Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Had a pretty awful range session today but I'm doing a writeup now. What program does everyone use to edit their videos?

iMovie on Mac or Windows Movie Maker on Windows are the standards. Tons of after market software programs though.

I use iMovie.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I will try the WMM. I'm sorry as I don't mean to make this a movie editing thread but I have some video that is very long and lots of useless stuff in it so I want to cut it down to watchable length.

Great write up Cook. Can't wait to hear your scoring once you get your yardage down with the new swing !

Great write up Cook. Can't wait to hear your scoring once you get your yardage down with the new swing !

Thanks buddy! Lots of golf in my near future after work in addition to tomorrow so I am excited to get this worked out and hopefully playing some really solid golf.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great updates again Cookie. Interesting thoughts on your comparison test. Do you think this session now gives you more confidence in the VR Pro Combos? It seems as if it did immediately, with your 'epiphany' moment - as if you're looking at your technique and you know the irons are suited to your needs. Do you think you'll keep at it with the 'free flowing' swing thought?

Test Date: 10/14/11
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combos PX Graphite Shaft 5.0
My Club: I play the Pro Combos but prior set was Wilson Staff Di11’s
Ball Used: Range balls
Environment: A little cool and windy

Friday night I had a chance to go and hit some balls before it closed. As I’ve said already, I am changing some things about my swing. This is all in the name of consistency. In trying to ingrain the new swing I will be taking a lot of half swings just to get the feel for the proper pivot. So I will be practicing lots of shots under 100 yards. I took a bunch of swings with the PW. When I hit the ball properly I really felt like I crushed it. I was getting almost all of my normal distance with what I thought was a ¾ swing. Ball felt really “lively” off the face. The ¾ swing was producing a nice penetrating flight that I think would do well in windy conditions. By the end I had a pretty nice collection of balls inside a tight grouping. Here are a few swings with the PW

I also was hitting some shots with the 8I that also really felt like they jumped off the face when I struck them well. I feel like I may have been picking the ball very cleanly with a few of the shots. Of course I had some stinkers. The new thing about the stinkers though was that most of them were thin shots which is not something that I ever do. Man I have to tell you that catching the ball thin with these irons is not a pleasant experience. Awful feeling and the ball just goes for days. I was aiming at a green which was 130 yards away and by the end I was pretty happy with the grouping. Here is a video of some 8I swings

Big work in progress. I really feel like once I get this straightened these irons might come to life for me. I felt like on good shots I was really compressing the ball well tonight. We will see if moving forward I can groove this. Very happy with the irons. I hit a few thin that can’t be helped by any GI club. Most of my ball marks were slightly heel side and as usual these shots came off perfectly. I hit a ton of balls. Probably close to 300 shots and man do the graphite shafts really provide an incredible benefit to me on nights like that. With steel shafts I would not be typing right now. I will be hitting balls all weekend.

Very nice write up Chunky but it tells me that the video's are private. I would like to watch your new swing.

Test Date: 10/14/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo Irons with Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts
Testing Purpose: Full Round
My Club: As Above, but previously Wilson fg59
Ball Used: Titleist Pro V1 (2011)
Environment: St Andrews - 60 degrees, bright, 12mph wind.

I made the trip over to St Andrews to play with 3 friends at the Torrance course, part of the Fairmont hotel resort on St Andrews Bay. We got a great day for this time of year, not too much wind, and dry!

Just for a taster, here's a pic -

2011-10-14161459.jpg

I'll have a review of the course itself in the course review section in the next little while - look out for it. But, this thread is for the Nike VR Pro Combos and I'm here to talk about how I got on with them today! :D

Not going to do a hole-by-hole as it might get a bit much. To start, I must state that we played from the whites, and this course really took a bite out of me! It plays long, especially in the breeze and the colder air. The 2nd hole is a 480 yd par 4....and that's not even the back tees.

