The Movie Review Thread

Super 8: Sucked (spoilers)

Super 8: Sucked (spoilers)

OK I just saw Super 8. I know its been out a while but I just got it here and I have been careful not to read anything about. JJ Abrams right? It's going to be a great story right?

Wrong.

A pick up truck hits a train head on- the train is de-railed and completely destroyed, but the pick up truck and the driver survive just fine. Huh?

The creature rips off the door of the crashed train and begins its rampage. Its huge, powerful and angry. But wait. If it could just rip the door off the train and leave, why didn't it just do that before the crash?

Why were they even moving alien?

The creature spends the film gathering up all these cubes which combined with some metal, automatically make a spaceship for it to escape. But all the cubes were on the same train. Why didn't it just make the ship with the cubes after the crash? Or before it with the metal from the train cars?

The military locks down the town. But does nothing when the kids film the military investigating the train wreck and later when they film the military searching a house. What?

The town is evacuated to a secure military base. But the kids use a car to simply leave the base and drive back to down. huh?

The military are looking for the car the left the scene of the accident for half the film... then they just forget about it and its never mentioned again. Even when it turns up later in a pretty key scene.

The chief military guy finds super 8 film boxes left at the crash. Later he sees the kids making super 8 films- but never makes the connection.

The military conducts its secret operations using ham radio frequencies that anyone can listen in on.

The alien has sophisticated tech, is highly intelligent and can express all its thoughts to humans by touch. But all the scientists except one and the military think its a monster (feeding it meat on a hook like a zoo animal)

The one scientist who understands the alien is dis-honourably discharged, then allow to go and teach high school in a little town (and eventually crash his pickup into the train).

The alien tears a gas station to pieces and destroys a cop car. The investigator thinks it looks like a 'bear attack'. What kind of bears to they have in Ohio?

I could go on and on....... I love good science fiction film, but come on. Get script that at least makes a little sense... I HATE to see so much high production value and money wasted on such a poor poor script.

The kid actors were great and there were some nice scenes- but overall very disappointed.

Merged with Movie Review thread.

Conan The Barbarian was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha... I'm just getting hammered at work, trying to type up feedback and just getting it fro all sides. I would normally have an in depth review but friends, Ill just say this. AWESOME

I know I searched and Biggsy was the only one to mention this movie.."Shawshank redemption"

It honestly is a must is. It's 2 1/2 hours long but trust me it's well worth the time. There's a reason why it's a top 3 movie on IMDB.com Morgan Freeman is in the movie as a supporting role. Jist of the story..

A man is convicted of murdering his wife and another man for an affair. Gets tossed in prison meets a few folks and each gets their own redemption. Just an overall fantastic movie my #1 favorite of all time.

Went and saw The Debt yesterday. Pretty good movie, good script, good acting decent story line.

I'd give it a thumb and a half up

Anyone seen 7 days in utopia? I've seen a couple reviews so far and they haven't been good.

I just saw Hall Pass. The movie has a pretty solid plot line but it has a lot of holes. It could easily have been a less funny spin-off of "Old School." It has a lot of really good laughs and is pretty raunchy (which is always cause for serious laughs), but Owen Wilson really drags this movie down. Personally he was mis-cast for this role and his acting is very monotone and lackluster. The star of the movie is Jason Sudeikis. He carries this movie on his back and really brings the laughs and overall comic shenanigans. His lines/jokes in the movie will have you dying laughing. I reccomend this movie solely for him and him alone, the rest of the cast/script is mediocre and could have been a lot worse. I give this movie a B-.

The last movie I watched was Limitless. Not a bad movie for the most part, as I do really enjoy movies that get me thinking of how I'd react in that scenario.. A couple of plot particles were a bit iffy and the jumps the movie makes are a bit disappointing at times, but the end really gives you an open interpretation which I liked.

Going to be getting Arthur in the mail today. Loved that movie in the theatres, can't wait to watch it again!

Wife and I went and saw 7 Days in Utopia Monday. It was allright. They left several things out from the book that I believe would have made a lot better. Lucas Black and Robert Duvall were good.

Apollo 18 - don't waste your time or money. I watched it for free and the time I spent watching it was too much of an investment.
Now, colombiana, although a completely predictable re-tread of a story line, is at least not a waste of time, but wait for the DVD or another 'free' option...
I'm sorry to hear the reviews of utopia... just finished the book last night and it was a good story and a moving message (no matter what your religious views). I hope that it's at least a good golf movie!

The last movie I watched was Limitless. Not a bad movie for the most part, as I do really enjoy movies that get me thinking of how I'd react in that scenario.. A couple of plot particles were a bit iffy and the jumps the movie makes are a bit disappointing at times, but the end really gives you an open interpretation which I liked.

Going to be getting Arthur in the mail today. Loved that movie in the theatres, can't wait to watch it again!

I thought Limitless had alot of plot holes too, but it was much more intense than I was expecting.

The Sorcerers Apprentice- 8/10 I went in to this fearing the worst but was pleasantly surprised. I think Nicholas Cage is one of the worst actors ever but he did a good job in this. No over the top Stanley Goodspeed freak outs or anything. The story line was interesting. Special FX were pretty cool. Good characters. Worth a watch.

Tap tap taparoo

Wife and I went and saw 7 Days in Utopia Monday. It was allright. They left several things out from the book that I believe would have made a lot better. Lucas Black and Robert Duvall were good.

Oh man was this the kid from Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift? God I hope not.

I havent seen it but yes that is the kid from Tokyo Drift.

Lucas Black

Looking forward to seeing Contagion myself....I love movies that have multiple stars in them as well as a doomsday or apocalyptic story/plot

I havent seen it but yes that is the kid from Tokyo Drift.

I'm with you Hanks, Contagion is high on my list.

Paul was pretty hilarious.

The Beaver was really good, too.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've seen this trilogy mentioned in many places, the books and the movies. The first one was fanfreakingtastic. I can't wait to watch the next two.

Kevin

great movies--watched them on Netflix iirc

phatphingers like tapppytalk

Red State was a great movie. One of Kevin Smith's best.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Back