feet. First putt is 6 feet short. 2nd putt is 2 feet short. Tap in for 6. I now feel like I’m going to throw up

I collapse on the way to the 15th tee box. Both of my legs completely cramped up and I pass out. Wake up to excruciating pain as both legs are in knots. My poor playing partner who has never met me before today is now massaging my legs lol. I take a 10 minute breather and drink some liquids. I decide to soldier on.

15th hole—424—I am in poor shape but I still hit a solid drive right down the middle. I have 180 left and it is straight uphill. I hit a nice 4I that leaks just a little right at the end. I’ve got a straight downhill chip and somewhat muff it to the fringe. 2 putts nets me 5

16th hole—321—I shuffle up to the tee box and hit 3I to the middle of the fairway. 100 left but my ball is in a little mud patch in the fairway. I chunk my GW just a tad and come up just short of the green. My chip just takes off and I’ve got 12 feet left. I can see now why some people feel the face on the PW is too hot to chip with. 3 putt nets me 6

17th hole—156--My legs lock up again. I hit 6I just a tad fat and come up short of the green by 15 yards. My chip leaves me 5 feet and I miss and tap in for 4

18th hole—506—Hit a nice drive to the middle of the fairway. 220 to the pin and Mashie comes up fat and 70 yards short. Hit ½ GW to 10 feet and miss the putt. Tap in for 5

Well I can’t even tell you what the heck happened. I just didn’t drink enough fluids apparently and became severely dehydrated. Still feeling it today. My legs are crampy and my head just feels like it is going to explode. Didn’t really have my A game today in terms of iron striking. Everything was just a little fat or thin. Good day to talk about mishit distance though. I was losing 10-15 yards on mishits. Hit a lot of shots fat and also hit a couple that faded which is not my typical miss. All in all not too bad considering. 41/46 87 total with 71.4% FIR and a pathetic 33.3% GIR. My greens were really not all that bad though as my misses were usually still putts anyway. Can’t help but think that my GIR’s would have been better with a more forgiving iron. Not sure how that would translate in terms of better score though. Remember to keep yourselves hydrated!!

Back