Goodyear Tour Traction Review

blaise2089

Reaction score
Handicap
When I say the name GOODYEAR, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Tires obviously??? Well if you were unaware, the company actually has golf club grips! Now before you go judging a book by its cover, I ask you to put away your predetermined thoughts about the company's tires (whether good or bad) and give these a chance. I was unable to find anything else on the forum about these, so I thought I might give everyone my thoughts (whether you like it or not!) and maybe provide another option for some.

I recently came across these grips on the Golfsmith website. I noticed the price of the grip was an astonishing $2.47. Wow, a multi-compound type grip at less than 2 dollars and 50 cents??? surely they can't be worth wasting your time! Long story short, I did some research, read some reviews, looked around and thought for a while. I decided to pull the trigger and order some. I mean what is there to lose, $35?

Now before I can tell you what I think about these grips you should probably know a little about me. I've been playing golf seriously for about 6 years now. The only grip I've really used are the Golf Pride Tour Velvets and the stock TaylorMade grips they put on woods, hybrids and drivers. Now I like the Tour Velvets a great deal, good price, nice feel, an all around decent grip.
I am at about a 7.5 handicap now and I would have to say my ball striking is one of my main strengths, giving me great distance with a driver and allowing me to play a set of muscleback irons. ***Disclaimer***I have not personally tested or used the Golf Pride New Decade, although I have buddies that play them and have given me thoughts.

That being said, I recently replaced 3 clubs with the Goodyear Tour Traction. These being my 56* sand wedge, 8 iron, and 19* hybrid. I wanted to be able to test the grips on different types of clubs and those that would be used most often.

Looks
For what it is worth, I think the look of the grip is impressive. Although the only color is white, it stands out without being very flashy. At first glance one might confuse this grip with the Golf Pride New Decades. If you look closely, however, the white portion of the Goodyears are actually only in the mid section of the grip, whereas on the New Decade the white portion extends all the way to the end of the grip.

Feel
When you first put your hands on the Goodyear while on the club you will notice it has a very distinct feel. The black portion of the grip is somewhat like the Tour Velvet, while the white portion gives you what you can tell will be very good control and a great deal of tackiness. The grip is slightly on the firm side, but actually gives you great comfort while laying in your palm.

Playability/Performance
Maybe most important aspect of a grip. As recently noted I tried to get the maximum amount of tests on a wide range of shot types, lies, and swings. I believe I was able to achieve this while on the range and a great deal on actual on course testing. One of my favorite things about the grip was on my sand wedge. I had a couple of "normal" bunker shots which the grip performed nicely on. One bunker shot I had required me to use a very powerful swing in which I had to precisely guide the club head. The Goodyear performed beautifully in that it never slid or budged in my palm at all, even through impact. The grip felt great on my irons and I felt I was able to hit controlled shots confidently in part to knowing the grip would stand up through my shot. I must also add that I live near Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where saying humidity is high would be an understatement. I have mostly found that the Tour Velvet would have some slipping through your shot and would lose its tackiness and "grippy-ness" and get slick. I had no problems with the grip getting moist and slipping due to the humidity.

PRICE!!!
$2.47, need I say more? I'm a college student with truck note, insurance, gas, and food with a limited golf equipment budget (ok I stretch it to the max, and occasionally go over!) but for about $35 to regrip your whole set, I say go for it!

I know it is getting to the end of the golf season for some but if you throw these on and get used to them over the off season, you can start it off early next year. For those like me just looking for a change on your clubs for the rest of the year, look into these grips.

Now for some pictures:
83552aae.jpg

5cbe4569.jpg

edb0a2b3.jpg

Any comments, questions, additions are welcomed and appreciated!

Great review man, seems like a great option if you are looking to save some money on a dual compound grip. I'm pretty much set on all my clubs right now. But when my time comes I will defintely give these some thoughts.

Those are pretty cool looking. My next set of grips will probably be the THP Pure grips, but who knows. This is a cool idea for sure

Great review man, seems like a great option if you are looking to save some money on a dual compound grip. I'm pretty much set on all my clubs right now. But when my time comes I will defintely give these some thoughts.

