Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

No luck today, all of us archers were in bad form. On the positive side, I made lots of bad swings with the BGHW and most of them would have still been in the fairway. If short. And ugly.

So what he think of BGHW! I swear I can't stop thinking about that club and getting it out on the course to see how it does!!! Hopefully, I can get a crack at it. HINT HINT!!
I will be pimping THP and the BGHW tonight - we'll see if I can get another signup and forum post out of it! :banana:

So what he think of BGHW! I swear I can't stop thinking about that club and getting it out on the course to see how it does!!! Hopefully, I can get a crack at it. HINT HINT!!

I think you should do yourself a favor and buy one hehe, cant hurt.

I am hoping to get out after work today since I will be so busy with work saturday and sunday and wont be able to play. If the weather is nice instead of raining like it was yesterday I will have some videos and a update.

Guys, I just wanted to take a moment to discuss my really poor session at the range and how the BGHW performed.

9/22/11 Driving Range
70*, 0-5mph SW winds - another beautiful SoCal evening...too bad my swing wasn't so beautiful.

I don't know what was going on with me Thursday night. I started out well with my Big Bertha 2006 8 iron. Everything felt flush, I was swinging with that nice tempo I'm searching for ... I thought all was good. I switch to the BGHW, swing feels good, hit 10 straight shots with nice results. Jump to my 4h, hit a mix bag, some good, some not so good, some ugly...but nothing out of the ordinary. Then I jump back to the BGHW ... and it all fell apart.

Over the top, too quick, lifting head, poor stance, too slow, decelerate at impact, hands open, hand closed ... uh, it was just one of those days. The thing is .. as long as the club head was reasonably close to square the BGHW saved me with not-horrible results. For the most part, I would be in the fairway or even in the rough of the same fairway, but rarely so bad that I would be a fairway or two over or in OOB. Generally short, sometimes very short, but still all in all, not horrible.

As for some of my worst swings, well, not even the BGHW could save me ... unless it can magically transform itself into a xistera from Jai alai. Yesh, some of them swings were that bad.

Anyways, just a short tidbit on results on a bad day.

Date- 9/23/11
Conditions- 63* Sunny No Wind, Very Wet Fairways & Greens
Testing Club- Boccieri Golf Heavy 5 Wood
Purpose- Overall Performance To Improve My Game

Ball Used- Srixon Q-Star

Hey everybody I was able to sneak 9 holes in after I got off work and my new job interview, I had a couple videos I took but for some reason they are not uploading so they will have to wait. I only hit about 15-20 balls on the range before my round since it was so late and running out of daylight and I 95% of those dead straight with a nice high trajectory, I went to the first tee with a lot of confidence to say the least. I played pretty darn well and ended up with a +3 38. I used the Heavy Wood 3 times during my 9 holes and here are the results.

Shot 1- Hole 1 360 Yard straight par 4 with traps and trees right and more trees left. I pulled the Heavy Wood instead of driver because I came straight from the range and was hitting it great on the range, I aimed right down the middle and smoked this tee shot, high and straight and pretty long, around 220-225 yards dead center of the fairway. Remember I said I could really go after it with the Heavy Wood and get a great result most of the time? This was one of those shots, I really went after this one and was rewarded, stuck my 2nd shot to around 8 feet and made the birdie putt to start my round!!! Fantastic start

Shot 2- Par 4 295 Yard dogleg left, I pulled out the Heavy Wood and got a little greedy on this one, I aimed down the left side trying to just get past the corner and smoked this tee shot as well but I pulled it a little left and ended up in the trees, if I would of aimed down the middle it would of been perfect and on the left side of the fairway but I didn't, this cost me a shot at par and ended up making a bogey. This was just my normal miss and not the clubs fault at all, also just me being dumb and getting greedy.

Shot 3- Par 3 200 Yard straight with trees and OB left and trees and front green side bunker right. The pin was on the back of the green but dead center. I took dead aim at the flag and hit a great tee shot, high and straight and right at the flag, ball landed about 3 feet short of the hole and about a foot right of it, rolled passed the hole and on to the back fringe. I 2 putted for par. Another great shot with the Heavy Wood!

