Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Nice job Kelly and Yoccos, both of you are really putting up some solid swings on video.

Yoccos, you certainly are getting good spin which surprises me as I've always generated a bit too much, but getting very little with these. I've played Penta and ProV's so far. Might be the shaft or just not used to this larger style head. At any rate, great job.

Tap,Tap,Tap

For those of you Adams testers, has your testing, so far, changed your opinion about Adams clubs? And in particular would you want to see the dual Velocity Slot tech on drivers? It seems like a potentially cool way to increase forgiveness on another club...or after using the hybrids, do you think the velocity slot is more beneficial to distance?

(Sorry if this was discussed already.)

Due, I am really thinking the shafts have alot to do with the spin...T-Mex and I both playing the graphite shafts are seeing plenty of spin, I think the graphite coupled by the fact that he and I both tend to be diggers not sweepers is what is generating all the spin.

I have had no issues generating spin with these clubs including the 6H...granted it's not as much as the lower lofted irons but I have seen very good stopping power with the 6H even on thin shots.

I'm playing early tomorrow morning so I'll be sure to get some more video and post a full update tomorrow afternoon.

For those of you Adams testers, has your testing, so far, changed your opinion about Adams clubs? And in particular would you want to see the dual Velocity Slot tech on drivers? It seems like a potentially cool way to increase forgiveness on another club...or after using the hybrids, do you think the velocity slot is more beneficial to distance?

Great question D,

It hasn't changed my impression of Adams clubs, in fact one of my favorite clubs of all time was one of the orginal tight lies 5W's...I loved that thing. I have owned Adams fairway woods and hybrids before...this is my first time hitting Adams irons and I am very impressed.

For the second part of your question, to be honest, I can't believe they havent already put out a driver with the velocity slot technology...they already have a line of fairway woods with it(which if the hybrids continue to perform as good as they are now, I will be looking into), so a addition of a Driver with this technology is probably in the works and something that I would definately want to demo.

Due, I am really thinking the shafts have alot to do with the spin...T-Mex and I both playing the graphite shafts are seeing plenty of spin, I think the graphite coupled by the fact that he and I both tend to be diggers not sweepers is what is generating all the spin.

I have had no issues generating spin with these clubs including the 6H...granted it's not as much as the lower lofted irons but I have seen very good stopping power with the 6H even on thin shots.

I'm playing early tomorrow morning so I'll be sure to get some more video and post a full update tomorrow afternoon.

Bolded the digger part... Great observation! Can't wait for your update man. Hit them well.

I've hit some Adams hybrids in the past and thought they were good but just wasn't blown away. I think the velocity slot technology has added another dimension to forgiveness that makes me think. I started to really like the Adams Redlines and was almost close to purchasing. So I guess you could say I was already kinda leaning this way but testing just confirms what I was beginning to see. Adams really puts out a quality club that I'm seeing huge benefits from.

Nice job Kelly and Yoccos, both of you are really putting up some solid swings on video.

Yoccos, you certainly are getting good spin which surprises me as I've always generated a bit too much, but getting very little with these. I've played Penta and ProV's so far. Might be the shaft or just not used to this larger style head. At any rate, great job.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Thanks Due. As TTT mentioned it might also have to do with the fact we are also pretty big diggers. Look forward to seeing if youre able to get what you need for stopping power.

Great reviews so far guys and gal.

Yoccos, what shaft were you playing in your old irons? Glad to hear you can play without pain. Had a bout with golfer elbow earlier this summer and it sucked bad. Shaft and grip size change helped me.

Keep the great stuff coming guys. Love the videos, what are you recording them on?

I'm just recording on my flip video cam right now. I used my blackberry for the the close up vids because I left my flip at home. Both shoot really well.

I was playing True Tremper Flighted Uniflex shafts in my Razr X's. I believe they were 105 grams in weight so quite a difference. Still a light shaft but the graphite is probably significantly lighter. Although like I've said, because its been uniform across the set, its very seemless.

I don't know if it was the sound man Kellybo, your shot's have a crisp sound to them. Is that something that you've noticed with these Irons?

When I hit it like I'm supposed to, I have noticed a very crisp sound. I especially love the sound the hybrids give you on a well struck shot.

TMex I have to agree with everyone else. Your swing looks tight. Great post. And KB what a great post and vids.

Thanks Chunky!

Great reviews so far guys and gal.

Yoccos, what shaft were you playing in your old irons? Glad to hear you can play without pain. Had a bout with golfer elbow earlier this summer and it sucked bad. Shaft and grip size change helped me.

Keep the great stuff coming guys. Love the videos, what are you recording them on?

