TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

HELP....I'm thinking about getting a set of new irons as i think its time for some game improvement irons. After reading some these reviews, I guess I should consider these but has anyone compared 2.0 vs Razr X irons and which ones do you prefer?

I spent a couple hours at a shop hitting these two and the tale of the tape came down to the 2.0's for me. Similar distance, but a much better dispersion with the 2.0's and the feel to my hands just seemed more comfortable. But, that was for me and my swing and, as mentioned above, may not be what works best for you. Go hit them together and see what works. Good luck.

HELP....I'm thinking about getting a set of new irons as i think its time for some game improvement irons. After reading some these reviews, I guess I should consider these but has anyone compared 2.0 vs Razr X irons and which ones do you prefer?

I have never hit the Razr's, but, I can tell you that the 2.0's are spectacular. I would suggest going to your local golfsmith, or Golf Galaxy, or maybe even a full service range, and try them out for yourself. Then, get fitted so that whatever you decide, they are the proper length/lie for you.

Hit a bucket of balls yesterday to try and fix my slight pulls. Only hit the 7, 8, 9 irons because they are my "scoring" irons, and franky i haven't been scoring at all with them over my last 36 holes. I average 2.5 birdies a round and have exactly 0 in my last 2 rounds. Whats funny is my scores are solid (80, 81) but I am just not firing at flags like I am used to. Like I said earlier in the thread, I have been working on my driver swing a ton lately because I was struggling with it, and the tweaks I have done to my driver swing (which have been working VERY well) are crossing over into my irons. This is fine by me as my ball striking with all of my clubs has improved, but I need to be more confident in where the ball is going to go with my irons. My ball flight has changed a bit to a slight draw, from a slight fade. My distances haven't changed, but the ball flight is a little lower, (which for me is good), but the draw has put me on the left side or left of almost every green in my last round. I am just having a tough time trusting it.

My goal in this range session is to work on my new swing, but also just figure out where the ball is going to go (most of the time) and begin to trust it so I can take it to the course.

FYI: My swing change is minor, but it consists of keeping my hands and arms a little closer to my body (my right elbow tends to get too far away from my body and makes me over the top), and keeping the club "slotted" better along with keeping my hands ahead of the ball. The result has been a slightly flatter backswing and an inside/out follow through, causing the draw.

Conditions: 72 degrees and sunny with light winds
Balls: Below average range balls (top flite)
Hitting off of a mat (70 balls in a bucket)

9 iron: My great contact rates have continued through this session. I had 0 fat and 1 thin (still good result) swings over 20+ balls. I was consistantly getting 145-150 yards with the 9 iron, (guessing it translates into 150-155+ with better balls), and a slightly lower ball flight than I am used to. I was aiming for the 150 yard marker (lasered to 146), and using it as my flag. The draw continued to be my prominant ball flight. The first 4 balls started just left but drew just a bit and ended about 6-8 yards left of the marker. I started aiming about 5 yards right of the marker and pulled a couple even further left with good distance and contact. I was over compensating, when I really needed to not compensate at all. I realized my issue, continued to aim a few yards right, and trusted the swing. I started to pepper the 150 marker! 5 of the next 10 would have been within makable putt distance (within 12 feet), and the other 5 more than likely would have hit the green in some capacity (within 30 feet) and most were right on line. The one thin shot I did hit would have maybe rolled into the hole. It was right on line and the distance was pretty good as it hit about 10 yards short and rolled past the marker about 10 or 12 feet. I hit a couple of others off the toe while they lost a few yards of distance, the ball looked similar in the air. I could tell by the sound and feel that they were hit just outside the good zone. Once again the foregiveness of the 2.0's shining through. I continued to hit solid shots with the 9 and as I finished up, I was feeling way more confident with my current swing.

8 iron: Much like the 9 iron, I hit the 8 iron very well. The problem I had here was there was no marker that was the correct yardage for me to aim at with the 8. The markers go from 150 to 175 and with these range balls, my 8 iron yardage is about 160-165ish. The 175 marker lasered to 170 so I used it as my directional marker knowing I would usually be a few yards short with the 8 iron. My ball flight with the 8 was similar to the 9. Mostly slight draws to straight and my distances were pretty consistent at 160+ (except for a couple). My dispersion was pretty good, not great and I am pretty certain (tough to have exact stats without greens and flags) that out of the 20 balls I hit with the 8 iron, 3 were very good (10 feet and under), 6 were good (within 20 feet), 4 would have been within 30-35 feet and the others would have probably been off the green slightly or in a bunker. All had good contact (none fat or thin), but I did get a couple of the nuke jobs that happen on occasion with the 2.0's (both were near the 175 yard marker when they hit the turf). The other slight misses were off the toe a bit (my classic miss) which lose just a few yards but for the most part stay right on line and actually are usually pretty decent results. Overall a big improvement, but still some work needs to be done.

