Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

While I still love this club, I realize that I need to get back on the range with it. I think a lot of the consistency I see with the Heavy Wood is due to spending a lot of time on the range with it dialing it in. During my round yesterday, I hit the Heavy Wood off the tee twice, both had good distance, but was pushing the ball to the right. Interesting enough, I was hitting it fine off the fairway, with great distance and ball flight, right on line with my target. Odd to see such different results from the tee to the deck, but that's what I got from it yesterday.

During my rounds, I have a tendency to rush my shots, and "overswing", definitely with my 3W trying to hit it harder for more distance. One thing with the Boccieri is that I do not try to kill the ball, just let the club do the work for me. I see good distance out of it, and perhaps I am sacrificing distance by using a slower swing than I am capable of, but the results with the swing I am using on it are consistent for me and I dont want that to change.

Think I am going to get a range session and track my shots. See what happens with results from hitting with a smooth, slower swing vs trying to swing a little bit harder for more distance.

Enjoying the continued success that most of you are seeing. Don't let it get in your head, Mike!

Enjoying the continued success that most of you are seeing. Don't let it get in your head, Mike!

oh no doubt, just like anything else, gotta get it ironed out. Wasnt the club's fault, thats for sure

I know that feeling well ;)

OK! Where do I start really in regards to this Boccieri Heavy 3 Wood! After a little begging from my cousin (d_in_la) since he couldn't play a round this weekend with me (or just didn't want to go and have me embarrass him with his own club) :call-me:. Anyway, thankfully he did let me take his club out to Montebello Golf Course, CA to play 18 with it. Now, to be able to get a good number of shots with it, I played the whole round Driving off the tee with the 3 wood and I was just as surprised with this club as I was on the range last week. I definitely hit the ball further then I do with my current 3 wood. I really didn't lose much distance this round by not using my driver! I'll admit just like at the range that my first shot went left but by 2nd shot I was dialed in once again and ALL my shots from that point went exactly in the direction I wanted. Let me just say that I personally do LOVE this club and all that it offers me. On this course, you have narrow fairways from the tee box and I was able to get a nice mid-high flight ball flight consistently and a little run as I hit the fairway on most of my shots. My buddies clearly saw a difference with my tee shots as well as my fairway shots and they were going clearly further then anything they were hitting :bashful: even off the tee.
I really do believe in this heavy club and have to admit that the backweight system with the slighter short STIFF shaft definitely helps me in holding the club and just have a great feel for what I'm about to do. I admit that with the weight I love the feel of when I take the club back as I have slowed my take back and just whip it around after a slight minor pause at the top of my back swing has helped me dial in on that ball and just crush it without overswinging. The confidence I have walking up to the ball to hit with this club is GREAT!!! I've added about 15 yards more average than my previous 3 wood. I really can't go wrong with that. Well, overall, I would give this club a "A" rating from me as it has clearly improved my game without changing much in my swing or ball but simply just using a new piece of equipment is great!!!!

Nice update, Cous ... NOW GET YOUR OWN! :bye:

great writeup budda, glad to see if worked out so well for you

OK! Where do I start really in regards to this Boccieri Heavy 3 Wood! After a little begging from my cousin (d_in_la) since he couldn't play a round this weekend with me (or just didn't want to go and have me embarrass him with his own club) :call-me:. Anyway, thankfully he did let me take his club out to Montebello Golf Course, CA to play 18 with it. Now, to be able to get a good number of shots with it, I played the whole round Driving off the tee with the 3 wood and I was just as surprised with this club as I was on the range last week. I definitely hit the ball further then I do with my current 3 wood. I really didn't lose much distance this round by not using my driver! I'll admit just like at the range that my first shot went left but by 2nd shot I was dialed in once again and ALL my shots from that point went exactly in the direction I wanted. Let me just say that I personally do LOVE this club and all that it offers me. On this course, you have narrow fairways from the tee box and I was able to get a nice mid-high flight ball flight consistently and a little run as I hit the fairway on most of my shots. My buddies clearly saw a difference with my tee shots as well as my fairway shots and they were going clearly further then anything they were hitting :bashful: even off the tee.
I really do believe in this heavy club and have to admit that the backweight system with the slighter short STIFF shaft definitely helps me in holding the club and just have a great feel for what I'm about to do. I admit that with the weight I love the feel of when I take the club back as I have slowed my take back and just whip it around after a slight minor pause at the top of my back swing has helped me dial in on that ball and just crush it without overswinging. The confidence I have walking up to the ball to hit with this club is GREAT!!! I've added about 15 yards more average than my previous 3 wood. I really can't go wrong with that. Well, overall, I would give this club a "A" rating from me as it has clearly improved my game without changing much in my swing or ball but simply just using a new piece of equipment is great!!!!

Nice "guest" review!!! Glad you enjoyed it!!

I've wanted to try one of these out but can't find any locally. I did hit a Heavy Wedge and I thought it was...interesting. I think I needed more time to adjust to the weight/balance.

I've wanted to try one of these out but can't find any locally. I did hit a Heavy Wedge and I thought it was...interesting. I think I needed more time to adjust to the weight/balance.

I could not either for the hybrids. If you order from Boccieri online, you can get free shipping via FedEx and a 30 day money back guarantee. I ordered one hybrid directly from them and one from tgw.com so they would have done only store credit on the 30 day return.

Worth the slight risk IMO!

Tappin' from my iPad!

I could not either for the hybrids. If you order from Boccieri online, you can get free shipping via FedEx and a 30 day money back guarantee. I ordered one hybrid directly from them and one from tgw.com so they would have done only store credit on the 30 day return.