Thanks MHG! I'm using a Flip Ultra HD 8 GB video camera. I bought a tiny tripod for $3 off Ebay that I use when I'm alone.

To be honest, it has. If I hadn't tested these clubs, I would have probably leaned more towards other brands. Adams has definitely got my attention now. I would love to hit a driver with the velocity slot technology. It would have to be a great club from what I've seen with these hybrids.

No it doesn't change my opinion on Adams clubs because I always held their irons and hybrids in high regard. I hit the A12 pro hybrid at the outing and loved it. Also hit the CB2's and loved them as well. As far as woods are concerned I've always liked their FW's and were ok on the drivers (mostly because of shaft options). I've always liked that they were priced lower than their market segment in a particular product (except maybe their pro line hybrids).

Velocity Slot has already been incorporated into their Fast 11 driver. I think the tech's intention is to increase distance. You can tell that they built the forgiveness in their hybrids by other ways like lower CG by making a bit of a larger bottom weighted club and turf interaction by incorporating a wider sole (if you compare the A12 OS to the A12 pro the size is like night and day).

Man Spank I had forgotten about the A12 hybrid. I really liked that club at the outing

Man Spank I had forgotten about the A12 hybrid. I really liked that club at the outing

It was my hybrid pick of the week. Loved it with that Matrix Ozik shaft. OEM digs it as well (with a different shaft though).

Yes and yes. I've tried their drivers several times and can't say I came away overly impressed, but nothing real recently. You could call me one of those people who never really took Adams seriously on the iron's side, but these are making a believer out of me now.

As Spank mentioned, they are incorporating the Velocity slot into drivers and if you get a chance to hit these you'll feel the ball jump off the face. Between the velocity slot, these ProLaunch shafts and possibly a thinner hotter face I'm seeing more distance even with a higher ball flight.

Date: 9/24
Testing Conditions: Late round of golf.. Wasn't sure if I could even get 9 in. Last minute (got 6 in). Low 90's
Golf Ball Used: Taylormade Penta

Testing Purpose: Spin on approach shots with scoring clubs and forgiviness!

Overall:
I saw some really good performance again from this set of irons. I struggled a little bit with the 4h out of two spots but everything else was spot on. What I found in regards to the the spin on approach shots is if I catch the ball clean (not thin or fat) I get a lot of spin. So much itll come back a little. This is the 7-GW for me. If I catch it thin, I still get spin but it basically just keeps it from running too much. I have a couple shots to illustrate this. Distance wise, it's a little disappointing I'm not seeing more but I fully intend on going back to my gamer ball and seeing if that helps. I've had issues with the Penta in the past. I went, double, single, par, par, par, par before I had to stop. The Adams A12os played a pretty big part in that. Some highlights with a few clubs..

4h:
I tried a little punch shot under the tree and unfortunately I didn't quite pull it off. I then had a shot where the ball was below my feet. I've found that the rule where a ball will go left/right depending on the lie hasn't always applied with these irons. They're typically very straight. Not this time, went right on me, still a good distance but I just wasn't expecting it. Still early and I'm sure I'll get to know them over time!

PW:
I had one shot into a green with about 125 to the middle. I caught the ball low on the face. Distance was spot on but the ballflight was a lot lower. It was getting dark so I saw it hit the green, coming in hot and thought for sure I'd be chipping. To my surprise it had a good divot and only went another 4-5 feet. Pretty dang good for a lower shot coming in hot! Good to know it has that kind of stopping power.

7i:
I have a video. Above my feet so I grabbed my 7i, choked up and went to work. I expect this to by my 155 yard club and I had a little more than 160 to the end of the spot I wanted to layup. I actually ended up hitting it further than my normal distance, and just landed a little long. A miss calculation Ill take any day. The ball flight was hit with a little draw at the end. It felt effortless. The sound didnt translate well imo. HIt the green on my 3rd and two putted for par.

video:
Spoiler

8i:
Another couple vids.. Shows the shot and result. 142 I think to the middle and 156 to the end of the green. The hole was in the middle. My 8i which is my 145 was my weapon of choice. In the video I thought I pulled it but I rechecked where I was aimed and I hit it dead on. High ball flighted, landed hard and spun back a decent amount. I hit it probably further than I thought. The distances are still a mystery but I have a ballpark that I'm working with.