7 iron: I hit just over 20 balls with the 7 iron with some mixed results, but mostly improved. I found that I was pulling the 7 a little more than the others. Not only a draw, but pulling the ball as well. The first few were quite a bit left of target and long! I think I was de lofting the club as a result of the pulls and was getting a few extra yards. As I settled in the pulls corrected themselves and I hit some solid shots. I was aiming for the 175 yard marker. I discounted the first few pulls and tallied my results with the final 17 balls. 6 would have been within 20 feet, 4 would have been within 35 feet, 5 would have been near the green or in a bunker, and 2 were just plain not good at all! The 2 bad were both fat and way short (the only 2 fat shots out of 70). I also had a couple off the toe with the 7 iron with similar results, lost a few yards, but really not bad.

Overall the swing change seems to be working for me and I am beginning to trust my draw. If I can only have 2 mis hits(fat) out of 70, a few off the toe (decent result), and 1 thin (good result) I am very happy. Would I like to have 0 mis hits? YES! Realistically I am just not that good. This is why I am such a big fan of the 2.0's. I need the forgiveness, yet I also want an iron that looks more along the lines of a players iron. I have come to the realization that I will mis hit one or two, (sometimes more), balls a round and this is where the 2.0's are saving me strokes. My thin hits almost always end up with positive results (unless I straight skull it), my toe shots are ok and I get good distance out of them, and even slightly fat shots get good distance. For me, there is no way I would ever play a blade, and I chuckle at the mid to high HC'ers who play blades or players irons because they like the look or they feel more confident with them. To me, there is just no way those factors can outweigh forgiveness on mis hits. You just lose so much distance and direction on mis hits with players irons or blades. If you are an average ball striker like me, the 2.0's will save you strokes nearly every round you play.

Great writeup tomahawk. I'm fighting a case of the pulls (with my irons & wedges) pretty bad right now as well. That along with a case of the pushes with the driver have me up in arms. I guess I need to pick one and work on just IT. Trying to fix two issues at the same time is a bad plan for me. The only saving grace I have in my game right now are the 2.0's saving my lowsy swing.

Good stuff, TH. Have you noticed any difference on the course in terms of the amount of spin the 2.0's put on the ball with the swing change?

Great review TH, sounds like our distances, flight with the irons seem similar as well as our misses. I like the 2 out of 70 fat shots, that's less than one a round and I could definitely live with that!

Good stuff, TH. Have you noticed any difference on the course in terms of the amount of spin the 2.0's put on the ball with the swing change?

Hard to tell Hawk. I haven't hit very many greens in the last 2 rounds and we haven't had much rain so all of our greens around here are rock hard. What I can tell you is I played the Penta in the first round and it was taking a big hop and stopping. I played a Z Star on Saturday and it was similar looking results, but the greens were harder! My ball marks showed a good deal of spin on the 6 greens I hit! HAHA When I was on with the high fade earlier this year, on occasion too much spin was hurting me.

I wish I could throw in some good input, but I have never hit those irons either. I will tell you that I'd find it hard to believe that any irons out there offer much more than these though.

Makes sense to me. Hopefully you can get back to hitting greens!

Hard to tell Hawk. I haven't hit very many greens in the last 2 rounds and we haven't had much rain so all of our greens around here are rock hard. What I can tell you is I played the Penta in the first round and it was taking a big hop and stopping. I played a Z Star on Saturday and it was similar looking results, but the greens were harder! My ball marks showed a good deal of spin on the 6 greens I hit! HAHA When I was on with the high fade earlier this year, on occasion too much spin was hurting me.

Makes sense to me. Hopefully you can get back to hitting greens!

Yeah, I am working on it! I think I am close. Let's hope! Going to the range again tonight, I will let you know if I make any progress.

I had a chance to spend some time with the standard Razr X irons and while they were good clubs, they did not offer me the same feel (more harsh) or forgiveness that the 2.0s possess. The thing I like most about the 2.0s is the feeling you get when you strike one perfect. You can see the ball rocketing out there but your hands can't tell that the ball was struck. Awesome!

I had a chance to spend some time with the standard Razr X irons and while they were good clubs, they did not offer me the same feel (more harsh) or forgiveness that the 2.0s possess. The thing I like most about the 2.0s is the feeling you get when you strike one perfect. You can see the ball rocketing out there but your hands can't tell that the ball was struck. Awesome!

That has been said many times on this thread. The feel of pure strikes with the 2.0's is just plain awesome. And the distance... impressive!! :)

Tomahawk, I have to hand it to you, you have been killing it in here lately, and giving great information. Hopefully I can get out again soon, but I am not going out on the course until I can follow through completely again.

Tomahawk, I have to hand it to you, you have been killing it in here lately, and giving great information. Hopefully I can get out again soon, but I am not going out on the course until I can follow through completely again.

Thanks bro. Sorry about your ankle. That just sucks so bad! Get better! I played alot of basketball and dealt with rolled ankles many times, ICE works wonders man. Every night ice that bad boy 30 minutes on, 30 off for a couple of cycles.

Thanks bro. Sorry about your ankle. That just sucks so bad! Get better! I played alot of basketball and dealt with rolled ankles many times, ICE works wonders man. Every night ice that bad boy 30 minutes on, 30 off for a couple of cycles.