Worth the slight risk IMO!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Once I land my next gig (soon hopefully, fingers crossed), I'll be taking a looong look at the wedges, the driver and the hybrids. Maybe I'll make it to The Outing. No doubt the experience with the BGHW has opened my mind to the rest of the Boccieri Golf line.

even though it may rain AGAIN, im going to go out and hit some ball and hopefully see if I can hit the Boccieri (and everything else) straight again. Im hoping it was just a case of me overswinging and maybe getting away from the "hitting to right field" that I had been trying with my driver.... will report back soon

Well no golf again for me today, more rain and I am sicker than a dog from working in 55* rainy weather all weekend. Hopefully get out thursday

A little range later and maybe 9 or 18 on Thursday. I'll put up a quick post tonight and something more thorough Thursday evening.

Just got off the range. Got a video or two to post up and some thoughts...

Ever had a range session that just all around great and gets you pumped up about your game? I just did, feel great.

Just got off the range. Got a video or two to post up and some thoughts...

Ever had a range session that just all around great and gets you pumped up about your game? I just did, feel great.

Can't wait to watch em w.e.!

I want one of these bad, I'll admit it. Yesterdays rounds with the HH just solidified my want.

9/27/11 - Range Session, BGHW.

Out on the range this afternoon with the Heavy Wood, I was determined to get back in my groove with it. I had started to wonder if the honeymoon with the heavy wood was over, but decided to just get on the range and work with the club rather than get frustrated with it.

I was hitting the ball great off the deck, seeing some great distance, and most importantly hitting the ball straight! But what I really wanted to talk about is the shots I was seeing off the tee. I have not spent much time talking about hitting off the tee with the Heavy Wood, but after hitting some great shots today, wanted to post up what I was seeing.

Interesting enough, when hitting off the tee with the heavy wood, I was seeing a lower ball flight than I have gotten accustomed to. It took of with a much lower trajectory, and took it's time to rise up to a nice height before coming back down. Ball flight wasnt a bother though, as I was still seeing some nice distance, and was hitting a beautiful draw. Now, I rarely if ever hit a draw. But today off the tee, with a lower ball flight, the ball started out right and then curved back around landing dead center of where I was aiming. Best of all was that I was seeing this on a consistent basis. I was still having my misses that were pushed right, but overall, was very excited to see myself having some returned success with the Heavy Wood.

Hit three shots in this video, the first and third shot had nice results. 2nd shot I hit it off the toe a bit and pushed it right.

This video I tried to get a shot of the ball flight I was seeing. First was higher, but the second shot was more consistent of what I was seeing today.

Excellent vids w.e.!

I really enjoy the sound of the H-FW, of course, I LOVE the sound of my HH.

Excellent vids w.e.!

I really enjoy the sound of the H-FW, of course, I LOVE the sound of my HH.

I really, really need to order my HH. Why do I procrastinate so much?

I really, really need to order my HH. Why do I procrastinate so much?

Because you like making the game harder than it has to be (as I said before). :D

Nice write up man! Glad to see you take the time to figure out what was going on with the 3 wood. Will check out vids when I am off the iPad....too long to load on YouTube.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Nice post WE, glad to see things coming back around for ya. It appeared from the videos that were taking the club pretty sharply inside, is that your normal swing path or were you working on trying to draw the ball?

I'm hoping to get out this weekend, been stuck in an infinite rain loop here since Saturday.

Because you like making the game harder than it has to be (as I said before). :D

Nice write up man! Glad to see you take the time to figure out what was going on with the 3 wood. Will check out vids when I am off the iPad....too long to load on YouTube.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I was getting frustrated with myself, then just slowed myself down, and got back to what I know works for me with the Heavy Wood, 3/4 swings. Once I "reset" myself, I was able to start swinging better.

Nice post WE, glad to see things coming back around for ya. It appeared from the videos that were taking the club pretty sharply inside, is that your normal swing path or were you working on trying to draw the ball?

I'm hoping to get out this weekend, been stuck in an infinite rain loop here since Saturday.

I normally take it inside, but after hitting a few draws, was defintely trying to figure out how to get a consistent draw on the ball, as it is not something I had been able to do previously with the Heavy Wood.

Beautiful afternoon in Florida, WE. Great videos. Watching your swing, listening actually, triggered something about the BGHW and my swing tempo that I wanted to talk about. So, instead of a range update I'll talk about that.

I know I've been harping on the tempo of my swing and how that important that has been to both my confidence but also overall improvement to my game. The BGHW has been great in helping me "feel" what is the right tempo for me. Having the weight in the grip area not only assists in getting into a better position, it also sends me great feedback when my transition is too quick. And I absolutely can't do both if my tempo is off. Having discussed the non-Stallone inspired over-the-top move, the BGHW has helped me hone in on another problem: sliding my hips to finish my swing instead of twist and uncoil.

On a good swing, I can feel the weight in the BGHW fire through and then pull to a stop every so slightly. That little pull-to-a-stop thing only occurs when my hips uncoil, the club stays inline and I end up balanced and facing forward. If I don't, I can feel the BGHW pull into a different direction and I definitely don't end up balanced and facing forward.

And when my swing has the right tempo, pause at the top and the hips uncoil, I can release the BGHW to create that "woosh" sound just before and through impact. (That's what your video got me to think about, WE.) The balance of the BGHW lends to creating that extra speed, loading the club etc ... all because it has helped isolate the other faults and with the BGHW in my hands, I know how to fix them. With lighter clubs, I don't get that same feedback.

Anyways, I hope that made sense. I know I still have lots to work on, my alignment can suck sometimes, my short game could be better and my putter ... I have moments of lucidity, but with the BGHW, I can feel my full swing improve every time I'm out there.

Back