Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

I can tell you from my experience I don't feel the torque I felt in my other hybrids. The head/shaft combination is perfect. On toe hits with my old hybrids I would feel the face push back. One toe hits with the Ezone it feels as though the face stays firm and in place, thus putting let spin on the ball and minimizing the miss.

Bullfrog: Can you tell a big difference between the feeling in this shaft as compared to the shafts of other hybrids you have used? If so, can you provide a little glimpse into the differences in the feeling and performance? Thanks.

I am playing Erin Hills this weekend and will have the YONEX in the bag. After those rounds, I plan to draft my extensive 2-month review post. In the meantime, I may try to post some before/after pics of the club to show how the club is holding up to continous play.

Took the old bones to the range today and hit the Ezone in some extreme situations. The situation I speak of is the extreme heat of the September Florida sun. It was a hot one today but I pulled through it....Anyway I worked on a few things in my swing prior to launching some range rockets into the thick Florida air.

After I was good a lathered up from the city wide Sauna, I grabbed by favorite buddy from my bag and pulled a pellet from the pile and proceeded to hit the all to familiar high draw with the last hybrid I will ever own. I pulled another and checked some positions with the club and got the same result. This proceeded for a good 10 minutes, I know cuz the Paul Oakenfold song was about 10 minutes long.

As I took a break I noticed that the club looks as good today as it did the day I received it. There is a some slight wear and tear on the bottom as well as the face but all in all I am pleased with the durablity of the club. Having the face of the club extend up into the crown of the club head allows for miss hits without fear of scratching the crown.
The shaft is still as candy apple red as the day I removed it from the box. The only thing that has changed on the club is the grip. I added a new grip with exact amount of tape I have on every other club and a matching grip. The white of the grip really gives the shaft some pop.
After this short break I continued to hit balls. Instead of full swings I decided to swing nice and easy about 60% of my normal swing speed. I wanted to see what type of shot this produced. Much to my surprise each ball I hit produced a very straight penetrating low ball flight. It reminded me of a punch shot with a 5 or 4 iron. The ball traveled about 170 yds and hit the ground running for another 15 or so yards. This will come in handy when it gets windy out.
The versatility of this club is unreal. Through this test process I have learn a great deal about not only the club but my game. This club really brought back the creativity I seem to have lost.
The Yonex can be chipped, putted, knocked down, full swing, draws, fades, high, low and now nice n smooth low trajectory shots. Miss hits aren't punished and good shots are rewarded. So much from one club, the all in one hybrid.

Bullfrog: Can you tell a big difference between the feeling in this shaft as compared to the shafts of other hybrids you have used? If so, can you provide a little glimpse into the differences in the feeling and performance? Thanks.

Sure, I will try to anwer the best that I can. The only other hybrid that I have hit is my TM Rescue 4 21*.

The Nanopreme shaft in the Yonex to me doesn't whip at all for me. And it's not like swinging a metal bat in terms of flex. It's sort of a happy medium. IMO When you cut thru the real thick rough it's strong enough to hold the pressure of your swing steady even though it has grass interacting with the face of the club slowing it down. Ever have that feeling that the grass opened the face of your club? Well, the Yonex doesn't seem to have that feel thru the real thick stuff. The face just stays the way it's facing with your swing. Now with the TM Rescue 4 there isn't any whipping either (stiff shafts in both). It also will power thru the grass. But when it's real thick, the grass sort of wants to open the face for you like I mentioned above. Which to me is more like a metal bat (flex). The Yonex flexes when this happens instead of the grip wanting to turn too but it's pretty forgiving so it doesn't really punish you. The TM shaft seems to want to turn in your hand, you can feel it. I hope that makes sense. I'm not saying that the TM is bad by no means. I just grip a little harder and rip it...

I guess that would be difference that I have noticed. I hit out of the rough a lot, so I tend to notice more differences in the clubs from there. LOL

I can tell you from my experience I don't feel the torque I felt in my other hybrids. The head/shaft combination is perfect. On toe hits with my old hybrids I would feel the face push back. One toe hits with the Ezone it feels as though the face stays firm and in place, thus putting let spin on the ball and minimizing the miss.