I know this sounds like a broken record but I cant help it, the Heavy Wood is just so easy to hit and performs great out of so many lies, whether your hitting it from the tee, fairway, rough, fairway bunker or straight dirt it performs flawlessly. If you are a guest reading this review please sign up and join this great forum, THP is a great place be and get out there and hit some Boccieri Golf equipment if possible! Thats it for now, as soon as youtube starts being nice I will get the videos up.

Nice job 10yard and congrats on the 38! That is solid man.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Nice job 10yard and congrats on the 38! That is solid man.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Thanks cooky, I think like the last 6 out of 7 rounds have been in the 30's (9hole rounds), last time I played 18 I think I shot a 78 or 77, have the card around here somewhere. Im telling ya the Heavy Wood has really help me dude, it has set me up in so many good positions.

Date- 9/23/11
Conditions- 63* Sunny No Wind, Very Wet Fairways & Greens
Testing Club- Boccieri Golf Heavy 5 Wood
Purpose- Overall Performance To Improve My Game

Ball Used- Srixon Q-Star

Hey everybody I was able to sneak 9 holes in after I got off work and my new job interview, I had a couple videos I took but for some reason they are not uploading so they will have to wait. I only hit about 15-20 balls on the range before my round since it was so late and running out of daylight and I 95% of those dead straight with a nice high trajectory, I went to the first tee with a lot of confidence to say the least. I played pretty darn well and ended up with a +3 38. I used the Heavy Wood 3 times during my 9 holes and here are the results.

Shot 1- Hole 1 360 Yard straight par 4 with traps and trees right and more trees left. I pulled the Heavy Wood instead of driver because I came straight from the range and was hitting it great on the range, I aimed right down the middle and smoked this tee shot, high and straight and pretty long, around 220-225 yards dead center of the fairway. Remember I said I could really go after it with the Heavy Wood and get a great result most of the time? This was one of those shots, I really went after this one and was rewarded, stuck my 2nd shot to around 8 feet and made the birdie putt to start my round!!! Fantastic start

Shot 2- Par 4 295 Yard dogleg left, I pulled out the Heavy Wood and got a little greedy on this one, I aimed down the left side trying to just get past the corner and smoked this tee shot as well but I pulled it a little left and ended up in the trees, if I would of aimed down the middle it would of been perfect and on the left side of the fairway but I didn't, this cost me a shot at par and ended up making a bogey. This was just my normal miss and not the clubs fault at all, also just me being dumb and getting greedy.

Shot 3- Par 3 200 Yard straight with trees and OB left and trees and front green side bunker right. The pin was on the back of the green but dead center. I took dead aim at the flag and hit a great tee shot, high and straight and right at the flag, ball landed about 3 feet short of the hole and about a foot right of it, rolled passed the hole and on to the back fringe. I 2 putted for par. Another great shot with the Heavy Wood!

I know this sounds like a broken record but I cant help it, the Heavy Wood is just so easy to hit and performs great out of so many lies, whether your hitting it from the tee, fairway, rough, fairway bunker or straight dirt it performs flawlessly. If you are a guest reading this review please sign up and join this great forum, THP is a great place be and get out there and hit some Boccieri Golf equipment if possible! Thats it for now, as soon as youtube starts being nice I will get the videos up.
Nice update and its nice to see that you and I seem to be getting some of the same results off the 5 wood except that you are a bit longer than I am. Nice 38 also!

Update:

11/23/11
Conditions: Sunny, no wind, and 55 degrees.

Purpose: General practice, working on trying to hit a lower shot, and just taking advantage of a nice day for this time of year, don't know how many are left.

Well the weather and my schedule finally came together this afternoon, so I got out to the range to hit the heavy 3w. I haven't touched a club in five days so I thought it would be interesting to start off with the heavy 3w. Usually when I hit the heavy 3w first after hitting nothing else my first few shots are a little chunky, but not today, the first couple were about as good as I can do.