Thanks! Just trying to give back to such a great site that has given me great info. And yes they are really good, I hope you check them out

I love these grips! I think having the Goodyear Winged Foot makes it crazy cool. Blaise are they regular or medium size grips?
Check out a GY grip in all black with yellow fill in:
19963.jpg

Blaise are they regular or medium size grips?

Nice one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice review, thanks for sharing! :D

I think these grips look very nice, and at that price, worth considering!

Nice write up Blaise!! Thanks for sharing how these worked for you - looks like an outstanding grip for the money and we all enjoy saving some when possible.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Wow nice writeup. I had no idea that they made grips. Thanks!

Nice review, have never seen their grips being sold anywhere.

Great review! I've eyed those on the Golfsmith website before. Glad to hear they perform well.

Hmmmmm. Very interesting. They look just like these.

991983733_FiDjk-X3-1.jpg

I like the write up about you and the grips. I agree it's a nice low cost option and they look good. A player must be satisfied with what he or she is holding or it's all for not.

Kongfrontation

Nice review, have never seen their grips being sold anywhere.

The only place I've seen is on the Golfsmith website and on Amazon, but I believe it is still like ordering from Golfsmith.

I love these grips! I think having the Goodyear Winged Foot makes it crazy cool. Blaise are they regular or medium size grips?
Check out a GY grip in all black with yellow fill in:
19963.jpg

Blaise are they regular or medium size grips?

They are standard size grips. I'm not sure if you can get them in different sizes are not. This may be the only drawback to the grip which is limited selection.

Hmmmmm. Very interesting. They look just like these.

991983733_FiDjk-X3-1.jpg

Yes they look very close indeed. Especially to the cord version of the Tour Traction. Have you ever tried these?

One other thing I wanted to mention:
I am going to try to, long term, post as to how these grips hold up and the longevity of the grip itself. Obviously this will only come over time as I will have to play them a while to see how long they last. But I just wanted to let you know I plan on updating this thread even short term as well.

Nice initial write up and feeback here, thanks for sharing. As someone who is very "thrifty" when it comes to my golf equipment this is nice to know there is a decent option in that price range, and from a brand I'm very familiar with.

Will definitely give these a thought next time I'm in the market...

Nice little writeup there, Blaise!

Good Year definitely knows their rubber! For that price, I will definitely give these a look. If JB is implying that Good Year makes those grips for UST Mamiya, then that's a good sign for me. I have a UST Mamiya grip on my gap wedge, and I like it a lot. Very grippy and comfortable at the same time.

Great Job! I had a few of the Goodyear on My Adams A3's a while back! Nice Job!!

One -T those Kicks look good!

Nice little writeup there, Blaise!

Good Year definitely knows their rubber! For that price, I will definitely give these a look. If JB is implying that Good Year makes those grips for UST Mamiya, then that's a good sign for me. I have a UST Mamiya grip on my gap wedge, and I like it a lot. Very grippy and comfortable at the same time.

So JB are you implying that Goodyear makes them or were you just saying they resemble each other?

Great Job! I had a few of the Goodyear on My Adams A3's a while back! Nice Job!!

One -T those Kicks look good!

Did you like them? Did you get similar results as my initial thoughts?

I have played a few rounds since putting the Goodyears on every club (56*, 52*, PW, 9-4iron, hybrid, and 3 wood) and have to say my initial thoughts are still spot on. We will just see how they hold up! Will try to get a picture of all the clubs soon.

I have played a few rounds since putting the Goodyears on every club (56*, 52*, PW, 9-4iron, hybrid, and 3 wood) and have to say my initial thoughts are still spot on. We will just see how they hold up! Will try to get a picture of all the clubs soon.

Nice write up blaise. I wish these were offered in midsize, I would get them for sure.

Nice write up blaise. I wish these were offered in midsize, I would get them for sure.

Yea one of the few drawbacks is limited selection. I wish they were too so that you could try them out!

Nice right up blaise and way to go out on a limb and try something new. Glad to see your enjoying them. Keep up the good work and let us know how these hold up in the long haul.

Sounds good blaise. Decently interested in these.

Back