Sure, I will try to anwer the best that I can. The only other hybrid that I have hit is my TM Rescue 4 21*.

The Nanopreme shaft in the Yonex to me doesn't whip at all for me. And it's not like swinging a metal bat in terms of flex. It's sort of a happy medium. IMO When you cut thru the real thick rough it's strong enough to hold the pressure of your swing steady even though it has grass interacting with the face of the club slowing it down. Ever have that feeling that the grass opened the face of your club? Well, the Yonex doesn't seem to have that feel thru the real thick stuff. The face just stays the way it's facing with your swing. Now with the TM Rescue 4 there isn't any whipping either (stiff shafts in both). It also will power thru the grass. But when it's real thick, the grass sort of wants to open the face for you like I mentioned above. Which to me is more like a metal bat (flex). The Yonex flexes when this happens instead of the grip wanting to turn too but it's pretty forgiving so it doesn't really punish you. The TM shaft seems to want to turn in your hand, you can feel it. I hope that makes sense. I'm not saying that the TM is bad by no means. I just grip a little harder and rip it...

I guess that would be difference that I have noticed. I hit out of the rough a lot, so I tend to notice more differences in the clubs from there. LOL

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. My experience has been fairly similar to yours with regard to the shaft. I would use one word to explain it: stable. I find the shaft to be very stable; it feels good.

On another note: I have now been reviewing the YONEX for 2 months. After I play Erin Hills this weekend, I will provide my 2 month update. It will be topped off with anecdotal evidence from my rounds at Erin Hills (US Amateur and future US Open) and Harbor Shores (future Senior PGA major), as well as pics of the club to view its usage.

So I played 36 holes at Erin Hills this past weekend and, of course, I had the YONEX in the bag. It was incredibly windy and even had a bit of rain. I was very pleased with the performance of the YONEX. I plan to do my 2-month review/update tonight.

I used the Yonex this past weekend and was very pleased with how I hit it. I used it twice off the deck on par 5's. The first time was from 300 yards out and I blasted it to 60 yards perfectly straight. The ball had a nice piercing flight and seemed to go forever. The second time was from 240 yards out on a par 5 with water along the left side. I again crush the hybrid perfectly straight, it lands on the green and bounces just off the back. Unbelievable 240 yard carry and 10 yard roll out. This thing rips the ball apart.

I used the Yonex this past weekend and was very pleased with how I hit it. I used it twice off the deck on par 5's. The first time was from 300 yards out and I blasted it to 60 yards perfectly straight. The ball had a nice piercing flight and seemed to go forever. The second time was from 240 yards out on a par 5 with water along the left side. I again crush the hybrid perfectly straight, it lands on the green and bounces just off the back. Unbelievable 240 yard carry and 10 yard roll out. This thing rips the ball apart.

That's interesting. Is that what you look for in a hybrid (I'm talking about big distance, obviously anyone would take dead straight). How is the stopping power on this. I saw you said it ran off the back of the green, but I don't know your swing. I like my hybrid to be able to stop quickly. How is it relative to other hybrids you've hit?

The EZONE stops as good on greens as any other hybrid I have played. I've hit it into par 5 and long par 3s and held the green. Does it stop on a dime, no but from 230+ not many clubs do. I have confidence that if I need to knock it on a green I can.
I played Sonartec hybrids prior to the EZONE. I have found the EZONE to perform better all around. In terms of feel this club is second to none. It's distance is great and it can be worked all over the golf course. Bring able to control it going into greens is a plus.

I agree with Tad! The way it reacts to the green is very managable! It seems no matter what club I'm using into the green, I never fly the flag. A club that makes the ball stop immediately doesn't really help me. For the simple fact I suck at putting. So roll out closer to the hole is just fine with me. I also got more help with this by switching balls that I play. But that's another thread.