Overall I hit the heavy 3w well today, high, but penetrating flight, and decent distance considering the cool temperature. They were flying maybe 210 or a little better. I don't have exact distances, but I know for sure that I can't reach spots on the range that I could just a few weeks ago. But then that's just the breaks of living this far north, and has nothing to do with the club.

I did manage to hit some nice low-ish shots by deliberately flattening my swing, or at least that's what I perceive to be doing. I'll have to try and get that on video because it's so easy to think I'm doing something different when I'm not. I once had convinced myself that I could hit a ball with three different swings, but the video camera blew that right up in my face. Turns out I had only been focusing on three different 'feels' or aspects of my swing, but on video they looked amazingly similar. If not exactly the same. lol

Not really anything new to report about the heavy 3w, except I think I have an idea as to why I often hit the ball better on the course with the Boccieri 3w, than I do on the range. I think it might just be simple fatigue from hitting shot after shot on the range, which doesn't happen on the course. I noticed today that my shots went from straight, to a fade, and eventually to a banana slice as I hit one after another without any break in between. I can do that with my driver and it takes longer for the ball to start leaking right than it does with the heavy 3w.

The setting sun gave me a good light source to show the wear marks on the face and sole, so I snapped a few pics. Like 10yd and others have noted, they are mostly in or around the middle of the face. The marks near the heel came from mishits out of long grass, at least that's only time I can remember hitting some off the heel.

BGHWFace.jpg

This one didn't come out like I had hoped, the club looks a lot more dull than it really is right now, because of the angle I guess. The brush marks on the bottom are very light, no deep scratches at all. A buffing wheel and some jewelers rouge would quickly make it look almost new again. imo

BGHWBottom.jpg

The brush marks also suggest that the club is coming in open a lot, which wasn't mystery anyway based on the ball flight I often see. I'm hoping the weather holds out tomorrow so I can get out to the course.

Last edited:
Great stuff BBB, the sole on these have held up really well IMO, one of the things I was worried about at the beginning of the testing

Great stuff BBB, the sole on these have held up really well IMO, one of the things I was worried about at the beginning of the testing

I know what you mean because I was thinking the same thing. With the amount of sand they use at the range, the grass is more like a scotch brite pad on the soles of clubs. It started scuffing up the bottom of my irons pretty quickly.

I know what you mean because I was thinking the same thing. With the amount of sand they use at the range, the grass is more like a scotch brite pad on the soles of clubs. It started scuffing up the bottom of my irons pretty quickly.

My range actually isnt to sandy, has a lot of crabgrass this time of year though

Great updates guys. My sole has worn nicely too. The muni I'm hoping to play Monday has very sandy tee boxes this time of year, so I look forward to seeing how that affects the sole. Unfortunately, I can't make it to the course this weekend, so I lent the BGHW to my cousin who is playing tomorrow. After this he has to get his own! lol.

...and I'm still waiting for my tripod and smartphone adapter so I can take some videos! Arrgh...c'mon Amazon!!!

I am hoping to get out Monday after work, working all day tomorrow(9-7) so no golf for me. I was sitting here thinking about those heel shots and I want to give them another shot with the Heavy Wood to see if I have the same results as the last time's on the range.

I am hoping to get out Monday after work, working all day tomorrow(9-7) so no golf for me. I was sitting here thinking about those heel shots and I want to give them another shot with the Heavy Wood to see if I have the same results as the last time's on the range.

I was hoping to get on the course today, but it rained all day till nearly sunset.

Well, I got a range session in yesterday and short warmup and 4 man scramble today and I feel like I'm going to become a broken record...

