Tired of Hollywood

imscottr

I Like Show Tunes!
Reaction score
Handicap
I saw on the news this morning that Hollywood is remaking Scarface. How in the world can you one-up one of the best movies ever made? Hollywood is on a tangent of "we're out of good idea's so lets just do remakes.'

Also coming to a theater near you:

Footloose
Ghost Busters
Mad Max
Dirty Dancing

Really? Dirty Dancing and Footloose?

I had to laugh when I saw that movie again on regular TV. There are so many curse words they didn't even try to voice over them. Just lots of silent moments. HaHaHa.

I saw on the news this morning that Hollywood is remaking Scarface. How in the world can you one-up one of the best movies ever made? Hollywood is on a tangent of "we're out of good idea's so lets just do remakes.'

Footloose
Ghost Busters
Mad Max
Dirty Dancing

I think because they were largely successful in their first run and this generation seems to enjoy seeing the "new version" of what came before that is why Hollywood is doing what its doing. I know more "kids" that LOVE the VH1 shows "I love the 80s etc) and for this I think that's why Hollywood is remaking so many of the successes of the past. I am a fan of some of the remakes but certainly not all by the way...

remakes are cheaper to make meaning greater profit margins. They do not need to spend nearly as much time and money on script development and the marketing budget is greatly reduced. From a studio's perspective, they would rather guarantee themselves a "double" versus swinging for the fences and striking out. Mad Max and Ghostbusters will spend a lot of money on special effects and 3D, but they will have a very large automatic following in the action/adventure fans. I suspect Ghostbusters will be less cutesy/funny and much more focused on special effects.

It's easy money, people will pay to go see them.

Kind of how they are remaking the first Spider Man already. It came out, what, 10 years ago maybe?

Footloose
Ghost Busters
Mad Max
Dirty Dancing

It is a sorry state of affairs. I can't think of one remade movie that is better than the original.

Kind of how they are remaking the first Spider Man already. It came out, what, 10 years ago maybe?

It is pretty bad that people will pay $10 to see this. And remaking scarface? Why do people think remaking classics is a good idea. I'm glad I was raised seeing the older movies and enjoy them first before these wannabe remakes.

But the movie "inception" does give us hope.

More importantly, women and tween-age girls will go see footloose and dirty dancing over and over again if the cast is right a la titanic. Movie integrity be damned, mo money mo money!!!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I can't think of one remade movie that is better than the original.

Ocean's Eleven
Gone in 60 Seconds

Taaaaap-a-talk....tap tap taaap-a-talk....give it a little tap-a-rooonie...

I don't mind the remakes that much if they are done right. Some are bad, some are good. Just about every story that can be told has been told. It's when you find one that hasn't been told you get the potential for a great movie (think Forrest Gump). Darn near every movie I watch now you can predict what will happen just based on something similar you saw. All romantic comedies are pretty much the same. All war movies are about the same. Again, when you get one that breaks the mold, you get a great movie.

My two biggest Hollywood complaint are all the superhero movies and excessive special effects. I don't think I've ever read a comic book in my life and the only superheros I remember were those on the Saturday morning cartoon in the 80's. I don't know who is interested in these characters and movies, but it ain't me. Many movies today are filled with effects and CGI and as well as they are done, you can still tell. I much prefer the movies that are shot on location with limited special effects. Stunts are fine, and special effects can make a movie great, they just don't need to go overboard. When you are watching something and can tell that half the movie is fake, it's just too much for me.

Footloose - Julianne Hough

That's enough for me to go see it.

But to be honest, I like remakes. I've never seen many old movies and don't really like watching them so for me it works.

More importantly, women and tween-age girls will go see footloose and dirty dancing over and over again if the cast is right a la titanic. Movie integrity be damned, mo money mo money!!!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

All I can think about with remakes of footloose and dirty dancing is a terrible cross of high school musical and glee.

The Batman remakes with Christian Bale have been better than the previous Batman movies. The old Batman with Adam West were not that good and pretty corny. The Batman with Michael Keeton was ok, but when they had a differentactor play Batman those just got down right dumb.

What is worse than the remade movies is making movie versions of bad television shows (Starsky and Hutch, Charlies Angels, Dukes of Hazard)

If I remember right Scarface was an updated version of a movie from the 30's on the life of Al Capone.

If I remember right Scarface was an updated version of a movie from the 30's on the life of Al Capone.
Correct, so the Al Pacino Scarface is a remake, and so in essence, they are re-making a remake.

If you mean appreciate the classics because the new ones are usually terrible then you're right
Remakes help the newer, younger generation appreciate the older classics.

I saw on the news this morning that Hollywood is remaking Scarface. How in the world can you one-up one of the best movies ever made?

I can not disagree with that statement enough. In my opinion Scarface is so overrated it is beyond laughable.

Remakes help the newer, younger generation appreciate the older classics.

Really? Most remakes I have seen are abominations of the originals. 9 times out of 10 a remake is seriously lacking as compared to the original. There is no reason for younger people not to watch the original, a good movie is not going to be dated. No matter how old it is it can still be relevant.

I can not disagree with that statement enough. In my opinion Scarface is so overrated it is beyond laughable.

Agree, a gross glorification of criminal behavior is not a good movie, it may have been well made and all but not something I want to watch.

The Batman remakes with Christian Bale have been better than the previous Batman movies. The old Batman with Adam West were not that good and pretty corny. The Batman with Michael Keeton was ok, but when they had a differentactor play Batman those just got down right dumb.

Batman with Adam West was a TV series not a movie and was supposed to be funny or off beat, it was the era of the anti-hero and making fun of a super hero was the whole idea...

Agree, a gross glorification of criminal behavior is not a good movie, it may have been well made and all but not something I want to watch.

To me, that movie is bad because it's just not that good. I don't think it was that well made. I thought the movie missed the point it was trying to make. It wasn't a movie glorifying criminal behavior, it was a movie showing how sad and destructive that behavior is. But that point is so missed it ruin sthe movie.

I just think that Scarface is a bad movie begining to end.

I knew they were remaking Footloose....but Dirty Dancing????

Let me guess instead of ballroom dancing they will be fist pumping and doing the jersey turnpike right :alien:

To me, that movie is bad because it's just not that good. I don't think it was that well made. I thought the movie missed the point it was trying to make. It wasn't a movie glorifying criminal behavior, it was a movie showing how sad and destructive that behavior is. But that point is so missed it ruin sthe movie.

I just think that Scarface is a bad movie begining to end.

Busted, all I ever saw was the previews and that was enough for me.

Back