Shot:
Spoiler

Result:
Spoiler

Closing Thoughts:
Still really loving the transition from hybrid to hybrid iron to iron.. Just seemless which takes some underlying swing thoughts from my head. Its really no longer, Woods, hyrbids, irons, wedges.. Its not Woods, irons, wedges. Which doesnt seem like much but all my shots coming in (minus thos par 5's I get crazy) are the same. Consistancy is the key to good golf in a lot of instances. I'm also excited as I'm starting to hit the irons and hybrids further at times. I just want to get consistant distances and I'm hoping the gaps closes much like my previous set. Even if not, I still hit them plenty long. Finally, Ill mention this everytime but the pain free feeling after each round and practice session is amazing!

Nice post Tmex. Swing is looking good. I like how you are finding it easy to go from club to club, and how they kind of blend in to each other. Playing pain free is a huge improvement over some of your previous sets.

Wow Yoccos! Videos were awesome and echoing everyones thoughts your swing looks amazing! Glad to see your loving the graphite

Played 9 today - Home Course, Red Tees (played forward tees 4600 yards, rating 66.5/108)
Temp in mid 80's, wind 4mph
Played alone - pics only today
Score: 39

I decided to play the forward tees today as I've been struggling a bit with my driver this past week. Figured it would give me a better chance to score using other clubs off the tee if the driver got ugly.

Hole #1 Short uphill Par 5 (Birdie): Used 4 hybrid on my approach. Here's the result of that shot. Barely missed this putt for eagle.
Spoiler
Video1000000-01.jpg

Hole #2 Par 4(Par): Used 4H off tee right down the middle. Hit behind the ball with 7 iron left short just in front of green. Chipped close and saved par.

Hole #3 Par 3 (Double Bogey): Hit 4 hybrid and missed right, hit the cart path and went way too far. Pitch from rough (twice) and 2 putted for a double.

Hole #4 Par 4 (Bogey): Good drive, 5 hybrid pulled a little left into trap with wet sand, chipped just out of sand onto rough, chip, 1 putt

Hole #5 Par 3 (Bogey): Missed right of green with 9 iron, chip was a little long, 2 putt (Note: Hit a couple practice shots afterwards over water and landed close enough birdies. Bubbette is good!)

Hole #6 Par 4 (Par): 5 wood off tee, 8 iron approach to green, 2 putt. Here's my approach shot.

Spoiler
Video1100001-14.jpg

Hole #7 Par 4 (Bogey): Pulled driver into those darn trees again but couldn't go over this time because I was just behind a small dogwood tree and had no room to fly the ball. Took my 4 hybrid out and punched out low to about 20 yards short of the green, chip, 2 putt.

Hole #8 Par 5 (par): Driver, 4H straight down the middle, SW onto green, 2 putt.

Used 4 hybrid from about 190 out (played it safe)
Spoiler
Video1400010-17.jpg

Result of 4 hybrid
Video1500006-26.jpg

Hole #9 Par 4 (birdie): Driver, GW, 1 putt. Here's a picture of my approach. That shot felt so good off my club! This putt was all downhill although you can't really tell the angle. It was nice to finally make one on the last hole.
Spoiler

Video1600000-01.jpg

I'm really making some beautiful shots with these irons and hybrids. I think my favorite is the 6 hybrid although i didn't use it today. I'm having my usual mishits but have way more good hits than bad with the Adams clubs. I feel a really great round on the horizon! Just have to get a couple other clubs working to put it all together.

Last edited:
Nice round today Kb. Sounds like the adams are getting better and better for you.

Nice round KB. Really enjoyed the pictures and it looks like you had some great approach shots with the Adams today

Tmex swing looks good dude, really enjoyed your post. KB great job as well, 39 is a great score. Everybody is doing great in here, all the testers are really doing a good job with this testing

Yes and no. I already liked their wedges and carry two of them. I hadn't tried any of their other clubs except for the chipper. I never had a bad opinion on the other clubs because I had never hit any of them. I'd love to try a driver with the velocity slot. On the hybrids, I definitely think it helps with the distance. I like them so much more than the Nickents, and for me, it's not even close.

Velocity Slot has already been incorporated into their Fast 11 driver. I think the tech's intention is to increase distance. You can tell that they built the forgiveness in their hybrids by other ways like lower CG by making a bit of a larger bottom weighted club and turf interaction by incorporating a wider sole (if you compare the A12 OS to the A12 pro the size is like night and day).
I thought one of their drivers had it in it already, just wasn't sure of the model.

Jacqui and I are golfing with our house painter tomorrow and I'll have another update then. Should have video as well.