Range Session: 70s slight breeze nothing to write home about though... As usually my new range and warmup routine is basically set in stone at this point. Half wedge shots, full wedge shots, move to the BH3W groove that full swing! I hit probably 15 shots off the tee to start as this is absolutely my favorite par 4 tee club now. I can barely pull a draw out now, but its so small maybe 3 yards. Otherwise when I step on this club, I get a nice fade to baby cut. And when I slow it down, its straight or perhaps the almost baby cut of at most 3 yards. Off the deck, I'm becoming more consistent but now I'm completely sold on this club off the tee, and long par 5 approaches my confidence is just off the charts. To the point where I don't even see trouble so sometimes NOT GOOD!

I like to use this club in range sessions when I feel like I'm getting too handsy or my tempo starts to take a dump and bring it back in line after a few swings of the BH3W.

Today at the scramble, the BH3W was money. I was most often the anchor taking the 4th shot just about every time. My buddies only hit driver on every par 4 and when we didn't have one in the fairway guess who was left to clean up the dirty work? This guy! And all 4 times off the tee, I was 245-265 center to right side of the fairway with the BH3W. The BH3W was also responsible for us reaching 2 par 5 greens in 2. My buddies all wanted to swing it and did with practice swings but no one attempted to hit a ball with it.

Only one truly thought it was "Heavy" and he kept calling it that every time I brought it out, but the other 2 swung it and felt the effect the backweight has at the top during transition but neither thought it was truly "heavy".

Undoubtedly this club is a new favorite and clutch club. I really really REALLY want to swing all the heavy line now. I almost feel like I NEED to try them. The consistency I've developed and unreal confidence with this club in my hand its just unreal. Sorry to sound like a commercial but these are 100% honest thoughts with this club now.

Nice update spiff, its been raining here the last 2 days plus I had to work both yesterday and today so no golf this weekend, should be able to get out early this week and play. 245-265 with a 3 wood is huge dude, I would take that all day long with a driver let alone a 3 wood

Wow Spiff! 245-265 is about my average with my driver! I'd use this club on every par4 too if I hit that it far consistently. I hit one around 240 a while back (in one of the vids I posted), but that was with a tailwind and a hard fairway. Maybe you already mentioned it, but did you hit your 3w that far?

Impressive distance with the Heavy Wood, that's seriously long with a 3 Wood, and to be consistently that long is amazing.

I have some more thoughts coming this evening on my round with the Heavy Wood today. All I can say is, I still love this club.

That's so sweet, Spiff! Nothing better than being the cleanup guy for your scramble ... and delivering the goods! Go BGHW!

Thanks all for the kind words! Its been a lot of fun!

Wow Spiff! 245-265 is about my average with my driver! I'd use this club on every par4 too if I hit that it far consistently. I hit one around 240 a while back (in one of the vids I posted), but that was with a tailwind and a hard fairway. Maybe you already mentioned it, but did you hit your 3w that far?

I was so inconsistent with my previous 3 fairway woods, I went through a Titleist 909, Cleveland HiBore, and Callaway Diablo and distance wise I was probably getting the most out of the 909 and it was comparable if not the same. I think its even more fun with this testing because at first I was hitting this anywhere from a 220+ carry and have now brought it up to the 245 carry with the 260ish roll.

What do you average with the driver Spiff?

What do you average with the driver Spiff?

Well internet golf and all, I'd say its around 280+ but inconsistent. I'd also attribute some of my distance to Altitude as when I talk with most that is there first response.

back from my week in orlando.

I decided to try the driver all week so I was only able to use the boccieri from the deck (for the most part).

For a change I actually drove the ball well off of the tee with my driver, I struggled with the 3W. It was not my usual struggle (fade/slice) but all of a sudden everything I hit with the 3W as well as my 3H, which unfortunately lead to some unplanned penalty strokes.

Each day I played I thought I had it ironed out on the range, but once I took my swing to the course, the same thing was happening over and over. Im going to try and get out to the range this week before the weekend to see if I can figure out what is going on, and hopefully make some changes to get everything back in order.

Well internet golf and all, I'd say its around 280+ but inconsistent. I'd also attribute some of my distance to Altitude as when I talk with most that is there first response.

I had considered the altitude, but I don't know how much it affects distance. Even with a little help from altitude, that's some really good 3w shots bud.

Back