Thanks guys! Very helpful stuff!

That's interesting. Is that what you look for in a hybrid (I'm talking about big distance, obviously anyone would take dead straight). How is the stopping power on this. I saw you said it ran off the back of the green, but I don't know your swing. I like my hybrid to be able to stop quickly. How is it relative to other hybrids you've hit?

The second shot that rolled off the back of the green, just barely rolled off. It was sitting on the fringe less than a yard from the green. If you read some of my older reviews, I mentioned that I don't hit the Yonex quite as high as my previous hybrids. It's more of a piercing ball flight. So naturally, the ball will have a harder time stopping fast. I have adapted and begun playing the the Yonex as a roller club, similar to a 3W but much easier to hit off the deck.

Comparing it to other hybrids...both of the other hybrids that I have owned have been higher lofts. Mashie M4 is 22* and the sumo is 21*. I was able to stop both of them quite nicely on the green but I also hit them a great deal higher. I am also hitting the Yonex roughly 240 while I hit the mashie 215.

I think that if you are able to get the ball high in the air with the Yonex, the stopping power will be there. But personally, I don't think I hit it high enough to have it one hop stop.

I have to tell you it so nice to be able to wake up ,drop the kids off and squeeze in some quality range time prior to heading into the office. That is exactly what I did today and it was a fine session indeed. I needed to swing the clubs after being away from them for 5 plus days. I really wanted just to get loose so that when I tee it up tomorrow I'm in good form.
I warmed up as usual and found my swing to be in the groove very early in my warm up. So I grabbed the EZONE aka The Dragon and proceeded to hit balls down the range at nothing in particular. Just hitting into open space. (I had a point of reference but not target practice)
I was more in tune with the way the club felt in my hands then I was the direction the ball was traveling.
I was more focused on the click of the ball off the club face then I was the position of the club face at impact.
I was looking for a specific repeating ball flight instead of a draw or fade.
I got all of that while hitting this club. Nothing was forced or manipulated or adjusted. It was just me, my swing and the Yonex EZONE. Ball after ball into a crisp blue sky, dripping with humidity. It occured to me that I had not had one swing thought during the time I had been hitting the club. It was nice to know that the physics of the swing combined with the club produced quality shot after quality shot.
I could feel the ball on the club face, the bend of the shaft, the turn of the toe and the pull of the swing to the finish. What I got was a mini moment of golf clarity. This did not happen with one other club in the bag and I like my clubs. The consistency of each ball was unreal. It's like this club was designed around my swing, I made no special request when I orderedthe club so I know that not to be true. I believe it's just the club and the science behind the club. Yonex put together a masterful piece of golf technology! I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best Hybrid I have ever hit! I enjoy every swing with this club.

I thought I would put up some pics to show the durability of this club after almost 3 months of use. The grip still looks and feels new, there isn't a scratch on the shaft, and the clubhead is aging very well. The sole of the club is mostly chrome so obviously it has a lot of scratches from use, but doesn't look beat up at all, just well used. The clubface is still in great shape with minor wear. The grooves have not worn at all. The EZONE has performed better than I ever thought it would, so I ordered the 4H to go along with the 3H I have been testing.

img2459l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img2460b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The second shot that rolled off the back of the green, just barely rolled off. It was sitting on the fringe less than a yard from the green. If you read some of my older reviews, I mentioned that I don't hit the Yonex quite as high as my previous hybrids. It's more of a piercing ball flight. So naturally, the ball will have a harder time stopping fast. I have adapted and begun playing the the Yonex as a roller club, similar to a 3W but much easier to hit off the deck.

Comparing it to other hybrids...both of the other hybrids that I have owned have been higher lofts. Mashie M4 is 22* and the sumo is 21*. I was able to stop both of them quite nicely on the green but I also hit them a great deal higher. I am also hitting the Yonex roughly 240 while I hit the mashie 215.

I think that if you are able to get the ball high in the air with the Yonex, the stopping power will be there. But personally, I don't think I hit it high enough to have it one hop stop.