That means I had plenty of opportunity to stretch the VR Pro Combos. To be honest, the split cavities got the most exercise. This was due to a mix of missed fairways and approaches at some of the shorter par 4s! I'll split this down into sections for each group of clubs, but I have to say that I had a bad ball striking day, and this isn't much like me. I struggled with a couple of thicks, hardly anything thin, and really struggled out of the thicker stuff. Couple that with not being able to read a green for speed or break all day, and you get an idea of how frustrating a day it was!

So, first up - Pocket Cavities -

Sounds weird, but due to the length of the course and the times I missed fairways, I didn't hit a whole bunch of pocket cavities. A couple of 3 irons, laying up on par 5s. I hit these perhaps the best of the bunch actually. If I was playing year round on a links track, I think honestly the 3 and 4 irons may not see a lot of action. Their strength everywhere else could become a weakness in the tougher conditions - they get the ball up easily and provide a nice, high ball flight. Today, I wouldn't complain, as the conditions were nice. The couple of lay-ups I hit ended up in perfect position on the fairway.

Split Cavities -

As I mentioned above, I seemed to hit these most of all during this round. All the par 3s asked for a shot from the splits, and this is where I hit the best ones. I'm starting to allow for the draw now, and it is starting to pay off. All except for one of my tee shots had this little, predictable draw. The one I hit straight still hit the green and stopped pretty quickly. I was finding the greens difficult to hold all day though, due to the dry and breezy conditions.

From the fairway, my ball striking with the splits was not bad. I hit a couple a little heavy, but I was also struggling a little with the yardages from the fairway. The markers were clear, but it just seemed to be playing that much longer for some reason. Perhaps this being in my head led me to abandon my smooth swing ethos for a while and my swing suffered.

From the rough, I really struggled with my ball striking. Just didn't have it during this round. Can't remember one shot from any more than the first cut that I caught cleanly. Quite frustrating, and I lost quite a bit of distance and accuracy with these shots. I've no doubt this is a swing thing, or more a mental thing.

Blades -

Even the blades couldn't really save me today. I didn't have the greatest day with them.

I did hit a couple of PWs from around 100 yards on the par 5s, which were nice and controlled, and also held rather well on these tricky greens. I was pleased with these, as it seems I have learned to control this shot, and the PW feels very comfortable from this distance now. I know I don't need to try to power a 3/4 swing, or take a little off a full swing. Just control it and it'll go.

I hit one beautiful bump n run with the 9 iron, from about 80 yards on a short par 4. Landed it about 10 yards short of the green, up a bank, to a front pin, and it ended up around 5 feet past the pin. Was pleased with that one.

I hit a couple of thick ones with the blades during this round, which is quite foreign to me! I didn't get much reward from the seaside turf when hitting these blades heavy. Short and unforgiving was the result.

The bit I struggled with most was around the green with the PW. I just could not judge a chip on to the green at all. I actually overhit a couple to the extent that it almost ran over the green. For some reason, my little one-bounce-and-grab shot just wasn't on today. I found myself going to the 58 degree wedge as the round wore on.

Summary -

It's a shame I wasn't able to have a better ball striking day, but I guess that's all part of the testing process and it's going to happen. I could see the pocket cavities struggling with the conditions as the year wears on, but today they were pretty useful. I should perhaps have made more use of them as they were the ones I was striking well!

My predictable draw seems to be there on almost every shot with the split cavities, and the ones that don't draw aren't a mile off-line, so I'm quite pleased in that respect. Again, my striking wasn't great with them, so I can see that someone who has a tendency to hit thick shots more often might struggle a bit long-term with these irons.

Really unhappy with the way I handled the PW around the edge of the green. I just don't know if it was an off day, or if the quicker greens just caught me out and I couldn't play a delicate shot with this iron. The few shots I hit from around 100 yds were well struck and reacted really well on these difficult greens, stopping beside their pitch marks, so I was pleased to see that.

Same here chunky video labeled private.:confused2:

Great updates again Cookie. Interesting thoughts on your comparison test. Do you think this session now gives you more confidence in the VR Pro Combos? It seems as if it did immediately, with your 'epiphany' moment - as if you're looking at your technique and you know the irons are suited to your needs. Do you think you'll keep at it with the 'free flowing' swing thought?