Well here is the recap of my weekend.
Sat I took the Adams to there first scramble for me. Over all I was very satisfied!! I was able to stick all the greens and three of the four shots were played. I was dealing with a fade all day and I managed to play the fade and let it work for me. Being that the ground on the course was finnally soft and the grass was greened up and a little fluffier from the recent rains, The scoring irons of the set were working very well. I was plugging green after green. There were a few shots with the pitching and gap wedge where the ball never left the point of impact. My friends and I didnt win but we did take third and now I have two free sleeves of pro v1's and a small trophy. There were a few guys that were like what the hell how do you have those clubs allready. I informed them of this great web site and when they asked me how they were working for me I told them I was very happy with there performance and that they should come here and read all the great reviews on this thread. All together the round with these clubs was great for me and I continued my trust in the clubs to do the work for ma and not try to force the shots. I beleive doing that is what is making me so successful with this great set of clubs.

Today i got 9 in this morning on a course I dont play much. Cherrokee rose in Hinesville, GA. It is a longer course than the one I play on base so I got alot more use out of the hybrids. This course was absolutly soaked and I loved it. I could swing away about 190 out and know if I hit the green with the 4 hybrid I knew it was going to stick. I pulled it off twice and was tottally amazed with myself. The gap wedge was working good for me to. Anything within 100 yd I was sticking the green with it. I even gave it a try out of some sand. That didnt work out so well but I knew I wasnt gonna make it with my 60 deg. I tried to get it out with minimal dig but the club bounced a little and didnt want to dig as much as I wanted it to.

Overall I am loving this set and I am getting the feel for each club in its each strong points.

hybrids: Very accurate for me, I just have to make sure I am doing my part by aiming right and giving it a good swing.

7,8: these are good when I need to work the ball left to right and nice high penitrating flight.

9,P,G: Very high and soft landing clubs. I can judge distances very easily and if I dont try to swing to hard very straght and predictable ball flight.

Nice job Kelly and Nick, great rounds as well.

Wow Kelly, almost an eagle! Great job and nice pic's.

I played 18 early Sunday and continued having great success with the Adams clubs. The course was really packed today so I wasn't able to shoot any video :sad:

The scoring clubs are really starting to work for me, the 9iron-GW are pretty much money right now...I am hitting them high and straight as an arrow...it seems like they never waiver from the target line even in the wind and they have great stopping power on the green.

Had a horrible day off the tee box so the score wasn't great, but the Adams a12 OS clubs performed very well. Rather than give you a hole by hole run down from today, I'll just give you my thoughts on each club.

4 Hybrid - I had several shots with it today including once off the tee on the longest par 3 on the course. I was fading it a little more today than the last several times out. Not a slice, just a high fade that was moving about 10 yards off the line that the ball started on. I was having the same issue with fairway woods and the driver so I think I just wasn't getting my hands through quite as well today. Best shot with this club today came on a par 4 197 yards out, by this time I knew I was fading it so I lined up at the left edge of the green...hit a high towering shot that seemed to float towards the green...at the top of the arc, it just turned over and floated towards the pin..it came down soft and rolled out less than 5 feet ending up about 6 feet from the hole.

5 hybrid - I only hit it twice today, but the best shot was a punch out of the trees on a par 5. I hit my driver into the trees on the right side of the fairway....low overhanging limbs about 10 yards in front with a narrow gap back to the fairway. I was about 260 out, so I choked down on the 5H and moved the ball to the back of my stance...opened up my front foot a little and aimed at the 100 yard marker on the far left side of the fairway. I made sure I stayed down on the ball and kept the club out in front of me with a really low cut off finish.....the ball came out about 6 feet off the ground...right under the trees and faded slightly...landing in the fairway and running out to 109 yards right in the middle of the fairway..absolutely perfect!

6 Hybrid - I hit this club 4 times today included twice on par 3 tee boxes, one of those I hit in very thin and hit a screamer right at the green...the ball hit the front of the green...had enough spin to stop after about 20 feet...not bad for a mishit! The best shot though came on the other par 3...wind was blowing about 25 mph from left to right...168 yards to the front, 176 to the pin...I aimed the ball between the left edge and the pin...and hit a beautiful high shot that just had a slow fade back towards the flag...the ball hit the green, hopped once and spun back about 2 feet leaving me less than 3 feet for birdie!

Transitional Irons 7 & 8 - I really cant say enough about these 2 irons, the extra mass behind the ball makes it very easy for these clubs to glide through the turf, as I have said before, I am a digger and have had issues with mid irons getting stuck in the ground leading to really fat chunky slices. I dont have that issue with these clubs, I am able to get through the ball and they produce nice high penetrating ball flights and create a nice amount of spin when I hit the greens. I used the 8 iron twice today on little chip and runs around the greens....almost holed one out from about 45 feet up hill...left it about 2 inches short of the cup.