I'll second his statement, great info as of late! Going to hit the range tonight, big bowling tournament all weekend. Oh, and the thing we're taught in coaching classes here for your sore ankle is this: RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Hopefully that can help get you back out there sooner.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I'll second his statement, great info as of late! Going to hit the range tonight, big bowling tournament all weekend. Oh, and the thing we're taught in coaching classes here for your sore ankle is this: RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Hopefully that can help get you back out there sooner.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I love that, good ole Treatment and Prevention of Athletic Injuries....RICE, love it.

I love that, good ole Treatment and Prevention of Athletic Injuries....RICE, love it.

Yeah solid reference there. RICE! Reminds me of college so much! Oh, the early 90's. Grunge, gangster rap, and Old E 40 oz. Good stuff. Maybe it was the malt liquor that helped my ankles? Hmmm. I kid.

Yeah solid reference there. RICE! Reminds me of college so much! Oh, the early 90's. Grunge, gangster rap, and Old E 40 oz. Good stuff. Maybe it was the malt liquor that helped my ankles? Hmmm. I kid.

Sure you do...sure you do....hehe

Thanks guys. I got the swelling out, but the tendons are all inflamed. Just need to get them to relax, but it is definitely getting closer. Luckily I have a chilled water machine that I used to ice my knee when I blew out the ACL/MCL/Meniscus, so I just prop it up every night and turn that bad boy on for a couple of hours.

Thanks guys. I got the swelling out, but the tendons are all inflamed. Just need to get them to relax, but it is definitely getting closer. Luckily I have a chilled water machine that I used to ice my knee when I blew out the ACL/MCL/Meniscus, so I just prop it up every night and turn that bad boy on for a couple of hours.

You got bad luck with your legs. HAHA Get well soon bro. I am headed to the range...

Had a great range session last night! Hit some very good irons shots with the 2.0's. I have been really concentrating on the slight swing changes and really working on pure contact.

Thursday, 09/22/11
Burner 2.0 w/ 120g stiff KBS Tour shaft PW, 9, 8, 7 iron testing
70 degress partly cloudy, light winds

I had a section of the range to myself so I added commentary, (not sure if that is good), but I am trying to descibe the ball flights, distances and accuracy. All of these videos are "1 take" and if I hit a bad shot, you see it. HAHA A couple of them are a little out of focus because I was trying to do this solo. They aren't bad, just not as crisp as I would like. Concentrate on the sounds. There has been much made of how good the 2.0's sound when hit well. There is a big difference and on some of these clips you can hear the difference quite well.

PW. (140-145 yards) Have been hitting this club very well. High ball flight and great distance. I tried a couple of choked down 3/4 shots with ok results. Chunky and Yorkem have been having good results with the 3/4 swings. I am still not comfy with it.

9 iron. (150-155 yards) This is where you can hear some difference. I hit one ball slightly fat, then turned around and tried to hit one thin and you can hear the difference pretty easily.

8 iron. (165-170 yards) One of my favorite clubs in the set. I hit 4 balls in this video all struck well, but one just a hair fat. At the end of the vidoe you can see the ball pattern on the face. It's pretty! :)

7 iron. This is my 175-185 yard club. Had a bad case of the pulls on the course with this club last week, but hit it well on the range this week. These shots were all struck well and would have been putts, with one being under 10 feet.

The range session went very well and I am figuring quite a bit out with the 2.0's lately. Slightly thin shots end up with average to good results almost every time. Toe shots work out surprisingly well too. Good distance (although you do lose a few yards), and the ball is fairly accurate. If you are going to miss with the 2.0's, thin or on the toe is the place to do it. Heel and fat are obviously less forgiving (as with any club), but the real story here is how good average strikes that are thin and toe'd are. Of course good strikes end up awesome and the distance feel and ball flight are just beautiful. It's all coming together for me, just in time for winter! HAHA

Wow! Pretty sweet write up and videos TH! I will say this, those are the most impressive mats I've ever seen. I love all the aids on them. I think you should avoid the 3/4 shots dude, you seem to hit the ball consistently well with the full swing.

Wow! Pretty sweet write up and videos TH! I will say this, those are the most impressive mats I've ever seen. I love all the aids on them. I think you should avoid the 3/4 shots dude, you seem to hit the ball consistently well with the full swing.

Gotta agree. Keep in mind, it is something I am working on to get rid of all of the fat shots, but your ball stiking, at least in the videos above, seems to be really good right now.

Thanks dude! I agree about the 3/4 stuff TC. It is something I have never been good at or comfy with.

I am not a fan of mats, but these are pretty nice. This range is just a couple of miles from my house. The alignment aids are cool, and thickness of the under padding make these mats pretty realistic.

Just a follow up on my range session yesterday with the Burner 2.0's. Here is a pic of my 8 iron after I hit 10 balls with it. You can see how good the pattern is, although just a hair out on the toe. Every one of these would have been on or near the green with 2 slight pulls that may have missed the green, but not by much. All contact was good to great and the ball flights were near perfect, straight to slight draw. I really can't ever remember having a tighter 10 ball pattern than this...EVER. It is really a testament to how much having fitted irons can help your ball striking. The 2.0's are really helping me improve!

gilfvidspics027.jpg

Back