Thanks Paulo! Yes, it definitely did give me more confidence in the Nike's when I did not see some striking difference in ball striking with a SGI iron.

For the time being, I am definitely moving forward with the free flowing technique; if nothing else it clears my mind as I am not thinking about every aspect of the swing. Promising results from day 1 on the course and I can't wait to get back out tomorrow!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Nice photo Paulo, that bunker in the photo looks hungry. I'm guessing your right on with your comment with the P/W the greens are probably lightning fast and control is a must to get close. Overall it sounds like you did make some really good shot's with your Irons today. Great report

That should work. First time using WMM

Nice photo Paulo, that bunker in the photo looks hungry. I'm guessing your right on with your comment with the P/W the greens are probably lightning fast and control is a must to get close. Overall it sounds like you did make some really good shot's with your Irons today. Great report

Thanks! I guess I did make quite a few good swings, but with the course I was playing, a bad shot really costs you a shot in most situations - so your game needs to be on.

Great writeup Paulo. Love that pic!

Great writeup Paulo. Love that pic!

Thanks Chunky.

Just got the chance to view your videos. Nice controlled practice going on there - I know it'll take a lot of patience to really groove that new technique. Best of luck with it.

I know what you mean about the thin shots too. I've been surprised at how harsh the thins are throughout the set, especially the pockets (even though I have very little to compare it to with my previous set).

I was just hanging out after a short round this weekend really pondering my summer.. It's certainly getting on in the year and soon the fall wind will turn into winter snow, and it's always nice to take a bit of time out of the grind to really consider what kind of changes I have made in my current golf year, and where I have come (I don't know how you folks do it with the 12 month golf season.. I love golf, but sometimes it's nice to just take a break..).

At the beginning of this year, I was knee deep in trying to make a club fit my game. I was using a set of game enhancement Mizuno's which were killing me on distance, and I had a swing that was digging banana shaped divots in the ground, starting directly at the hole and turning sharply to the left halfway through. It was a golfing low point for me, as I was building on a single digit handicap from 2010 yet couldn't seem to break 85 let alone 80. Two lessons later and about a month of strictly range time, I was finally able to make solid connection on an in to out path, with a set of irons that suited my game.

Enter the VR Pro Combos. I knew an iron change would suit my game, but I also knew that taking a drastic step the way I did in 2010 by going for a large, forgiving, cast iron wasn't the right step for me. I love the adjustability and workability of my wedges, and deep down I really didn't want to give that away for forgiveness. When the time came to sign up for the VR Pro Combos, I spent a good few hours researching them, the characteristics of the three different clubs included in the set, and tried to get a sense of what some of the lower handicappers were thinking when they swung them. Obviously my submission was an easy choice, and much to my delight, I was selected to be a tester.

From even my first range session with them I could tell they were a special set of irons. While many iron sets seem to focus on a few distinct characteristics to benefit the player, these seem to be incredibly dynamic in that each club type you select seems to cater to the right needs, while giving an appropriate level of forgiveness. To be able to confidently swing a 7 iron while not worrying as much about shaping my shots was a real treat. Obviously there are times for that, and there are times where you just want to hit the ball straight, and it seems only logical that the lower the iron, the less inclined one would be in doing so.

I think the proof is in the pudding. My index today is a 3.5, down from a season opening 6.1 and a season worst 8.6, which I think linked directly to the inability to function properly with my existing irons. My year low score was a 73, on a course designed by Arnold Palmer to make people cry, and I flirted with sub par rounds on a handful of occasions, with my VR Pro combo irons leading the charge with solid stroke and solid stroke.

HandicapIndex1017.png

As you can see, it's only shortly after my acquisition of the VR Pro Combos that my index begins to drop significantly. Am I going to suggest that the ONLY factor here are the irons? Probably not. I've got a handful of new clubs in my bag this year that suit my game well, along with a much better putting game and a lot of sweat on the range, but I do think they played an integral part in my transition. They are the whole package, and while I struggled throughout the entire summer with the pocket cavities, even on mishits they found a way to at least get close to the desired target. Simply put, these clubs gave me the confidence I needed in my game to take it to a level I didn't think I would be able to see again. They gave me the ability to step up and nail a shot without considering all of the possible errors.