Okay, many thanks for the response.

I thought I would put up some pics to show the durability of this club after almost 3 months of use. The grip still looks and feels new, there isn't a scratch on the shaft, and the clubhead is aging very well. The sole of the club is mostly chrome so obviously it has a lot of scratches from use, but doesn't look beat up at all, just well used. The clubface is still in great shape with minor wear. The grooves have not worn at all. The EZONE has performed better than I ever thought it would, so I ordered the 4H to go along with the 3H I have been testing.

Now that is a serious testament to how well you think the club performs for you. Glad to hear that the testing is going very well!

Now that is a serious testament to how well you think the club performs for you. Glad to hear that the testing is going very well!

Agree, anytime you purchase another you know its good

Played Grand Cypress this morning and only pulled the EZONE once all day. I hit it off the tee on the par 4 3rd and hung a piercing bullet out to the right. It landed short of and rolled into the one trap I didn't think I could reach with it. Leaving me 127 to the flag.
Even though I didn't get the result I was looking for, a draw off the trap, I still hit it well. The club never gets to far off line. It's responsive and goes where it is aimed with out a lot of tinkering with the swing. I am sure the other testers will agree that it is very easy to hit. Great work by Yonex with a great offering into the very crowded hybrid world.

Kongfrontation

Me- I want to hit these again

My Mashies- No you Don't

Me- Yes I do and if I do, start putting your resumes together

My Mashies- guess we better get or acts together eh?

I think you should OEM one, Hanks. You loved this hybrid at demo day.

OK folks. Well I have had the YONEX EZONE for just over 2-months now. Thus, I thought it was appropriate to draft up a little full-review for the fellow THPers.

Since I received the YONEX, I have played approximately 15 rounds with it in the bag and hit approximately 700-750 balls at the range with it. I have played with it in nearly all conditions, including hot, cold, dry, humid, wet, windy, windless and even hail (for 1 swing). I have used it at various type of courses, including parkland, woodland, lakeside, and links. I have hit it on grass ranges and off of mats. And, as previously reported, I have put it through numerous different shot types.

In my mind, I have put the YONEX through the ringer, and will continue to put it through the ringer for the time being.

Since this is my 2-month review, I think it is best to use the same categories I used after my 1-week review, provide additional feedback and discuss any change in scoring from that first week.

Looks: A (Initial Score: A-) The looks of this club are great. The head is a perfect size. It is compact enough to suit your eye well, but large enough to give you confidence! I cannot ask for much more in this department. The red on the shaft is just awesome. It pops!!! I upgraded this from an A- to an A, because I have now grown accustomed to the sleeve section of the headcover, which has held up well to the aggressive use. The overall looks of the club have been maintained as well, despite the significant use of the club the past 2 months.

Feel in Hand: B (Initial Score: B+) The club feels pretty light in my hands, especially compared to some of the other hybrids I have hit. This is mostly a positive. It gives me a good swing thought on the tee and in the fairway... you are going to get good distance even if you don't think you are swinging that hard. That is a good thing to have in your mind. Moreover, the yet the shaft feels VERY stable. I like this feeling, especially when I am about to hit something out of the rough. I am not the biggest fan of the grip; I don't like it all that much. If I were to purchase one, I would definitely put another grip on it.

The reason I downgraded it from a B+ to a B is partly due to the grip, but also due to the overall lightness and slightly shorter shaft than I prefer. When hitting out of the rough, I love the feeling of the stability of the shaft, but I am still struggling with the overall feeling of the lightness and shorter shaft. That feeling is great for me on the tee and in the fairway, but it just hasn't translated to the rough for me yet.

Sound: A+ (Initial Score: A+). I love the sound of this club. You know it when you connect, and it is beautiful. And sound gives me confidence in a club, when I like the sound of a well-struck shot, I gain more confidence in my skills with that club. The YONEX shines here!

Feel at Impact: A (Initial Score: A) Same as above. Feels great when you hit it in the center of the club face, and confidence is gained!