Scoring Irons 9 Iron - GW - As I stated at the beginning of this review, these are really working for me. At first I was really worried about the wider soles on these, especailly the PW and GW, but it really hasn't been an issue. Shots with these clubs are so easy right now, just a nice smooth swing and the ball seems like it is on a string....high and straight right where I hit it and they have plenty of spin when they hit the green...I backed up several today. To me, these clubs are where the perimeter weighting is really working, even when I dont hit the sweet spot the ball only comes up a yard or two short of the intended distance and holds it's line, As somebody else said on one of KB's early reviews, these irons for me have just become "Point and Shoot"...my confidence from 130 and in right now is higher than it has ever been. When I was hitting the R7's I usually had at least 2 to 3 shots a rounds with my scoring clubs that I just flat "chunked" and hit the ball 20-30 yards....I haven't done that in several rounds.... I am really loving these irons.

Overall - These clubs have done wonders for my mental game, I am not standing over the ball thinking "don't do this or that"...I am standing over the ball thinking "smooth and easy", because I know if I put a good swing on the ball that it's going to go where I am aiming or at the very least be really close. Right now, I am a true believer in these clubs, I am already trying to figure out when I can get to the course again.

Once again thanks to THP and to Adams Golf for allowing me the chance to test these clubs.

Nice job TBT, the a12's are really getting it done for you. I love hearing about shots that come off just like you envision, especially out of trouble. Hope you can get back out again soon.

TBT I'm glad these are working out for you and you're hitting a lot of fairways and greens. Nice write up, keep them coming.

Kongfrontation

Well here is the recap of my weekend.
Sat I took the Adams to there first scramble for me. Over all I was very satisfied!! I was able to stick all the greens and three of the four shots were played. I was dealing with a fade all day and I managed to play the fade and let it work for me. Being that the ground on the course was finnally soft and the grass was greened up and a little fluffier from the recent rains, The scoring irons of the set were working very well. I was plugging green after green. There were a few shots with the pitching and gap wedge where the ball never left the point of impact. My friends and I didnt win but we did take third and now I have two free sleeves of pro v1's and a small trophy. There were a few guys that were like what the hell how do you have those clubs allready. I informed them of this great web site and when they asked me how they were working for me I told them I was very happy with there performance and that they should come here and read all the great reviews on this thread. All together the round with these clubs was great for me and I continued my trust in the clubs to do the work for ma and not try to force the shots. I beleive doing that is what is making me so successful with this great set of clubs.

Today i got 9 in this morning on a course I dont play much. Cherrokee rose in Hinesville, GA. It is a longer course than the one I play on base so I got alot more use out of the hybrids. This course was absolutly soaked and I loved it. I could swing away about 190 out and know if I hit the green with the 4 hybrid I knew it was going to stick. I pulled it off twice and was tottally amazed with myself. The gap wedge was working good for me to. Anything within 100 yd I was sticking the green with it. I even gave it a try out of some sand. That didnt work out so well but I knew I wasnt gonna make it with my 60 deg. I tried to get it out with minimal dig but the club bounced a little and didnt want to dig as much as I wanted it to.

Overall I am loving this set and I am getting the feel for each club in its each strong points.

hybrids: Very accurate for me, I just have to make sure I am doing my part by aiming right and giving it a good swing.

7,8: these are good when I need to work the ball left to right and nice high penitrating flight.

9,P,G: Very high and soft landing clubs. I can judge distances very easily and if I dont try to swing to hard very straght and predictable ball flight.

Nice write up Nick! I noticed you said you were playing a bit of a fade. Did that surprise you at all? Reason I'm asking is it kinda surprised me. I don't know why but these irons say, "draw" to me and I can't figure out why I fade it. I've had my swing looked at and usually I'm not over the top.

Played 9 today - Home Course, Red Tees (played forward tees 4600 yards, rating 66.5/108)
Temp in mid 80's, wind 4mph
Played alone - pics only today
Score: 39

I decided to play the forward tees today as I've been struggling a bit with my driver this past week. Figured it would give me a better chance to score using other clubs off the tee if the driver got ugly.

I'm really making some beautiful shots with these irons and hybrids. I think my favorite is the 6 hybrid although i didn't use it today. I'm having my usual mishits but have way more good hits than bad with the Adams clubs. I feel a really great round on the horizon! Just have to get a couple other clubs working to put it all together.

Great recap KB! Glad to see youre finding early success :)

Great write-up TBT, continue to hear great things about that 6 hybrid. Funny, that was the club several folks seemed concerned about because most sets only went through 5H.

Back