My expectations were pretty wide open entering this testing, but I certainly wasn't without concerns. My two main concerns were the pocket cavities and the transition irons, where I would come to prefer one club type over the other and something that would cause me to trap myself in going after a shot or laying off a shot with a club I preferred over what likely would be the appropriate iron.

In regards to the pockets, I would be lying if I said I still wasn't set on them. While I have found quite a bit more success with them as the months have passed, I am still not convinced that going with a split 4 iron and a hybrid 3 iron isn't the better scenario for my game. I think the feedback lost between the 5 and the 4 is a bit frustrating, and that my swing flaws which cause my 5 iron to draw left get reduced to the point of confusion when approaching the 4 iron. Simply put, it is one of the harder transitions in the bag.

Moving on to the transitions, aka 8 blade to 7 split or 5 split to 4 pocket, I will once again fall on the disappointment of the latter more than the former. I can't really say that I notice a terrible variation between the 8 and the 7, and I really like that. The distances remain fairly constant and the accuracy is close to the same, which I am quite pleased about. Again though, I find the 5 split and the 4 cavity to be the most troubling transition. They are (to me) two very different clubs, and while Nike has done an absolutely tremendous job in matching the look and design between the two, the feedback provided to me and the shot variations between the two cause me to consider a hard 5 when I am in 4 iron distance. Certainly I blame myself for not being a more dynamic player, but it is absolutely worth noting.

In conclusion to this book of a review, (and thanks to anyone reading this far) I would absolutely make this switch all over again if I could go back. It was a tremendous experience and a great opportunity to step out of the game enhancement irons exclusively, and pursue more functional options without losing out on the feel and feedback that I have been so used to getting in my iron game. Not only do I think the VR Pro Combos are the most functional/dynamic set of clubs on the market this year, I think they are without a doubt some of the most attractive, as well as being some of the best overall irons. I would recommend them to anyone considering new irons, probably within the handicaps of 2-20. The clubs certainly provide an increased level of forgiveness in the lower irons, but they still make you work pretty hard for pure, quality connection.

-Canadan

Video's working now Chunky, nice controlled swing you'll have those greens dialed in soon.

Canadan that was a great post. Thank you

That's some great thinking there Dan. I like a lot of what you're saying, and I can see similarities in my own thought process. Really got me thinking about my own experiences with these irons.

Ps Sounds like you've had a great learning process this year.

Great reflective write up Canadan. These clubs are on my list to test when I make the move up from my GI clubs. Thanks for your review.

Canadan that was a great post. Thank you

Thanks CL!

That's some great thinking there Dan. I like a lot of what you're saying, and I can see similarities in my own thought process. Really got me thinking about my own experiences with these irons.

Ps Sounds like you've had a great learning process this year.

It was definitely an experience.. It was also kind of a weird transition because this entire I went from thinking I knew exactly what was right for my game, to being opened up to a recognition that there are a whole lot of avenues to take when pursuing new clubs. I think I am in a great place with my bag right now, but being involved in THP and experiencing testings like this one has really opened doors for me in terms of growth.

Great reflective write up Canadan. These clubs are on my list to test when I make the move up from my GI clubs. Thanks for your review.

I appreciate that sw, and I really hope you keep these close to the top of your testing list. At a 14 handicap, I think these might be the perfect tool for you to get into the single digits.

Excellent updates as always, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing those swings, Chunky!

Excellent updates as always, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing those swings, Chunky!

They are coming. But first I think I need to go to the doctors office. My sons foot looks pretty awful where he got bit yesterday

I really enjoyed that write up Canadan and as you said: "proof is in the pudding". I am taking off today since I played the last 2 days but tomorrow is supposed to be really windy and sub 70 - I am thinking it is time to play 9 with irons only and work on some knock down shots!

Chunky - that swing looks nice and controlled. I have the same issue with the thin shots being uncomfortable with the V2's. Keep it up buddy. Seeing you swing like that makes me really think.

Back