Performance on Tee: A++ (Initial Score: A+). This thing is amazing off the tee. The ball flight is great for me. It is piercing! The trajectory is slightly lower than I was used to, but I am growing fond of it on the tee box. It is also incredibly accurate, usually providing a slight draw or straight shot. I feel like I can just get up to the tee box, take a small practice swing and let er' rip! That is a great feeling to have. Since getting the YONEX, I have played hybrid off the tee more than I typically had before. For that reason, I had to upgrade it from an A+ to A++ (if that is even possible)

Performance on Fairway: A (Initial Score: A). This is great on the short grass. Again, the ball flight is a bit lower than I was used to, but it is usually straight to a slight-draw and gets good distance with amazing accuracy. I particularly enjoy using this club when I am in its "wheelhouse distance" for a green in 2 on a par 5!

Performance in Rough: B (Initial Score: B) I was hoping that by this time I could upgrade this score to a B+ or A- by this time. Indeed, in mid-reviews I even dropped this down to a B- at times. I have since upgrades it from that, due to its decent performance in wet rough. While the performance is pretty good when the ball is not "down" in the rough or when it is lying with the growth of the grass, I have found it to be of 'slightly above-average' when playing out of thick rough. I often get it out and can get some decent distance out of it, but I have found varying accuracy. It is often difficult to gauge how exactly the ball will react upon impact.

Specialty shots: A- (Initial Score: A+). Please see all my mini-reviews for all the up-to-date info on the specialty shots. Thus far I have tested the club in the following circumstances: (i) the "hybrid-chip" up a short grass embankment to the green; (ii) a long fairway bunker; (iii) the-bend-around-a-tree-shot (both super fade and super draw); (iv) the into the strong wind shot; (v) the extreme downhill and uphill slope; and (e) the very wet rough shot.

This section has been quite fluid, as the club has performed miraculously in some shots (hybrid chip and around tree shot) and just OK in other shots (strong head wind shots). My take away from all the specialty shots is this: The YONEX is very versatile and useful in varying situations. You can be imaginative with this club!

Third party interest
: A (Initial Score: A-). I upgraded this section because I simply underestimated the amount of interest this club will gather. Indeed, almost every time I play with it (either at the course or range) someone will ask about it. It is simply amazing! Good thing, cause I like to talk about clubs, and thus, I like talking about the YONEX.

Great Write up interlooper! I too love the YONEX! I did change it tho, I put a midsize grip on mine a few weeks ago. I found that with the midsize grip, I seem to control it better. I have big hands for a little guy, and the midsize makes me feel like I can just blast it better now. I kept the original grip, still can be put back on if needed.

I know buddy...it was my club of the Outing for sure.....but the price tag scares me a bit

I think you should OEM one, Hanks. You loved this hybrid at demo day.

Nice report card Inter. I got to use my Hybrid twice this last round. I even usedit off the Tee. I hadnt had much success with it but It but its getting better. Got a nice draw instead of a hook. The shot is a piercing shot it doesnt go high but a nice line drive. Im actually looking 4 reasons to hit it more. Its tough because you dont want to use just to use it .I want to use to help my score. The other time I used it was about 215 out from a raised green I figured i would be short of the green but it actually was a nice shot small draw that roll up and over the back of the green. People think im nuts ,because I get happy when I hit a Bad shot good if you know what I mean. Heck I crushed the ball what wasnt to like. So what it rolled off green I was just impressed to hit it that good. Well next report in 2 days.

Great Write up interlooper! I too love the YONEX! I did change it tho, I put a midsize grip on mine a few weeks ago. I found that with the midsize grip, I seem to control it better. I have big hands for a little guy, and the midsize makes me feel like I can just blast it better now. I kept the original grip, still can be put back on if needed.

Thanks, froggy. I also may change the grip on it eventually, but I want to still test/review the original grip for the time being. Awesome that the new grip, combined with the YONEX is letting you blast it man. Good feeling, huh?

Back